Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
smbohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Here is my suggestion: Mash together a HobbyZone SuperCub from spare parts. You can use your electronics and motor as is. I think you can part together the SC airframe for about $80.

That will get you flying with a tough, reliable trainer aircraft.

But before you go back to the PZ P-51, I would get an aileron trainer. I went with from the SuperCub to a HobbiCo SuperStar EP (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGVZ3&P=ML). After that, I went and flew the P-51. It still blew my hair back from the speed, but I got used to it.

You won't be able to use your PZ electronics for an aileron trainer because you only have two servos and three channels total, so budget for a full house radio system.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Destroyed p-51

Thanks for the suggestion. How exactly would it work though with the p51 having aileron controls? Would the servo that moves the ailerons be used for the tail rudder in the SC ? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm new at this, so go easy on me.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
cbatters

Same servo / channel can be used for either aileron or rudder control. In R/E rudder/elevator configuration, the yaw induced by the rudder is used to bank the plane and cause it to turn.

Questions:

1. How much time have you actually spent in the air flying the SkyFly? Even a R/E 9rudder/elevator) controlled plane will roll over and crash if you give them too much rudder. (I fly a R/E Challenger RTF that flies more like an A/R (aileron/rudder) plane - "rudder" control causes the plane to bank sharply, not turn. If you did not pull back on the elevator when turning the plane would roll and dive into the ground.)

2. Do you have any experience or desire to actually build or re-build a model? In theory you couild transplant the electronics to a new airframe but it will require some time/effort/testing.

For example, you could buy a Stryker airframe and transplant your motor, servos, battery and have a plane that can fly pretty fast but can also be flown slowly and glide due to lighter wing loading.

Replacement Airframe: F27B
ParkZonePKZ1270

Contains:

Painted fuselage with nose
Complete hatch set
Full decal sheet
Installed elevons, linkage set and control horns
Vertical fin set
Landing skid
Motor mount with screws
Two propellers - one stock and one for LiPo upgrade

(No motor, electronics or radio system included)

Although once again, this assumes that your electronics are still functional.

Clint
Old 01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Destroyed p-51

I flew the skyfly probably 4-5 times at a few minutes each time taking off from the ground and landing successfully. To me that plane was almost too easy to fly. Not that I didn't have a couple of hairy moments, but overall I felt in control and it was easy to land.

Right now I don't have much desire to build a plane, mostly because I am afraid I will just crash it. I do however have desire to fly and build other planes in the future after I feel I am good enough at flying them to make it worth it.

I think the best option for me is to just bite the bullet and buy a new RTF trainer like the sky fly or maybe the challenger.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
hawk3ye

Put the electronics on a Slo-V!

or Slow STick!

omg that motor would tear it up...I know the SLo-V wing is only $10 and so is the wing so it cant cost that much for a non-powered kit without electronics...mounting the 480 motor would be an interesting feat tho lolol!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
smbohn

No stupid questions here, mate. It's all good.

You got it exactly, you would use the P-51s elevator and aileron servos and hook them up to the elevator and rudder in the SC. The motors are exactly the same so just slide it in to the SC gearbox.

There is a very good thread on the SuperCub, so review that. Get the parts, and if you have any questions on how it goes together, I can post some pictures that show how things are set up.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Destroyed p-51

You guys are great, thanks for all the help.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Destroyed p-51

ORIGINAL: hawk3ye

Put the electronics on a Slo-V!

or Slow STick!

omg that motor would tear it up...I know the SLo-V wing is only $10 and so is the wing so it cant cost that much for a non-powered kit without electronics...mounting the 480 motor would be an interesting feat tho lolol!
I was just looking at the SKy Fly thinking I might try to put the 480 motor in that.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I started with a PZ- J3 Cub a little over a year ago and spent enough in repairs to buy 3 of them. I said I was done with toy quality RC planes. Well I have since learned to fly larger 40 -60 size glow planes including an Ultimate Bipe and the H9 Spitfire. So I have come full circle and recently bought a PZ P-51 to do a little combat flying with my buddy who has the FW-190. Well I like the FW-190 better for how the battery installs but the new PZ Spitfire will probably be the best of all three when it hits the market. Anyway I am very disgruntled with my P-51. I have had it for a month and flown exactly two batteries through it. The first time I plugged a battery into it it went nuts and started smoking from the reciever/ESC. Inspection determined the factory installed zip tie damaged the reciever and it fried once power was aplied. Horizon product support shipped me a new one. Great! Then the aileron servo was acting up. It would simply stop working at intermitent times. Horizon is shipping a new servo now. I have already replaced the servo with one left over from my original Cub. So I finally get to fly it! It flew well and I had no problem handling the plane. I used two batteries and went home as I was freezing. The next day I take it out for round two expecting all my problems are behind me. Install the battery walk to the edge of the runway run up the throttle and notice my prop is not spinning very fast. but that motor is humming... The pinion is slipping on the shaft[:@] Any sujestions? Epoxy? New pinion? So far I have spent more time working on this "RTF" than flying it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:57 AM
smbohn

Try JB Weld on your pinion gear. It should hold it adequately.

And with the PZ P-51, a proper frame of mind is: If I went to fly and I didn't have to replace something afterwards, It was an extremely good day.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM
hawk3ye

ORIGINAL: smbohn

Try JB Weld on your pinion gear. It should hold it adequately.

And with the PZ P-51, a proper frame of mind is: If I went to fly and I didn't have to replace something afterwards, It was an extremely good day.
I had my PZ Focke Wulf do the same thing, I made the suraface on the shaft a little rough with some sand paper and then used some CA glue - I haven't had problems since...
Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
darnold

I wonder what would happen if I put one of my old modified motors in the Stang' or maybe even a ball bearing 19t that we use in RC Racing? The brushes are replaceable and I can true the commutator whenever needed. I can also adjust the spring tension and brush compound. Hmmm, that may be an easier upgrade (since I have these motors) than buying a lipo and lipo charger or outrunner motor. Has anyone tried this combination? I love the PZ Stang, I wish that PZ made the fusealage out of something a little more durable and that the quality control was a little tighter, but they still have a winner with this plane and the series.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
01SCSS

Looking to upgrade to lipo's in my Mustang. Anybody have any experience with the 3E 11.1v 10C 2200mAh Li-Po Battery . Wanna make sure it will fit in the compartment. The measurements are 90mmx33mmx28mm Anybody fly with these? -Zach
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM
blamo

Hello ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF group.
I have been following his thread with immense interest. I find it fascinating to hear the varied opinions of people who enjoy this hobby. The other day I paid a visit to the LHS and listened to an employee who flies only electric state that these P51s most always break a prop on landing. But when I read through some 89 pages of this thread I do not see many complaints about that issue. I have been flying the HZ Super Cub almost every day since Christmas. It is a fantastic plane but I am looking for a second plane.
Has anyone flown both the PZ Focke Wulf and the PZ P51? Do they fly similarly?

I am looking forward to flying something else.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
tclaridge

blamo,
I have flown both. I thought the Fw-190 was a bit harder to trim in pitch, but has less of a tip stall. I highly recommend the extra nose weight. Flys upside down better, and slow flight is more stable. Touchier in pitch though.

The P-51 is harder to launch. There is no hand hold, so I belly flopped it a few times until I starting holding it in front of the nose. But it looks good in the air! Battery hatch has broken once during landing since it is on the bottom. You must make sure to "snap" the hatch in place or you will eject your battery in a high G stunt!!

Both planes fly like a typical low-wing war bird. Landings are the same. Skill level is the same. Get the one that you like the best, or wait two more weeks for the Spitfire. Get the one (or two, or three) that talks to you when you see it at the LHS.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:56 PM
gunracer

zach,

the dimensions of the pz lipo is 101x34.5x21.8mm...measure the batt box and/or make a mock batt of foam to see if it'll fit...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
gunracer

blamo,

landing on anything other than 2-3" high grass would make the prop more prone to breakage...if you're intent on getting either the fw190 or p51 for your second model, i'd recommend the fw190...it is more refined (finger holds, top batt hatch) and, at least to me, more stable than the p51...if you're open to possibly an arf kit, then also consider the the e-flite p47...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 AM
01SCSS

gunracer thanks for the info.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
ea01bg

blamo,
I have flown booth planes. I would echo gunracer in that the FW-190 is a more refined plane, the design improvments also appear to have carried through to the spite fire they are releasing. IMHO I wouldnt buy any of the pz warbirds again. If you dont mind doing a small amount of building work the E flite P-47 looks and flies good.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
darnold

blamo, those that fly the P-51 love her. From what little I've been able to acertain, the Mustang turns a little harder and is a little faster (just like the real things did) than the Fw 190 when relatively fresh motors/batteries between the two are used. However, the FW does seem to be a little easier to fly, with a little less tip stall but that shouldn't be a problem for you with your experience. The Mustang now uses the same 5mm wing spar that the FW (and probably the Spit) uses so things should be fine. After reading the FW thread, I would say that the problems are similar between the two, it's just that the Mustang came out first and was out for a good bit longer than the FW, as a result it "looks" like the Mustang has a bit more problems when it really doesn't. The Mustang is my favorite airplane of all, even though I like the FW, so I would choose it again, this is my bias, what you must ask yourself is which plane is yours? You can't go wrong, and they all fly great with some slight but noticable differences that are similar to the real things. I say pick the Mustang....lol.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
ea01bg

blamo,
Something else I forgot to mention , in your post you mentioned props breaking on landing. I havent read that in many posts and have not hade that happen to my P-51 or FW -190 (even with my brushless upgrade). What does happen with booth of the FW and the P-51 is spun pinions. When the prop hits the ground and the plane is under power the motors plastic pinion gear will spin on the motor shaft. This results in the pinion having to be replaced. Its not that hard to replaqce but its a pain after it happens several times ( the pinion will also spin eventualy with out having hit the ground. A post I read in the FW thread metioned that the spitfire has a metal pinion. This should solve that problem. BTW is this your first warbird or low wing plane? If so the P-51 may be a handful.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
afpe45

Next question has got to be will the metal pinnion or the motor for the spitfire fit the FW-190 or the P-51

afpe45.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
01SCSS

Question for everyone.... I fly my stryker b all the time with little drama, haven't flown my mustang yet, will it be similar to a stock stryker b? -Zach
Old 01-27-2007, 12:48 AM
gunracer

recently i purchased the fw190 airframe kit...the motor that came with it had a steel pinion gear...i guess pz/horizon has made the upgrade...if you want a steel pinion gear, order the motor for the hobbyzone supercub which i believe is the same brushed 480 motor used in the p51, fw190 and spitfire...
Old 01-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Libertarian

While I have spun 2 pinions in about 50 flights you can avoid it happening often by making sure to kill the motor when you do your landing flare. Even if the prop is still spinning when you land the pinion has no stress on it if the shaft is not under power. In fact I enjoy letting the battery die and gliding into a landing from a sufficiently high altitude (150' +) of course. You still have aileron and elevator control, but make sure you know which direction the wind is coming from so as to head into it and don't try this in a fast wind as you need power to fight your way down in a fast wind. I've only broken 1 prop in MANY normal landings too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.