Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

i never get tired of seeing that super fortress fly inverted down the line at 5 ft off the deck...
Old 08-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That Fortress was incredible!!!

The X-1 rocked too! [8D]

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just killed my P 51. I took Old Crow up as high as I could go and did a near vertical dive. I pulled up with lots of altitiude and a saw this silver thing tumbling under my plane and the motor cut. The silver thing was a Thunder Power lipo and the motor cut is self explanatory. Since I had no further influence on the planes fate, I watched its descent to try to recover it if it suvived. Minus the battery its tail heavy and it sort of roller coasted down in three dives. While Im watching I hear a thud, I believe was my lipo. Well, Old Crow is 20' up in a dead tree, and I'm not going to fall of a ladder to retrieve a severly damaged plane. I hope wind & time will give it back. I still havent found my battery, which is more upsetting than the plane in the tree. The real shame is that I KNOW the battery door is failure prone, I used to twist tie the connector together, I have landed that same plane with the battery swinging under it. I thought the tight fit of the Deans connector would be good enough. WRONG!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 AM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bummer Ploesti []. Sorry to hear that.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Somewhere on here or that other PZ P-51 forum is a video where the battery falls out and the plane pulls up quickly into a loop as I recall without the battery's weight and then crashes down. Sorry about that. I always put a 6" piece of duct tape across the door to hold it. Blocks the cooling holes though and the plane runs hotter.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:25 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello I have looked and looked and I can't find where someone said how to check the cg for the front and back. I know you hold it so far back on the wing.... how do you do it again? thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Jay Hayes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I still have my FW 190 and 2 Lipos, but the frontal area of the FW is about the same as a can of Folgers coffee and I think that kills its speed. My Fw has this really funny looking twist to the body, You can't see it from the side, but straight on it's very visible. The plane flys straight and level. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, I'm not going to do anything about it, but I would like to know if they all are like that. My rear stabilizer is tilted about ten degrees from horizontal to the wing. Probably a way of dealing with takeoff torque without a rudder. I have wondered about the guys who put gear on these Mustangs so they can do "rise off ground" take offs. I own several 4 channel planes that take off from the ground and they NEED rudder to go straight on the ground. Ailerons do nothing on the ground. Some planes will actually tip onto their wingtip after landing as they slow to a stop without rudder to hold it straight. They must be using grass runways to add drag to the tail on the ground.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@woodymaxx,

read my post no 1975.
here is the link to it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4584648 .

sounds as if you dont know how to do it, just stick two pointed dowels in a piece of wood (or foam ) thats wide enough to fit either side of the fuz +about 2 inches, then with the plane upside down balance the plane on the tips of the dowels on the marks you have just made with a pen after pushing a pin through the wing from the underside of the wing where you measured back from the leading edge(in the centre of the wing just behind the battery box).

here is the link to PZ website for the p-51. on the right hand side under SUPPORT, you will find the CofG settings , (it is a pdf file for the instructions for the replacement airframe) http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ1500

afpe45.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:54 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright! thanks a lot! should be able to get it flying right now!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
nn_shane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone here installed a brushless motor on the PZ P-51?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
L0stS0ul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

many have. there is a search feature...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4108705
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4027561
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3710256

There are other threads as well
Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
nn_shane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I looked thru them. I bought a 480 outrunner this weekend and tried it out but I think the offset was off. I need to buy a new Fuselage. Do you know the offset required? Also, I tried intalling a rudder with no luck.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
sniper1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello again! Thought it was time to post an update of my Mustang. Ive now had 15 flights on my bird, the last 4 with a 2200mh lipo, which gives me 15 mins of air time using loads of throttle. As someone on here told me, i will never go back to nimh/nicds now. The performance is brilliant! I had to do some improvising with the battery cover to get this beast of a battery in, as it wouldnt fit in properly without hanging out the bottom of the plane. It is still 2oz lighter than the stock battery, and i havent added weight in the nose to compensate yet. But i have to feed in a lot of down elevator on a low fast flyby to keep her from climbing. The other disadvantage being is no warning to when the battery will quit- Ive been lucky so far to bring her in dead stick in one piece! But if it quits mid aerobatics or too low-it may cost ya! The video ive included is the 2nd flight on the same battery, knowing i only had about 2 mins of power left, i decided to risk flying again to get some video footage of some flyby's. I hope you dont hear my horrified reaction to sudden engine failure whilst banking over trees!
I've also been mixing it up with my friends fw 190 and i will post some pictures another time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHdjjcF3IW8
Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
nn_shane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK after talking to AJ I decided to right everything here instead of starting a new post. According to AJ you all have helpful insight to modifying this great loking P-51.

I bought a 480 outrunner motor and did away with the gear box. I kept the offset the samy by cutting the drive rod support and grinding the surface smooth. another thing I did while being ambituous, is I added a rudder. "I am not a craftsman and it looked like crap".

I went to the field and lauched the plane. I had a hard time turning the plane left at slow speeds. When I gave it some throttle the nose went straight up. it was almost a 3D P-51 but you could not nose it over.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing worng?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Avindair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lovely flight, dude.

Nothing is as pretty as this bird in the air.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
ginster vr6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys! I'm looking to get the P-51 but after I started to read this thread I have since been kinda scared off. I was wondering what some of the short comings of the mustang are? I know the battery lid likes to open. Is there a way you can strap the battery in with like a velcro strap? I heard of people putting tape over the cover but i would rather have something to strap the battery in. Any other problems? I started reading about the FW-190 and how they have fixed most of the problems with the mustang in that version but I have a soft spot for the mustang and if I can do a few simple things to it I would much rather get this. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 PM
nn_shane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey VR6,
I have to say that the P-51 is the best looking plane. The battery pack does come out if you don't secure it using your own engineering. The plane flys realy well and stable. The FW-190 is a dramatic improvement over the P-51 as far as function and "user friendly" when changing to the LIPO. But I would have to say that I am very happy with the mustang and I never crashed it until I started modifying it putting a 480 brushless. My only sugesstion is to not buy the complete kit. I would use my own radio and buy the airframe assembly. If you already have a radio your better off using it.

Hope this helps your choice between them,
Shane
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ginster -I'm NOT an expert on RC Planes but here it goes.....

Yes there can be some problems with the Mustang but they are more like little check list things to adjust. From what I seem to gather the Mustang seems to be faster than the FW190. I made a check list of things to look out for, a top 10 list based upon this and a couple of other threads a few pages back and others who know a lot more than me have also posted do's and don't's for the Mustang.

My first three attempts fly the Mustang ended with poor hand launches, some krinkling in the forward fuselage and a damaged elevator due to the dreaded "left torque auger" move. I then decided that I would try flying a "trainer" just to make sure it wasn't me. Now this "trainer" was a non-proportional F-18 electric pusher (about 25-30" wing span) so the throttle was either full on or off and the rudder was either full left or right. I actually have gotten quite good at flying that thing and enjoy it. With the advise and encouragement of Ploesti I decided to try the Mustang again (dreading the hand launch). Well this time I went into the wind (according to the manual it was TOO windy to fly, but I went anyway).........and.............. 4 flights without a hitch with a few loops and one really nice picture perfect landing and three decent landings!!!!!!! The Mustange was actually easier to fly than my F-18 just like Ploesti and a couple of others said it would be!!! THANKS GUYS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!! [BTW Ploesti I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your Mustang and I hope you get it down from the tree and just repair the damage and get to flying it again.]

The biggest thing that I think needs to be done is what we do in the rc car racing scene (I race nationally, and have qualified for the US Team to go to the World Championships the last two times). What we do is go over our cars VERY thoroughly after each run and that's what I think has to be done with the Mustang, full size pilots call it a "pre-flight check". Look for battery hatches or cockpits that may be loosening some, check that the motor doesn't seem to move excessively when you "wiggle" it some, make sure that the elevator is still "square", check that the prop isn't loose, make sure that the control surfaces move normally and don't bind or not return to normal "center", make sure that the aleron adjustment knobs are tight and that the surfaces are "square" in proportion to each other, make sure that the wing screws aren't digging into the Rx. These are very important "preventative maintenance" issues that probably should be done every flight and would save a LOT of POTENTIAL headaches.

BTW, I think my intial launch problems came from NOT launching into the wind but instead launching cross wind because the paved runway was in that direction and it was a short area into the wind before you ran into a lot of bushes. When I thought about it today the wind was blowing left across the runway so MAYBE that had something to do with the poor launches. Today I had NO problems launching, not one, nada, and it was a joy to fly the Mustang even in too much wind! I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the PZ P-51!!!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:51 PM
ginster vr6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys! I normally do pre-flight checks before I fly so that wont be hard to do. I'm pretty sure the mustang will be my choice. the battery still worries me. How does it mount in the plane? It looks like the hatch is small so it must mount vertically? What have people done to mod them? I was thinking some little turn locks to twist over the cover I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:51 PM
nn_shane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

VR6,
The problem is that the battery (NIMH) is shorter than the battery box. The battery slides up and down gaining enough momentum to knock open the cap. So what I did is out of balsa I made a rectangle peice with the corners knotched out. This allows me to slide it in and push it to one side and it locks into place. Between the balsa peice I put foam to keep the battery from sliding up and down. It is an extra step every time you fly but it looks a lot better in the air!

I will have to take a pic and send it.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 PM
ginster vr6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be great thanks!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nn,

along with motor thrust angle, check your cg...
Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 AM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To all usa flyers (mostly novices).

We in th UK dont seem to have as many problems as you guys in th USA, the main reason's for that are:
(1) most seem to be young almost first time flyers.
(2) some of you live at high altitudes so a decent wind speed is needed to launch succesfully (ALWAYS INTO WIND)mainly with full throttle and up elevator ,I use full throttle and up elevator with no problem in 8 to 15 mph winds in the UK and it is my first attemt at powered flying along with a combat wings Xe2 which I also slope with my other planes which I have been sloping for 2 yrs only.
(3) not getting the CofG right.
(4) not doing pre flight checks.

hope that helps the novices out there who don't seem to read through the whole thread either.

afpe45 (in the UK)
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmmm, not sure you have this one on the mark afpe as there appears to be a lot of speculation. [:-]

Probably worst is the thought that one's personal (or group) experiences somehow defines reality for everyone else so that if it is different elsewhere than it must be because "THEY" don't quite get it or have the skill/ability that "WE" do. [:-] For the record:

1. A number of the complaints have come from people that are well seasoned RC Flyer's who normally fly some pretty hot planes based upon information from their post(s). Yes, there have been a number of people who are new to RC Planes that have posted as well but roughly 40-50% have been people who are seasoned pilots that know what they are doing (based upon this and other boards). It is unclear what you mean by "young flyer's". If the indication is toward "green" or newbie pilots (as we called people in the Army) then yes there are those that have had problems, of course it would not make sense that you would be referring to "young" as in age since the indications based upon the overwhelming majority of posts would be that they are mature adults. [:@]

2. The instructions tell you not to fly in winds beyond 10 mph. I nor anyone else has made this figure up, this is what PZ has put in their manual on page 13, Success Tip #1 AND on page 7, Step #9 where they suggest 7mph or less. So you are insinuating that people should go beyond the boundaries prescribed by the manufacturer for their product and then question or chide them for potentially poor results simply because a group of other pilots can do so successfully.

This is not a fair basis for judging a pilots minimum flying credentials in application to the PZ P51. PZ does an admirable job of telling us what the minimum flying credentials should be for this plane and being able to fly in winds beyond 10 mph isn't one of them (although it of course does have some indication toward a pilots ability, I for one flew 4 successful flights doing loops and wing overs on "A" dual rate setting yesterday in 15+ mph winds (or 0deg angle on the ribbons, LOL!) but I still would not consider myself a good pilot. [:@]

3. The COG parameters were not included in the instructions so there was either an oversight by PZ and/or PZ did not think that it was needed since they designed the plane and obviously would have taken COG location into account. You can get the COG information on PZ's website and many pilots have checked or asked for this information just for do diligence anyway. [8D]

4. Many of the post that ask about the COG location indicate that they have had lack of control or erratic control responses and as such hypothesized that these control issues could be due to inaccurate COG location.

5. A high percentage of the post where trouble has been indicated have noted that they have endured inconsistent quality control issues. These have NOTHING to due with a pilots skill level but these are actual physical problems such as: Unglueing of aileron tubes, internal aileron cable corrosion, inconsistent down thrust/right thrust angles, electronics failure, battery hatches falling off in mid flight, sudden/unresolved range issue, charger malfunctions leading to melted batteries, a rash of broken props on good/flared landings, screws either too long or fitting receptacles too short so that the screws dig into the Rx and cause failures, pinions slipping off of their shafts, etc. These issues are physical and have nothing to do with pilot skill or experience (although some CAN be exasperated by too many very rough launches or landings, LOL!). [:@]

So while it is evident that a number of PZ P51 pilots are not experienced it is far to great of a jump to list "all usa flyers (mostly novices)" with the assumption that "we" just aren't as good as "you" guys across the pond or that "we" don't meet the prescribed minimum requirements as listed by PZ in order to fly this plane. [8D]
Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
L0stS0ul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Parkzone P-51 Pre-Flight/Post Flight checklist:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30..._1/key_/tm.htm

If you follow that then you'll be fine mechanically. The rest is up to your flying skills.

CG is 76mm from the leading edge. My stock one though with the nimh pack is at 70mm. 76mm is what Horizon says is good but I think it would fly a little tail heavy there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.