Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
smackdn775

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

hello all this is my third electric (just got it for christmas), well I have to say this is a nice stock flyer. I have read this thread and have seen alot of folks say that they have been having alot of problems with launch. well I had my dad do the test flight ( he's been flying r/c for about 50 years now) to trim it out for me. I did a nice level throw and he had the power just short of full, well it did take a slight downward angle but then he added power and she took off like a champ. My brother bought one several months ago and he seemed to have the same problem of rolling into the ground right after the throw, well he bought a new wing from the local hobby shop and now his flys good too.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Cougar27

Hi guys,

Has anyone thought about adding some weight in the tail end to counter-balance the things to try and stop it from nose-diving???

Also any idea why my P51 now has the problem of lack of power since it nose dived into the ground and broke the prop??? I have used 2 batteries, both fully charged, have checked the power on both batteries and both are fine!! Checked the gearing and that seems to be fine? (No teeth missing!!) Do you think iot might be the motor on its way out or could it possibly be something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Cougar,
With landing gear, the main wheels need to be forward of the CG. CG is the balance point of the bird. So keep the wheels forward of this point when setting it up. On mine the wheels are slightly ahead of the leading edge of the wings leading edge, viewed from the side.
That way the weight of the bird keeps the nose up and tail down.

As for your motor problem, it could be the motor. But I would check the pinion or prop shaft gears. See if they stripped on the motor or prop shafts. Either of these would cause a lack of power. Also look at the prop mount. If the nut stripped on the shaft the prop can free wheel.

DO NOT ADD WEIGHT TO THE TAIL UNLESS ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY TO BALANCE IT.
Tail heavy will make it very squirrley in the air and won't help the nose dive at all.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Air Sally

hi all ...i'm new here;My son and I just got the pz p-51 for christmas.I read most of the stuff on this forum.we used a little up trim and 3 clicks of right trim for the launch....they fly great ,very scale we had no proplems .but we did use some ideas that were discused in these forums so we were successful,most fun i've had with an r/c plane in years.it is not for the beginner. Ito feel that it is a bit nose heavy ,but i dont want it to stall,in the past with my glow powered warbirds nose heavy is safer. thanks for all the great post found here. ilove this plane it's so scale looking in flight.we love the scale size prop arc that you can see on fly by's.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Little Sally

Hey guys....i'd have to agree, these little suckers are sweeeet! this is my second p-51(first was a .40 sized GP) and my 5th warbird in general...i didnt think it was going to fly so well for being so small, but my dad and i have been having a blast. ive done a few things to visually spruce it up, along with relocating the esc/reciever, adjusting the gear lash on the gear box/adding lube to gear box/bearings, i painted it like the p-51 at the planes of fame air museum...my GP p-51 was done up the same way, and my dads dynaflite 51 was also done the same way....way back in 85'....sorry dad...its been pretty long....anywho, no complaints yet...all fun.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Little Sally

here are some pics from a recent succesful day at the feild...thats me with my bird...and my dad show'n off both sallys...got to love'em!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32867.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	379503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29309.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	379504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90643.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	379505  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
tclaridge

Litty Sally,
Nice paint job. Great shot in the air.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
drebins2003

read most of the tread on the p51 getting mine this week hopefully but dose any 1 now if u can just up grade on the motor (brushless) with out haveing to swap the speed controler and other things in the plane??

many thanks drebin.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Cougar27

I was wondering that exact same thing, as got a brushless motor and speed controller, which I was planning to put into my Walkera 36 Dragonfly (Heli). Does it only work with Lipo batteries, or can I use the stock battery!?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
hrwatson68

You can run your stock packs with the brushless controller and motor. You will save weight and fly faster of course on LiPo packs, but don't even think of buying a LiPo pack until you read and most importantly, understand all of the safety rules about them.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Cougar27

Yeah I've suffered from my unfortunate mistakes with Lipo's!!! Mine blew and caught alight and was only on charge for about half an hour!!! I don't trust these imports from Japan on our UK voltage!! May be fine elsewhere!? But I always make sure I buy one from my local model shop now! Warning to anyone thinking about getting a Lipo battery from another country!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Glacier Girl

Ditto what Hr said.

You CAN run it brushless with reg packs.
You CANNOT run it brushless with the stock receiver/speed control unit
You will need a new receiver and brushless speed control and servos if you want to go this route. As the PZ servos will not work with a standard receiver.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
drebins2003

glacier girl so i would have to buy a new controlor and survos motor and speed controlor to make it bushless???and if this is right is it realy worth it or shud i go for something else????it just i got a few pz and hz and i realy like them but i just want something with a bit more power so any help with kits or advice will greatly accepeted .

many thanks drebin
Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Air Sally

Hi all the weather broke today in ca. so i went for a flight after work..a little windy (15 mph).This was my frist self launched flight...and im left handed,so i had to hold the plane in front of the wing push the throttle up to full with my right thumb throw the plane and and start flying .used up trim and 4 clicks of right and it flew straight away,and no dip or torque roll...sweet.Iguess the wind helped with the take off. my son and i have yet to see the much talked about left turn and dip that many people have complained about is it possible pz has made some kind of change?we tried to stall our mustang sally's at alt with and without power to see the dreaded "tip stall" all we got was some mushing and a slight wing drop to the left,as soon as we released controls it recovered,we also practiced eng. out gliding and with a little up trim they had a predicable glide from hundred feet you could do 2 360's and set up for landing.we are really starting to love these planesi have 11 flights so far.i have a gp eletra fly 1350 3s lipo,it does'nt get warm at all when i charge it???plane fly better on it but it does'nt fit into the batt. hatch ,so wing must be removedand pack taped in place so as to not move and change c.g. Happy new year keep'em flying.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Ditto what Hr said.

You CAN run it brushless with reg packs.
You CANNOT run it brushless with the stock receiver/speed control unit
You will need a new receiver and brushless speed control and servos if you want to go this route. As the PZ servos will not work with a standard receiver.
Actually you CAN run it with the stock Rx and servos but NOT the stock speed controller. Here is a page with the info needed to convert to brushless the cheap way with the Powerzone controler unit I just bought.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=64

Old 01-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Glacier Girl

Thanks Lib,
I had forgot about that.
As for why do I suggest a complete change over on electronics?
Better performance and reliability.
PZ/ HZ sell a nice plane. The electronics are good but not as bullet proof as I like.
Switching to a standard system gives you more options.
With them I could not have installed retracts and tail wheel steering, nor gotten more performance and reliability out of my versions.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 AM
drebins2003

so what ur saying is that i can upgrade my p51 by just buying a brushless motor and speed contolor and still use all the stock stuff with it survos and tx????
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: drebins2003

so what ur saying is that i can upgrade my p51 by just buying a brushless motor and speed contolor and still use all the stock stuff with it survos and tx????

You CAN do it if you use a Powerzone ($30)>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=64 .
I just bought a E-Flite 40-Amp Brushless ESC (V2) (You can also use a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 but it's pricier) and an E flite brushless outrunner motor (450 BL 910 KV (stock # EFLM 150). I also got a new canopy for clearer videos for you guys!
Old 01-06-2006, 06:43 AM
drebins2003

been looking at the esc's and the phionix sounds good to me but what is the best motor to use with it???
Old 01-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Glacier Girl

Lib,
Check out my reply at WATT, on your set up.[]
Old 01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Lib,
Check out my reply at WATT, on your set up.[]
Hey GG and Drebins. Mike at RedRocket made the recommendation he did E flite brushless outrunner motor (450 BL 910 KV (stock # EFLM 150) because the specs on that motor said a 30 3D plane so he thought for normal flight it should work. We cancelled the motor part of my order though because he agreed it would not have enough power for a 2 to 3 pound plane. Thanks for saving me from making a screwup GG. I owe ya a case of brew! NOW I Do need a good recommendation for a motor that WILL work with my 40 amp controller. Anything bigger Mike said would require large upgrades (Tx, huge batts, esc, servos for a mega motor etc) into a thousand dollar airplane stratosphere where I'm not gonna go. I crash too often for that
Amyway, I'd appreciate you experts out there suggesting a motor that will make this plane cook without cooking my batt or giving me 2 minute flights. Mike sugested that Axis, Castle Creations, Permax, and Contronix motors could be a good shopping group. He thought a 480 to (maybe) 600 series should work, but thought a 600 could be too big. Electronics-wise I'm a clueless neophyte so I'd REALLY appreciate some help. [:-]
Old 01-06-2006, 08:15 PM
drebins2003

well i hope u do find something quick lib because all im doin is going of your advice coz its getting over my head with e fight im a car man that want to move on coz its a lot more fun flying then being stuck on the floor tryin to get some air lol keep us all posted.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
L0stS0ul

Lib,

What about a BP-12 on a 9050 HD prop? Pulls about 12 amps and produces ~130 watts of power. I bet it would work on the P-51. My GWS corsair is not much lighter than the P-51 and it rocks on that thing. Plus the motor is only $20

Stats on BP-12

Kv: 1530
Maximum current: 12A

use with TP 2100mAh 11.1v lipo on a GWS 9050 HD prop. Thrust is well over 21oz. I wish I had a thrust stand but I don't. If it produces 19oz on a 8040 it's gotta be up around 23-25oz on the 9050. My corsair is probably around 20 oz. I doubt the P-51 with the lipo is still 29 oz. I get 15 minutes flights on my setup with the 1320mAh 11.1v TP lipo in my corsair. I bet the 2100mAh would be well over 20 minutes.

I don't think the BP-21 would have enough thrust for the plane but the 12 might be able to do it. I might rig something up and give it a try in mine if I get bored this winter lol.

[link=http://www.balsapr.com/common/searchSingleView.asp?ProductId=U635171]BP-12 Site[/link]

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24751&sort=1&cat=500&page=1]Video of BP-12 in a GWS Corsair...[/link]
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
wilson Co.

Thanks lostsoul, GG, lib, to name a few who took the time.

Picked up a new p51 off ebay for 150 shipped. I learned on the Decathalon and J3 (among other Vtail planes that are actually harder to fly IMO than a 3ch) to the point where I can fly inverted on the Cub now and I was looking to step it up a little. Learned a lot from this thread. Printed out the checklist and tore into her.

Took the bird out for her maiden today and the winds were a little much for my comfortability level with a new plane, but couldn't resist the empty field and charged batteries!. Probably 15mph with some gusts higher than that. Launched her swiftly with a slight up angle and full trim... Shot out of my hands (the wind was a big help here) and off I was.

Once in flight I corrected my trims and made a few laps around the fields... with the wind at her back the plane was plenty quick. Since this is my first aileron plane I went through about 5 additional laps of simple eights. The wind gusts were really scaring me, so I brought here back into the wind for her first touchdown. Again, without the wind I may not have faired so well, but I was able to slow it down enough for a textbook landing (for a bird with no gear). With about 1'- 1.5' of altitude left I cut power and pulled back and flopped it in for a landing. Wouldn't you know the only precaution I didn't do was tape over the battery latch and it caught in the wet/muddy/soft/patchy grass and pulled it off. I recovered it and will glue it and tape it from now on until it's broke for good.

Thanks again! ...and if you read through this whole thread looking for inspiration, you can add me to the list. I never thought I'd be able to fly until these planes from PZ.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: L0stS0ul

What about a BP-12 on a 9050 HD prop? Pulls about 12 amps and produces ~130 watts of power. I bet it would work on the P-51. My GWS corsair is not much lighter than the P-51 and it rocks on that thing. Plus the motor is only $20

Stats on BP-12

Kv: 1530
Maximum current: 12A

use with TP 2100mAh 11.1v lipo on a GWS 9050 HD prop. Thrust is well over 21oz. I wish I had a thrust stand but I don't. If it produces 19oz on a 8040 it's gotta be up around 23-25oz on the 9050. My corsair is probably around 20 oz. I doubt the P-51 with the lipo is still 29 oz. I get 15 minutes flights on my setup with the 1320mAh 11.1v TP lipo in my corsair. I bet the 2100mAh would be well over 20 minutes.

I don't think the BP-21 would have enough thrust for the plane but the 12 might be able to do it. I might rig something up and give it a try in mine if I get bored this winter lol.

Looks good to me! That plane really cooks on the one you have in it. The site says it is firewall compatible so I guess I'd bolt it to the firewall. GG what do you think? Would you check out the stats on the motor. In electrics I have to admit I'm kinda a lost soul too, lol. Someone, (maybe Myklos?) had a video of a PZ P-51 brushless doing about a 10 minute flight about a year or so ago and that plane was cooking! drebins2003 trust me when I say I want to find the RIGHT motor as fast as you do!!! Lost soul I love the price! The E-flight motor was $52 so $20 is great! GG I await your verdict. I want the hottest motor I can squeeze in the plane and not have problems.
Thanks guys!![:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.