Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
gleebs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

So I have a question for you veterans of this plane. My bro learned on the stryker then spent his meager life savings (he's 13) on a p-51. He was no stranger to the hand launch, but it torque rolled left his first launch and smashed it up. He came to my place and we fixed it up, new gearbox, prop, cowling, spinner. I had flown more than him, so I tried it out this time, gave it a healthy throw, and again torque roll to the left. More parts. I tried one more time, giving full right aileron on launch, and it still went to the left and into the ground. By this time the body was so smashed up along with all the other parts that generally need replacement, it just wasn't worth fixing. My friend gets a p-51 for christmas, I watch him hand launch, (which he has never done) just as I would the stryker and it climbs to altitude with zero problems and no torque roll. This doesn't make sense to me. I think the p-51 being built the way it is with hollow, extremely light foam, leads to warping problems, and some get lucky with their airframe and others don't. What do you think?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
duaneh1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like something is out of alignment on the body. I noticed on my FW the horizontal stab is misaligned with respect to the wings, but it doesen't seem to affect the trim in level flight nor hand launches. However when looping-it wants to twist out of the loop unless I give lots of aileron.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gleebs,

one of the issues with the p51 is the lack of finger holds for handlaunches...holding it behind the belly scoop makes the model feel nose heavy and also makes throwing her with the wings level a little difficult...to get additional air moving over the wings, try the running handlaunch method...even with a hot bl setup, mine will tend to dip if the launch is not clean...
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I feel your pain...that's exactly what my first P-51 did but I got out with only a busted elevator, spinner and prop.

That's when I did the massive thread read and came up with the composite launch from all of the successful descriptions, but there is something regarding setup that might help that I have forgotten to put in: make sure that you set both ailerons at 1/8" up, this setting will help the plane gain some extra lift.

Also, make sure that you put some right aileron and up elevator trim into her (try full to start out) and then retrim in flight, this is something else that I normaly do. Next, you might want to break in your motor with some RC Car racing "commutator drops" and then spray it out with some "motor spray" (watch the foam!!!!), this should help the motor to develop its maximum power with less arching (think electrical noise = interference).

Finally, don't forget to take 5-7 steps into the wind to aide the plane with its initial air speed, this is absolutely critical in my opinion, even though there are a number of Stang Pilots that can launch well without having to take those steps to aid the plane, most of us do.

There are many quality control issues that have been noted, I even made a list of the top 10 problems on page 77 based upon everyone elses insights. I would agree 100% that quality control issues are definitely present on the PZ fighter line up (at least with the Stang and FW) but I would also say that the Mustang is an absolute joy to fly and that in most cases the quality control issues can be worked around and avoided. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 PM
gleebs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys, the plane is toast now, and I probably wont get another. I just wished to understand why I couldn't do it, but my friend with basically no previous experience had no troubles. I will go back and read 77 also.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 PM
gleebs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow after reading that it makes me wonder why anybody would by the thing. But seeing it in the air is pretty cool, and that seems to be the only thing going for it, is the scale appearance and flight characteristics.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:16 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

darnold,
Just a comment about the aileron "up" setting. I also set my ailerons to be trailing edge up, but about 1/16 inch, although I think 1/8 inch is good too, but this is not to create "extra" lift, it is to reduce the lift PROFILE on the outer panel compared to the inner panel. (The overall lift of the entire wing remains the same, but flies at a little higher angle of attack.) Remember not to do this on planes with the aileron running the full length of the wing!

This makes the plane more stable by reducing tip stall. The inner wing will now stall the plane and drop the nose before the outer wing stalls. This keeps the plane level in recovery and avoids that nasty cartwheel effect typical of a stalling warbird.

Just thought I would claridgfy a confusing, but important tip on setting up these park flyer warbirds.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:52 PM
airstik2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys

my dad and i have had the parkzone p51 for a year and a half
we are putting in a e-flite park 480 motor
with a motor mount

so i was wondering where the cg is
sence different servos, rec, battery,motor, and esc are being put in it

thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 09:03 AM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@38,
go to the PZsite on the P-51 page and look at or download the "ParkZone P-51D Mustang Replacement Airframe Manual Insert" the recomended CofG is there.

@gleebs,

as well as the aileron reflex ,check that the antenna wire wasn't tangled around any servo wires in the fuz,even if it is toast now you can still check.

afpe45.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 AM
darnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tclaridge- thanks for clarifying, I actually knew this from another forum but I did a horrible job of writing this.

gleebs- I think that in our tech world we have come to expect perfection and consistent operation, especially since many of our modern "toys" are electronic, they typically either work or they don't, and if they don't work perfectly as advertised we stop using them; when these type of products fail it is usually more catastrophic and we simply buy something new.

Airplanes need a lower standard deviation in build tolerances, and it seems that the materials that our electric planes or made of are more prone to wider tolerance margins, my bet is that this is often overcome with higher power to weight ratios on other electrics.

It should be noted that other electrics are usually smaller than our Stangs and FW's, with that, my thought is that the larger the plane becomes the more power it needs to overcome any inconsistencies regarding build quality; I think the PZ fighters are a little down on power/weight ratio in this regards, and that's probably why lipo powered Stang's seem to have less issues with launches and general flight characteristics from my observations on this thread and the other forum that I read.

As I've written before, unlike cars, with planes when something goes wrong your odds of getting it back safely are noticeably less, simply put we really depend more on everything working correctly for these planes to fly well, of course more power can help to overcome some problems at times, but in general things have to work pretty much at 100% for us to have control over these planes, when they don't...we usually get a bunch of parts to take home. [>:]
Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
airstik2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanls afpe
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 AM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gonna be maidening my mustang tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM
terryo7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good luck, I hope yours lasts longer than mine!(22 seconds to total devastation!)
I dont think it was the planes fault though....This is not a trainer, so if you dont have much experience,well.......they say you can put the electronics into another plane....I used about 3/4 throttle and had a great launch...good luck!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man all I can say is Wow. What a blast. Went through 2 2200 3 cell lipos, and the plane was perfect. Way smoother than my stryker. Landings were easy, 5-10 mph winds, it was great.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

O1SCSS which 2200 3 cell lipos are you using? Just curious as I am thinking of making another Stang for the coming summer or selling off all my stang goodies like Powerzone module, Axi 2808/24 outunner,3 LIPOs, E flite motor mount etc.

Even with the extra power of a BL setup I sometimes still screwed up the launch on the plane. With the torque against the plane it would still often twist left and dive into the ground. That running start is probably a good idea. I've watched many launches and many people angle the plane upward (because its so hard to grab onto) so much it stalls right away and falls after that. Throw it fairly level with that full right and some up trim and correct it after launch.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@01SCSS.

I am glad it was successfull, does the stock speed controller cut out ok at the right voltage ,and how hot does the lipo pack get. how long did each flight or rather battery pack last. I too want to know what make lipos you are using and if they fit ok.

afpe45.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
01SCSS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My lipos are 3E Model Brand 2200 mah 10c 3 Cells. They fit perfect. Run times were at least 15 min. I never hit the low voltage cut off in the mustang, but I have in the stryker.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lib,

i agree...i wish pz would redesign the wing to incorporate finger holds for handlaunches...i think this would really minimize a lot of the bad launches...launching the p51 from behind the wing is like throwing a dart from its tail feathers...it's inherently unstable...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah Gunracer you've described it perfectly. It IS inherently unstable throwing it that way. I've read on here of people grabbing the fuse under the cowl in front of the wing but that area is rather fragile and I don't relish having my fingers 2 inches from the maxxed out prop as I'm throwing it.[X(]
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah lib i know what you mean about that prop...i've been bitten more than once...i also don't relish the thought of hitting the back of my head with the wing as i'm throwing her...i'll conduct an experiment...i'll install the finger holds from the belly pan of an fw190 onto the p51 to see if it helps with the handlaunches...if the weather permits, i'll try it this weekend, report my findings and post pixs of the mod...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
afpe45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hit you in the back of the head ?.

I hope you all don't launch that way, I hold my planes at arms length above my head and throw with a slight downward launch to gain a bit of forward momentum
and I never get any dosedives they always climb away.

Just a thought but it might be the way you launch that causes the misshaps.

afpe45.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish they would re-design the wing with some retracts. Then the whole tossing thing isn't a worry, and what fun those touch-and-goes would be!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Danielisbell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool
Old 02-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Libertarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen a video of someone throwing it underhanded holding it just in front of the canopy. ??? I worked in their video but you don't have much throwing power that way and holding the cowl there is too flimsy to me.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
GWARREN2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had a couple of problems with my PZ P51, The first one I had flew great one day, and crashed three times in a row during launch the next day ( last one fatal).
I bought another and have flown it several times with no problems at all. It flies great, looks good, and overall very enjoyeable. I have purchased a FW190 & SPITFIRE also.
My question is, has anyone called Horzon about problems ( other than the obvious pilot error )? and if so, what did they do in response.
I would like them to replace the airframe, wing and cowling, but I do not know if that is reasoneable.

I have been flying RC` for years ( electrics, nitro 25,40,60,90 size ) with no problems ( that were the fault of the product )

any info would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.