Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS E-Starter - modified...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
sportytourer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS E-Starter - modified...

My first plane and current was the E-Starter with 400C geared motor and stock 1060 propeller with 7cell 1100mA Nimh. I flew this plane many times in that configuration and found it was very slow with flight times of 10-12 minutes. It was ok but if you ever got into trouble there was no room for error as the plane did not seem to have enough power. Well one thing I learned is I have no idea why the plane came with a 1060 direct drive prop? GWS props are good for slow flying but that is it unless you have a small prop. They flex too much and lose efficiency. Installing a 10x7 prop by E-Flite made it fly considerably better.
Later I tried a 3cell 1500mA Lipo battery and found the plane now had far better power and was lots faster. The 3cell 1500 weighted about 300 grams vs 500 grams for the 7 cell Nimh. The plane needed more weight on the nose in order to make the plane balance. Also you could not push the plane at full for long or you risk burning out the motor. Flight times with the 3 cell 1500 were about 22-25 minutes on average.
Here is where it gets interesting…
I bought a GWS Tiger Moth 400 and planned on putting a bigger motor on it. However during the build I figure I test the new engine in the E-Starter and figure out what prop configuration works best.
So I installed a E-Flite Park 400 4200 Brushless with 1:6 gearing in the E-Starter.
I tested this motor with these batteries and these props.
- 7 cell Nimh 1100mA, 3 cell Lipo 1500mA, 3 cell Lipo 2200 mA
- 10x7 E-Flite Slow Flyer, 12x6 E-Flite Slow Flyer, 11x7 E-Flite Slow Flyer (did not test this one but I hear is very good)
Ok, in simple terms this plane is now unbelievable. With any of the props and the 3 cell Lipos this plane could launch from vertical standstill to unlimited vertical with ¾ throttle with the 10x7 and ½ throttle in the 12x6. Hovering was easy but best with the 12x6. The plane was now very fast and very acrobatic. I decided to fly the plane mainly with the 10x7 prop as engine heat and amps that the battery and engine were drawing was not a concern. I installed an optional E-Flite heat sink on the motor and would highly recommend it as well as increased air flow with the 11x7 or 12x6 prop.
I have not tested the props and amps drawn properly with a watt meter yet but I know that the 12x6 and 11x7 are not to be run at full power for long. This is especially a concern with the 1500mA battery pack I have as it limits the amps drawn continuous to 15A. The 2200 mA battery pack has 22A continuous but the motor can only take 18A continuous so there is the limit. With a 10x7 prop I can swap any battery pack and have fun with amps drawn being no concern. With the 12x6 or 11x7 throttle management is needed.
Flight times were not accurately tested yet but I can say this so far.
With the 10x7 and 2200mA 3cell Lipo the plane flew hard fro 25 minutes with lots more juice yet but the flight had to be stopped. I am guessing I can fly from anywhere from 30-60 minutes with this battery depending on how aggressive. With the 1500 mA Lipo I previously could fly for 22-25 minutes with the stock 400C motor so with the brushless I imagine 22-35 minutes depending on how aggressive (however I am finding that flight times while longer considerably the speed is 2-3times as fast!!
With this setup hovering, acrobatics, unlimited verticals are easy. The E-Starter is now a whole new plane to fly than before and it is like I have a new plane with new capabilities to learn all over again. I have since increased the travel of all controls to allow more maneuverability. Flying upside down though is difficult as the wings tend to want to make the plane right itself. I found it is easiest to get it upside down then use the rudder to steer for now. Oh well let you know more details once I get more flight time in….