Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips

Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
L0stS0ul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips

A lot of people have been having issues flying and launching the plane. There have been a lot of good ideas posted but they are all over tons of posts on 2 boards. Here's an attempt to consolidate them all into one pre-flight checklist for the P-51. So many people have contributed these items that I won't be able to name them all or try. You know who you all are

[hr]
Items to check before going out to the field:

1. Canopy coming off.
Drop some hot glue or any glue on the tabs inside the fuse should fix that.

2. Aileron tube coming unglued near the servo.
One solution if you have this problem is to reglue it in. I had this problem on my first wing but I took it back to the hobby shop. My hobbyshop exchanged the wing and as a precaution I used some glue on the new one to just make sure that this would not happen again in flight.

3. Check the aileron wires for corrosion
[ul][*]Be aware that that the wires for the ailerons can corrode over time and should be checked and lubed. Lube them now with a graphite or other lube that should protect the wires. [*]If the wires do corrode, replace them with a guitar wire. The guitar wire has a higher nickel content and is more resistant to corrosion. The ultimate replacement would be stainless steel wire if you can find it.
[/ul]

4. Glue the tail in.
They say that the tape works but after my first flight I noticed that the included tape did not hold the tail on well. I used plain old elmers white glue to hold the tail on better. Elmers white glue works great if you want to be able to take the tail apart if you needed to.

5. Check the engine out.
[ul][*]Check the screws that hold the gearbox in, to make sure they are not loose. [*]Check the 2 screws that hold the motor on the gearbox to make sure these are not loose. Might want to use some loctite to keep the screws in place here.[*]Tighten the prop nut on, to be sure prop doesn't come off in flight.[*]Optional: Lube the gears in the gearbox, to be sure they are not binding.
[/ul]

6. Check the ailerons to be sure they are hooked up correctly, and don't loosen in flight.
The tighter the better. The last thing you want is the aileron rod to slip on that screw. Check the settings according to the manual.[ul][*]a. Optional: add washout to ailerons : set your ailerons up so the trailing edge of the upper part of the aileron is 3/64" to 1/8" above the surface of the wing at the TE.
[/ul]

7. Tape or rubber band the battery hatch.
I use a rubber band from the parkzone Cub wing around the body and you can't see it in flight and I've not had a battery eject yet (knock on wood). There has been a suggestion to drill 2 small holes on either side of the battery hatch and insert 2 small screws and ca them in. Then you can put a rubber band around just those 2 screws to hold the battery cover in.

8. Check the RX to make sure the wing screws are not going into the circuitry.
I found that on my plane the wing screws were digging into the RX. I now have the RX velcro'd to the right side of the fuselage. This also gave me a lot more battery lead and I no longer have issues attaching the battery. I have not seen any change in flight characteristics from moving the RX to this spot.

9. Insert a piece of foam in with the battery to keep it from moving around in the battery compartment.

10. If you want to check the Center of Gravity for the plane it's located 70 mm from the leading edge on the wing
To test:
[ul][*]Measure back 70 mm, on each side of the wing, close to the fuselage[*]Put your battery in the plane[*]With a finger on each mark of 70 mm, the bird should sit level, balanced on your fingers[*]If one end drops its heavy on that end. I would suggest it being slightly nose heavy, for better performance. To fix the Center Of Gravity you can use anything from clay to moving around the electronics.
[/ul]

[hr]
Launching the plane: (most of these from ScottieJay)

1. Be a competent pilot! If you have not flown at least the J-3 cub or similar plane and are good at it then step away now!!!

2. If you are a new pilot you should launch on low rates to minimize possiblity of a tip stall at launch.

3. Add a touch of up trim before launch. (I generally use full up trim and retrim once in the air.)

4. Aim at a spot about 100 yards in front of you and into the wind

5. PZ says use full throttle to launch.
If you want to throw the plane harder you can use 3/4 throttle.

6. Take three steps or more and toss....don't just throw, help the plane to flying speed.
Always throw it harder than you think you need to. I can usually tell when it's a good time to let go of the plane because I can feel it starting to lift out of my hand. If you do not feel it wanting to lift out of your hand do not let go of the plane.

7. Keep the plane as level as possible when you toss it.

8. It is important to make sure that the plane gets speed before you start to control it.
After launching the plane it should be heading skyward on it's own. Only minor stick movements until you are at least 100 feet up. I'd say a lot of the crashes are probably due to people trying to over control the plane before it's up to speed.
[hr]
Landing the plane:

1. Land in a soft spot, nose high to prevent snapping off the prop and tearing up the belly.
[ul][*]High grass is great if you can find it. [*]Otherwise get the plane low and continue to drop power until it starts to fall. Then at around 6 -12 inches off the ground flare it right before it touches down. You need a lot of room to do this until you get good at it. It's fun to practice this at 100-200 feet before the actual landing.
[/ul]

[hr]
Tips:

Buy some spare props. Even the best pilot will sometimes break prop when landing a belly flopper.

Please add to this. I think I've gotten all the tips that I've seen. I know that these have all worked for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips

I inserted a piece of foam rubber in between the battery and the battery door to keep the battery from flopping around inside the fuse durring inverted flight.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM
scooterjay350

got two good flights in this afternoon. i've gone to full throttle launches, slight up trim, three steps and throw. it just flies away from me with the wings level now....nothing like some of the videos i've seen. don't throw up! throw at the imaginary spot 100 yards in front of you and you will be fine! i did break the tab on my battery hatch today....came in super hot and the hatch tab caught a rock hidden in the gradd and sheared it off. the hatch still works fine. i'm going to make a new one out of thin phenolic with a cam type latch...i'll post a pic when done. oh, one more thing....don't let it get too far away! hard to tell which end is up at a distance. i was flying the old AMA turnaround pattern with it today and made a turnaround about 250 yards upwind (split s). the dark upper half of the fuse blends in with rain swollen clouds nicely! i started making my turnarounds a little closer. there was a kid riding a mini crotch rocket pocket bike up and down the soccer fields....we had fun racing each other. i'd blow past him at about 75' altitude each pass. his little bike will run about 30 mph max and i was passing him like he was still! i'm guessing that on downwind my ground speed was above 50 mph. god, i love this plane!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 PM
GravityTester
My Feedback: (25)

I have a question. how hard are you throwing it? cause I have had launching trouble because I'm not getting enough airspeed built up. I have to give mine a pretty hefty toss you guys doing the same?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Safety Hawk

Like Scooter said, give it a little up trim for launch, and then give it a pretty good toss into the wind. I'm not talking a Peyton Manning 60 yard bomb, but a good toss. This usually gets it up in the air. Sometimes it'll dip close to the ground before it starts to climb, but usually it will start to climb immediately. Also, do you have your controller set for high or low? Setting it for high will improve the effect of the elevator on take off.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:17 PM
L0stS0ul

I generally do 3 good steps then a nice firm toss. I try to be smooth but accurate. The tip about aiming 100 yards in front is a good one cause the plane will always climb faster than where you point it. I'd say toss it harder than you think you need to just to be safe. The important thing is to make sure it's a controlled toss. You want the wings to leave your hand as level as possible.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
CrashSwiftly

SECURE THAT BATTERY COVER!!!!

crash
Old 06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
mdelling

The first (and only so far) landing was a little rough, at about 6 feet altitude I starting cutting back the throttle and it suddenly nosed in hard, fortunately into tall grass, so only minor damage though the battery hatch came off and I didn't notice until much later and I couldn't remember exactly where it came down, oh well.

So I need some tips on landing, should i give it a little up elevator as I cut throttle to keep the nose up or will that just make it more prone to a tip stall?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 PM
L0stS0ul

I've been waiting longer and longer to cut the throttle for landing. At the slow speed it seems that cutting the throttle when the plane is more than say 6 inches above the ground just causes it to stall and nose into the ground. I've not yet broken a prop (knock on wood) but it seems that the longer you go giving it power the better you are. Slow and steady.

I have found that my best landings happen when I have horrible launches. My worst landings are when I have great launches. Go figure lol.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
L0stS0ul

Make sure you have a large enough area to fly the plane in!

I took my cub up yesterday and was flying around a new field I had never flown in before. More trees than I am used to and more rectangular. The cub had no problems so I decided to take the p-51 up. Just about the second the plane left my hand I knew that I was in for it. The plane was eating up ground like crazy. Before I knew it I was banking it really hard trying to keep it in the area. At one point I lost sight of it behind some trees but luckily I knew the area well enough that if I kept it pointed where it was going it would come back out with no issues. The plane came back around and I got it into a landing pattern. At this point I'm freaking. No way I'm going to try another pass due to the small area. I get the plane down but not fast enough. At about 6 inches off the ground there was a tree that cracked the wing in half. Amazingly that's the only damage but thinking back now I should have nosed her in and broke the prop. It would have been cheaper lol.

I'd say this is my first real crash. Could have been a lot worse. Cant believe that the only damage is the wing.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:30 PM
L0stS0ul

As I await the new wing I took the time to go over the plane in detail. I pulled apart the gearbox and made sure everything was lubed up. Even though I originally tightened the screws for the gearbox they were loose again. This was after about 8 flights on the plane. Might want to check the gearbox from time to time.

I also found something that bothered me a bit. The RX is tie wrapped to the same spar that the wing is screwed into. Well looking at my RX I noticed that there was a hole in the outside cardboard. I pulled the RX out and checked it over. No damage as far as I can tell but I am a little conserned that the RX had a screw in it during one of my flights. Needless to say it's no longer tie wrapped to the spar. I got out my velcro and attached it to the right side. As a bonus I even have more battery cable now to play with. Maybe this will help the left rotation the plane likes to have.

Anyway check that RX postion and if you tighten the screws down good you might have the screws going into the RX.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:27 AM
mdelling

good points to keep in mind, thanks

As far as space is concerned, can't you just keep it well above trees until its time to land?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:14 PM
L0stS0ul

These are rather large trees and from the angle I was at it's hard to get a good feel for where the plane is in relation. Normally I would keep it above the trees. There was also a much stronger wind above the trees than there was down on the ground. That strong wind was initially what lead to the loss of sight of the plane. Caused it to stall out and start loosing altitude. Overall just a way to small of a space to fly in.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:19 AM
L0stS0ul

An option for holding the battery cover on...

Drill 2 small screws on either side of the battery hatch. Insert 2 small screws and CA the screws into place. Now put a rubber band around the screws to hold the hatch down.

This has been suggested by av8ersteve
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
L0stS0ul

Added items by The Marsh Man:

1. Be aware that that the wires for the ailerons can corrode over time and should be checked and lubed. Lube them now with a graphite or other lube that should protect the wires.

2. If the wires do corrode, replace them with a guitar wire. The guitar wire has a higher nickel content and is more resistant to corrosion. The ultimate replacement would be stainless steel wire if you can find it.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
L0stS0ul

Also added in some more launch tips for a successful launch and the Center Of Gravity (CG) information for the plane. Thanks to Miklos for that information
Old 07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Has anyone tried retiming the motors, like we used to do on the stock motored Strykers?
To get a little more out of them?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Has anyone tried retiming the motors, like we used to do on the stock motored Strykers?
To get a little more out of them?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:17 AM
Pyrock

Has anyone tried making one from parts and putting a brushless setup into it? I just finished doing just that and was wondering what to expect prior to the maiden. I just finished putting in the following:

Himax 2025-5300 (Mounted on a stick mount that runs the length of the fuse)[:'(]
5.33 gears
E-Flight 10x7 prop
TP 3S 2100
CC Pheonix 25 ESC
Naro Servos
CG set at 70mm from leading edge closest to fuse as recommended in an earlier post.
AUW = 25.6 oz. (I believe stock is 29 oz.)

What should I expect? I dont think I'll have to throw it as hard as a stock bird because static tests indicate that it wants to fly out of my hand at 1/2-3/4 throttle. 3/4 throttle while holding it vertical shows that it will hover at full throttle with it wanting to torque to the right in a BIG way.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Safety Hawk

I haven't tried this yet, I would like to. What gearbox did you use?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:44 PM
L0stS0ul

Added in a new issue:

Cosmetic Issues:

1. Drill small holes in the canopy. Flying in sunny areas can heat up inside the canopy. This will cause the paint skin to bubble and deform. Create some means to allow the hot air to escape. I noticed it on my plane after 45 flights.

2. Fill the area infront of the battery bay and behind the firewall with Great Stuff spray foam from the hardware store. This will beef up this area and help keep it from getting creases over time from the landings. Creases can show up from normal landings not just crashes.

*** Edit ***
Funny I can't edit the main topic anymore. Oh well
Old 09-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Zombie512

This is only the second parkflyer i have flown and i must say, I love it. I always have had a soft spot for the Mustang. Hope they come out with a corsair version. The P47 thats coming out in Oct. looks promissing. I have a simple solution to the battery door issue. I just cut strip of plastic soda bottle almost as wide as the battery door. Slip it under the cowling and over the latch then with a small cut out of the center you can tuck the end into the first slots of the battery door. Have not lost a door since. it looks kind of like this.
-----------------------------------------------
- -
- -------------
- -
- -------------
- -
-----------------------------------------------
Old 09-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Zombie512

Well that cheesy drawing didn't come out like I thought it would, sorry. I took a pic of my battery door saver, it in my gallery.
p.s. its just a demo cut from paper for clarity.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Zombie512

Well that cheesy drawing didn't come out like I thought it would, sorry. I took a pic of my battery door saver, it in my gallery.
p.s. its just a demo cut from paper for clarity.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 PM
L0stS0ul

With all the people having issues launching the plane I decided to videotape the way I launch it. Quality is kinda bad but it shows all the important parts. I'm well over 40 flights on my plane now and it still flies like new. I love this plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.