Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Big Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

The Aptek only films 10 fps for 120 seconds, weighs 1.6 oz. and still has that lens aimed out the side. Probably not worth it even though you can get it from Walgreens for $40.00.

BB
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM
htjoel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey BB and GG,

I figured that I can stitch 3-4 120 sec clips together and edit them to make a halfway decent vid. Looked @ Walgreens website and the Aiptek was listed for 69.99. Where did you see it for $40? Was it in-store? Not really a bad deal if you consider the Shadio Rack POS would only do 20 secs of vid.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess all you can do is try it.
I'm still trying for the Multipod. I may have located one in Canada, and I have my chum,Cadetman, looking in the Uk, it's under the Verbatim name in Europe.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Big Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's where I saw the Aptek at Walgreens for $39.99: http://www.epinions.com/Aiptek_Mini_...__Camera_PCM13
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the Aptik looks like it has many problems (read those reviews). Wish I'd bought more multipods now! GG did Tom at Octave say WHY they had discontinued the multipod? I have a feeling it was just a bit too good for the "powers that be" who are now attacking cameraphones becuase it's so easy to covertly take somones picture doing something they could get blackmailed for. Like the Philips GoGear Key019 my Multipod also has 128 Meg of storage htjoel. There is a new device I saw at a cellphone shop about a month ago that took pix and videos but I think it was basically the size of a small cellphone (kinda large for us). I'll try to check into it.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lib,
Roy, sorry I thought it was Tom, said was due to lack of sales??????
I think they jumped the gun on that decision.[]
Here's a copy of last email.

Hi Brad

Despite some incredible press coverage for the Multipod, sales did not reach the level we anticipated. Therefore we decided to drop the project and concentrate on our core business – CD & DVD duplicators.

Your interest is appreciated. Sorry we could not be of service

Seasons greetings and regards

Roy Worthington
Old 12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
htjoel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys,

go directly to Aiptek's site, www.aiptek.com, and see the Pencam Mega 1.3 for $19.99! !!! I know that the reviews have not been sparkling on this product, but for $20 and $5 shipping(plus you even get a free stuffed X-Mas teddy bear), I don't know that I can pass up this deal. Best case, it will take decent enough clips that I can use to make in-flight vids. Worst case, it's a neat little toy that I'll keep in my glove box for low-res digital pix or use as a webcam.

Later,
Joel

P.S.
Just got off phone with Octave systems, apparently they're developing a new replacement for the Multipod that's slated for release early next year. Hopefully it'll have more memory or a movable/tiltable lens. The tech I spoke to had no info except that it will be an improvement over the previous model.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey htjoel. I guess if you splice together enough of those 30 second clips it'll kinda look like one big flight.

The unit I was thinking of before is called the Panasonic SV-AV50S 2MP MPEG-4 Camcorder w/2.5x Digital Zoom. You can get a 1Gig or 512 Meg card for it and then it works decently but I'd guess it's gonna be too big for our uses. The reviews are not that great either and it's pricey. It pretends to be a portable MPEG video/still camera, voice recorder alot like the multipod but the videocard it comes with is a joke (8 Meg).

Glad Octave is gonna try again on the Multipod.
As awesome as my multipod is I'd have to consider getting the new version once it comes out especially if it's as cheap as this one was.

Since that's not yet available have any of you guys looked at http://www.blackwidowav.com/ ?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:59 PM
P-51 Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have recently acquired the Parkzone P-51 Mustang and am having a rough time hand launching it. (Crashed 2 times on launch resulting in a broken horizontal stabilizer, spinner, and left wing tip.) What were your throttle and trim settings and how much does the plane need to be launched into the air. Any advice is much needed.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:20 AM
htjoel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Flyer,

if you go back a couple of pages I was suffering from the same issues you were. With some hints and tips from the guys on this thread, I haven't lawn darted on launch since !!

Always launch at WOT (wide open throttle). Add some right trim to combat prop torque. Trim the elevator with a few clicks of up trim. Launch with an UPWARD throw with as much strength as you can muster. Don't worry about the airframe, it can handle it.

Be prepared to add up elevator as soon as you launch, if your throw isn't strong enough, Frankie will definitely dip down and to the left.

Good Luck, and let us know how you fare with Frankie.

Happy Flying,
Joel
Old 12-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Cougar27

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help. I made the mistake 2 days ago of not charging it enough! Crashed twice breaking the spinner and the foil beneath the wings! (The clear plastic bit!) I've ordered a new spinner (Well 2 in fact) But It seemed to bear left, and I even opened the throttle wide and threw it high! Any useful help/advice would be great! Also if I were to somehow manage to fit an undercarriage to it, is there a possibility that it can take off from the ground?

Thanks.

P.S Merry Xmas to all!!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cougar,
It sounds like a torque roll, which was preceeded by a stall condition, due to the weak pack
A little right trim on the ailerons will help with the left roll.
And don't forget to charge the pack. LOL

Torque roll is enhanced by throttle position, the more throttle you apply the more it wants to go left.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 PM
P-51 Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joel

Thanks for the help cant wait to fix the broken parts and try it again
Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 PM
P-51 Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anybody know how diificult it is to switch the electronics out of a broken p-51 wing and put them into a new wing
Old 12-27-2005, 01:11 AM
L0stS0ul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The servo is just hot glued into the wing. Cut the glue with a hobbyknife until you can wiggle it out of the space. Then just peal the hot glue off the servo and reinstall in the new wing with hot glue. I love my hot glue gun.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Zebalon5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey all, Has anyone tried replacing the stock electronics in there p-51 with the stock electronics from a busted Pz typhoon yet? curious to hear how much of a performance upgade it would be. I have two typhoons, one will never fly again. (never let your little brother borrow your plane) wanted to swap out everything to one of my p-51's.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Cougar27

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GG,

Thanks for the tip. Do you know where I can get that clear plastic part that is fitted beneath the wing? (Air Intake I think?)
Also where did you get your Landing gear set from and does it take off okay with a landing gear set fitted? I'd be interested to find out! Anything to make landing easier so nothing gets broken!!

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As far as the air scoop is concerned I'd get it (and any reserve parts you might like to have on hand) from Redrockethobbies.com
A guy named Matt seems to run the place and will give you $5 off if you order more than $50 (I think).

From the reviews I've read the Mustangs won't take off from the ground unless you add a working rudder and 4th channel and of course all the new radio gear replacing the old stuff.[&o]
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Rocketman1959

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cougar27

GG,

Thanks for the tip. Do you know where I can get that clear plastic part that is fitted beneath the wing? (Air Intake I think?)
Also where did you get your Landing gear set from and does it take off okay with a landing gear set fitted? I'd be interested to find out! Anything to make landing easier so nothing gets broken!!

Thanks.
I think this is the piece you want...
[link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com/product_p/pkz1527.htm]http://www.redrockethobbies.com/product_p/pkz1527.htm[/link]
Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
skilledplanewrecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i got a p-51 d mustang from parkzone and I got my brother to help me who has been flying for years and we couldnt get it to fly. when we throw it it does a barrel roll and slams into the ground even turning all the opposite direction
Old 12-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Rocketman1959

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would think a barrel roll at that speed would point to something really wrong like ailerons or a wing warp. Go back through the assembly and see if something pops up like wing mounting or cross control. Something like left turn...left aileron up? Or, is it backwards? Check everything.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 AM
bkrfrmhell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with rocketman....something must be seriously wrong... I have almost 100 flights on my mustang and have only replaced the spinner and the reciever ( plug broke disconnecting servo wire..fat fingers) I have read this column from start to finish and I think everyone who owns a mustang and wants to get there moneys worth out of it should also. If someone can't take an hour out of there day to read this...I am sure they won't do a proper preflight either...they can almost be guarenteed to smash up this plane. I would much rather sit here reading and glancing at my flawless, undamaged plane...Than be spending hours patching up and replacing parts making the plane into a "frankenstein" more than a ferocious frankie. Just a few tips if some still won't read the whole forum.

#1 neatly use clear box tape to cover the underside of your wing and stabilizer, unless you land on a putting green it will get nicked and chewed up...also makes the wing extemely strong for high "G" manuvers.

#2 Relocate your reciver to the front side of the fuse.....screws from wing will peirce the reciver. Also this will give you some extra cable for connecting/disconnecting the battery.

#3 Neatly run your servo leads along the side of the fuse and use box tape to hold them. Keep everything 2 inches away from the anttenae wire. You will be glitch free.

#4 Disconnect the linkages frome the ailerons and elevator and move each surface back and forth by hand to loosen them up. This will eliminate alot of the servo buzz and binding problems... the foam connectings are pretty stiff.

#5 While your linkages are unhooked move the aileron linkage to the top hole and the elevator two holes up. Keep on low rates and plane flies beautifly scale and very agile. Make sure all surfaces are level at neutral trims.

#6 Make sure your battery is fully charged, at full throttle plane should darn near yank itself out of your hand. If not don't waste your time and trash the plane, figure out whats wrong.

#7 Launch always at full throttle....torque roll is not worth talking about as prop is so light. Keep aileron trim neutral , but use full up elevator trim. Concentrate on a nice level or slightly upward level toss. If you have to try and javelin it... go back to #6

#8 If this is your first or second plane....take it back to the store...or hang in in your rec room. It is a suitable first low winger, but because it is ready to fly people thing it must be easy.

Optional - Add deans connectors for your motor and battery and break in your motor with the glass of water method.

Have fun... I know I am!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Libertarian

As far as the air scoop is concerned I'd get it (and any reserve parts you might like to have on hand) from Redrockethobbies.com
A guy named Matt seems to run the place and will give you $5 off if you order more than $50 (I think).

From the reviews I've read the Mustangs won't take off from the ground unless you add a working rudder and 4th channel and of course all the new radio gear replacing the old stuff.[&o]
Ditto what Lib said.
You need to remember my Stang has a hot brushless set up in it, so it can handle the weight of the retracts. I guess you could install a set of non retractible gear, similar to the E-flite P47.
Still have to go with hand launch, but landings may be a little easier. If you do go this route, be sure center point of the wheel is ahead of the CG, otherwise she'll tip on her nose.

bkrfrmhell,
Good set of tips. Might add the check the control tubes for loosness too.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I finally got my lazy butt in gear and started the air retract install in a new wing.
If anyone is interested I can post info and shots on it. But be forewarned, I kinda went overboard on the photos, to be sure you can understand the "how too's".
Also this is not a cheap set up, the system alone was over $100.00, so don't attempt this unless you have some flight time with the Mustang under your belt.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Cougar27

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi GG,

When you centre point the CG, what do you mean? I was actually thinking of just poutting a non-retractible landing gear on it? Do you know where you can get the Tail wheel and Landing gear from for the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.