Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:04 PM
dsilver668

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

WOW Sniper nice good launches. Still wondering about the bad one. I had one like that and managed to get it right side up before doing a slight belly flop. Of course I am totaly stock..

@SABREPD
Tell us more about the 480!! The PZ is a 480 already, but wasn't sure if there was any resonable boost. My plane is so enemic if it is a little windy, or even not it is hard to fly because there just isn't any power at all. It stinks, I don't need to be 1:1 but just having power to hand launch comfotably, and maybe even do a role with out loosing altitude it might be nice.

I have a GWS under construction now, and can't wait to get it out..
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 AM
gunracer

the 480 brushless outrunner is not the same as the stock brushed 480 can motor in the p51...probably results in a 200-300% power gain...i just ordered an e-flite 6 series 2700kv inrunner for the p51...hope to have it installed by the weekend...i'll post some numbers, my findings and maybe a video...
Old 05-19-2006, 01:25 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sniper1

thanks for the help afpe-45. i hope this works. dont laugh too hard at my sloppy launch technique and sarcastic wife!

http://media.putfile.com/launch-crash

http://media.putfile.com/launch-crash-slow
Your vids look almost exaclty like what happens when i try to hand launch with same results. Now, I have landing gear on all my planes after destroying 3 planes.... LOL It never seemed to matter whether the plane was level or not, the same thign would happen. Anyhow....now with LG, I have no problem at all, but I do have paved surfaces to take off and land on.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Libertarian

Did it again! Proved simpler is better. Crashed my overdeveloped, Outrunner Brushless, LIPO'd, foamed/braced, (see pic) 4-Blade prop, Stang once again (though I had two good flights in between crashes) but each with SCARY torque roll to the left. See vid.[link=http://media3.uploadjar.com/file.php?file=uploads/blfoamedflight.asf]Foamed BL Flight[/link]Note the Multipod picture kind of freaks out twice when I give it negative G's flying inverted! The wings were almost vertical (massive torque roll!) within a few feet of launch on both flights but I manage to recover the first time (due no doubt to a healthy amount of power). Rather than mounting the camera in Frankie (see pic) this time I tried to mount the Multipod camera under the right wing opposite a bottle of Locktite for balance. That is a really short video, [link=http://www.momoshare.com/video/view.php?video=bd0544406804d563c523b05083968ff2]Wingview crash[/link] Lately each time I launch Frankie I get terrible torque roll to the left. My girlfriend says I should launch with the motor going slower for less opposite torque. If you've seen/heard this monster on WOT you might agree it's just too much torque. Since I have a 4-blade prop (with lots of drag) she may be right. Its only a 9 x 7 so the length isn't bad (being an inch shorter than stock) but its got those 2 extra blades. It performs awesome once I'm up though. The outrunner Axi motor also probably has tons of torque/flywheel effect to counter as well. Mostly its just gotten worse since I foamed the fuse. Maybe the extra weight makes accelerating the plane harder so it just rolls instead? I tested the fuse alone for balance and it seems very close to perfect as far as left and right (a miracle compared to the last time I foamed one which was waaaaaay off). It has to be more nose heavy with the reinforcement and foaming I've done (see pics) but I'm not sure where the C of G is or if that's even the problem. Of course I always launch with trim set right and up but it only helps once I get up some speed. Maybe I'm not throwing hard enough? Watching sniper throw I noticed I barely toss mine compared to him, even though they are always flat throws.

Oh well back to the drawing board. I've killed my 2nd (and last) FS 400 4-blade hub. Time to order some more so I can fly again.[]
Damn, Hobby Lobby charges $8 to ship these tiny plastic hubs![:@] 6 hubs cost $6 but the cheapest shipping they offer is $8!
Cracked my last cowl too so I'm off to RedRocket.com for a few more of those.

BTW guys you can supposedly upload videos up to 100 Meg on Myspace (supposedly, since mine froze twice around 80% of 27 meg) and you can upload 50 Meg files for free at: [link=http://www.yourfilelink.com/]Yourfile[/link] and [link=http://www.free-webhosts.com/image-hosting/UploadJar/]UploadJar[/link] except they have to be downloaded every 45 days or so or they'll get deleted. Left click on the link then right click on the link once you get to the site and download em to your desktop (or somewhere on your PC) then (left click) & watch em, otherwise it'll take forever to watch them, (in case someone didn't know that).
In fact I was finally able to download my entire SCARY!!!! 30 knot gusty, windy day flight/crash here: [link=http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=105449]Windy flight crash[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48686.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	463649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12274.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	463650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35090.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	463651  
Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Crashcrazy

Red Twilight

I tried to find out about the Parkzone Typhoon brushless motor stats a while back and remember getting an email - but a quick search through the inbox came up dry. It was either someone on one of these threads or I emailed horizon hobby or parkzone themselves and I think, and only think that it is actually a 4200rpm/v motor which I think makes it a 4200kv?? I looked through all of my Typhoon documentation and while there is plenty about the ESC (20amp con; 25amp peak) almost nothing about the motor. Someone else might know something more - I saw the 3700 figure stated as you did on previous posts. One of my mates actually changed the front of his mustang to take the whole Typhoon gearbox kit - but it was a fair bit of stuffing around and I don't think much would be recoverable in a big face plant (lots of glue, foam etc). With the 8:1 Typhoon gearbox and prop it actually has a similar speed to the Typhoon which almost defeats the purpose because the Typhoon isn't a total speed demon. With mine I just did what a heap of others have done on this forum - left the 3:1 Mustang gearbox and wacked in the Typhoon brushless with original Mustang prop. Goes quick and nice. As of yet have had no problems with overheating - motor or ESC and I drive around at full power most of the time. Admittedly I have only 1 LiPo and about 6 NiMH packs and I actually spend most of the time flying with the NiMH packs. I get about 9 mins from even my old Parkzone packs on the modified Mustand and about 12 with the Typhoon. I have also got 2 x 1400mamp NiMH packs which give me about 5 mins extra on both. All the packs fly at least 3 times each weekend and come down pretty hot eg warm enough to cause a bit of pain in the hand. So probably close to the limit BUT they have done this for over 6 months and I am absolutely happy with life vs cost. I guess from the direction of your question you are worried about amp draw and blowing things up. I don't use motorcalc or anything like that - just go with fortune favours the brave - also the Parkzone brushless motor and ESC are dirt cheap so if the ESC blows I will either just get another or up the amps. Because I don't use the LiPo with the mod Mustang I really am not going to miss too much if things go bad. I think some have even tried the Parkzone brushless motor in the Stryker as a direct drive which would put even more load on but not sure about the outcomes? My suggestion - go for it; gives you power, cheaply to get out of trouble but I have a love/hate relationship with my two Mustangs - prefer flying the Stryker or Typhoon. My wife says I look like Mr Magoo with constipation when I fly the Mustangs because I am concentrating so hard and evertime I get it down ok I can sympathise with everyone who claps after you successfully land in a Russian airliner!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
RedTwilight

Thanks crashcrazy! I'm actually trying to decide which motor to go with for my PZ-51. Currently it's between the PZ Typhoon brushless and the Aon 2815 brushless. I know the Aon is a little more expensive. I just want to get all the stats so I can make a good decision.
Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
KingCobra79

Hey, I figured out how to save the battery door. I installed a Great Planes wing skid in front of the door. Works great. Now I don't know what to do with all of the spare doors I have now for the P51.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 PM
gunracer

just bench tested the new e-flite 6 series 2700kv motor...ran two tests using the stock prop, gearbox and 3s 2100 batt...

auw 28.4 oz
peak amps 34.2
peak watts 385.8 (217.4 watts per pound!)

i'll get her in the air tomorrow morning and report my findings...hope the wing doesn't fold...wish me luck...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:33 PM
australian p-51

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Just to let you know i have been flying the ParkZone Mustange for the last 12 months and have found it a fantastic plain to fly. vary rarly have any problems with it and with the 3 cell lipo 2200 i have found it to be fast and fun. after listening to all the people in this post talk about upgrading their mustangs i have to think wis it woth doing all this to a plane that was never designed to handle. remember people this is a plane that uses 2 servos and a 480 size motor its not ment to be an arobatic plane nore a speed demon.

for all those people that are looking for a p-51 mustang to do this too why not purchase the ultrafly P-51 mustang. this plane as every thing already installed on it like FLAPS, RETRACTABLE LANDING GEAR, BRUSHLESS MOTOR, AIRALONS,. JUST ADD YOUR OWN RADIO AND YOUR AWAY.

surly this would be a better plane to play with and modify.

anyway here is a post to its website so please let me know if this information helps you all.

cheers

australia is the greates country to live in.

AUSSI AUSSI IO IO IO
yaya
Old 05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
australian p-51

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Just to let you know i have been flying the ParkZone Mustange for the last 12 months and have found it a fantastic plain to fly. vary rarly have any problems with it and with the 3 cell lipo 2200 i have found it to be fast and fun. after listening to all the people in this post talk about upgrading their mustangs i have to think wis it woth doing all this to a plane that was never designed to handle. remember people this is a plane that uses 2 servos and a 480 size motor its not ment to be an arobatic plane nore a speed demon.

for all those people that are looking for a p-51 mustang to do this too why not purchase the ultrafly P-51 mustang. this plane as every thing already installed on it like FLAPS, RETRACTABLE LANDING GEAR, BRUSHLESS MOTOR, AIRALONS,. JUST ADD YOUR OWN RADIO AND YOUR AWAY.

surly this would be a better plane to play with and modify.

anyway here is a post to its website so please let me know if this information helps you all.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/ultraf...51_mustang.htm

cheers

australia is the greates country to live in.

AUSSI AUSSI IO IO IO
yaya
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 PM
afpe45

@australian p-51,

GDay Blue how's it going Mate, where do you fly in brisbane ?. I am over there in september I will look for someone flying a PZ P-51.

Why the double post ?. afpe45.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 PM
gunracer

that ultrafly p51 looks pretty cool as well...i like the retracts...lighter with a slightly shorter ws than the pz...thinking of getting one and putting the pz gearbox and eflite inrunner in it...that should really make it go...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 AM
australian p-51

@ afpe45

sorry about my profile i am no longer in brisbane i have moved about 3 hours north of brisbane to a town called Hervey Bay. ( voted the happiest town in australia). Just started in a new business so havent realy the time to fly at the moment. but email me anyway before you get here you might like the drive up to Hervey Bay.

cheers
ps
i am awaiting my ultrafly p51 as i type this message( CANT WAIT)
Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Libertarian

Hey Aussie P-51, That Ultrafly P-51 looks pretty good but I noticed the reviewer said calling it an ARF was stretching it. True it may have some advantages over the PZ P-51 but the PZ is far easier to fly with RIGHT NOW for the newbies and lazy among us (some of us are both) and IF you want to modify it (or not) you can do that at your leisure progressively. I also wonder how available replacement parts would be for that bird? With the PZ I go to redrocket.com and the parts are on their way in hours. Sure I ***** some about the problems adapting the PZ stang (and it does balk some when modded) but it's like sticking a 429 Side-oiler big block Ford in that small Holden of your dads. Its just so much fun to see how far we can tweak something not meant for serious horsepower. My stang gets all crazy sideways when I goose it WOT that it makes me appreciate that I must ease on the power and the aileron movement rather than flipping them like a switch on an anemic plane with no guts. Though something of a pain-in-the-ass my stang is that Hot Rod I could never afford when I was young, but get to thrash now to the tenth degree now plus I'm not in it when it crashes![8D] BTW I love my Swallow Advanced charger I got off that site, but not the $200 I paid for my PZ stang on it almost 2 years ago.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
dsilver668

I don't doubt that the PZ stock is ok. I have been flying it that way since I bought it.
Unfortunately I choose to fly at a park most of the time and with all the tight turns it can be hard. On top of that if there is anywind I just go home. I don't think the stock motor has enough grunt to keep you out of bad situations. That has been my main issue, and the cause of most of my crashes. I will probably slap a Typhoon motor in it, so I can actually fly it better. Of course my wing is now being patched again for thew third time. Not sure how much longer I can keep glueing it back together. I might have to just get a new wing at some point.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:31 PM
afpe45

here is a trimming guide for some of the guys that are having problems getting their planes to behave off the ground

press the button
[link=http://www.nsrca.org/trimA.htm]trimming guide[/link]

or click on the link
http://www.nsrca.org/trimA.htm

Download the pdf file and print it out and give it to your rookie clubmates

afpe45.[ ]
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Libertarian

Hey dsilver668,
I think slapping that Typhoon motor in it is just what the doctor ordered. IMHO the plane needs more power as you have said. Sure totally stock it will loop and climb modestly from level flight but some added power just adds more competence to the plane for anytime things aren't going perfectly.

Wow! That's the first time I've been censored on here! You can't say *****? Jeez! Bart Simpson says worse on The Simpsons on network TV nevermind what they say on Southpark!!! e.g. the 7 words George Carlin said you couldn't say on TV. Tis a sad day when old men can't cuss a little about their airplanes. [&o]

Thanks afpe45 for that trimming guide. That's pretty neat, thanks!!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Crashcrazy

Yep - I would have to agree with Lib and dsilver about getting a little more power out of the PZ mustang. The new ultrafly mustang is a sweet plane BUT it does take a while to put together - friend has just got one up and going and it is a dream to fly. In comparison it took me about 1hr to change in the Typhoon brushless, ESC and JR receiver and that was taking my time. So the motor change for me was a cheap, quick way to go which has got me a faster warbird without too much time investment.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:43 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Crashcrazy

The new ultrafly mustang is a sweet plane BUT it does take a while to put together - friend has just got one up and going and it is a dream to fly. In comparison it took me about 1hr to change in the Typhoon brushless, ESC and JR receiver and that was taking my time. So the motor change for me was a cheap, quick way to go which has got me a faster warbird without too much time investment.
Bingo!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
RedTwilight

My PZ-51 (ZERO the Hero) is now completely apart. I fiberglassed the inside of the fuselage with 1/2 oz. cloth. I'm also adding the carbon fiber arrow shaft wing spar and a few other mods.
Now I'm thinking of converting to standard electronics while everything is apart. So far I've decided on Hitec HS-55 for the 2 ailerons and the 1 elevator. Also plan to upgrade to brushless and Li-po. Still trying to choose the brushless motor and esc though! I already have a Tanic 2220Mah Li-po and Deans connectors.

What 3-4 (maybe 5) channel JR compatible receiver do you guys recommend? (I have a JR 5ch Tx now that I can use.)
Also does anyone know the thrust of the PZ Typhoon brushless or the Aon 2815-3000 burshless motors?
Also what's your recommendations for an ESC for the above bl motors?

Thanks again everyone for your wisdom and gracious help!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: RedTwilight

My PZ-51 (ZERO the Hero) is now completely apart. I fiberglassed the inside of the fuselage with 1/2 oz. cloth. I'm also adding the carbon fiber arrow shaft wing spar and a few other mods.
Now I'm thinking of converting to standard electronics while everything is apart. So far I've decided on Hitec HS-55 for the 2 ailerons and the 1 elevator. Also plan to upgrade to brushless and Li-po. Still trying to choose the brushless motor and esc though! I already have a Tanic 2220Mah Li-po and Deans connectors.

What 3-4 (maybe 5) channel JR compatible receiver do you guys recommend? (I have a JR 5ch Tx now that I can use.)
Also does anyone know the thrust of the PZ Typhoon brushless or the Aon 2815-3000 burshless motors?
Also what's your recommendations for an ESC for the above bl motors?

Thanks again everyone for your wisdom and gracious help!
You can use a Hitex 05S micro rx on same channel as your JR radio(make sure its the right rx and not one set for a futaba tx).
Esc for either motor.......E-flite 20 amp esc or Castle Creations Pheonix 25
Old 05-22-2006, 10:44 PM
dsilver668

Hi Kahloq. I may be wrong here, but I think the Hitec 05S is dual conversion with an auto feature, so it works on either. If they have any difference it will be for those tab connectors that fitaba servos have.
I do agree though the Hitec 05S is at a good price point and is a great little receiver.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: dsilver668

Hi Kahloq. I may be wrong here, but I think the Hitec 05S is dual conversion with an auto feature, so it works on either. If they have any difference it will be for those tab connectors that fitaba servos have.
I do agree though the Hitec 05S is at a good price point and is a great little receiver.
The Hitec 05S is a single conversion rx, however, it does have an auto shift feature so it can be used with any brand FM tx. I have not used one before so I had simply warned to make sure to get rx compatible with the JR since most rx's are set either as JR or Fut. Its nice to know it can be used weith either without worry.

BTW, its a 5-channel rx so it would match up exaclty with the 5-channel tx that Redtwilight has.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Crashcrazy

Red T - I am running JR R700s and RS70s in all of my planes and they are going great, couldn't praise them more highly! Thrust of the motors - not sure, would depend on prop and specifics. In the mustang with the parkzone brushless heaps of pull. To give you some idea - in the Typhoon, I basically just let it fly out of my hand if hand launching!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Libertarian

Hey guys,
Any of you wanting some Nose Art ideas might check this site out: [link=http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/p51pics/noseart/pics.noseart.shtml]P-51 Nose Art[/link] [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.