Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 PM
racer-mech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Excellent flying Ploesti. Low and fast, I like seeing mine come across the field the same way minus the G-turn at the end. Forgive me guys for I know this is the p-51 thread, but I have the fw190. I bring that up because i've been reading about some of the low level characteristics of the p-51. The bobbling around and constant corrections that woodymax spoke of. I've noticed that the airframe seems to be so light that any pulsing type of wind, above 3-4 mph, will have you wanting to do constant corrections. I find this a bit more at lower speeds, not just puttering but 25%-30% throttle. I also know that rock steady low and fast can get the better of you for i've heard my prop mow the lawn without crashing[>:]. As far as the snaps, I guess I haven't had mine long enough. I've been steadily getting closer to the control surface with my clevise but still no unruly snaps...yet. I know the manual gives c.g. spot on wing , but Ploesti/woodymax have you guys altered that at all?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
afpe45

@racer-mech,

If you mean the red dots on the wing, The CofG is nowhere near them.
parkzone say that the CofG With everything stock, and using either nimh or lipos is between 71.4mm and 76mm from leading edge.
But mine with nmh(I haven't tried lipos yet) stock out of the box ballances at 60mm from leading edge,(measured from centre of wing just behind battery box and transfered to top of wing to ballance, I pushed a pin through the wing).
mine flies great but at less than full throttle is a bit unstable, I havent flown it in less than 9mph wind on the flat, it rolls fine loops fine, flies inverted fine, spins fine, though pulling out of a 3 or 4 spin almoast folds the wing.
One thing though dont flip from low rates to high rates in flight as it alters the elevators centre ,just try it on the ground and you will see what I mean .
Launching I use full throttle with 3/4 up elevator trim(trim lever 3/4 down) and as soon as I reach about 15 feet off the ground I Alter the elevator to about 1/4 down trim(trim lever1/4 up) to make it fly level at full throttle, I use high rates all the time now but If I start off in low rates I stay in low rates till I land and change to high rates. to land I shut off the throttle and put in 3/4 to full up trim depending how fast the speed bleeds off and it bellies in nicely.

I also slope it in 11mph to 15 mph winds, it slopes not so good but it is a chalenge and if it starts behaving badly I just open up the throttle to gain height and speed and carry on sloping.

I havent done anything to my other frankie that I am modding, I am flying too often to bother. I am either sloping my J.P. bullet2 60"(which is still going strong) or my zaggi thl, or flying frankie and my xe2(brushless and lipos) either on the flat or off the slope.

If you haven't seen my modded J.P. bullet2 60" HERE IS A PIC. its a bit diferent than the original

afpe45.
PS: view the two in flight full size or you can't see them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60395.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	501814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15210.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	501815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22526.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	501816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66677.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	501817  
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Libertarian

Hey ploesti_b24,
Sounds like you like that imaginary pylon flying I have started to enjoy lately. I almost never get down to 3 feet though. I do that stuff at 8 to 15 feet which is as low as I care to get with my highly modded planes. If I crash one it takes many hours to duplicate the outrunner brushless setup and the foamed fuse and CF strut wing, etc. I'm starting to consider flying em stock again consequently as they fly better light without the foam. Plus the CF spar straightens out the wing some which makes it roll over more. That V wing works good to keep it stable at speed. It IS lots of fun to crank it over to almost 90 degrees and pull up and it turns like RIGHT NOW without stalling at all as if its on rails as long as you have lots of speed (like half throttle). Lots of fun and looks really cool.
Oh, BTW, afpe45 I agree with your launch settings and technique for resetting the trim once you're in the air, but I disagree about not changing from LOW to HI RATES or Vice versa. As we all know the ailerons don't reset well after you turn on this plane. I think that is what afpe45 is seeing when the ailerons look uneven when you change rates. They usually seem even to me but I set my ailerons evenly before launch and don't rely on trim completely to even them out after launch (just a little bit). To do this correctly you must set them with the battery connected and the TX turned on, THEN set the trim to center and THEN adjust the aileron trim wire knobs so the ailerons appear about 1/16th inch about centered even with the wing (for some added washout). Maybe that is why I have almost no differential when I switch back and forth? The RATE changes but the differential between the ailerons doesn't.
I screwed up last launch and used LOW RATES (cause my plane flies so fast HI RATES are erratic) and I find LOW RATES works best for landing where smoothness is important so I tried launching on LOW RATES; bad idea. [link=http://media.putfile.com/7-21-06-CrashVideo]BAD torque roll launch crash[/link] If you ever get a bad torgue roll on launch you NEED HI RATES to counter it as I have done several times from some CRAZY 90 degree, torque roll angles[X(]. I will ONLY launch on HI RATES from now on, but then I will switch to LOW RATES except for serious tricks.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 AM
guy5927

Frankie flies GRRRRREAT with a 3S lipo of 176 grams and an additional lead plate of 30 grams invisibly mounted in or under the cowl .... Most of the Parkzone airplanes come seriously tailheavy out of the box to accomodate the less seasoned flyers...
Old 08-05-2006, 02:48 AM
GLbiggles

Libertarian,
Here in our local group the guys are using .5 mm x 3mm (1/64" x 1/8") carbon strips taped/glued to the outer top and bottom surfaces of the wings This seems to fix any folding problems and while it does not look as good as internal tube you use it is easier to apply and does not cause the wing to straighten out. Generally use very thin double side tape to fix carbon to wing and a strip of filament tape ove the top.
the carbon strips are what are used for 3D foamy wing strengthening. Many model suppliers have it in Australia.
I have not found any braces neccessary for the focke wolf as yet.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:44 AM
Libertarian

GLbiggles Hey, that sounds like a much easier way to insure my wings don't buckle yet keep their original shape! Where do you get them??? Are they really that strong??? The last time I put the carbon fiber arrow in my wing I cut off about 6" from it so the wing would not have to flatten out as much but it still does noticeably. This seems like a good solution as long as it can handle hard 60 mph pull ups?? The motor sounds like its idling but the plane is hauling A__! Here's some pix of the Outrunner motor, plane and FrankieCam setup. With the Brushless Outrunner and 4 blade prop the plane now makes audible screams as it dives so its really moving! It sounds different from my onboard camera than it does from the ground but you can hear it doing that in these videos. In this flight the 1800 LIPO mAmp batt was strong but I used only half to 70% throttle. This was a picture perfect flat landing BTW. Note the grasshoper checking out the plane when it lands. [link=http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=126920]1st flight on 6/25/6[/link] In this flight the TP 2100 mAmp batt is not in good shape and only gives me half power for some reason (its on its last legs I think) so I use 3/4 throttle but you hear it scream in several dives anyway. [link=http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=126942]2nd flight on 6/25/6[/link] You'll notice that I launch at around 3/4 throttle and reduce it to around half because the plane flies erratically at these speeds as you can tell. I have no idea what speeds I'm reaching but it never did that stock. I used the flatter profile CF arrow reinforced wing even with the stock motor so I know that's not why it screams. Fixing the shape of the wing might help the way it flies at high speed too I hope!!![:-] Just tell me where you get them and if they're really strong!
Thanks!

Name:	Nl28610.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	501945   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42974.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	501946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58008.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	501947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68508.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	501948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85931.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	501949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39471.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	501950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90211.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	501951  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:10 AM
GLbiggles

Libertarian, I made a mistake it is 1mm x 3mmx 1 meter long. That is .040" x .115" x 39.5" approx. It is about $3 Australian a strip. I'll see if it can be posted to you.
Model Engines Australia is the importer. I would be surprised if it was not available at major Hobby suppliers in USA. Many of the free plans for foamies on the web show similar stuff as wing edge strengthener.

a US Supplier could be ACP http://www.acp-composites.com/ they have similar strips under rectangular carbon rods .040 x .166 in a couple of lengths.
Hobby Lobby lists 1x3 and 1x4 strips. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/carbonfiber.htm at similar price to what we have here.
Let me know how you go with it.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:17 AM
GLbiggles

Lib,
I forgot, the strength once fitted to the wing is great. The wings show very little sign of flex even with lipo and brushless power.They will hold broken wings together. Mind you, the filament tape would also be a help.
Guys have even fixed Aerobird type wings so they will stand extreme flight with bigger motors fitted.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Libertarian

Thanks GLbiggles ! I'll give it a try!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
racer-mech

Lib, that camera/pilot setup is sweet. Which is the better way to go..., brushless with gear box or outrunner? It would be with 3s lipo 2100mah. I'm asking because eflite has what they call a 'drop in' replacement. However I always hear guys at the field running outrunners (on different style planes though). Oh, and the 4 bladed prop..., for show or go? Where can I find one?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Jay Hayes

Libertarian, the 4 blade prop looks fantastic. The outrunner set up is great. I cant bring myself to buy a full set up for my P 51, as the total of the mods would exceed the cost of a full replacement airplane. If I ever total my mini funtana I would use its running gear in my mustang, but I hope it never comes to that. I would love to know where you got the prop. I went for a short fly today, the barn swallows seem to think my plane is either a threat or a God, usually a bunch will come out and fly around it for a few minutes after take off. It makes me wonder. I'm sure others harrass airborne wildlife too. I have found: swallows seem to want to get involved. Crows and seagulls leave faster than I can get to them. Turkey vultures will alter course if necessary, but usaully use altitude for defense. They are the U2 of the bird world. And finally GEESE DONT CARE! I have never been able to get a goose to do anything other than ignore me. Its probably for the best.
Hey racer mech, are you refering to E Flites new "6" series brushless that they describe as a perfect upgrade for a speed 480? I saw that too, Its shaft size is 2mm instead of 2.3 on the PZ P51. but if you could get the right pinion gear that should work. 300 watts of power with a 40 amp speed control. Thats a smidge more than the stock + or - 125 watts. Plane may end up being longer after the flight. I'll do this someday.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:46 PM
racer-mech

Ploesti, the 6 series was exactly what I was looking at. Compared to the 450/480 outrunners it seems to have more power also, however, this is where I lack in knowledge. Are the less powerful (numerically) outrunners actually more powerful because they don't use a gear setup? My buddy just got an eflite p47, looks awsome, and has already purchased the eflite 450 outrunner. If I stay with the gear box and get the 6 series, how would I do? I would just wait until he builds it and see how it goes against my stock bird but at the rate he's going we'll have landed a man on Mars. Guys... help me go fast!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: racer-mech

Lib, that camera/pilot setup is sweet. Which is the better way to go..., brushless with gear box or outrunner? It would be with 3s lipo 2100mah. I'm asking because eflite has what they call a 'drop in' replacement. However I always hear guys at the field running outrunners (on different style planes though). Oh, and the 4 bladed prop..., for show or go? Where can I find one?
Hobby Lobbyhas that prop (search for FS 400). They also sell one piece 4 blade props. It's an inch shorter than stock but the plane is VERY fast with it. Has more drag which generates way more reverse torgue on launches I believe. This is a VERY durable 5 piece design. Buy a few extra hubs though. I use a touch of super glue to put the blades in and they're almost indestructible. Even when the blades pop off they're almost always reuseable.

I love the outrunner cause it makes the whole front of the plane like the terminator. Cowls last much longer cause the motor takes the brunt of the crash thru the prop shaft and transmit the shock to the firewall which MUST be reinforced or it'll crack into pieces. I epoxy the bottom curve which is where it breaks using ANY motor setup on every hard crash. While you're at it, use some coathangar wire Gorilla glued in place to make longer/stronger pins to hold the wing on from the scoop. The gearbox is fragile and will break often, or the pinion drive gear will break loose from the motor shaft the first time it touches anything while under power. Installing the outrunner is a big job though and I'm kind of sick of it. I'm thinking about selling off my Mustang parts and buying a whole new plane. Offers? $200 will get you the Axi 2808/24 outrunner, E flight 40 amp ESC, Powerzone module to convert to brushless and use the stock channel 5 stock Rx and Tx (included) and and $40 worth of stock accessories, such as 2 Frankies, extra stickers, 12 exhaust stacks, about 12 FS 400 4 blade props with 7 center hubs, aluminum prop adapter, E- Flite E mount aluminum motor mount for the Brushless motor, 2 reinforced elevators, extra Control Horns and/Wing Skids for elevator and ailerons, Charger Connector w/Wire for 1100 mAh Battery and extra Deans connectors with wire, extra Battery Doors, CF arrow reinforced and protective laminated coated main wing, a few new cowls, 3 stock motors (2 are totally NEW {never used}), a new gearbox/firewall and 2 extra prop gearshafts, belly scoop (reinforced), 3 spinners, 3 extra elevator pushrods, 4 canopys, 2 stock batteries, 2 LIPOs (an 1800 and a 2100), 2 stock chargers (all with Deans connectors) an extra channel 2 Rx and extra channel 2 Tx. Pretty much everything but the new fuse you'll need. I'll also tell you how to mount up the outrunner (its also on my posts on this site).
$200 is a steal for all this stuff. A fuse is $27 on [link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com/SearchResults.asp]Red Rocket site[/link]

If you want all this stuff you can either send me a check and I'll send it to ya or I'll list it on ebay for ya so you KNOW I'll send it (I have a high ebay rating) and you can use the BUY IT NOW button to get it for sure so some other bidder doesn't get it (I'll set the BUY IT NOW at $200). Let me know guys. It's probably $300 to $400 + worth of parts.

I'm gonna look for an unbreakable plane.

Name:	Tr49333.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	502316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95767.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	502317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88630.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	502318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41198.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	502319  
Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 AM
KingCobra79

ORIGINAL: ploesti_b24

Hey racer mech, are you refering to E Flites new "6" series brushless that they describe as a perfect upgrade for a speed 480? I saw that too, Its shaft size is 2mm instead of 2.3 on the PZ P51. but if you could get the right pinion gear that should work. 300 watts of power with a 40 amp speed control. Thats a smidge more than the stock + or - 125 watts. Plane may end up being longer after the flight. I'll do this someday.
Just to let you know, I bought the 6 series and it doesn't fit in the gear box, so I am not sure what they are talking about, so I gave up on that one. I bought the 450 for my P47 and then changed it out for the 480, 10 x 10 prop, wow, it is super fast. So when I decide to fly the P51 again, I will use the 450 for that one. If you figure out how to use the 6 series, please post the info.
thanks.
Al
Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 AM
mbj

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let anyone that is interested know that I am selling My P51 mustang...After I had an accident []
Didnt get back too flying it quick enough and have lost the nerve to fly it since then.
I have it listed here in the for sale ad. It has the details.
No offer too low within reason.
Its on Channel 5 and still flies as it is, it has internal damage too the motor mount and the plastic that holds all of it. Plus the cowl has a crack and of course the fusalage is torn. Everything has been taped and glued but is reccomended to purchase the replacement parts which should be around $41.
I posted a picture of it in the condition that it is in at the moment in the Ad.

I hope I am not Violating any rule by mentioning this here but thought if someone needed an extra parts plane or one too fix so that they can save money in the long run..I would let those that actually fly thiers know that mine is available.
It says $85 and that is what I would like but if someone has a reasonable offer I will seriously consider it, since its doing nothing but sitting and that is not good for any Airplane.
It has everything that came with it except the original Box!
If I remember correctly shipping from Oregon to Indiana was $30 so take that into consideration when offering a price.
I want someone to get it for well below cost so that they can fix it up and enjoy it like I did in the beginning

Thanks everyone and Happy flying.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
racer-mech

Kingcobra, do you like the p47 more? And the 450 that you mentioned, is it an outrunner or 'drop in'. I enjoy my fw190 and i'm planning on purchasing a p51 post haste unless there are other planes of this size with better build quality. That was something that I noticed about the p47 was awesome detail. Consequently, eflite offers no other warbirds. Does anyone know of other warbirds @ 39" ws?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:47 PM
KingCobra79

Racer Mech,
I enjoy the P47 MUCH MORE than the ParkZone P51. To satisfy my need to own and fly a P51, I now fly the Hangar 9 P51 PTS, 58 ws. So for a great warbird at the 39" ws range, I believe that the P47 is it. It is much more rugged and much more repairable than the P51. You can fly it with or without wheels and bombs. I keep them both on cause I really like landing. I don't have a great landing place so I use a gravel lot (grass is always too high) and it lands fine (I did cut in the rudder too). This plane doesn't tip stall like the P51 either. If you get this plane, make sure you put tape along the leading edge of the underwing cover. This is a major flaw, but easy to fix, of this plane.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Jay Hayes

Racer-Mech, I believe there are MANY planes with a higher build quality. That been said, I also believe the PZ P51 / FW 190 is one of the BEST deals ever in RC airplanes. If you read the older entries in this forum, you will see alot gripes about the plane, but the reason for this is the PZ planes brought ALOT of new pilots/ participants to this hobby. Everyone who likes aviation loves a mustang. Who wants to spend time and money flying high wing stick fuselage or civilian looking planes? I didn't. Scale warbirds have always been the exclusive territory of veteran RCers. But alot of these new fliers werent really ready for a low wing aeileron scale warbird that will stall at low speed. The P51 build quality is actually really good for what it is and what its meant to do. $179 shipped! Untouchable! I have a several E Flite planes and love them (mini funtana, cessna, ultimate bipe) and I want that P 47 too. But, to start from scratch, to get the P 47 airborne you need: Plane $80, esc $50, outrunner $50ish, servos $15x3,radio system $180-@$200, LiPo $80, charger $50. Put it together and you have a plane that will decidedly outfly the P 51, but the Mustang still does real good in a comparison. This ignores the P 47 comes with the same el cheapo speed 480. I am NOT knocking the P 47. That type of plane is actually the next step in the hobby. The next step in a long voyage. Don't forget your wallet. You will need it. Often.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Jay Hayes

Racer, I forgot to mention, give that stock battery the old heave-ho. Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3 cell is the way to go. Deans connectors too. SOme guys use the Thunder Power 1320 with good results, I have not tried that so I can't really comment. But pull the jumper as instructed in the manual and enjoy the better climb rate, speed and flight time of LiPo.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Jay Hayes

KingCobra, thanks for the set up advice. I have been wanting that P 47 for a while, but have been resisting. I was hoping it would be as nice as the Mustang, but it sounds like a real hot rod. I have no pavement to work with. Do you think you could hand launch with the 10x10?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Libertarian

The Thunderpower 2100 LIPO fits too and lasts longest. I even had an offbrand LIPO 2600 for awhile but it died.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:35 PM
KingCobra79

KingCobra, thanks for the set up advice. I have been wanting that P 47 for a while, but have been resisting. I was hoping it would be as nice as the Mustang, but it sounds like a real hot rod. I have no pavement to work with. Do you think you could hand launch with the 10x10?
Yes you can, and I do sometimes. You can also had launch with a 10 x 7 and I do that too (I switch around the props alot-now using a 9 x 7 3-blade). The 10 x 10 is way overpowered and I only go WOT on the occasional low pass. Hand launching this plane is also much easier than the P51. I throw it underhanded, holding it right behind the cowling and and light toss at 45 degree up angle, throttle about 70%, and away she goes...
Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
KingCobra79

Racer-Mech, I believe there are MANY planes with a higher build quality.
Really?? Adding a radio/ESC/motor/servos is the norm for anyone in the hobby. True, Parkzone is a good deal for the first airplane, but then you find out that you need to buy all the other stuff anyway to replace the crappy motor/radio system the P51 came with. I know, not everyone does, but just read the glitch reports. And don't crash, because you have to replace the nose/cowling and possibly the fuselage (all are poorly repairable). At $79 for the EFlite P47, find me a better (repairability, graphic detail) warbird in this size... No, seriously, the best one I found is the Hangar 9 P51 PTS at $119. Unbelievable price and quality, plus it is a 58 inch wingspan. In fact, it is only $101 at Horizonhobby right now (attic price). So please, point out these better planes...
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Avindair

Just wanted to let everyone know about a bit of good luck on my end.

My not-local-at-all HS is shutting down and moving much closer. Because of this they were having a "closing sale" with prices slashed 30-40%. I managed to nab a fully-loaded fuselage replacement for my P-51D, as well as a buttload of spare parts for a great discount.

And today? Well, I took the pony up for a ride. It was a wonderful flight, save one glitch; I had to dial in full right aileron trim to stabilize her, and she didn't "snap" as much as I'd recalled. I verified that the ailerons were trimmed-out prior to launch, but after a picture-perfect belly-landing, I found that they had, in fact, slipped a bit.

Oh, well. Guess I'll tighten them up going forward.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share some pics of the flight, courtesy of my son.

Avindair

Name:	Bz79145.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	502947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71339.jpg
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	502948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12969.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	502949  
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Jay Hayes

KingCobra, What I was saying was there are many planes that are better build quality than the PZ P 51. The E-Flite P 47 and the Hanger 9 PTS are both examples of higher quality. In my opinion about 70% of the ARF kits by just about anyone would end up being better quality than the PZ. But, to get the foot in the door, to start the addiction, the PZ P 51 / FW 190 are great. I few dozen flights and your hooked for years. Of course you move on from the "all in one box" stuff in a few months. But I appreciate Parkzone luring me to this hobby with a mass produced low cost warbird I stood a chance at flying, and for all the flights I got from my planes. I, too, have moved ahead and made the investment in radio equipment and other planes. And I still break out the P 51 for cheap thrills. I dont mean to imply the PZ radio is good stuff, it isn't, but I suspect ALOT of the plane / radio failures may actually be novice pilot errors. Any RC pilot who tells you he never screws up is lying. I have demolished a few planes with radios that did just what they were told.
And yes, that is a great deal on the PTS at Horizon. ( I saw the $119 offer )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.