Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

01SCSS,
My guess is if you can do a Stryker (F-27B), you can do a warbird. They are both about the same size, fly at the same speed, and are aileron birds. I haven't flown my F-27C yet (next month), but on the G3 sim, I think the warbirds are actually easier (maybe just 5 mph faster in cruise). An F-27B should give you all the skill you need!

You should have no problem. Be careful about the stall. A warbird will stall sooner and harder than the Stryker because of the wing shape. Whenever I fly a plane for the first time, I do two things:

First, get it trimmed out.
Second, get it high, and slow it down. Then start to ease back slowly on the stick until it stalls. I might do three stalls to get a feel for it.

I think learning each plane's stall characterists (when it happens, and how) is key to flying the plane well. This will also teach you to avoid this point on landing. If you get a warbird too slow and stall on landing, it will cart wheel.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 AM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, that was the confidence builder I needed to get it in the air. Now if the winds will chill out a bit I'll be ready.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Waiting for calm winds is worth it. Don't fly in a breeze your first time. It's hard to fly, land, and trim. This is extra work you don't need while getting familiar with a new plane. I have flown over 20 planes over the last 6 years, and the first flight on a new plane is always a challenge! So I do it in calm winds. My limit on this bird is about 7 mph. After that, it's just not fun for me.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
terryo7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my P51 for christmas. I never really had too much experience with R/C aircraft to start with , so PLEASE take heed when people say this is not the plane to start with! I charged up the batteries, set off for the field.Hand launch was a breeze, far easier than I was expecting(dreading!) Man, it looked awesome in the air, very accurate outline, even sounds cool! It climbs very nicely, and travels Quick! Up about 80 feet, and getting smaller by the second, I decided it was time to turn it back toward me, just as a large gust of wind hit it broadside, and within 2 seconds, was on the ground, wing smashed, cowl, prop, and spinner disintegrated.The first 20 seconds of its life was awesome, the last 2 really sucked, but I should have listened to all the guys in the forum and started with a trainer.Is there an easy way to transfer the electronics to another kit, without too much trouble?Maybe , say, a trainer this time?Has anyone tried this?love the hobby, hate the carnage that ensues !
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go with the Hobbyzone Super Cub if you like scale. It is a very nice trainer, and you will be many, many hours of fun. I also enjoyed the Aerobird Extreme because it was big. Look at the HobbyZone planes and pick any 3 channel you like. There are all good. I don't recommend a 2 channel trainer though.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:36 PM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned to fly RC with my Stryker B. It got epoxyed back together several times in the beginning, but it taught me ailerons real quick. I have friends that fly SkyFlys and they have moved to the stryker and had a harder time than me. An expeirenced pilot I know got me started and he said you can learn on a trainer, then move to ailerons and learn all over again. Or you can get a stryker b rtf (cheap), wreck it a few times, glue it back together($6.00 for epoxy), and then after a while your ready for something else. I now have a typhoon and a PZ mustang, and I'm glad I never started on a trainer. I know most people don't think this is the way to go but it really worked for me. If you can spend even 20 min on a sim like fsone(it has a stryker b), then go fly your stryker, you will get it pretty quick. With a few tips from seasoned pilots like propping up the dipping wing when the plane is coming at you and staying away from inverted flight for a while. You can progress pretty quickly. -Cheers
Old 02-03-2007, 11:10 PM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey one more thing. I've recently switched to lipos, should I change out the stock prop on the Mustang?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

01SCSS,
No change of prop needed. This is not the same setup as the Ty 3D, so the stock prop is perfect. Make sure you change the jumper on the Rcv per the manual.

You will love the extra performance and flight time.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can the Parkzone Mustang handle winds with the lipo battery in it?? and will it burn up the esc or motor?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

XxOo,
Wind is not an issue with burning up anything, it is a matter of how well you can control your plane with it getting blown all over. I have noticed no wind-handling difference between the Lipo or Nimh batteries being used.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is this a fun plane to fly? What winds would be fine with this plane? Because i am thinking of buying one.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@ XxOoCoBrAoOxX,

If you havent already bought a "frankie",get a couple of lipo's at the same time then you won't be as dissapointed with the performance, Don't forget to change the jumpers as mentioned previosly in the thread. its a nice plane to fly if you get past the first launch, you have to be quick to respond with the sticks to correct the torque roll,but don't over correct as some do and you will be fine. start with position 1 then go to position 2 when you feel comfortable.
the only thing wrong with the two positions/rates is you can't just increace the eilerons and leave the elevators on low rates With this 27meg Stuff (Land/water vehicle)like you can with the 35meg TX'S,for planes and helis(I think it is 70meg in the USA). as to winds anything from 0mph to 25mph seems to be ok in the UK. anything above 25mph and I go sloping with it.
afpe45.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 AM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This flier has also been blessed in that I have never flown a trainer and have had little problem with the actual flying part of the PZ Mustang, the biggest problem being the initial hand launch and a few mechanical/setup failures.

These "problems" were corrected by reading all of the post on this and one other forum, from there it has been relatively smooth sailing, save for the lack of elevator bracing and throw on my outside loop attempt and the spinner blowing off in mid flight, all of which ended Mrs. Dee/Dee pre-matuerly.

With near full elevator throw, and full expo, this flier can do just about anything with her right now and she's a blast to fly, with that said, and due to the the occassional mechanical failures that have occured, this flier still approaches this plane with a healthy respect, being sure not to pull hard turns lower than 25 feet just in case she tip stalls or has a mechanical "hick-up". Being aware of the lines of sight and the the amount of light out, particularly when flying into the sun is key, as the temporary blindness can cause some disorientation while turning.

I have flown in winds around 20 mph, and would have to say it was the scariest flying I've done, however, I was able to fly it fairly well and it gave me valuable experience; of course it helps that I got down in one piece with little drama, but I would definitely NOT recommend flying in anything above 12-15mph as the norm!

The flight sim (FFS) is invaluable in keeping keen on the sticks during down time (they have a PZ Mustang and PZ Focke Wolfe). My own journey into flying RC Airplanes went something like this:

1. Bought a PZ Mustang, had never flown anything and no flight sim training, tried to launch 3 times but it just torque rolled left with no response and busted an elevator, prop, and spinner.

2. I shelved it for 2 months while I read this and anther forum to figure out how to hand launch.

3. While figuring out how to hand launch and replacing the elevator and prop/spinner I got out this little toy F18 that only has non-proportional rudder and throttle control (full right or left, on/off only) and flew that around, I also downloaded the FFS and flew the PZ Stang during this time. The most important points that I acquired from the simulator was, getting used to views of the plane when it was really high or far away, and becoming smoother with the inputs and landings, and I also practiced near stall speed flying in order to gain the experience of what to expect.

4. One of the experienced fliers on this thread encouraged me to try "Mrs. Dee" again noting that what I had been flying was more difficult than the PZ Stang would be, so I gave her a whirl.

5. Nothing but flying success from there on, with the couple of mechanical failures that wound up putting me in the ground (one being another poor hand launch around my 5th flight, another being the aforementioned poor elevator response and the third being the noted spnner/prop failure during flight).

This plane is a blast!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Oregon Craig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I maidened mine finally on Sunday morning. Didn't torque right or left, just flew anemically into the ground, straight ahead, as I would expect an electric to do. Unfortunately, at the time, I was trying to nudge it up ever so gently, at full throttle, when the prop hit and spun the pinion loose on the motor shaft. Have it fixed for now, will try again this weekend. I don't think I threw it quite hard enough, but I really wouldn't know. I've never had to throw any of my balsa built glow powered planes. I set them down on wheels or floats and fly them off the ground. [:@][:'(][:-]
Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

N7OR- Sounds like you may not have gotten the Stang up to speed and launched into the wind, just a guess. The best advise that I have read (and use myself with good success) regarding the launch of electric planes, and the PZ Stang in particular would be:

1. Set your trims to full up elevator and some right, this will help the model while you get the controller back in your hands comfortably after launch.

2. Now find the wind, and if you can, go right in to it (I am sure you already knew this before I wrote anything) because it's critical to get airflow over the wing at this point, think aircraft carrier launch. Launching cross wind when it's blowing more than 3-4 mph is asking for disaster as the plane will side slip and may not recover (I've had some shaky, near misses because I ignored this one and 1 bad crash because of it, needless to say that I've learned my lesson and watch for this all of the time).

3. From here it is VERY important to walk the plane into the wind at LEAST 5 good steps (7 is better) to help increase the airflow over the wings, when the plane is up to speed it will feel like it wants to fly out of your hands (or almost anyway).

4. When you launch have the airplane pointed SLIGHTLY skyward (30-40 degree angle) and make sure you GENTLY Toss it on a LEVEL horizon with some authority but not like a javelin.

5. Recover your sticks and fly like the veteran you already are. You'll love this plane!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 AM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have learnt not to comment on the perfprmance of the plane in the USA as the air quality is totaly diferent as I have been told (thinner at altitude) only thing I know for definate is you have to throw a lot harder into the wind than we do in the UK.
its not the plane or pilots fault but the lack of lift in thin air.

afpe45
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 AM
terryo7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol ! Yeah, lets go with thinner air! That has to be the reason my plane lasted 20 seconds, it most certainly wasn't my piloting skills!
Actually I live in Florida, and I was at the beach when mine crashed...0 feet above sea level...hmmm, perhaps it WAS my piloting skills....
I have been to Manchester on my way to Oldham , I didn't notice any difference in air density there from Florida...Maybe I should have started with a trainer....
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

afpe45- It does seem that the pilots over in Europe have fewer problems with launching this plane then we Yank's over here based upon the posts that I've read here, on the Focke Wolfe thread and another forum.

That's why I've noted as with other PZ Stang pilots that it is critical to take those 5-7 steps to help the Stang get up to airspeed. N7OR is a veteran pilot so if anything I could learn some flying lessons from him I'm sure, it's just that after reading through the entire forum over the past 9 months or so I've recognized a pattern for successful launches that has worked well, so I figured I would pass along a quick synopsis.[8D]

Pilot skill does play a role but there are quirks to most things human made that also need to be accounted for. A buddy of mine and I were joking at the track (I race RC Cars on a National Level) this past weekend about how a person can make the top 10 at the ROAR Carpet Nationals racing a shoe box with a slower than stock motor (in the modified class) if they are good enough....NOT!!!![>:]

Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
terryo7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dunno, maybe I was lucky on my (only) launch , I was facing the wind , approximately 7 mph, but took no steps, and moderately threw my mustang straight ahead in the air with no problems at all .I did have the throttle set around 3/4 max, this may be what some folks are having trouble with.Like I said before, I am a complete newbie at this whole r/c thing, but the launch was the only good thing I accomplished .As long as I didn't try to turn, I was very impressed with the parkzone p51....but I may be blaming my crash on a gust, and in reality just screwed the pooch on my own !I really don't know , she went down so fast, I can't be sure....But it was real purty while it lasted....
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

terryo7- Did you actually get a chance to control the plane by moving the stick around or did it simply start off fine and then it went into a gentle turn and dive for the ground while you were pushing the stick the opposite way?

If this is what happened then you were a victim of the dreaded "torque roll" which is why putting some right trim into the plane on launch is done.

Of course if it flew up and away and then you tried to turn her and banked her and pulled back on the stick so hard that she tip stalled and started to go into a dive that you didn't correct for by giving some opposite aileron to level the wings and pulling up out of the dive real quick...well...ummm...then yeah, it WAS your fault. Although it isn't funny and I feel your pain. [8D]
Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
terryo7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, let me think....Ok , like i said, good launch, far easier than expected....a nice steady climb, with minimal input from me(with very moderate wiggling and wing rocking...she was about 80 foot altitude, and say... 1000 feet away...moderate wind,@ground probably 7-10 mph, at altitude certainly higher, with moderate gusts15-18 mph possibly...My problems began when I tried to turn it back towards me...gentle turn to the right...whereupon, it rolled to 90 degrees on edge, and began an immediate powerdive...very likely, I choked, it happened so fast, and I was so inexperienced, it seemed less than two seconds til impact...I still would like to think it was a strong gust of wind that knocked her out of the sky, but...sigh...coulda been some of me too...I stripped out all the hardware last night, thinking about trying to put it in a homemade foamie air frame to get some cheap practice.Any idea if the motor/battery combo(stock)will work in a foamie?or too heavy?any (my wife says gotta be cheeeeeep)suggestions?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

terryo7- I'm not an expert but it does sound like a strong gust that did you in. Try one of the parkzone trainer planes and just put your stuff in it, if that is what you want to do then I don't see why you can't put it into something really cheeeeaaaapppp and just fly around.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@darnold & terryo7,

I based my post about thin air purly from reading posts from the usa about people living at altitude, and the videos from the usa, and everyone seems to get a dip at launch, I myself living in rochdale(6 miles from oldham) never get a dip at launch ,always a steady clime out into wind, of cource with the torque roll but that is a gradual effect and easeyly corrected.
I am basicaly a slope flyer and don't fly power/electric very often so I am a novice to power/electric, just trying to help with my comments for others to think about. I launch at full throttle by the way as less doesn't seem to want to pull the plane out of my hand which is what you want for a succesfull launch, providing your trims are set right.
I am always on the lookout for advice and tips on flight skills and plane mods.

@ terryo7,

definately pilot error(lack of experience)

afpe45.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
duaneh1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a FW 190, use with lipos. I've never had an issue with hand launching. I barely have to throw it and it does a steady climb with no dip at all. Also, I have never noticed any kind of "torque roll". I'm thinking of getting a P51, is it like a totally different animal with regards to hand launching?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@duaneh1.
Acording to the USA flyers it is, but if you use the same power setup and have enough throttle so it wants to pull out of your hand and launch into any wind you should be ok, let us know of your success if you get one.

afpe45.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.