Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkflyers Edge 540T

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Young-RCPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkflyers Edge 540T

My Aert-Tech version also had all bad servo's which rusulted in a crash. I was wondering if anyone has used the Moter from this plane in another 3D foamy and will it work with a 2 cell Lipo because the one it came with is way to heavy. Overall I think this plane is not good at all it might be better with upgraded parts but I have given up on it.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
aenigma

Yeah they are basically junk, I haven't tried the motor on anything else because it died, among everything else in the plane.So I can't tell you how it would work.So far I have got 2 electric planes that are RTF and I regret both purchases.From now on I am getting everything seperate.And by the way the Edge isn't even close to being a 3D plane, it is laughable it has that title.It isn't even very aerobatic.Unless you count rolls and loops as being "aerobatic", but I sure don't since any plane can do that.

Definately spend your money on something else, this thing isn't worth it.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Get Real

ORIGINAL: aenigma

Yeah they are basically junk, I haven't tried the motor on anything else because it died, among everything else in the plane.So I can't tell you how it would work.So far I have got 2 electric planes that are RTF and I regret both purchases.From now on I am getting everything seperate.And by the way the Edge isn't even close to being a 3D plane, it is laughable it has that title.It isn't even very aerobatic.Unless you count rolls and loops as being "aerobatic", but I sure don't since any plane can do that.

Definately spend your money on something else, this thing isn't worth it.
could you please define what makes a plane 3D ? i think besides having the proper airframe and setup the pilot is what makes a plane 3D capable. the plane is 3D capable with a better brushless power setup. i agree it isnt as advertised/with better gear its a pretty nice plane for 3D with a good set up.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:24 AM
sal37

I have rebuilt my edge several times by puting all the stock gear into a Mini Funtana and then an E-flite ultimate Biplane. Both were great fun airplanes and wowed people in my flying club. The Ultimate is significantly lighter than the original 540 Edge . I have purchased HS-55 servos to replace 2 of the 3 stock servos. I removed the hexagonal spacer and the heat sheild from the motor to lighten it up and put on a 12x6 e-flite prop. I must have at least 150 flights on this rig and say - rebuild your edge into something new.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:14 PM
aenigma

I think that a plane being advertised as 3d should do more than loops, rolls, and inverted flight.The way it comes that is all it does, it won't even spin or do knife edge which isn't even in the realm of 3d flight yet.With all new upgraded gear it probably would fly ok.But I found it to have poor elevator control, not that it didn't have enough throw but that anything more than small corrections in pitch would cause the wings to stall.It is a very unresponsive plane.Even with more power I don't know how well it would do.Would it do waterfalls, torque rolls, harriers, elevators, high alpha knife edge and so on?Who knows, I won't spend any more money on it though.I'd rather buy a real 3d plane.The last thing we got for it was a new motor since the original died, but the new one wasn't any more powerful because we didn't want to buy a speed controller along with it.

The Edge has actually become a trainer for my dad, and it has been repaired too many times to be very aerobatic anymore.And it doesn't make a very good trainer since it stalls so abruptly, so most of his landings are it falling out of the air.
But hey it flew and it was fun for awhile.With more power and some modification to CG and all new servos and linkage it might just fly great.

sal37:
Yeah that is what I am planning on doing.I was thinking about the Ultimate but was reading some reviews and while it is a very cool plane I am going to hold it a little longer until I find something a little more aerobatic.But that Ultimate is tempting, it looks so nice.Did you find any shortcomings with it, what kind of flying do you do with it and what won't it do?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I fly an E-flite Ultimate FX and it does great. Very easy to hover and fully aerobatic. Great plane with which to learn 3D.
I also flew the regular E-flite Ultimate, but did not like all "the guts" handing out, so I went with the Ultimate FX. Looks much better.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
sal37

Aenigma,

The Ultimate is cool - really fun to fly and looks great in the air. You can fly it real slow, but it is also surprisingly fast.Its good at high alpha slow stuff, like harriers. It has no bad stall tendencies and is easy to land, except it tips over. As for problems, roll coupling is bad and as I said it tips over upon landing. It also has a weird tendenciy to roll out to the right when in a loop. Others here have noted that as well. You cant get a decent knife edge out of it.

But its easy to overlook those odd tendencies because it really flies great, looks great and is a good match for the Edge 540 guts. First flight I could not believe how awsome it flew, like it was on rails. My buddy noted that it "shows well" in the air and as jmir says, easy to hover and harriers are just effortless. Oh, one last thing, it handles wind much better than the Edge 540 or the Funtana I had. Ether that or I m getting better at this. It a good fun flyer, as I said good at high alpha goofing around and will also zoom and climb and fly inverted like nothing. I can harrier the plane right into my hand. And its really tough, much more so than the edge.

jmir - whats in your ultimate?

Sal
Old 07-27-2006, 08:57 PM
jmir

My ultimate does loops OK, both regular and inverted. But, you are right, knife edges are difficult unless I just have not learned how to do so with it.

I have the Eflite 400 outrunner motor and use an 11 X 4.7 prop for better hovering. Also added a few ounces of weight to the tail because it was nose heavy.

I can now land it without tipping over. I bring it in slowly like in a harrier. When it touches the ground I keep full elevator (I use 150%) and keep the prop going so wind keeps that tail down. It works almost 100% of the time. I've been thinking about replacing wheels with 2" light foam weels which should be better on grass.

(We should probably continue discussion on the Ultimate Forum and not take up space on the Edge 540T forum)

Old 07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
sal37

Jmir,

Can you believe the old 850kv outrunner and all my edge gear has now outlived 2 (and soon 3) planes?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
jmir

I still have an 850KV motor. Also, here is the 1000KV on "The Bob", a simple airplane they use around here for dog fights. They tie a ribbon on the tail and try to cut each other's ribbons off with the prop. Check it out:

http://media.putfile.com/BOB-21

Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 AM
aenigma

Cool might have to get the Ultimate sometime soon then.It definately is a cool looking plane.And if it does handle wind better than the Edge that is nice becuase I liked the way the Edge handled wind.In fact, that is the only thing I liked about it.
I just got a Great Planes XPD-8 that I need to get together but the next electric I get might have to be that Ultimate.I do have a thing for bi-planes now after getting a Liberty Sport.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 AM
mathewnorris22

[8D]

have been flying my edge 540 for several weeks now, and i must say its a pretty cool little plane, the only problem is that it does suffer from glitching, although im not using any stock radio gear apart from the servo's it still catches me out sometimes, never had a crach yet, my reastions are gettign pretty good now.

didi have a major problem other day though, was doing some nice loops, when the wing just off..
fortunatly the fuselage langed in some really dense undergrowth so sustained no damage at all, ( very lucky)
the wing and canopy were both fine aswell.... after doing my own crash investigation, i realised the problem.
the locator for leading edge of wing had come unstuck, so when pulling a loop this forced the locator to come off, at front edge releasing the wing. the wing did snap at rear edge, across the rear locating pin, but its all fixed now, and have flown since, have also ordered a replacement wing, from centuryuk.co.uk only £14.99 delivered in 2 days

mat
Old 08-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Greeny!

I also live in the UK & had exactly the same problem, fwd wing attachment clearly had hardly any glue on it. Once that comes away the wing is straight off breaking the portion behind the rear screw. I wasn't as lucky & the fuselage hit the ground like a laser guided bomb! If anyone has bought this plane I would recommend beefing up the foward attcahment or at least checking it has more that a a whiff of glue like mine did. Taping round the front of the hatch onto the fuse with clear duct tape is a good backup too.

Complained to the shop & they sent me a new fuse & motor. Glued the wing back together. In fact a repaired the old fuse with epoxy & clear duct tape & it's still going strong. Apart from that incident I have had it since April & love flying it. 1st plane as well, spent a long time on the computer & initially my brother used to land it, but pretty competent now. Changed the radio gear & motor for a e-flite 450 as suggested on this thread - flies superb now different plane. I think it would be easy to pull the wings off though so intend to stiffen those up with some carbon.

Really pleased with it, but I think if I had known what I know now I would have just bought an airframe & the bits separate.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
mathewnorris22

I have just spent last 2 nights reading all the info in this forum, it sure has grown since last time i posted on here.

well after much deliberation, i have decided to upgrade my art tech edge with a nicer eflight 450 stick mount, was tempted to go for the gear option, not sure if there really is much difference.? perhaps some one will inform me.?

struggled to get the nice motor mount as posted in here sometime ago by get real.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLM1915
perhaps someone could guide me to a uk distributer.

so far, have had some fun with all stock items, but now i have decided i want more, so have gone for Hitec HS55 servo and motor as above.
am sticking to 1800 Mah li-po will try new 2100's later on when done battery compartment mod.

am still having big problems with glitching, am hoping new servo & motor will sort problem, and using own receiver, so dont think its anything to do with that, hav read all other tips, nothing sorted it so far.
will be posting some pics and hopefully video of plane when i get it all sorted, thanks to all those who posted step by step pics and details wouldnt hav attempted without u guys.

laters
Old 10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
netdudeuk

I know who sells them here in the UK. I got one a week or two ago and I ordered another one today. £1.99 each plus £2.50 P & P and they are in stock. Gonna beg a little and then I'll tell you tonight where to get them from

Look at post 24 and post 25 for the evidence LOL

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4821394/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]RCU[/link]

Also, you need to choose your prop carefully as AFAIK that LiPo is only rated at 14.4 amps max. As you can see, the Park 450 can draw more than that

[link]http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5300[/link]

I can't remember what they did about the ESCs and if the stock one is rated high enough.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 AM
mathewnorris22

netdudeuk

I have a 30amp rated speed controller, im going to use this, i assue this will probably be ok
with the new 450 motor.
i would like to know what size prop you would perhaps recommend, as this will not be a geared motor, direct drive for me.!
i am thing of getting a new li-po 2100 11.1 volts, are there differences in 2100,s amp wise.?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: mathewnorris22

netdudeuk

I have a 30amp rated speed controller, im going to use this, i assue this will probably be ok
with the new 450 motor.
i would like to know what size prop you would perhaps recommend, as this will not be a geared motor, direct drive for me.!
i am thing of getting a new li-po 2100 11.1 volts, are there differences in 2100,s amp wise.?
If you go for an E-Flite Park 450 then it is designed for a continuous 14 amps and a peak (15 seconds maximum) of 18 amps.

[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM1400[/link]

The manual is linked from there and example setups are shown.

This depends on many factors including pack type, prop size, etc. You could use something like motorcalc to work out the various options but maybe Get Real will tell you what he used on his own Edge.

So, that (brushless, LiPo-aware !) ESC should be ok assuming that the BEC can support three servos on a 3S pack.

You can go for a bigger pack but it will also (more than likely) be bigger and heavier. The amount of current that can be drawn from a pack depends on it's continuous and maximum ratings. A 12C (20C burst) 2100 LiPo could deliver a 'normal' 25.2 amps and a short term peak of 42 amps. You could get a smaller LiPo with a better C rating than the stock pack (aren't they all ? ;-) ) and still be ok current-wise. Flight times would be reduced but if your pack is too heavy then you will have to either get it forward or add some weight up front., which doesn't help it to fly better.

The nearest that I have found to the much liked TP PLs in the UK are the Dual Skys at Als Hobbies. There are many other LiPos around but the cheaper ones will almost certainly be larger and heavier.

If you want the motor and that mount from one place then get it from here. I've used them three times now and they have been ok.

Mount - EFLM1915 (it wasn't on the web site until I asked them to list it so I could order one recently)
Motor - EFLM1400 (if this is the motor that you want !)

You can search for them by their codes.

[link]http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/[/link]

Don't know if they do the sticks but you can get them from here. I've had many things from them and they have been pretty good to deal with and the prices are fair.

[link]http://www.b*********.co.uk/[/link]
Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM
mathewnorris22

finally got all the parts for my upgrade, with a few annoying things to sort out, but managed to complete the install today
will be up in the air, weather permitting tomorrow trying out the new arrangement, cant wait to see how much of a change this new 450 motor mates!
am still having problems with glitching, have completely changed everything on the plane, speed controller, motor, servos, receiver
and have several batteries to try. have even moved the control rods so that they dont cross over... cant see what else i can try to stop the glitching, apart from trying a new transmitter, although it seems fine on all my other planes...even different crystals.!

will post some pics of the upgrade, and a video clip when i get round to it , might need to check out the C of G.
before the first flight..

mat
Old 11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
midvaguy9

I've flown the edge 540t and had a hair raising couple first flights, but realized that the plane simply has an insane amount of control throw for those 3-D maneuvers. I've since replaced the radio with my futaba 7-channel computer radio and the plane is much more controllable and enjoyable in the air. Its docile on low rates but wild on high rates. I only have one problem with the plane still, the servos don't center well. Once a control is given, the servos should return the control surface to center, apparently the servos provided dont have the torque to do this or their electronic centering capability isnt that good. Therefore you stil have to dance around on the sticks even at low rate.[&o] I'm still having a lot of fun with the lil plane and the power plant is more than adequate, but its definitly not a plane for the beginner. At 200.00 bucks however, I'm definitly going to give their 300L a look, if it flys as nice i can't go wrong.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:16 PM
jaskel

hey guys, i just odered this plane and i am looking forward to it

I have an ultimate bipe at the moment so this edge will complete my 3d collection
Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 PM
hamish

i have a flying dragon by shun da using all stock gear. crashed lightly tons of times and nothing looks broken but as the plane gets further away there is a huge amount of interferance that makes the motor hunt and servos dance. only happens when the motor is on. could it be something to do with esc being to close to the rx. im new in electric flight[font="Arial"][/font
Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 AM
flyboy 63

I have a 27% Edge 540 with a Super Tigre 3250 engine. It is a blast to fly so I thought I would get a mini Edge 540 for the park behind my house. How well does this plane fly? Ha anyone bought an E-flite mini Edge 540. I love nitro planes to I thought about installing a .15 glow engine in the mini, but I am not sure if it would be feasable.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: flyboy 63

I have a 27% Edge 540 with a Super Tigre 3250 engine. It is a blast to fly so I thought I would get a mini Edge 540 for the park behind my house. How well does this plane fly? Ha anyone bought an E-flite mini Edge 540. I love nitro planes to I thought about installing a .15 glow engine in the mini, but I am not sure if it would be feasable.
I'd not buy another one. The TX, servos and motors for mine have been of a low quality. People have been replacing the motor. Some people like it. You have to read the whole thread to get a better idea.

There is also a large Mini Edge thread here. Yet again, some people like it and some loathe it. I've not flown one but some people say that the wing loading is too high. Yet again, get reading ! Greg Covey has reviewed it and there are videos to watch. Look it up in the Magazine / reviews section.

I like my E-Flite planes but you could also consider the PZ Typhoon for instant smaller space 3D type flying. Add a LiPo and an RX to the PnP version for some great flying. There's a long thread at RC Groups about this one. This plane is pretty popular.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Get Real

i liked my parkflyer edge a lot.. if you go through all the pages in this thread youll also see i invested quite a bit of time and money in it as well and tested various set ups. the plane itself has lots of potential with better gear. its advertised as 3D capable.. if you look up the meaning of 3D youll find various meanings but all refer to high alpha flying as the most common.. for high alpha flying or hovering you need good power. unless they really upgraded the power system mine couldnt sustain hover stock and really lacked power (nor could anyone else's) who bought the plane at the time i did last year. the plane really fell short of its claims but wasnt bad if you put good gear in it. the rtf package isnt bad but falls very short of its claims. a more expierenced pilot than myself would probally have steered clear of it based on its claims but at the time i was just starting out. if you have your own gear and can get the bare airframe or parts for that matter at a decent price try it out. the typhoon is a much better value and does what its advertised to do out of the box stock. read these threads with a grain of salt.. watch videos/look at feedback etc and make an educated purchase. these are just my opinions but i feel im very fair about them. heres a video of some of the stuff i fly now.. the typhoon is still one of my favorite planes over a year after i bought it .

VIDEO: http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly-v2-Compolation-Video
Old 12-28-2006, 06:37 AM
skeasor

I believe that all RTF planes will fly out of the box. However, its always good to take spare time and replace the servos. I havent flown my 540 yet but plan on flying it soon.

Someone said that it wouldnt do a knifes edge? is that true? My typhoon will do a knifes edge easily. I'd imagine the 540 would too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.