Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Replacing Slo V Fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 PM
BILLPAYPML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Slo V Fuselage

I have had my Slo V for about 2 weeks and I wish I had found this forum earlier. As an eager newbie I took my Slo V out with too much wind. As a result I must now replace the fuselage. I bought my replacement part and examined what I needed to do and think I have it figured out except I am unsure how to disconnect the red and black wires from the servo. There is a plastic sleeve covering what I think are connectors but don't really know how to disconnect them. How do I get the plastic sleeve off - Then do the wires just pull apart ?

Any help would be appreciated !!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
DanAt2ndStory
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Replacing Slo V Fuselage

Hey,

I'm no pro, but had to swap my fuselage recently due to a careless previous owner. I did it in this order:

1. Remove font & rear wheels/wires
2. Remove wings
3. Disconnect motor from Speed Control by pulling insulated connectors apart
4. Remove prop
5. Remove c-ring & drive shaft
6. Remove motor
7. Unmount servos
8. Remove speed control (servos intact) and antenna
9. Remove control rods carefully

Install in reverse order on new fuselage.

Questions?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 PM
BILLPAYPML

Ok - Now I see how the wires disconnect and I was abled to do it. Now I am sort of stuck again. In step 5 above you mentioned that I should remove the C clip. Can you explain a little more about that. I took out the screws holding the motor in - but the drive shaft is still in. Is the C clip located toward the front or rear of the plane ? What is the best way to get it off and what kind of tool would I need?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 AM
bass305central

I can help! I've done it lots for myself and roomate - we don't suck at flying, just try many spectacular close to the ground stunts. (that sometime end in fantastic crashes)

The c-clip looks like a silver washer at the rear of the gearbox, with one side missing. Not to be blunt, but it looks like a "C"!!!
I usually push the driveshaft back to make slack and grab it with a tiny pair of needle nose pliers.

Of course if you are changing your fuselage, you must have made much contact with the earth! The driveshaft gets bent quite easily on nose in crashes - espescially if you panic and forget to shut off the throttle before contact. If you always shut the motor off before hitting the ground you will break far less props and bend less driveshafts (burn out less esc's, etc.) If that driveshaft is bent just a little, it will suck the current - short flights with less power, motor, esc, and batteries burn out way faster, everything wears out faster and the whole plane shakes - which seems to cause radio interference. (it also makes bad sounds) You can only bend it back so many times before it is soft as a noodle and bends on a rough landing. Keep several extra driveshafts ($3.00each) If you are new, you might not know that these planes servos are quite fragile. I fallen out of the sky right onto the tail, which jerks the servo and breaks a few miniature teeth on a miniature gear. Which means you cannot control your plane.(Unless you are crazy as me!) ASk your hobby shop to order you a bunch of backup gearsets for like $3.00 each. They never sem to stock them. I think they want to sel you the $10.00 servo.

If you already know this - then great! If not, beware that vibration is the bane of anything mechanical! Balance your prop! Let me know if you need info. I have never seen a balanced slo-v prop! always way off.

Did you buy a new fuse or make your own? THe replacement is cheap and very convenient, but if you want an easy money saver make your own fuse out of spruce.(I think thats what I bought? maybe basswood?) not balsa!!!

There is no standard size of spruce to match the slo-v carbon fuse, so I bought a slightly smaller square spruce and 2 shims. I've glued them with CA, white glue, and super 77 - all fit tightly in the stock parts. It cost under $3.00 and takes 20 min.
It is very close in weight, I have noticed no difference in climbing or other performance. It seems a tiny bit more flimsy, but I've never broken one yet. Cheap to keep extras. *One catch! * since it is slightly heavier, you will now be tail heavy - bad for a beginner or anybody! So screw the battery mount about 1/4 to 1/2" forward of the factory location.

If you did take off your servos, remember they plug into the opposite side of the plane. Meaning left servo/right slot, vice versa.
Understand?

Before you fly, test the controls on the ground. I believe the manual shows how the flaps shoud move.

Have fun, and good flying!

Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM
highpines

Beware of the Slo-V c clamp from hell! Beleive me I know.....it is very tiny. Not long ago before I wasn't crashing every flight I went thru at least 6 prop shafts and had to deal with replacing it. A frienfd helped me figure it out..........When removig it.....use an exacto knife to pry it off but first stick the nose of the fuselage into a paper bag so the bag will catch it. Same goes for putting a new one on....stick the nose in a bag or something and use needle nose to put it on cause it will disapear in the flash of an eye............................
Old 06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
BILLPAYPML

Thanks to everyone for their help ! It will be a few days before I have time to try out everyone's tips. I will report back on success or failure.