Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

RacerMech, I get the feeling you wish to avoid outrunners because of a more complicated installation. Its not as bad as you might think. You may want to consider doing a set up on a regular ARF kit first, before making decisions on modifying a PZ plane. The radio reciever is not easily compatible with brushless motors, non PZ servos, or really anything else for that matter. You will likely find that hopping up the Mustang will likely mean the whole radio system goes. ( I know there are ways around this) It would make more sense to me to just enjoy the FW 190 and when ready, do the brushless set up in an empty ARF kit such as the P 47 you mentioned. With the experience of putting together a radio set up, Mustang mods will come naturally. I got on board with the new Spektrum radio and I think it is excellent.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I couldn't find the four blade prop on hobbyzone at all... anybody have the link? thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
KingCobra79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ploesti_b24

KingCobra, What I was saying was there are many planes that are better build quality than the PZ P 51. The E-Flite P 47 and the Hanger 9 PTS are both examples of higher quality. In my opinion about 70% of the ARF kits by just about anyone would end up being better quality than the PZ. But, to get the foot in the door, to start the addiction, the PZ P 51 / FW 190 are great. I few dozen flights and your hooked for years. Of course you move on from the "all in one box" stuff in a few months. But I appreciate Parkzone luring me to this hobby with a mass produced low cost warbird I stood a chance at flying, and for all the flights I got from my planes. I, too, have moved ahead and made the investment in radio equipment and other planes. And I still break out the P 51 for cheap thrills. I dont mean to imply the PZ radio is good stuff, it isn't, but I suspect ALOT of the plane / radio failures may actually be novice pilot errors. Any RC pilot who tells you he never screws up is lying. I have demolished a few planes with radios that did just what they were told.
And yes, that is a great deal on the PTS at Horizon. ( I saw the $119 offer )
ploesti_b24 - yes, I agree with everything you said. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
t57f100

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

got one good flight out today and doing a lot of repair work since then on the pz51d hand launching tough but my wife video my launch and we saw that my launch even though on a up degree also had a slite dip to the right need to be straight but on the up level. will leave the motor running for about 30 sec in my haand befor e the launch to get air speeed and throw it with a slite walk forward help if you can
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OOPS, sorry it was Hobby Lobby not Hobbyzone. Here's the page. [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/slowprop.htm]FS 400 Props[/link]
Get a few extra hubs!!! That's the only thing that breaks in a crash! The tips (I had painted) bent 90 degrees a couple of times in some crashes. I just straightened them by hand and checked them for trueness with a high throttle test and used them again! The blades can bend in or out a few degrees in a bad crash. Spin the prop by hand and look for any blades out of line and bend them back in line to keep vibration down. I used a prop balancer I bought from Hobby Lobby to balance the props when I was applying the paint also.

I bought a MJ4703 Collet prop adapter to use with that prop for my outrunner. Your applications may differ.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12037.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	503835  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ploesti and Kingcobra, wow you both have made excellent points. As the point kc79 has made about the crap radio gear... absolutely, however it serves its purpose. Detail; oh man, I went back to the LHS to stare at the p47 in the box again today (excellent detail). Ploesti is right on by saying that the pz p51/fw109 gets people into e-powered planes. I've flown gassers for quite some time now and just never wanted to fool with slow, tiny fragile planes and charging/recharging is for the birds. I personally bought the package deal with radio and all and I have been having a blast, save the 4 min. flight times (just got lipo today). Although a very nice plane (pz) the p47 is a definite upgrade. Choice of servos, some actual building.. very cool. Oh, Ploesti you made mention that it seemed as if I wanted to stay away from outrunners. Well, in part you are correct because I didn't want to remanufacture the front of the plane especially if I could get equal performance from a drop in. I think i'll just leave my excellent fw109 alone (except for lipo) and put my hot rod fund towards the p47.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 PM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I just have to say it. I love the performance of an outrunner, but I HATE the lack of sound!! They are too quite for a warbird! I will not use another outrunner because of this. I think they are great for power and efficiency. Easy to mount, but the silence sucks. They are a better match for a powered glider. I run an outrunner on my Alpha Fw-190. I love the power, hate the silience. I can't even tell if the motor is running! I get no feedback from the throttle setting because I can't hear it!

If someone would come up with a good engine noise maker, I'd buy it. The RAM engine noise makers are not good for our electric park flyers. I tried a mechanical, card-in-the-spokes type noise maker on my outrunner, and the cycle fatique broke it after 5 minutes. But what a great five minutes!! It made the perfect engine roar that sounded really scale!

I say if you go brushless (and I do LOVE brushless), go with the geared motor. You get some nice sound that resembles an engine. Not as good as a four-stroke combustion, but hey, it's a good comprimise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93387.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	504312  
Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TC, where canI find this Alpha fw190 on the web?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I once stored my P 51 in the nose down position and it bent the spinner. It caused such incredible vibration it shook the whole plane. The hollow Z foam echoed. I lost alot of power, but it sounded cool. I have a ultrfly biplane with the noisiest gearbox ever. It sounds like a flying haybailer. Hows this for a challenge. Post WWII mustangs were used in rocket research. Wingtip rockets were fitted on a testbed P 51. This set up is portraid in a 1/48 scale static display model bu Tamiya. Now, adding the rocket motors to the plane is no big deal, but how do you light them in mid flight. They light these things on the ground with car batteries, and the mustang is tough to hand launch as it is, try and do it with a 60 month Exide battery on board. Rocket assisted Parkzone P 51 , I nominate this for worst idea ever. Maybe just one in the tail. 5 seconds of "unlimited vertical performance". Just picture it, a low high speed pass, ignition, followed by sharp pull up and fast climb to 250 feet. A Allied version of the Comet.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On YOUTUBE.com website I saw a video of someone doing this on a Stryker! It was too cool! They flew around normally for about a minute as the lined up the correct angle (almost straight up) and then the rocket at the back fired and it ZOOMED upward really fast!! [8D] Maybe they used a sonic combat module to trip the firing switch? All you'd need is a 9 volt battery with a single strand of wire between the leads to light the fuse.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Racer,
I buy a lot from Hobby Lobby. I love the Alhpa Models, and have been tempted to try a Flying Styro for the scale looks. The quality of an Alpha is excellent. My reco is to go brushless, but geared.

However, a note on size (because in RC, it does matter):

I have flown them big (55" wingspan), and flown them small (13" wingspan). And I love Alpha Models, but 30" is just too small for me. When compared to the 40" PZ P-51, it is much more exciting to fly. When I fly the Fw190 with friends, the reaction is "it's cute" or "that's neat," but when the P-51 come screaming in close, people duck and then say "WOW, that's cool!"

So just a comment on size: it matters!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have often considered mounting rockets (like the real birds) on wing racks and firing them off using the X-port like Libertarian mentioned. It would work fine, but this is not allowed by the AMA. I think its against the rules because of safety. But it would be way cool!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I appreciate the info Lib. Yes, size does make a difference... it's just more enjoyable to look at. With that being said, i've been considering the p38 for its nice size, what do you think? I've been considering (and dreaming) of the p47 however, I just know since my buddy has one were going to do the dog fight thing, i'll lose focus or blink and crash! One or both will be in the ground. Oh, and the rockets .
Old 08-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

racer, Why are you letting the P 47 break your heart? You obviously want it. Just get it. You'll love it. Many people buy CARS on a whim. Your going to work till your as old as a Studebaker whether you buy it or not. I'll even put my money where my mouth is. If you buy one, I'll buy one. Not someday, but sameday. You post in this forum that you bought one and I'll place my order at Horizon Hobby on the spot. That way you can rest assured that someone else did something just as irresponsible. If I close my eyes I can almost hear the UPS truck now. The U.S. Goverment once owned over 15,000 P 47s, all your considering is 1. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for putting it into prospective Polesti. I'm sorry for rattling on, especially about other planes, it's just that since i've been flying electric it seems so easy that I just want a hangar full of them now. Rocket assit would be nice, but i'll save that for another thread. So go ahead, get it and be happy (I haven't slept on the couch for a while, what the heck). I like the way you think, now there is a mint condition '67Camaro down the street for sale.... (just kidding).
Old 08-11-2006, 02:12 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone ever flown a plane that only had non-proportional rudder and throttle (ie. all left/right, all on/off)? How did you enjoy it and did you find it easy or difficult to fly (of course we know that throttle will cause a plane to climb so in effect it becomes your "elevator")? The interesting thing about full rudder is that it will cause the plane to loose altitude so you must compensate with opposite rudder and use the rudder in conjunction with the throttle to keep altitude, all of which may make for a good training tool. Just curious what others experiences with this form of flying have been as I am thinking that it may help for more advanced stuff (along with the flight sim, LOL!).
Old 08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@darnold,
when using rudder elevator (or in your case throttle) you use rudder and elevator(throttle) together but with a slight delay with the elevator(throttle) to do a turn, but you release the rudder(neutral) as soon as the turn in initiated, , So its rudder then elevator(throttle) then release rudder(neutral) and keep elevator(throttle) on enough to compleate the turn, as you slowly return elevator(throttle) to neutral the dihedral of the wing levels the plane out again, if you use rudder only you will spiral into the ground.
I hate rudder/elevator, give me elevator/Aileron any day. I only used rudder/elevator once and never again.
afpe45.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought an Accipter Badius from Raidentech that used the throttles (left and right) to turn and gain or lose altitude.
When the Rx went out one day I wired the motors directly to the on switch so it ran wide open all the time. It was a high wing so it was stable all the time and I'd just throw it and see where it went. Got a couple of really high flights out of it before it disappeared over a neighbors woods one day.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
GLbiggles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone ever flown a plane that only had non-proportional rudder and throttle (ie. all left/right, all on/off)? How did you enjoy it and did you find it easy or difficult to fly (of course we know that throttle will cause a plane to climb so in effect it becomes your "elevator" ? The interesting thing about full rudder is that it will cause the plane to loose altitude so you must compensate with opposite rudder and use the rudder in conjunction with the throttle to keep altitude, all of which may make for a good training tool. Just curious what others experiences with this form of flying have been as I am thinking that it may help for more advanced stuff (along with the flight sim, LOL!).
I sure have back in the bad old days (early 60's) that's all we had to fly with. Models had to be set up to fly themselves with interuption from the pilot. What we have these days is infinitely easier to master. Wattage Micro Flyer has this type of control, although it's more reliable than we had in "the good old days". Give one a try if you want the experience.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 AM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. Actually I've been flying this F-18 electric that has only rudder and throttle as I described for about 2 months now and I've actually mastered it quite well.

It's been a lot of fun actually and I really have good command over the plane and found that all of the things that you guys described are true. It's fun "blipping" the throttle on/off and adjusting how long I hold the rudder in a particular direction to adjust altitude and anticipating how tight the plane will turn and applying counter rudder instinctively or "side slipping" the plane and keeping altitude are all loads of fun. I can even bring the thing in for nice belly landings and fly it in some decent wind and just adjust to the wind (even thought the instructions say that it is too much for this plane with about a 30" wing span, LOL@).

I have the PZ P-51 and wanted any feedback on what I should fly next, the PZ P51 or something else before progressing to the PZ P51? The biggest concern I have is the hand launch issues that many PZ P51's have.

My own didn't want to respond to aileron so I'm not sure if it was a bad hand launch technique and/or tip stalling. It definitely torqued left with more throttle. My P51 is in good shape and I've made an aileron adjustment of about 1/8" up for both sides and reinforced the elevator with a graphite rib CA'd on the bottom of the elevator. Even with these extras I still don't really trust the PZ P51 especially since it seems that the vast majority of problems with it from others tend to occur on the hand launch. What are some of your thoughts???
Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Darnold, I went from flying the PZ Slow V to flying the Mustang. My first several flights went great. But then the crashing started when my confidence grew faster than my ability. I find the P 51 to be a fairly easy plane to fly in a conservative manner. I admit that I stuffed a few Mustangs into the ground while performing the "Amature Stunt Show Spectacular". I hand launch with some right trim & up elevator and a hard shove forward and up. This works 95% of the time. When it fails, it means replacing the gear on the motor. A nuisance, but not much of an expense. Actually the plane your flying sounds like a nightmare. You probably have more ability than you need if you can keep that in the air. I had a electric B 29 with 4 motors that turned by lowering RPMs on one side and climbed and descended with three throttle settings. The controller should have been labels with up & straight down on the throttle stick and auger in on the rudder stick.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To all with thoughts of rocket assit, enjoy.[X(] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKng7ms5p90
Old 08-12-2006, 02:56 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That was incredible!!!
Barbaro!!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The time before on youtube they did it while the plane was already in flight but this one has a stronger rocket than the last one! Totally cool!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are several rocket assited aircraft on that site. I was pretty suprised. There are tame bloopers of planes just turning into confetti, all the way to a 15'+ ws B-29 that drops a seperately r/c x-1 that is rocket powered. The x-1 propulsion wasn't that impressive only because I saw the other one first. Nevertheless, the b-29's sound is impressive by itself. Part 2 enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIL_VjBUGo

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service