Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:01 PM
gunracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

lost,

yeah i saw that...maybe it means an updated/upgraded version is forthcoming...one can only hope...i also noticed the airframe for the fw190 dropped 10 bones..
Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 PM
nn_shane

just thought I would let everyone know that my max amp battery with 3000 milliamps came in and we tried it out on my buddy's fw190 and he got a 22 min flight. the battery was not quite peaked and he was wide open the whole time.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
afpe45

@nn_shane,

got the 3000Mah lipo in your P-51 yet ?.

22 mins sounds about right ,for lipo. I get 10 mins with stock nmh

afpe45.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Airchief

ORIGINAL: Airchief

Alright, My new brushless plane is almost ready to fly! The only thing that didn't go as planned was the great stuff foaming.

About an hour after I foamed it, it looked real good. The sides were slightly bowed out, I was happy since it was my first time.

I came 2 days lator to look at it, and the sides are bowed IN! It doesn't look the best now, but I guess I will have to deal with it.

Does Anybody know what happend? Should I have put more foam in?

Thanks
NO Takers?[][]
Old 08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Libertarian

The only thing that didn't go as planned was the great stuff foaming.

About an hour after I foamed it, it looked real good. The sides were slightly bowed out, I was happy since it was my first time.

I came 2 days lator to look at it, and the sides are bowed IN! It doesn't look the best now, but I guess I will have to deal with it.

Does Anybody know what happend? Should I have put more foam in?
I think you used too much or didn't shake the can enough. You need to wear your arm out shaking this stuff before use. If you get too much in there, is too old or the stuff doesn't get shaken enough it turns back into liquid rather than being foam.
Try using alot less next time. It should only bow out the sides when its almost dry and expanding later. If it did this early you used waaaay too much. This stuff REALLY expands a ton! It will literally split the seams if you use too much AND it expands properly. It will also add too much weight when that happens and it can be more dense on one side making the plane fly poorly. TRUST ME!! In fact I use an exacto blade and needlenosed pliers to remove most of it once its done to reduce weight. The strength stays in anyway with a 1/4" thickness of it inside the fuse.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Airchief

ORIGINAL: Libertarian
I think you used too much or didn't shake the can enough. You need to wear your arm out shaking this stuff before use. If you get too much in there, is too old or the stuff doesn't get shaken enough it turns back into liquid rather than being foam.
Try using alot less next time. It should only bow out the sides when its almost dry and expanding later. If it did this early you used waaaay too much. This stuff REALLY expands a ton! It will literally split the seams if you use too much AND it expands properly. It will also add too much weight when that happens and it can be more dense on one side making the plane fly poorly. TRUST ME!! In fact I use an exacto blade and needlenosed pliers to remove most of it once its done to reduce weight. The strength stays in anyway with a 1/4" thickness of it inside the fuse.
Thanks for the reply, maybe i can do a better job next time, but it is PERFECTLY balenced!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
afpe45

Point to remember when foaming,

Put a cardboard(thin card)tube in first and spray with a mist of water(in a window cleaner bottle)before spraying,then the foam doesn't fill evrywhere and you wont have to cut so much away ,leaving a neater finnished job.
And the water makes it expand faster so you wont need as much ,also you need to do it on a warm day as the foam expands more when warm, if it is too cold it will stop expanding and you will think it has finnished, then when exposed to direct heat or left in the sun it will start expanding again. (I have seen this stuff push a window frame out, instead of holding it in)
Test spray in a cardbox first so you know how much it expands and you will be able to tell how much the foam will weigh.

at a guess you will only need a couple of quick presses on the button, just like you were spraying deoderant under your arms,
"Psst, Psst"!!.
After spraying the foam in the plane leave it hanging nose down so any exess will drip out rather than fill where you dont want it.

afpe45.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM
darnold

IMPORTANT LAUNCHING LESSONS THAT MAY BE AFFECTING A LOT OF PZ P-51 PILOTS!!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MRS DeeDee (aka: Frankie 2) went out yesterday and it wasn't good (need to replace the wing). After MRS Dee had a number of successful launches and good flights it went down trying to do an outside loop with what appeared to be little elevator control. After posting about the mishap several informed me about the elevator linkage flex problem (no more outside loop attempts then, LOL!!!).

So now Mrs DeeDee was going out and I was eager to fly my P-51 again. As a precaution I decided that I better warm up first so I flew my Interactive Toys F-18. One of the things I noticed right away was just how much the wind (about 15mph) was affecting the airplanes (not that I didn't know before, LOL!). I actually started conducting some test with the F-18 while I was waiting for Mrs. DeeDee's (aka:Frankie 2) battery to charge and noticed the following:

1. Launching DIRECTLY into the wind provided text book easy launches.

2. Launching DOWN WIND provided quick nose dives into the ground!

3. Launching to my right (THE WIND IS BLOWING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PLANE) produced Left Augers into the ground (the left wing would dip severely and in it would go)!!!!!!

4. Launching to my left (THE WIND IS BLOWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PLANE) produced side slips to the left which I was usually able to catch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you would think that I would have learned something from these experiments but NOOOOOOOOO! My anxiousness to fly Mrs. DeeDee got the better of me!!!!! When I was flying the F-18 the wind was coming dead West (from the East) and I had plenty of room to run her out (she doesn't have elevator, nor proportional control over the rudder and throttle, LOL!!!) BUT 40 minutes later when it was time to fly Mrs. DeeDee the wind had changed and was coming at an agle on my left shoulder SW (from the NE).

I recognized the wind change but didn't adjust. WHY????? Because I didn't have enough run out room for a launch in my opinion (that direction heads towards a low chain link fence and the school parking lot and building) so I did the bone head move and launched directly East anyway...BAD MOVE!!! Remember the experiments above with my F-18??? You guessed it, the result was an auger to the left into the ground with a busted spinner. I actually SAW the wind slam into the plane and turn it while causing the left wing to dip...BUT DID I STOP???? Daaaaa, NO!!!! I let my desire to fly the thing overcome what I saw happen and figured I could adjust by making a BETTER, MORE LEVEL THROW....WRONG!!!!! Same results but this time a broken propeller and left wing tip were the result. The cowl is cracked some but can easily be taped and virtually no crinkles to the fuselage. So $35 or so should get me flying again, praise the Lord for that!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LESSONS LEARNED:
1. IF THERE IS WIND LAUNCH DIRECTLY INTO IT!!!!!

2. IF there is NOT ENOUGH SPACE to launch into the wind from WHERE IT IS COMING - DON'T LAUNCH!! I REPEAT- DON"T LAUNCH!!!

3. As Noted here by others: LEVEL or SLIGHTLY ANGLED UP TOSSES after several steps to help it get up to speed ONCE THE PLANE FEELS LIKE IT WANTS TO FLY OUT OF YOUR HAND is the way to go!!!!!!! And no, my plane never felt like it wanted to fly out of my hand but I tossed it anyway, daaaaaa!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Hindsight note hear- recognize WHERE you are launching your plane from!!!!! In my case my field is behind a row of houses on one side with a school to another side (3 baseball fields plus some open area) and trees out on a third side. This can have an effect upon wind direction and sometimes I get a swirling action with the wind so that it can change direction fairly often.

If you are launching from behind some trees, or in an area that has structures/trees around it this can affect your ability to tell which DIRECTION the wind is actually blowing and it can also have an effect upon wind directional changes. Add into this factor the fact that you may not have enough room to launch and run out safely for the direction that the wind is blowing in at that time and you can see how all of this can affect your launches in a negative way at times.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE AND ACCOUNTS FOR A LOT OF THE DISPARITY IN PEOPLES EXPERIENCES WITH HOW THEY EXPERIENCE SUCCESS WITH LAUNCHING THEIR P-51's.....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
60buick

I was wondering if anyone has attempted the setup I have on my Mustang yet? I started with an Eflight 450 brushless outrunner and a Thunder Power 2100 Lipo and an 11/10E prop. That set up was blisteringly fast but the motor just does not have the torque for the prop. Run times were 15 minutes or so with that set up and I have an est. 80 MPH plane. I had the joy of embarassing a friend with his .91 4 stroke powered p-51 this Sunday. He still can't believe the little electric will leave his plane eating dust. He thought he had the last laugh because after my batteries were spent he could still fly but then he put his plane in a tree so I had the last laugh. The 450 was getting hot so I pulled it out and jumped up the the Eflight 10 and the 11/10E prop and same batteries. The plane weighs in at 29 ounces and the motor is for a 32- 48 ounce 3D plane when the 450 was for a max of 30 ounces for a scale plane. Just holding the plane in your hand straight up with max power and you are holding down twice the weight of them plane. I am a little nervous as of what to expect because this thing is way overpowered. Has anyone had any wing failures at highspeed or flutter or other catostrophic failures? I can fly it as long as the airframe can take it.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:16 PM
darnold

Quick question to everyone: Have any of you ever repaired your damaged wing???? Mine broke about 2/3 out with no missing pieces. It looks as if i could simply put and glue a graphite bar in the wing enforcement bar (the piece of foam that runs the length of the wing) and then simply CA the whole thing and add some duct or fiberglass tape around the outside for good measure. What does anyone think about this?? BTW, I have no problems with buying a new wing it's just that it was such a "clean" break that I started wondering if I could repair it.
Thanks in advance for any replies, hopefully the write up will help others and I didn't seem like too big of a nut.[:-] [8D]

60buick- I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone will be on soon who will.[8D]
Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
nn_shane

buick,
i have had some issues with the stock wing flutering. the owner of a local hobby shop said he has had a lot of people complaining about the stock wing breaking pulling up. i noticed some fluttering in my wing @ high speeds so I added composite rod. i also installed two servos in the wing instead of one central servo. these changes have added a ton of stability and at higher speeds. it is my understanding that a brushless motor should not get hot. if you are not getting enough torque then you need to either back off to a lesser pitch prop or smaller diameter. I am running a 480 motor and I am using a 10-7. i am still testing different things and have attemped building an air frame. i failed, you can not through the plane fast enough when it weighs 37 oz.

So you are getting 15 min out of a 450 motor? try a smaller prop and let me know what run time you are getting.

darnold,
the best way to take apart the wing is to cut the tape and split in half. simply reassemble the wing using hinge tape. it looks good and works great.

i hope this helps guys,
Shane
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
afpe45

@darnold,
It is possible but not without reparing or better still modifying the wing spar with a carbon fibre tube with an alumnium centre piece bent to the same dihedral as the wing, two carbon fibre tubes(one near the leading edge and one near the trailing edge) would be better. while you have the wing sererated you can then repair the Tears in the wing with some light weight tape inside and out,
dont forget to add the same amount of tape to the other wing half to ballance the wing (this could be just on the inside).

If you decide on a new wing as they are cheap enough, I would split the wing and put the carbon fibre spars in anyway, but I would stick with the old one till you have a bit more experience.

one more point I would use gorrila glue to glue the spars in as it has more flex than epoxy, dont forget you only need to run a bead of gorrila glue on the spar and press in place, hold it till set with a bit of tape you will of cource have to run a channel through the centre of the original spar to make way for the carbon spars.

afpe45.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Libertarian

Has everyone seen this new site? RC Universe today officially launches its very own video sharing website for radio control enthusiasts, RCUVideos.com. No longer do users have to find ways to upload and share their rc videos with their friends on other video sites that try to be everything to everyone. RCU Videos is about one thing only, RC!

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com]rc videos[/link] Up to 100 Meg! Cool!

I may put all 15 of my videos on there from my PZ Mustang. BTW, yes with the slightest of wrinkles I've had the stang wing turn into a zero lift V and watch my stang dive straight into the ground at WOT where it was already pointing (I was trying to pull up from a top speed dive at 100 feet). Since then I started adding a full covering of adhesive laminate (art dept at Wal Mart) on the bottom and adding a CF arrow spare inside the wing.

Also after adding my brushless Axi 2808/24 outrunner on Lipos I found the plane very sensitive (and erratic) at the hyper speeds it could attain, be warned.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53597.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	523257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48043.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	523258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81058.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	523259  
Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
afpe45

Yes, new video upload site is cool : http://www.rcuvideos.com/index.php

afpe45.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 AM
guy5927

Damn

My damage-free streak of 40+ flights is over ...[] ....

Completely normal landing, broken prop none the less ...

The lower part of the spinner broke up around the shaft ...

Guess I'll have to fly without spinner ... ( looks a bit like a thunderbolt like that ) ...

Will cost an arm and a leg to find a spinner over here ...

Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
gunracer

guy,

same thing has happened to me a few times...that spinner backplate is repairable...glue it together and once the glue has cured, use tape on both sides for reinforcement...also use the largest diameter washer you can find for the job...it'll help spread the stress over a larger area...good luck...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 AM
guy5927

Okay Thanks Gunracer ,

I'll surely give it a try !
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
darnold

Thanks everyone for the advise.
What I did was to insert a CF beam into the broken foam spar and CA it. I CA'ed the foam spar and the wing and from there and put fiberglass tape "splints" across the wing (both top and bottom). Afterwards I put one layer of clear packing tape down the tear (vertically) all of the way around the wing.

The wing seems as strong as the other side, with me actually holding it at the end to see if it would bend any (which it didn't). The wing doesn't appear in the slightest to flex laterally any more than the other side. I would even venture to say that the repaired side of the wing appears to flex to a lesser degree than the non-broken side. Now I just have to replace the spinner and it's ready to go.

I have checked the ailerons and they work properly with no problems. I am even thinking of painting the top of the repaired wing olive drab green to hide the small, black, tape splints on the top of the wing (they actually seem to "blend" in on the bottom of the wing with the invasion paint scheme).

Although I am pleased with the level of repair to the wing I still plan on having a new wing in 2 weeks just in case. The weather here in the suburbs of Chicago has been horrendous with lots of rain, gusty winds, overcast skies, lots of lightning, and oh yeah, lots of cold...brrrrr. I will have to wait to take the Stang up anyway but if it can be done before the next 2 weeks I plan on going for it. I'll maybe even take it to another school field in town where it is even more open, that way I can get the proper run out regardless of which way the wind is coming from (if there is wind blowing at all). [8D]
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 PM
darnold

Weather was beautiful here in the ChicagoLand Suburbs with virtually no wind for me so Mrs. DeeDee flew!!!!! No problems until after a picture perfect landing and running the last wee bit of juice out the pinion spun!!!! Before I flew her I notice a crack in the elevator hinge (spindle) but flew anyway, no problems. Both the spun pinion and the cracked elevator hinge are repaired and I will get a spinner tomorrow before I fly her again.[8D] There was no flex or weird flying characteristics with the plane (other than the usual power on climbing). I will need to adjust the elevator with a little down setting so that I don't have to use full down radio trim like I did.

Launch was uneventful. A gentle toss like throwing a dart with the "standard" full up and right radio trims after taking 5-7 steps and the plane feeling like it was ready to fly out of my hand. [8D]

Man it feels GREAT to be flying again!!!!!!![8D][8D][8D]
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Guss34

I read some post about the GWS Corsair flying with the PZ P-51 electronics but did someone try it with the Corsair from GreatPlanes?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 AM
darnold

Guss...

From what I have read using the PZ electronics inside of GWS planes seems pretty common. Overall more people than not seem to have few if any issues with the PZ electronics and enjoy using them in other applications somewhat routinely. Of course there is a definite contingent of users that have had issues with it (some rather serious).

I would postulate that if the power to weight and general dimensions are similar to or smaller than (as in the case of the GWS fighters) the PZ's than you have a chance at using the PZ electronics in it. Just remember that the PZ electronics are on 27mhz. Also, remember that the servos are 5 wire servos and I am unaware of an adapter to integrate them to the more common 3 wire setup. If I am correct, the PZ electronics also integrate the RX and the ESC into one unit so any mixing of electronics from something else may be inhibited.

Of course servos are rated for only so much torque per inch/oz and the type and quality of the gear train will play a role in durability. From what I have read plastic type gears give better resolution but are of course more prone to wear and breakage while metal gears (what we use in RC Racing) are superior in strength. Some type of graphite impregnated gear is probably the best combination for air plane use but further research on that point would need to be done.

Just take the PZ ESC spec's into account because your model may call for something outside of that performance envelope, especially if it calls for a brushless setup. In competition RC Racing we utilize very high frequency ESC's that have operator adjustable frequency, brake, drag brake, frequency mappings and sometime torque parameters.

RC Racing ESC's usually can handle 80-120 amp spikes (although they're rated at a ridiculas 700-1000+ amps based on the MOSFET spec's) and they typically operate at 30-60 amp averages for (5-8+ min. of racing with the high spikes coming from acceleration off of the corners).

I don't think that type of abuse is typical in RC Electric Planes. Never the less the PZ ESC (or any ESC) has a rating and from what I remember reading from various post I thought the specs were somewhere between 13-20 amps and it may be higher. I am hopefull that someone else will be able to give you a more exact figure on what the PZ ESC/RX operating range is.

BTW, how is your PZ (P51/FW) flying? I'm planning on flying mine again this upcoming week if weather permits, maybe even later today.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Guss34

Thanks darnold. My pZ P-51 flew beautifully, I didn't try many aerobatics beacause I am a new in rc. The P-51 is my first rc plane and I know that is not suitable as first airplane but it's ok and I have now 15 flight with it. I had two crash (easy repairs) in the first few flights but now it's fun! I bought this one on eBay and it was uset and the front fuselage was a bit wrinkles but usable and the package comes with a new spare fuselage and a spare motor and electronics that works at the same channel. So I have the opportunity to fly two aircrafts with the same tx from parkzone. And I want to know the possibilities about warbirds! (excuse me for my poor english...)
Old 09-18-2006, 03:43 PM
darnold

Guss- glad I could help and I'm glad your PZ P51 flew well for you. I just got my spinners yesterday and modified them using some plastic body washers that we use in RC Racing. I simply CA'ed them in place to add some extra rigidity and to spread the load some so we will see how they work but not today...much too windy (gust around 25mph). [X(][X(][][][8D]
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
darnold

Just curious about a few things:
1. How many are still flying their PZ P51/FW190's?

2. Is flying season over for a lot of flyers?

3. How much fun have most of us had flying our PZ P51/FW 190's?

4. How many have flown RC Combat with their PZ P51 or FW190?

Weather is cold and blustery here in the suburbs of the Windy City. [][:@][8D][8D][8D]
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Avindair

Flying season is most definitely over for my household.

The Two Aerobirds are broken down and stored.

The Super Decathlon is in its case.

The P-51D -- which ended up being my most-flown plane, despite one crash and rebuild early in ownership -- is now hanging from my son's ceiling. Its last flight was its best. I looped her, I rolled her, I performed Split-S's and Immelmans, and finally brought her in for a sweet landing. What a way to end the season.

Avindair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.