Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Laser Arts P-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Laser Arts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Arts P-51 Mustang

Hey guys, I don't hang out here much, but I thought I'd drop a note on the electric I just released. You can find out more on it in the "other forum site", but here's a little bit about it.

Laser Arts, [link=http://www.LaserArts.com]www.LaserArts.com[/link]

I didn’t like the offerings of P-51’s when I started to design the plane. They just didn't suit my tasts. This plane spans 37” and is 1/12 scale. We tried to keep as many scale details as possible, while at the same time, keeping it as light as possible. It flies beautifully and is very stable. It can fly nice, slow, and sedate, or crank the throttle for some higher speed fun. With the Himax 2015-xxxx, it pretty much has unlimited vertical.

Construction is laser cut balsa and plywood. Kits include wheels, pull-pull hardware, and other misc. hardware so you don’t have to make trips to the hobby shop.

The plane in the videos is the heaviest I’ve built so far, ending up with 1.5 oz of paint. (I was in a hurry and you can tell) The weight ranges have been 15 oz to 19.5 oz AUW. That’s with 5 servos AND retracts! Also, that’s not using the lightest equipment available.

SPECS (for the plane in the video):
Wingspan: 37 in
Wing Area: 254 sq in
Weight in the video: 19.5 oz (1.5 oz in paint! OOPS!)
Wing Loading in video: 11 oz/sq ft
Equipment: 5 ea. HS-55 servos
Hitec 555 Rx
Phoenix 25 Brushless ESC
Himax 2015-5400 w/GWS “D” Gearbox (recommend 2015-4100 for 4-blade operation)
3S 2050 mAh LiPo (Overkill at 5 oz!)
GWS “blue” Retracts
DuBro 1-3/4” Wheels

[link=http://www.laserarts.com/images/p51/P-51_Sm.wmv]VIDEO #1[/link]: 20+ MPH wings, first flight on this particular model.

[link=http://www.laserarts.com/images/p51/p-51_sm_2.wmv]VIDEO #2[/link]: Relatively calm, more fun
Old 07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Laser Arts

Default RE: Laser Arts P-51 Mustang

A few images ...

Old 07-13-2005, 03:41 PM
vtwinguy
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Laser Arts P-51 Mustang

Super nice looking and a real nice flyer (from the video). Amazing the equipment available for the small modeler these days. A 5 servo w/retracts epowered small P-51, simply amazing. The first epowered I built in 1977 had a windshield washer motor, homemade batterypack and a wire from a toggle switch hanging underneath to shut off the motor when it landed. This P-51 is really 1st class.

Best of luck with it.