Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Groundrushesup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

ORIGINAL: AETCBoom4
Ground: Nice setup, I had the same one in my Mustang before I sold it. IMHO it is the best BL inrunner to use. I have used the AON setup but the 6 series beats it hands down. If I may pass a word of advice, I would ditch the stock prop in favor of the 10x8 Eflite prop, it is the same used on the P-38 and it will mount to the stock gear box. I was getting severe cavitation in flight, due to the stock prop coneing over at above 3/4 throttle. I was using TPS 11.1 2100 prolites in mine. I'm not sure if the extremes will fit in the battery compartment without modification. I definitely recommend reinforcing the wing with CF. I believe I still have the picas if you are interested. It's the same mod I helped Sinai with a while back.

Thanks for the scoop on the eflite 10x8's man. I had an inkling that I'd be smart if I looked for a sturdier prop that doesn't swing those fat paddles on the end like the stock jobber.
As far as the TP extreme, it fits, almost. I have a sturdy velcro rig in place of the stock hatch so it stays put and doesn't hang out like a sore thumb.

Ah so you're the originator of the CF mod? I just did that to my wing a few weeks ago, but I did it [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10181644&postcount=1761]with four small rods[/link] laid parallel rather than a large single truss. I dunno I just felt it would be less prone to torsion that way, and it is 26" long so it conforms to the dihedral well without deforming the underside of the airfoil. Pardon my lack of attribution in that post. I've read all 100+ pages here now so some details are a bit fuzzy.

EDIT : Corrected attribution. Handy when you host the image on your own web server.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Whiznr

Some "Top Secret" info to share from Horizon. I know they won't mind because none of it is "confirmed" other than this:

A couple weeks ago I talked on the phone to David at Horizon. First thing out of his mouth was, "I wish I could tell you what I just test flew today."
Well, at SEFF My buddy & I mentioned some possible improvements to the P-51. David and Peter's reply was, "well, actually I can't say much more than we're planning to re-tool the P-51 and possibly some other planes."

So I told David, "Let me guess, you guys have upgraded the Spit, 190, and P-51 to run on brushless like the T-28 and Corsair, with better radio gear and structural improvements, and ya just flew the P-51 didn't ya..... ????"

Silence............ "Hehehe, well, that's your guess...." was his reply.

O.K, doesn't sound like much, but I bet I'm right. Expect something NEW soon ya'll.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Groundrushesup

ORIGINAL: Whiznr

Some "Top Secret" info to share from Horizon. I know they won't mind because none of it is "confirmed" other than this:

A couple weeks ago I talked on the phone to David at Horizon. First thing out of his mouth was, "I wish I could tell you what I just test flew today."
Well, at SEFF My buddy & I mentioned some possible improvements to the P-51. David and Peter's reply was, "well, actually I can't say much more than we're planning to re-tool the P-51 and possibly some other planes."

So I told David, "Let me guess, you guys have upgraded the Spit, 190, and P-51 to run on brushless like the T-28 and Corsair, with better radio gear and structural improvements, and ya just flew the P-51 didn't ya..... ????"

Silence............ "Hehehe, well, that's your guess...." was his reply.

O.K, doesn't sound like much, but I bet I'm right. Expect something NEW soon ya'll.

Oh nice. Let me drop $200 into this bird and have them one up me with a stock version. All I can say is that mine will still be cooler! so Pfffft! lol
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Whiznr

Hehe, I agree. I mainly wanna see if they improved the structure of the airframe.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Groundrushesup

ORIGINAL: Whiznr

Hehe, I agree. I mainly wanna see if they improved the structure of the airframe.

oh yeah, me too. I'm only a little upset, mainly cause I know I'll just have to buy one now. The real question is if they went with an inrunner w/ GB or an outrunner. Ideas? What is the Corsair? Do we know?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Jay Hayes

Whiz is the inside man! I hope its a hotrod.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Oregon Craig

The Corsair has the same outrunner that is in the t28.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Whiznr

Yeah, as far as the power package is concerned, I'm betting on the T-28 set up since that's what the Corsair had at SEFF.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
LICobra

Some of the spitfire guys have swapped the Stryker 1880kv motor as a direct replacement with the gearbox....I would imagine the power is greater and the gearbox is readily available then to put a T-28 980kv outrunner...

For all who have converted Frankie to a six series it will probably still feel underpowered !!! although I hope we receive a much better airframe.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Knowsley

If you upgrade the battery in the mustang to the lipo, it's a rocket on rails. Without the lipo it's woefully underpowered.

(sorry if this has already been said, there's too many posts to go through them all)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

well after quite a few weeks i finally got my new frankie, from what i caught they lost mine sometime after it was delivered, my trust and love for this company is fading with this model, a refresher, my first frankie crashed and burned from a radio glitch on the second flight. plane went full down elevator and full throttle into a field from about 75 ft high. my second plane came today, opened the box... creased wing ...great... took it out, it felt fairly sturdy, so i put the pane together, put the batteries in the radio and turned it on, plugged the new batt into the plane, not even a twitch from the servos. ive been into electric planes long enough to know you NEVER store a battery at a low charge, let alone at the .7v rating mine showed on the voltmeter. of course i tried to charge it, didnt work, it help a charge long enough to make the prop spin a few times then dead all over again. put my spare batt fully charged in and flew it a couple times, even tho i adjusted the aileron wires till they sat flush it was rolling hard right, trimmed it best i could to land it, tip stalled into a clover patch thank god. adjusted the trim a little more and freshened the battery, flew it again, made about two rounds... noticed some glitching, then full down elevator into a bean field again, luckily only cracking a wing and popping the canopy off, only to notice the assemblers forgot to peel the backing of the sticky stuff holding it on, so needless to say i think the parkzone radio and "junk inside the plane" are going in the trash... probably go park 450, 25 amp esc, and spektrum before i crash it over some half-#@!ed electronics. im so glad to see the corsair with gear, i dont get how the company expects you to belly land this thing knowing that even with one tiny screw up you just wadded up $200 into a heap of confetti in a nice pile of sod.

anyone give me some ideas on landing gear? this whole high speed surf into the weeds landing stuff scares me...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
LICobra

Destroyer...I have to agree with you on the quality of the bulid of these mustangs...the two replacement airframes I bought had various assembly problems, although I guess parkzone feels there within spec..... If there gearing up for a new version, I think they should discontinue the current version with the present quaility control.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

seriously though, i like my super cub because its made out of solid foam. if i break it i can glue it right back together... i cracked the wing on my mustang and all i could do is stick a piece of packing tape on it, thats kinda crappy imo... the battery holder not being supported on its top side is just asking for trouble as well, i thought foam planes were becoming so popular because they were so resilient and replacement parts could be readily available, i dont think a "wing" made from meat tray foam taped together WITHOUT a servo is worth $45. apparently parkzone is having all kinds of problems with these planes because very few hobby shops are stocking the plane, just plenty of parts, and they didnt ask too many questions when it came to me getting a replacement plane, they said "weve been having some problems with that particular model" so why not discontinue it and save a little bit of their customer base? the fact that my battery said
"passed" on it, then being completely dead leads me to believe that this plane had been setting on a shelf in a warehouse for a very... very... long time... rediculous... if a plane is having this much trouble, sell off current stock at a very discounted price and discontinue any further production until a better design is reached, i mean come on, the plane is held together by painted tape...
Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Sinai

your battery should have read, "passed away" . . . sorry you've had those problems with yours. I like the promise of a new design but still enjoy my stock flyer for what it is. And it looks good without spending a lot of money. It is just a piece of well painted foam. But the mustang on Lipo is what i can afford. Best of luck to you, and I do hope PZ does what they did to the J-3 to us as well! Give us BL out of the box!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
sniper1

Just a quick bit of info for anyone who hasnt been following the Parkzone warbird competition, which ran here page 10 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...889790&page=10

or the final entry page and after comments here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900142

My own entry PETIE 3rd coming in 3rd place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54764.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1009980  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 AM
sniper1

PETIE 3RD IS NOW FOR SALE ON EBAY IF ANYONE IS STILL INTERESTED

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:L:LCA:GB:1123
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
darnold

Well everyone I have good news, good news and more good news! First off I found out why Mrs. Dee III got weird and would not listen to my inputs...because she couldn't hear them! LOL!!! Seriously I finally opened her up after a year of not flying her because I thought it was my old NiMh packs that lost voltage and caused her to drop the signal so I decided to put a Deans plug on her to use my 1300's that I just got for my new FA18 EDF! As it turns out it wasn't the batteries, even though they went bad (wouldn't hold a charge) and I threw them out. Instead it turned out to be...the antenna came out of the rx/esc and was just hanging there!!!!!! Next bit of good news, PZ replaced it for FREE!!! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, WAY TO GO PARK ZONE!!!! Final bit of good news... I just joined AMA and I am now looking forward to the maiden of my FA 18 and more great flying with my PZ P-51 with more juice under the hood! I should have many happy flight reports back on here. I also think that Mrs. Dee III will fly much better and not try to tip stall all of the time, I think those old, tired NiMh packs were making her run too slow but the 1300 LiPo pack should really spice it up and get it back to flying on rails like my first airframe did!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Whiznr

I'm currently up to 28 consecutive successful flights on my P-51.

All I've done to it is put 2 Tower Pro SG90 servos in, a Spektrum 6100 Rx, an Electrifly C-25 brushed ESC, and run it on either 2100mAmp to 2200mAmp lipos, controlled by my Spektrum DX7 Tx. Oh yeah!! I repainted it from the stock scheme.

No issues to report yet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39992.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1033609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85563.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1033610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70887.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1033611  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
darnold

ORIGINAL: awesomeguy

If you upgrade the battery in the mustang to the lipo, it's a rocket on rails. Without the lipo it's woefully underpowered.

(sorry if this has already been said, there's too many posts to go through them all)
Here, here! I flew Miss Dee 3 yesterday with a lipo for the first time (last flight was a year ago) and she flew ON RAILS!!!!!! She literally pulled out of my hand on launch and flew with authority despite the 8-12mph wind!!! I didn't even need the 5-7 steps launch sequence into the wind to get her airborne, just one step and a GENTLE push and she was off!!! She is WAY FASTER now with the LiPo's than at anytime with the NiMh's, even when they were fresh!!!!

The rolls not only became axial but I could do them sloooowly and looping finally became a nice arc instead of a stall-flip at the top!!!! I had already been flying her inverted last year but now with the 3S 1350mah 15C LiPo pack from my F-18 she almost did an outside loop AGAINST the wind from being inverted before I rolled out of it!!! I felt like I had near complete control, even in the wind and I actually RELAXED while I was flying her because she wasn't tip stalling all over the place from the lack of power in the old, tired NiMh's that I threw away a month ago.

Of course Miss Dee 1 flew on rails also when the NiMh's were fresh, but even then it had MAJOR problems getting airborne. Thanks to all of the old guard on the original thread (plus this one early on) that helped everyone (including me) figure out a procedure for consistent launches. Back then most of us were having the plane just auguer into the ground with NO response to aileron control on launch, busting our planes up and getting frustrated. We all came to a consensus that you needed to help the PZ P-51 get some airspeed by taking 5-7 good steps to start the airflow over the wings. This band aide worked fairly consistently but take-offs were still always a nail biting experience if you were flying her stock but not anymore with the LiPo packs!!!!

Even with this launch procedure most of us experienced her dipping down before gaining enough airspeed to climb out, and this was when the NiMh packs were still relatively good with only 15 flights on them (I had two packs)! We all pretty much found that those crappy packs only give decent voltage for about 10-20 flights and then you get a noticeable loss in speed. Sometimes a change of motor helped but often nothing seemed to bring her back and you start to get tip-stalls all of the time. At that point it's more of an adventure to fly her than it is fun and I couldn't relax because I was always trying to keep her energy up and be ready for a tip stall in a turn, no matter how gentle, or she would be in a steady decent or fall-out after a roll. She just stopped being fun.

Now she is a blast again and I don't have to manage her instead of flying her. Of course all of this could have been avoided if I had just bought a LiPo for her but then I would have needed a charger also and to be honest that combination 2 years ago was going to set me back another $150. Now, I can just pick up a used 1300mah 3S 15-18C pack for $15 and I just bought the Turnigy Accucel 6 do everything charger/discharger for only $40 plus $18 shipping so the LiPo thing makes sense now for someone like me whose main hobbies are rc car racing on the national level and recreational golf. Of course it helps that the same pack that my new EDF F-18 uses are useable in my Miss Dee 3.

Side not: The new rx/esc unit that Horizon sent me worked flawlessly, without the hint of a radio hit...of course it helps that the antenna stayed soldered to the board. LOL!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
jgreenman

In relation to the Ultrafly P-51 Mustang, I completed this model and am trying to keep the flying weight at < 22.5 ounces(650g) as cautiuoned by Ultrafly. However, there is no way that this model balances at that weight using a 3 cell LIPO pack. I will have to do major surgery on the front end of the fuse to open up a new area to conatin the battery to even come close to balancing this thing. Very frustrated. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.
Joel G.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
mcfast

How do you remove the spinner ? on a ParkZone Mustang
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
GLbiggles

I pop the front half off with a thin bladed screwdriver, then the shaft fixing is accessible.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Sinai

I come in really slow and let it tip stall, cartwheeling in on touchdown. The spinner comes right off -along with the broken prop too. All i got to do is find all the yellow pieces of plastic, glue 'em back together and it's almost good as new! lol

Actually I remove my spinner with a micro flat head too, or carefully with an exacto knife. It's hard to do!Maybe somebody has another way to do it on theirs, but the Mustang and Spitfire Spinnersdon't have an easy access without poking and gouging at theseam with something tiny

Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
mad web tv scientist

Gentlemen, the key to spinner cap removal is to squeeze the back of the spinner and then very little effort with the fingernails is required. The earlier GUNFIGHTER caps required a drop of CA glue to keep them on. The latest versions of spinners seem tight enough to not need the "tack glue" but I use it anyway.

Try the "squeeze and pry" system. It works for me even after using tack glue.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Reviving this blast from the past...I crunched the front of my Ferocious Frankie a couple of years ago. Held on to it hoping to come across a fuse and today got an email ad advertising the Gunfighter airframe.
Does anyone know if the Parkzone 'Gunfighter' fuselage would replace the 'Ferocious Frankie' fuse? Or perhaps the entire airframe?
I know the 'Gunfighter' has 'new and improved' equipment but I hate to scrap all the extra 'FF' stuff I had. Props, gearboxes, etc..