Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Put that J-3 Cub to the test!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 AM
ParrotheadMuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put that J-3 Cub to the test!

Hi all,
For any of you guys who fly the Parkzone J-3 Cub and are wondering what it can do, don't read other posts on it, find out for yourself. Yesterday I had one of the most enjoyable flights with this bird I have had yet. I got very high (it was calm) and just got crazy with it. This little plane is a blast and given enough altitude, it can do some really neat things. Getting high in the air (in my opinion) is the key to finding out what any plane is capable of. It performs really well on low (crop dusting) passes to. But if you want to put it to the test, get high in the air and let her rip!
For any new flyers out there, altitude is your friend. With a Piper Cub, you can try things, and if they don't work for you, given enough room, they will correct themselves for the most part and you can straighten them out very easily. Flying too low is your ticket to a smashed plane. I hope this may help any new flyers out there. When I started, I wondered how to do this, and how to do that. Well, I just started flying pretty high (plenty of room for error) and tried it. The cub being a high wing plane will correct itself given enough room. Plus, you can learn all kinds of tricks that you may have never thought you could make a plane do. Try it, it's a blast.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:11 PM
flyerboi

Default RE: Put that J-3 Cub to the test!

hi

I cant fly but brought one of these a couple of weeks back and took it out on a day which
was too windy, i trashed it badly, only the electricks survived ( except the motor which hast a bent shaft )

I have all the replacement parts now to rebuiild it and ill have it ready hopefully tuesday
and im really looking forward to learning to fly with it

can you sugest and tips for setting it up ?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:17 PM
ParrotheadMuddy

Well, one tip I can say may work for you is to start with a cheap 2 channel trainer to get the jitters out. I started with a cub and didn't do very well with it at first. A guy at a local hobby shop suggested a 49.00 2 channel trainer (cosmic flyer) and I bought it before I destroyed my cub. After several flights with the trainer the cub was a snap to fly, it was money well spent and it saved me a lot of frustration and money in repairs. The Parkzone j-3 looks easy to fly, and it is when you get the basics of flying down, but it's not the best choice for first time flyers.
As for setting it up, I like the way Parkzone set this one up, it flys very well stock. The only thing I have recently done is to change to a GWS 9x7 prop and it just seems to perform better.
Best of luck to you and remember, there is no shame in starting with an inexpensive trainer to learn on. They are pretty tough and can take a heck of a lot of abuse.

"Air Margaritaville, Live slow, Fly Fast"
Old 05-29-2005, 07:59 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ParrotheadMuddy,

I've been using a GWS 9070 prop also so I can fly it under windier conditions. Lots more power and better control on takeoffs and landings. However, flight time has been reduced by 2 to 3 minutes on a fully charged battery. Also, I have burnt up two motors so far after about 20 flights on each.

I've changed to a GWS 9047 prop and, although I don't get the same results as with the 9070, it is still better than the stock prop.
Also, flying time is almost the same as with the stock prop.

Have you had any problems burning out the motor with the 9070 prop?

Jmir

Old 05-30-2005, 11:38 PM
PMDrive1061

I didn't burn out a motor, but the extra torque of the 9070 overheated my stocker and melted a properly lubed gearbox. I'm flying a 9x4.7 E-Flite and it works beautifully. On Saturday, I tried one on a bone-stock Cub the store that I shop at uses as a display model during the week. The store owner brought it out with his new P-51 and really hammered Stryker. Some old hands with some really NICE birds were very impressed with the way that Cub flew. With a Venom Fireball 370 swinging that prop...look out! It ROG's a LOT easier. You also get nearly all the run time of the stock combo, incredible climb rates and no overheating. Overall performance is comparable to the 9x7. Best of all, they're more durable than the GWS props and less than half the price of the stock prop! A pair retails for US$3.19. Part number is EFLP0947.