Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Hey Libertarian, how do you go about taking the frame out, and putting it back, so that it still looks nice? Take the tape off of the top and bottom, and retape it with colored ducktape?

I am getting a new fuse, and want to take the frame out like you did, reinforce the front section, put it back in, and foam the front with Great Stuff foam. I then will cut some holes out for airflow. That will be alright if i don't do to many right?
And Any other tips for foaming the front, besides taping the batt box and stuff? How far aft should the foam go? And how much does the stuff expand?

Sorry for the many questions! [sm=stupid.gif]

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Airchief

Hey Libertarian, how do you go about taking the frame out, and putting it back, so that it still looks nice? Take the tape off of the top and bottom, and retape it with colored ducktape?

Actually I only use duct tape if I ruin the stock tape. You can usually reuse it if you're careful. Start by removing the fairings over the main wing. Those 4 screws are all that holds the fuse in. You'll have to carefully seperate the lower skin from the front of the skeleton behind the firewall. I usually split the top of the fuse which only means pulling up the tape that holds it together and regluing the foam when done and using that same tape to recover it . If I recall you don't have to split the top though, just pull down the skin of the fuse thats stuck to the skeleton behind the firewall. Because I bolt the firewall and motor mount back on I cut the excess skin off the front anyway.

I am getting a new fuse, and want to take the frame out like you did, reinforce the front section, put it back in, and foam the front with Great Stuff foam. I then will cut some holes out for airflow. That will be alright if i don't do to many right?
And Any other tips for foaming the front, besides taping the batt box and stuff? How far aft should the foam go? And how much does the stuff expand?

See my post Post #: 1510 on page 61. This was the second time I did it and this time I used less so it wouldn't be so heavy and pool up on one side making it out of balance. The stuff foams up like crazy and will fill up the area so don't keep adding until its bursting at the seems everywhere. The first time I did it I had to add 6 BIG body washers to one side to get it to balance because I used too much. Although balanced the plane flew poorly because it was so front heavy. NOW, after foaming I actually rip out all but a 1/4 inch (or so) inside coating of the foam (With an exacto knife and needle-nosed pliers) because that's all you really need to massively reinforce the fuse. If you use duct tape or make wings for your battery box (as I did) the foam should stop around the back of the battery box. Rip out the tape or foam stop wings afterward for better battery cooling. If you want smaller vent holes (and more foam) you can use pencils lubed with vaseline to make passages for the motor wires. When hardened twist the pencils with a pliers to break them free and pull them out. Make sure you immediately clean the tube from the Great stuff can or it will be unuseable in the future. I use Carb or brake cleaner but water works if you do it fast.

[sm=stupid.gif]

Thanks!
Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THANKYOU!! [sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=tongue.gif] [sm=wink.gif]

After my TWO [X(] weeks of vacation, I will start on my new plane! Hope it goes Well! [&:]
Old 07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello well I have had some problems with the stang again... I have set it up so it does fly straight by lowering one aeleron and raising the other other with tthe little set screw things. anyways this plane is still all over the place... when I get it low and fast it likes to jitter all over the place and I always have to correct it. it won't just fly.... My typhoon doesn't do all this weird stuff... anyways it has a mind of its own. and its really weird. any ideas>?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
guy5927

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

there are various reports of erratic stang-behaviour with powerful brushless motors built in ....
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well this ones stock
Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know what your talking about. Mine is kinda the same way. If i come in fast, I cant go too low, because the plane likes to jitter in the roll motion. It didn't use to do that at my old flying field. I am suspesting some kind of electric interference is both of our problems.

What does everybody else think?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:30 PM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats what mine is doing too.. I dought it is electronics thouhg. it just does it all the time. when it gets close to the ground its going faster becaue you came out of the air and the plane going faster is what the problem is. it doesn't do it when its going slow. i don't know I also heard that it was a bad designed plane too so who knows.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, But It is the very same plane, as in NO changes, that I was flying at last summer. And I had NO problems with it twiching last summer. I fly at a diff spot, and suddenly I have this problem.

Thats what makes me think of interference. And I don't know what else it could be. Maybe you should try flying yours eslewhere if you haven't? Maybe mine is interference and yours isn't?

I don't know!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:27 AM
sh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have this plane, exept i brought the ARF version & used my own electronics[8D] fly's like a dream. parkzones electronics are the only thing that let things down.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Avindair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, I just had to return my PZ Super Decathalon because of its electronics. No crashes, but that was a combination of wind, timing, a little skill, and lots of luck. Enormous amounts of rudder and elevator jitter, and I couldn't trim the bird out to save my life.

I thought it might be interference, but our Aerobird Challenger is on the same channel and flies with zero problems at the same site.

Then, when I landed (main gear landing, which still managed to crack the fuselage) the prop struck the pavement...and the prop didn't break, but shaft broke free!

Yeesh.

Luckily my LHS was terrific. They're going to send the bird back in for credit ("You're not the first," they said. "The thing flies like a brick and is seriously underpowered!") and we're going to exchange it towards the [link=http://www.hobbytron.com/Begin-Air-4-Channel-RTF-Electric-R-C-Aircraft.html]Begin-Air[/link] four-channel trainer so I can instruct my son on something other than the [link=http://www.realflight.com/products/g3_main.html]G-3 Simulator[/link].

Okay...'nuff grousing. Tonight I get to sit down and pull apart the 'stang to examine the extent of the damage. I have a new spinner and shaft and gear assembly, just in case. (Still waiting on the cowling...)

Avindair
Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 AM
GLbiggles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Woodymax, Airchief: Sometimes the brush gear on a well used motor will spark badly this can cause the sort of glitches you talk of. If you can run the motor with cowl off and see if this is what is happening it may be the answer to your problem. On the better type motors it is possible to clean the commutator, in the case of the PZ motor they are so cheap it is easier to change the motor.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:44 PM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ya this thing is basically brand new. there was one big crash with it though. we had to replace the whole fuselage and everything up front. It has flown alright since but is seeming to get worse. It did fly better before the crash. Who knows it is weird. so the decathlon is a bad design too? my friend has one and doesn't have much luck with it at all. Where as my cub I have had a lot of good luck with it. so who knows!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Bird Dog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Question ?? What should the RPM be on the blade with a full stock battery ? I have just went with a new body and wing and sence the weight Of the old one was about a pond more then the new one it was time to re-body. So much tape and epoxy just finally added up faster then I though. Apreciate the answer.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Pull my finger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, i just bought the p-51 and have done tricks with it like a loop and roll and inverted flight but i dont know anything else to do. im not real great at flying so if u could explain how to do the tricks. thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 05:33 PM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wish mine would do that stuff! so be happy yours does!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Crashcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just thought some of you guys with pinion gear issues might be interested - sorry if someone has already posted this. Anyway just picked up a new ParkZone SuperCub pulled it apart to do a motor break in and found it has a nice metal pinion gear in a 3:1 box driving the same 10x8 stock prop as the mustang/FW190 et al. Looked at the replacement parts list and they sell the metal gears and a motor with the gears on them. I was quite pleased to see that considering all the probs with the old black plastic one! I thought I was dreaming at first......
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 AM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Super cub? I've never seen that... its not on the site? what?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:15 AM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@Crashcrazy,
post a link to the ParkZone SuperCub ,as we can't find it, we are all interested.
afpe45.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Crashcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry folks shouldn't have mislead you slightly - "HobbyZone" Super Cub but same factory anyway - will give you the Australian site, which is where I got mine from and if you go down to the section which has a PDF link for the spare parts product #HBZ7135 is a 2 pack metal pinion gear for $0.99 USD. I obviously haven't had to replace anything yet but when I pulled it apart to find it had a metal pinion gear to which I said sweet!!!!! I thought that this might be too good to be true so looked at the instructions and it seems that you can get replacements?? Go figure! Website - http://www.modelflight.com.au/hobbyz...er_cub_rtf.htm and for the instructions http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...ualCropped.pdf I have put mine back together but when I get time will pull apart again and count teeth etc to see if it is exactly the same as the mustang but the box says 3:1 so I took that to be gold!! I don't know of anyone else here who has one but some forums have already begun. Going to be swapping the old motor over to the Mustang ASAP. Happy surfing/flying!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:43 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Question to any and all, has anyone tried changing the semetrical airloil of the Mustang wing, if so what did you do and how did it work
I have 2 wings and I am thinking about making the bottom section flat, rather than having any airfoil in it on 1 of them and just have the top with the airfoil, I'm also thinking of extending the wing out in front further to utilize more of the root of the wing, maybe 1 inch full width I'm trying to get the stall tendencies reduced some and increase it's ability to glide in for landings. I know this would most likely make the aerobatic ability a little less but the Stang is so agile I think a small loss would be OK
If this hasn't been tryed then I'm going to do it and will report the results, if it has been done please tell me about it so I can make a educated decision on making this mod.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello gentlemen. I just joined RC Universe and wanted to add my 2cents about the PZ P 51. I have gone thru about 3 of these planes since they were released and I love them. I have a large mowed field I use to fly in and I spend most of my flights doing "laps" as low as I can fly. My version of pylon racing minus the pylons. I get a huge kick out of flying Old Crow by me about 3' off the ground. I see others complain about them snapping out of hard elevator conditions, but reduced elevator throws on mine allow me to tip it to 90 degrees and pull back full elevator at full throttle and she just turns around. Doesnt loose an inch of altitude and no snap. I do this at 10 feet and lower regularly. I am aware this kind of flying has been why I have "gone thru" so many of these planes but I think flying this low is big fun. Does anyone else do this? I see many posts concerning ailerons/ aerobatics, and many seem interested in landing gear. (personally I cant think of anything less eye friendly than big doofy looking tires hanging under my beautifull mustang as it goes by, but, I dont have to land on pavement either) I am really interested in a brushless motor. All my other planes are brushless, but they are too fragile for low altitude fun. I have skidded my mustangs at full speed, picked them up and continued flying. I shook one out of a tree and flew it after it fell out.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Crashcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great post ploesti. I tend to fly a bit like you - I'm lucky to have a large shed/barn which has openings on either end and do the old fly through - needless to say many a crash/explosion. The only plane not to die yet is the Typhoon - put a styker into the rafters which bounced around about 15 times and came down in 30 chunks and one of the mustangs hit the wall at full pace - nothing left up to Frankie, even cracked the motor casing. I'm still not as game as you with the mustang - wouldn't normally get lower than 1.8-3 metres; 3' is sensational. I found that if I don't care about completely smashing a plane then I won't - for ages I was super cautious and still had huge stacks.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
woodymaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats cool that you guys can get them to work that low and fast. When I do that the thing is all over the place. and I constantly have to compinsate. so its not that enjoyable. but with the typhoon I can do that all day and its great. I love that plane!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I have alot of luck low with the plane because it is very well used. I'm not too worried about it anymore. What seems to help is my aileron servo is so incredibly slow its tough to fly it jerky. I estimate its roll rate is about 1 rotation in 1.5 to 2 seconds. Makes for a real smooth plane that is horrible at aerobatics. It was quicker when it was younger. I used to have trouble low as I would instinctively pull up if I got too close to the ground on a pass, made it look like a roller coaster. I trim it so it is always trying to descend and that makes me always have a little bit of up elevator on the stick. It seems to keep the jumpy pull ups to a minimum. I do NONE of this malarky with my FW190, as it has only a dozen of so flights and is still mint, and I wouldn't want that to change just yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.