Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What plane to get? Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
typhoon036

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane to get? Please

Hello all, new to RC Planes but not RC in general raced cars for years. I have a total of 15 mins. of stick time between 2 hobbyzone fighterbirds. 2 because 1 is my brothers and second was mine before my plane lost a tail midflight and was totaled upon impact. Been reading these forums for couple days and I either missed it or am too lazy to go back further than I have so I apoligize if you pilots have already answered this question. I want to stay electric since I have a charger etc. and parkflyer type aircraft - I have several very roomy parks close by football field, four ball diamonds butted together etc. The posts I have found where older with so many RTF coming out was curious what the consensous is now. Would like to stay with hobbyzone or parkzone my LHS carries those brands spare parts. LHS pilots has no experience with electrics so he was unable to give me good info. Thanks for you input help in advance happy flying
Typhoon036
Old 06-04-2005, 04:53 PM
bigB

Default RE: What plane to get? Please

I would recommend the Aerobird Challenger. So far I have about 20hrs flying time on it, and it is a blast. It will serve as a good beginning park flyer for you, and the x-port addons make it even more fun. Just remember to reinforce the motor mount before your first flight.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:27 PM
typhoon036

reinforce the motor mount? motor in encased in the fuselage isnt it? is there a thread for this bird? Thanks for the input.
Typhoon
Old 06-04-2005, 10:15 PM
zachj1212

DO NOT GET THE AEROBIRD!!!!! I had it, and it was the hardest plane that i ever flew, And i am now dealing with 4 channel corsairs, ext. The airplane is tataly unpridictable, and is not fun to fly, because you have NO IDIA WHAT IT IS GOING TO DO NEXT. It will take no wind, either.

Please start with The Arf Planes. THis mean ALMOST READY TO FLY. you buy a radio, and you can use that radio, alone with the servoes, reciverr, ect in any plane. i would recomend the following items.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=JRP4487**

This is a good 4 channell radio, meaning, you can have all flight controlls; rudder, elevator, throttle, ailrons. IT comes with 2 micro servoes, and a micro reciver.

I recomend the E-STARTER. a great 4 channel beginning airplane.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod..._e-starter.htm

I have 2 flying friends that have this plane, and it looks great! Flys even better!

I hope this helps, and please reply if you have any questionS!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Wingman1331

Mmmmmmm i would go with the aerobird/challenger suggedstion. It seams the best for learning. If you have a lag field though, and want a little bit of a challange...go for the f-27 stryker. Very nice plane... i learned to fly in about a month with it... and the cool thing is, once you have mastered flying that you can fly ANY parkzone/hobbyzone plane there is. And... i wouldnt go with a 4 channel system to start off learn on a 3 and then if you want to move up to 4 channel you can do so.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:01 AM
typhoon036

Thanks for the input I did find some other info. on a T-hawk I found on another thread I will have to research. I like the idea with the T-hawk all radio gear is serviceable as opposed to aerobird type airframe with integrated electronics. Thats nice that one could take the guts out of the t-hawk and put it in another fuselage. If there are any other ideas I would appreciate them thanks
Typhoon036
Old 06-05-2005, 09:19 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I'm a beginner. I started with a cheap 2-channel Vortex (stick with wings!) that I crashed many times -- still flies!! Then, moved on to a three-channel, Art-Tech Cessna 182. A very easy to fly airplane and it looks great. You just have to make sure you fly it on a calm day until you get the feel for it. Afterwards, you can move to windier days (up to 10 mph). Parts are widely available at reasonable prices. You can buy the 4-channel unit and order a 3-channel wing. Once you master the 3-channels, then put on the 4-channel wing and it becomes a different airplane.

I also own a Parkzone J-3 Cub. Did not like this one as well until I read about needed upgrades in these forums. I upgraded the motor, used a different propeller, added bigger foam wheels and reinforced the fuselage. This plane is now a blast to fly with all that added power.

Hope the above helps.

JMir

Old 06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
zachj1212

I would not recomend that you get an RTF. You should also start with 3 or 4 channels. If you are looking for a cheeper, eisier plane to fly than the e -starter, check out the slow stik. many people have learned to fly with this plane,

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...ow%20stick.htm
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
theHarpmanDan

hello,
The best type of plane to get? An epp flying wing of any size.Why? Because a flying wing works in adverse weather conditions, and allows you to fly on any dry day. ANY DRY DAY. If anything the wind is more fun than a calm day with the right wing. It is much like surfing and kite flying combined. And by the way, I learned on a flying wing. They are easier to fly than the typical "trainer", because they are less effected by gusts of wind, and far more controllable, and aerobatic. Plus most wings you can take the motor off and have a very efficient slope glider

If it is too windy to fly your airplane, break out your wing.

theharpmandan
Old 06-05-2005, 07:18 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Get the GP 1/3 scale GeeBee and convert it to electric.