Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3

Old 07-25-2005, 04:35 PM
KiwiKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS! Part 3

GG Good to see you back. Did you see the pic that your old mate Chuck D
posted over at the other site. He got hit by his Raider doing 85 mph. Pic below.
He said:
"While flying my rite wing raider at about 105 MPH, a terminal glitch sent the 48 inch wing spinning towards me....
I attempted a quick correction on the plane and then dove as it was headed for my skull....
SMACK!!! At LEAST 85 MPH into my shoulder and then bouncing off and hitting a steel case about 75 feet behind me; still going so fast that it bent 2 3s Polyquests IN HALF and shattered 2 1/8 inch CF rods 2 inches in from the foam nose.
FLY CAREFULLY!!!! COMING FROM A MAN WHO KNOWS...
Once your plane begins breaking 100MPH...it's time for PCM Rx...."

Lets be careful out there.

KiwiKid

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81762.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	301371  
Old 07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
dhmorrill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very good example of how alert you need to be out there on the flying field, not just for others but yourself as well, this accadent could very well have done a whole lot more damage if not death. That is how fast things can go wrong, thank you for posting that pic and info.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:29 PM
flyboykg

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

flyboy,
The Mega setups are either the 16/15/3 or the big hammer is the 16/25/4

GoGo, I've dark sided everything in my fleet with the exception of my P38.
Am doing the Stang now. Adding all to it to make it as real as possible.....except for speed

Thanks GG! Do you recommend the Mega over the Warp4? I don't have any experience with either, and knew that this would be the place to ask. I think that the 16/15/4 will be more than enough for me to handle for a while, but I'm sure that my mouth will eventually water for the 16/25/4

flyboy
Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
cadetman

gogofast/KiwiKid/ All.. Please Read this for your Safety

its very important to realise the difference between a Park Flyer and a RPV [>:]
i Too was this >< close to being hit by my Stryker recently,

in a Private message From Glacier he Wrote..
Ray,
Did you have to go home and change your underwear?
Some butler Jeeves is, he should have sacrificed his body for his master.LOL
Must be a union employee.
he did Jump to save me but given his age and the Speed of the Stryker it was a over in the Blink of an Eye [X(]
by the time he shouted " I Will Save You Sir" the Stryker had landed 60 feet away ! hahah

a Tx Aerial was the only damage !

i felt like a Right Idiot Standing there with the Tx with a Bent Aerial [&o]

Chuck D was Unlucky and i was VERY Lucky,

this Thread is called Way Past The Limits..
we have always Promoted safety because we Know this is only the Start of things to Come
there will be more Powerful Motors and Higher Capacity Battery packs Very Soon [X(]
and what we learn and post here will avoid a Newbie Launching a Guided Rocket,

once the Limit was 100 MPH.. and on another forum that i once visited its called " How Far can We Take this"

we are only limited by our reaction times..
so learn your lessons ONE STEP AT A TIME !!
dont go from Stock to Ballistic in One Giant Leap For a *%$#@$$%^*%%#!!!

Cadetman
Old 07-25-2005, 07:33 PM
dhmorrill
My Feedback: (1)

CadetMan,

Very good advise, I am very safty oriented and that is the first thing that I think about when going to the field, and even before, if there is ANYONE in the area, I mean anyone unless they are with me, I will look for another place to fly, as GG and Cadet have said, murphy is out there and you know that saying, what can happen, will happen and allthough that is a big flying field and there is only one person in it, with my luck when my plane goes down it will go down right on top of that one person. Anyways thanks for the info CadetMan, I am working on some do's and dont's that I will be posting after I run it by GG, and CadetMan for there additions or subtractions and input.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Flyboy,
How fast have you flown before? And how much flight time do you have?
Any of these set ups, including the Bp, are going to be in the 70 mph range.
The Megas will push you past the 100 mph mark.
BLINK, that's how much time you have to react to a problem at 70mph. And by that time your bird has covered about 90 feet. At 100+, BLINK and your bird has covered 150 feet.
When you step up, you don't have time to react, you need to be flying way ahead of your bird.
I will not fly my hot birds on a field any longer if someone else is on the field, flying or otherwise. As a matter of fact I only fly them on my farm, 225 acres of property, no one is allowed to be on. But even with these safety precautions, someone could still sneak up on you.
I have a bad habit of zoning in on my bird in flight, total concentration on it, I've had the bajeezus scared out of me more than once by someone walking up to me while I'm flying.
That little loss of concentration means roughly 2 seconds of unbridled flight, and I pranged a couple of birds, because of it.
Again, don't get me wrong, there's nothing like the thrill of speed, just be prepared to handle it.

Do me a favor, put your bird on the ground and pace off 100 feet. Roughly that's how far your bird will go from the time your eyes see the person in the flight line, your brain realizes there's about to be a problem and sends a signal to your thumb, your thumb moves the stick, and your bird reacts to the input. Hopefully you had enough distance to clear said object, otherwise get your check book out.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 PM
flyboykg

Flyboy,
How fast have you flown before? And how much flight time do you have?
Any of these set ups, including the Bp, are going to be in the 70 mph range.
The Megas will push you past the 100 mph mark.
BLINK, that's how much time you have to react to a problem at 70mph. And by that time your bird has covered about 90 feet. At 100+, BLINK and your bird has covered 150 feet.
When you step up, you don't have time to react, you need to be flying way ahead of your bird.
I will not fly my hot birds on a field any longer if someone else is on the field, flying or otherwise. As a matter of fact I only fly them on my farm, 225 acres of property, no one is allowed to be on. But even with these safety precautions, someone could still sneak up on you.
I have a bad habit of zoning in on my bird in flight, total concentration on it, I've had the bajeezus scared out of me more than once by someone walking up to me while I'm flying.
That little loss of concentration means roughly 2 seconds of unbridled flight, and I pranged a couple of birds, because of it.
Again, don't get me wrong, there's nothing like the thrill of speed, just be prepared to handle it.

Do me a favor, put your bird on the ground and pace off 100 feet. Roughly that's how far your bird will go from the time your eyes see the person in the flight line, your brain realizes there's about to be a problem and sends a signal to your thumb, your thumb moves the stick, and your bird reacts to the input. Hopefully you had enough distance to clear said object, otherwise get your check book out.
GG - I flew airplanes back in high school/early college, and got out of it for a while ... picked up helicopters a few years ago (very hard, but fun), and about 6 months ago got back into flying airplanes, with the Zagi Tazz. I know all about how fast these wings can go ... the Stryker has actually been a nice change of pace compared to my Tazz, but I'm ready for it to live up to it's potential. I love the "going mach 2 with your hair on fire feeling" ... it's a combination of fear and adrenaline laced excitement! Having a plane that you can send into a dive, level off 15ft off the deck going 80-100mph, and pull into the vertical to "spec" it, is just awesome [X(]
The Stryker is just such a cool looking plane, that I'd like to be able to have the same fun with it, that I do with my Tazz. You're completely right, a brushless "rocket" plane is not to be flown in small areas, or near people or valuable property, or by someone who doesn't understand just how fast it's going ... I fly my Tazz over a HUGE alfalfa field right next to my work, and it still seems small (until your plane goes down, and you have to hike to get it).
I just didn't know what "power plant" the Stryker could handle for the high speeds. I definitely plan on reinforcing the fuselage, per this great thread that you all have populated. The wealth of information contained here is invaluable, and I can't wait to apply it. Thanks for taking the time to consider my flight experience, and for your help

flyboy
Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
sjchmura

Splatz,

I think the stock motor and electronics with stock 7 cell "prop" can handle th e9 cells. People fly LiPo 11.1V (NiMH 10.8V) for 8 Mins before a fire starts. To be honest, there is no way you could keep it flying 8 mins full throttle - too fast.

So the stock ESC should handle 20amps. So with GP1100 9-cell pack I should be under that (assuming I don't stick a huge prop on it or something)

Crossing me fingers. What happens when the ESC catches fire?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 AM
RayRay

gogo / Stryker Fanatics,

Glad to see that the Stryker thread is still going strong (Wow, part III already!). I have been posting since the original Stryker thread in Oct. 2004 (page 3) and was delighted when Glacier , Cadetman, MrFixit (and all the other contributers) ran with Part II.
Nice to see that the "torch" has been passed to you fine Knights. Please "pay it forward" to the newbies that will inevitably come after you.

You have all done a great job adding to this wealth of knowledge and keeping the Stryker legacy strong.

Take care,

Ray Ray
"Tailwind"
Old 07-26-2005, 03:02 AM
cadetman

Hi RayRay

how is the flight training comming along?
i still have the Vid on the Pc [8D]

Cadetman
Old 07-26-2005, 06:02 AM
Glacier Girl

Sjchmura,
Think of the old Korean or Vietnam war gun footages. The pictures of the Mig going in, trailing a long column of smoke. Then think of the A bomb footage, as that's probably what you'll see next if you are running lipos.

Flyboy,
No insult meant, just want to be sure of qualifications before turning someone loose.
I'll PM you a hot set up. Make you look like this.[X(]
Then this[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=bananahead.gif] And then this.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: ParrotheadMuddy

Wow, that was quick gogo,
You may have read my post from a little while ago. I have not had the time to post much lately, but seeing the thread shut down put me into panic mode [X(]. Thanks for starting this thread, and if anyone responds to my thread, I'll direct them here. Good lookin' out bruh! [8D]
The last F27 thread was getting unwieldy. Nothing stopping you from starting another and picking up where you left off.... and I guess that's exactly what you did
Old 07-26-2005, 09:07 AM
sjchmura

Idea: Smaller (lighter) but more batteries ... (NIMH)

CBP750AA

Chemistry: NIMH
Capacity: 750mah
Length: 1.12in. 28.45mm
Diameter: 0.55in. 13.97mm
Weight: 0.49oz. 13.88gm

9 of these cells weight LESS then 7 of normal GP1100 or the striker packs (stock). So you would get the speed of 9-cells with the "forever glide" of 6 cells. While the flight time would be less, you would get (I assume) great performace.

Has anyone tried smaller (but) more batteries? How do I find out if these can push enough current out for the stock motor (I need about 10amps - right?)
Old 07-26-2005, 09:21 AM
sjchmura

Anyone know where the CG shoudl be on a GEN1? Could someone post a Gen2 or 3 pic so I could see where to put it in relation to the "handles".

I am going to experiement with some smaller battery packs (like KAN650) so I think I should push it as far forward as possible
Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 AM
LoudEye

Ok,

I have a question that will require an Elder(s) to answer. I have been all over the threads of many forums for different types of planes and ALL seem to have one or two people promoting a CD ROM motor. So I finally took a look at a link posted for said motor that for $30 supposedly will compete with a Mega 16/25/4.
[X(]

http://cdrworks.com/product_info.php...products_id=87

Check out the video link on the page above and you will see that this guys stryker is indeed VERY fast.

Can someone please verify the claims that this motor can indeed compete with a Mega 16/25/4? If so, man is it a good deal for $30 instead of $109!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Glacier Girl

You will need to know the C rating on your batteries. Multiply C x mah to get max amps from battery.

Gen1 is aprox 6 1/2" from TE at motor mount. Gen 2 And 3 have a small indented circle in the bottom of the hand grips. Please not this is a general starting point, as each bird is different.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 AM
r-faul11

I'll tell you what,
I am going to buy 1, and build it, and i'll let you know.
I would think that it could indeed compete with the mega
Windings, Magnets and power comparing.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
sjchmura

Thanks Glacier,

TE means ..???
Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Glacier Girl

jikkjack,
You talking about MT Wallets set up?
Per he it rocks, but I like to see more than one out there running for a while before buying.
But then again price is right.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 AM
RayRay

sjchmura,

TE means trailing edge of the wing. or the aft (backmost part where the motor mount is).
And yes the CG (Center of Gravity) is approximately 6 1/2 inches from the trailing edge on a Generation 1 fuse, give or take an 1/8" depending of your power plant. The Stryker is VERY sensitive to CG, even a 1/4 inch will have adverse affects on flight characteristics.
Best test to check CG (in addition to balancing on your 2 fingers) is a performing a loop. Does the nose "fall over" at the top of the loop?
If so your CG is most likely off.

Ray Ray
"Tailwind"
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM
sjchmura

RayRay,

It does "fall off" - meaning it "sharpens" when inverted and almost goes straight down after getting inverted. So is this nose heavy?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Glacier Girl

could be nose heavy, or motor angle is off.
If bird noses up on acceleration, the angle is off, it should accelerate in a straight line.
You are better off with a slightly nose heavy bird, it will handle a little better. If it's tail heavy, it will be very squirrely in flight.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
LoudEye

Glacier,

Yes - it's MT Wallet's set up. I think you should give her a try as you currently run a mega setup on one(or more) of your super strykers!! You are in a great position to evaluate/judge this little ole $30 set-up. Maybe you could put it on *Morph*??? He he he - just trying to pry out some more details...

r-faul11 - if you do buy/build it. please take elaborate pics of the winding of the motor with detailed instruction.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
flyboykg

Sjchmura,
Think of the old Korean or Vietnam war gun footages. The pictures of the Mig going in, trailing a long column of smoke. Then think of the A bomb footage, as that's probably what you'll see next if you are running lipos.

Flyboy,
No insult meant, just want to be sure of qualifications before turning someone loose.
I'll PM you a hot set up. Make you look like this.[X(]
Then this[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=bananahead.gif] And then this.

Thanks for the PM GG [X(]! Replied a bit ago. Thanks again for your time & info!

flyboy
Old 07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
cadetman

sjchmura

those batteries are $1.25 each [X(]
multiplied by 9 per pack .. hold on a sec using fingers and toes now..
thats $11.25 per pack excluding the time and energy to make the pack and the Plug to connect it and you will get roughly 4 mins of flight MAX [&o],
but you did say you would Us the Glide effect so in effect you would stay airbourne longer with good throttle management

my advice would be dont over invest in this Battery Chemistry because very soon i can see you going Lipo and Brushless soon

below is a link the voltage Curve for Applied Load and its NOT Good [&o]
my second bit of advice would be try one pack and evaluate it first then build a second and see if it performs as well as the first and take if from there

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cel...invid=CBP750AA

remember the comparisons are between a 750 ma and a 600 ma !!
there is Bound to be a Short Fall on the Best 600ma as a Comparison to a 750 ma battery Anyway [&:]

a more realistic view is a 9 cell pack made from CBP750AA's would privide about 9.45 volts after the first 20 seconds and reducing all the time,
when i was using NiMh the first 60 seconds was Brill but then its a downward slope to landing [&o]
thats why i suggest one Pack first

hope this helps

Cadetman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.