Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
mfranke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow stick replacement

Guys,
looking for a upgrade beyond the slow stick. Perfect trainer, but little boring now. Looking for something that is four channel. Either ARF or kit. Several people have suggested the GWS 400 Tiger moth. Looking for other suggestions as well.
Mark Franke
Old 07-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slow stick replacement

I'm quite enjoying my Estarter. I'm using a 350 motor with C gearing and a 9x7 prop.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Nitroaddict

I can't think of anything that could beat the E-Starter. I loved mine stock and when I went brushless and clipped the wings, it became quite the performer as well. Great trainer and doesn't get boring down the road either. Looks good too! Here are a couple photos of mine.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
gigelus2k3

GWS F O R M O S A !
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gigelus2k3

GWS F O R M O S A !
As a second plane? I've heard they make good 3rd planes. One of the guys I fly with who was quite comfortable with his Estarter was a bit nervous about flying his Formosa.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Flyinhi1

I'd back up the motion for an E-Starter, too. I also flew my slow stick until I felt I wanted to move to the "next level" and learn ailerons. The E-Started proved to be docile to moderate in response (perfect for learning), durable and easily repairable (also, perfect for learning!) and all my slow stick "guts" could be transferred right over. One thing I did with mine was make it a tail-dragger like the SS. It seemed a little more familiar to land. Even after I'd progressed to other levels and planes (gassers and electric), I still found myself scrounging around for spare parts to keep the SS flyable. I can't believe the mileage I've got out of that $34.95 model! I've had mine for about 2 1/2 yrs now and was using it to try to teach my dad to fly. He just turned 65 this last week and I wanted to introduce him to this hobby. We got him a GWS Beaver kit that he's building for his first plane and I'd been getting him some air-time with my old slow stick. Unfortunately, last Sunday the control horn for the elevator pulled loose and the SS went down for the very last time. (sniff). But good things come from bad things and I'm scratch building a slow type stick flyer using the SS as a platform to engineer something from. I'm building it with the beginner in mind (3 channel) and maybe a little snappier performance (i.e. less diheldral, more rudder and elevator surface area, brushless motor, etc) so when the students are all graduated I still have something I'll enjoy relaxing with.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:01 AM
gigelus2k3

I'm a noob regarding RC flight. My first plane was a slow-stick and, when it became too easy, I chose as a second one the formosa. Which I crashed exactely once, when I maidened it (because I underestimated the field size needed for it and I sort of panicked). All has been well since.

What helped immensely with controlling a low-wing aileron plane such as the formosa were the few hours of pre-flight training on a flight simulator (thank you, FMS guys!). Crashing the virtual plane while learning the aileron basics is the painless and easy way.

So, why settle for a sedate e-starter when you can skip this and get into the wonderful world of low-wing planes (one step closer to warbirds, mmmm!)?