Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Different batteries for the F-27 Stryker

Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 AM
noname23

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Different batteries for the F-27 Stryker

I'm looking for a high mAh battery for my stryker. Has anyone tried these?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBM7&P=0

If I change the connector can I use this with the stock parkzone charger?
It looks like this pack will fit into the 2nd gen stryker fuse without cutting any foam.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM
critterhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Different batteries for the F-27 Stryker

Those are Sub Cs. The cells in a Stryker/Challenger are sub As and quite a bit smaller. Those cells won't fit and/or will be too much weight. Check out batteryspace.com for the "firebird" 7 cell 8.4v sub A packs. They are 1100ma and you get TWO for only $19 plus like $5 shipping. They feature the stock connector and the pack is of great quality. I have to of these packs and run them in the Stryker and Challenger and plan to order a few more. They give her more zip and run time and you can't beat the price. Powerizer (brand name on cells) is one of the top names in batteries. Now, if you want higher MA in sub As (same size packs) I believe there are now 1400ma and 1800MA packs out there, but the price is still high as they are new. I'd be interested in a source though if anybody has one at a decent price.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:33 PM
nitrojunk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GP1100's from Cheapbatterpacks.com .. These are the BEST cells you can get.. Distarge rate up to 30amps
Old 07-09-2005, 09:47 AM
sjchmura

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a stryker as a gift with an 8-cell "stock" looking 2nd battery. The 8 cell definitely has more power.

Any of the above mentioned companies have 8-cell packs/?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1237

This should be 8 cell and have the correct connector - right?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 AM
critterhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Stryker comes with a 7 cell, but you can buy an 8 cell for it. From all I've read the 8 cell isn't worth the extra weight, heats things up more, and doesn't give you a real speed increase that you can notice. Most people stay away from the 8 for it. The weight to power ratio is almost a wash.

On the other hand, going with 1100ma batteries like those at batteryspace.com will give you more run time AND a power increase. Even though that are only 7 cell like the stock pack they can deliever more amps with less resistance to the motor if I understand things correctly. Either way, I know they give her more zip.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Maine_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

packs they had when I bought them were outstanding. I was buying the 2 fer $20 deals and making 9-10cell packs with them-- very good cells .. if I remember right, the cells were black in color.. the 8 cell packs I bought from them didn't have near the discharge rate that the 7 cell packs had.. melted the shrink wrap right off 'em... the cells were a blue color and were not the same cell

the black ones had a 15C disharge, the others were lucky to be 10C ...
Old 07-10-2005, 12:28 AM
hornetnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive flown the 2 for $20 1100mah packs you guys are referring to serveral times....I noticed no improvement in speed or flight time from stock battery. Granted Ive never flown with the stopwatch running, but still. The 900mah 8cell I bought awhile though, gives me much nicer performace/speed/climb rate.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:54 AM
critterhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got several "stock" 900ma 7 cell packs and have compared them to the two for $20 1100ma 7 cell packs. The 1100ma packs win hands down. More power/speed/run time. When you first buy these packs (or any pack for that matter) charge them at around 100ma which is going to take like 10 or 11 hourse until they peak. After that you can charge them at .9 amps for a "fast" and normal charge in the field. The company recommends .9 amps as a normal charge and anything higher can cause harm over time. Really, even though the Parkzone charge goes up to 1.2 amps the 900ma stock pack should only be charged at .9 amps. It's better for the life and performance of the pack. After that, every 20 or 30 charges or so drain the pack down and do another 100ma slow charge. Remember too that Nihms get better after 5 or 10 charges so that might be why you didn't see a performance increase in the packs. Either that or you used a junk charger like the stock ones which could have false peaked them. Anybody want to get the most performance out of their packs should buy a good charger. I recommend the Pirahna Digital Peak charger for around $50. It will make your packs rock.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM
hornetnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Odd...

Im not using the PZ charger..realized that was junk when i opened the box. Currently im using a Hobbico quick field charger MkII. I still swear I cant tell any diff between the 7cell 900mah pack and the 1100mah packs...but I will try a slow .2mah charge next time I fly em.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Bullwhip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Critterhunter is right on regarding the initial "Forming" of the cell pack by charging at a relatively low level. It will make a differance and is recommended by many of the battery Gurus. Discharging the pack fully after about ten flights has proponents and oponents. Discharging NiMh below 1.1 volts per cell may lead to high heat buildup and long term problems.

On the issue of seven and eight cell packs there is no question that an eight cell high output pack will outperform a seven cell when properly loaded. The added wight of one 2/3A cell in a Stryker is insignificant. The performance inhancement should be worth the extra cost.

Tom
Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 PM
sjchmura

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So in summary:

1. On the "900mA" 8 Cell Parkzone "cheap" pack there is a HUGE power difference between teh standard 7-cell
2. Has anyone tried the batteryzone 8 cell (not 7-cell packs?). It is also "black" and 1100mA
Old 07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Bullwhip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SJ Chmura

Steve,
Read the posting above by Maine_Flyer. He apparently found the 8 cell packs were not the same as the 7 cell packs BatterySpace.com. The claim is the eight cell packs used a lessor quality battery.

Tom
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
sjchmura

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks! But they both claim to be 1100mA. I guess I am confused by why are "not all 1100mA the same quality". The 9.6V "blue" parkzone pack is a huge improvement over the parkzone 7 cell. So I am wondering - since the parkzone is 900mA, why would these not be at least "better".

Or is it better to get BP1100 "custom" packs???
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Bullwhip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Battery Mah or AH ratings are based on variables that include the ability to deliver an amount of current over a specified period of time. I am using the 2/3A cells as an example, but all cells share similar characteristics. One manufacturer may indicate their 1100 mah cell are 1 hour rated (1100 mah output for one hour) Another manufacturer may base the rating on multiple hours of output (550mah at two hours=1100 mah). A brand X 1100 mah 2/3A battery may only deliver at maximum load 5 or 6 amps. A Kahn 1050 2/3A will deliver as much as 3 times that amperage. The GP 1100 cells are capable of up to 30 amps. For electric R/C aircraft the one hour rate is the key to the batteries ability.

There are some good to very good brand X battery cells and assembled packs available with careful shopping. Searching this forum, rcbatteryclinics.com and rcgroups.com will provide quite a bit of information. Unfortunately, most retail sites do not list the formula for determining the cell rate. Radical R/C, MaxAmps, cheapbatterypacks.com and some of the other online companies do list the information for some of the cells to help in the choice.

Tom
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
sjchmura

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks.

So the normal Stryker 8 cell pack is 900mA 9.6V unlisted Amps
The $20 pack is 11A peak (10C), 1100mA.

Thus these should be a large improvement - correct?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM
sjchmura

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So cheapbatterypacks.com has the BP1100 that are listed between 20-30C. Thus these seem far better after reading.

For the stryker custom plug, I need the femal mini-taimani - right?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM
nitrojunk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes the mini female
Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
under_par_00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a PZ Super Decathlon. Would those packs mentioned in the 2nd post fit and work in there?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Bullwhip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve,
The correct connector (plug) is the Tamiya Mini-female. It is in the pull down menu on the cheapbatterypacks.com listing. They have it posted a bit confusing. Something like Non-Airsoft mini Tamiya female or close. The female mini-Tamiyas are good for the Stryker and similar. I prefer the Dean's Ultra and Dean's 3 pin for most applications.

Tom
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
evetsepop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took a 9-cell from my destroyed p-51, it is AWESOME! still gotta work out the weight distribution kinks, but so far I love it.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
airshot5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I checked out batteryspace.com and it's awesome. I want to buy the packs you recomended for the F-27, but I don't know if my charger will charge them. I have the origional charger that comes with the F-27 (it charges up to 1.2A) and the charger that came with my Typhoon 3D (it charges up to 1.8A). The recommended charger for these batteries charges at .6A. Does that mean that I can charge the packs with the Parkzone chargers?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
tam popo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hiya guys! There is another battery that no-one has mentioned and its a 10.8V 1000Mah - don't know the make but it looks just like the H/zone, P/zone green packs. Just like the 9.6 standard in-car charger is not too good. The way to charge to full benefits of the larger packs is obvious - trickle charge at home then charge in car at site (10 minutes or so). But don't charge with engine running (recipe for disaster). I used the 10.8V all the time, and don't worry about the extra weight. This plane can handle it and its hardly noticeable. And you don't have to reprogramme esc or pull jumper 3 (as in lipo install). Hope someone can find this battery - migh be made by JP in UK. Byeee[8D]