Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GWS Tiger Moth 400 on floats follow up

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Tiger Moth 400 on floats follow up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Tiger Moth 400 on floats follow up

I took the TM-400 back to the lake today. The wind was blowing 10 mph and gusting to more. I had rerigged the spreader bars between the floats and put 3/32" collars on the axles. I also added a water rudder to the model so as to make it possible to taxi it across a stiff breeze. The WR is a simple add-on, using materials in the original kit. Anyone who wants to see how it's done, let me know; I'll post some pics.

Anyhoo, I flew her off into the wind, did loops and rolls, (not axial rolls, she falls out) and landed her. Was able to taxi her across the wind at high speed, just under flying speed. She wants to weathervane at low speeds because she weighs so little. However, when you get her close to the boat ramp, you can restart the motor in order to get it just right! Wonderful! You can stop and restart the motor when you need to!!

I have a digital camera, can post pics of my setup if anyone cares. Noone has been interested in my previous posts on this subject. Let me know.

CR

Old 06-13-2005, 06:14 PM
P51ACE

Default RE: GWS Tiger Moth 400 on floats follow up

hey thats cool i put my estarter on floats kinda funny cuz im farrrrrr past that plane(can do most 3d manuvers and IMAC stuff) but ne ways yeah the floats need some reinforcement like u said i have a bad story to go with that

about 2 weeks ago i set my estarter on floats up w/ the park400 and himax gearbox and added ailerons wwell i decided to take it to a e-fly-in and noo one thought i would rog off the grass but i did very successfully and flew around a few times to test the ail. they worked okay but i still had to add a lil rudder to turn level and scale so neways im flying along and WHAM the back of the floats falls out and hits the prop causing the shaft break of and go flying all of a sudden the cg was thrown off and i had a ok landing but that took a chunk out of each float but when it was flying it was cool
id like to see how u did ur wr and pics
Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM
thebackroads

I'd like to see it. I've been thinking about a TM400 lately as I just like the looks of it. We have a 3 acre pond & I was thinking it would be nice to have a nice lil plane with floats, and the rudder you mention seems like an excellent idea. I'd like to see how it's set up & even a video if you can of it taking off & landing, taxiing around.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Charley

Sorry guys, I've yet to figure out how to upload the pics. Heven't had time to get on the practice msg forum. I'll try to make time tonight

CR
Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Charley

OK Guys,

Here are pics (I hope) of the entire model and a close up of the water rudder installation. What I did on the water rudder is to cut a groove in the flight rudder and epoxied the wire into the groove. The wire is tied to the tailwheel strut with nylon thread and glued with cya. There's an "L" bend at the bottom of the wire with a piece of scrap plastic from the float kit cya'd on to it. I cut the plastic oversize so I could have flanges bent around the wire and cya glued plastic-to-plastic. It's kind of a Rube Goldberg arrangement but it works.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31730.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	286062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68743.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	286063  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Elvis B
My Feedback: (9)

I like how you did your rudder, I am thinking about putting gws floats on a plane and i was wondering if you could tell how long they were.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: 4d flyer

I like how you did your rudder, I am thinking about putting gws floats on a plane and i was wondering if you could tell how long they were.
The floats are a bit less than 21" long. They float the TM-400 beautifully, with lots of freeboard. I'm sure they can float a plane that weighs several ounces more.

One word of warning: the GWS float kit is intended for the GWS Beaver, which is smaller than the TM, so the kit contains struts for the Beaver. While these struts provide enough vertical clearance for the 10x6 TM-400 prop, they don't spread the floats far enough apart for good lateral stability. If there's any breeze at all the plane tends to tip over when it's taxied crosswind. I have the floats off of the 'Moth now. PLan to bend up another LG strut similar to the stock TM-400 strut (anyone got one they want to mail to me?) and then rebend both to spread the floats out as far as possible, while leaving, say 3/8" clearance, for the prop. I'm probably going to increase the area of the water rudder and play with the CG too.

Thanks for the interest,

Cheers,

CR

Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Elvis B
My Feedback: (9)

well I put those gws floats on my pico stick and they sure do look goofy, floats are 21 inches long and the plane is 27 inches long, but I went out to fly it and it flew great. But I am running a 45 turn brushless motor on a 3 cell lithium and it has plenty of power. I will try to get some pics to soon.