Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Pz Decath to 3D

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Beowulf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pz Decath to 3D

In reality, how hard would it be to go from a basic park flyer like the PZ Decath to a 3D like the Typhoon that is coming out soon from PZ. One of the things I didn't like at first with the Decath was how slow it was and how slow it turned, ironically that was one of the main reasons for a lot of my crashes in the beginning.

I've been using the G3 sim a bit now, so hopefully shouldn't be that hard to fly the Typhoon or other 3D planes.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
under_par_00

Default RE: Pz Decath to 3D

I also learned on the PZ Super Decathlon and am now looking for a second plane. I think it comes down to the Typhoon or the new Parkflyers Edge 540T. I dunno if it will be hard to fly or not after flying the Super Decath. Try looking up the Venom motor mod, that gives you more speed, power, and aerobatic capabilities.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Beowulf

already put the venom mod onto my Decath.

I've been trying out the 3D planes in G3 and I'm not sure I'd be ready for a 3D yet, I imagine I'd crash a few times at first :P I have about a week before they come in, so I have some time to learn.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:56 AM
sparkvark

Try the PZ F-27 Stryker for a second plane. Although the Stryker can be converted into a real screamer, in its stock version, it is a great flying airplane. it is also very rugged. I have contacted the ground during a low pass on more then one occasion with little or no damage. Keep it on low rates to start and you should be fine. The Stryker has a very low wing loading so you can slow it WAY down if you want to. The only bad thing is that it can be "flitty" in the wind. However, it handles wind much better then the PZ Decathlon (I have both of them). Another side benefit is that you can you the charger that came with the Decathlon for the 8.4V Stryker battery, just turn up the charge rate to about 1.2A. If you decide to go with an F-27, I suggest you visit www.batteryspace.com. They offer (2) 1100 mAh, 8.4V packs for the Stryker for $19.95. Hard to beat that price.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Beowulf,
I would think for normal flying, you would be ok, BUT you would have to learn to use ailerons.
Also, I would think a 3D bird to be a no wind, very uncrashworthy bird. Compaired to the D.
Want to get some practice, other than on a PC? Hang a brushless motor on your D.
You'll be surprised what it's capable of. And if you do an aileron mod like was done to the Cubs, you can learn those also.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:37 AM
Beowulf

Heh, this is an old post

I ended up getting a slow stick and am loving that, the motor I have on it has tons more power than I really need. My only problem is wind and cheapy gear shafts, but I solved the gear shaft problem by picking up a HiMaxx gearbox and a couple spare gear shafts.