Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Almost lost E-Starter due to bad motor!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Almost lost E-Starter due to bad motor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost lost E-Starter due to bad motor!

I know those can motors don't last forever, but I almost lost my plane today.

I had minimal control of the plane. The airplane gods weren't ready to take this one yet as it somehow got level 3 feet off the ground and flew pretty well full throttle into one of those orange plastic temporary construction fences. The prop wasn't stressed, the prop shaft just a hair bent, and the cowl unscathed. The only damage were a few scratches on the top of the wing and a pencil-end sized poke in the leading edge.

At home, I found the motor was definitely toast. The motor must have been creating some serious interference or just the heavy amp draw was giving intermittent control. I'm just lucky the motor didn't short out completely as it took me a while to get to the plane. My battery could have blown my esc in a shorted situation. Lordy! What if this happened to a LiPo! [X(]

The irony of this is that after a year and a half of flying I keep justifying that these can motors are cheaper than going brushless. Today I realized that an $11 motor almost cost me a kit and the rebuild time--or worse!

Estarter GWS EPC 350 C geared, 9x7 prop, 7C 1150 NiMH batteries. In One Piece.