Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

THE E-starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM
sky-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE E-starter

Hello, everyone I just ordered my first plane ever!! Wether it is a misstake or not I have now ordered after thinking and thinking like a jerk, choosing from slow stick, tigermoth to the
E-starter, I finaly made the decison.. good or not It is an airplane anway, I didnt want to spend the remaining time from summer waisting on "#¤"#% pondering!

why I avoided the slow-stick is cauz this: NO ALLERIONS! and I dont mean that the first thing im gonna do on the e-starter is mount the allerion, no! but I thought about the future. starting easy and then mount the damn side bankers!

So any tips, informations, comments etc is highly NEEDED!

Sky-pilot( just so you know it should arrive here in 36 hours!)
God bless[&:]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: THE E-starter

Get someone to help you fly the plane or you'll likely crash a lot and do a lot of rebuilding before you learn to fly. I learned by myself and the Estarter was my third plane.

I built mine mostly stock. Many put carbon fiber tubes or bamboo sticks inside the fuse from the trailing edge of the wing to the tail to strenthen it should you crash. I just put some packing tape on the top and bottom which works as well if not better.

Use a lot of glue when gluing the landing gear in. Use only as much Epoxy as you need. It is, relatively, a heavy glue.

There is an Ultimate Estarter Thread at RCgroups.com where you can find out a whole lot about this plane.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:06 AM
sky-pilot

do you know how to put the packing tap on the craft exactly cauz I would know how?? (dont get how)?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Time Pilot

It will be easy to see once you have the Estarter together. Measure how much you need, cut it, stick it on the bottom as mentioned. Cut the tape from the hole on the bottom of the tail as this is where some of the air will exit that cools some of the components.

For the top, tape runs from the back window to halfway down the dorsal fin (I think it's called). That would be halfway from where the vertical stab starts to where the horizontal stab starts. It won't look as pretty as an 'internal job' but if you're learning to fly on your own, your Estarter won't look very good in a relatively short period of time anyway.

You don't need to cover the tail with tape. Just run a strip down the bottom and and inch wide down both sides of the top. Regular tape will do. No need to go to the fiber reinforced type. If you break the other stuff, your Estarter will be in bad enough shape anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:05 AM
sky-pilot

I understand that I have to put strips all over the plane, right? a picture would make it easy for me to understand better...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Time Pilot

I'll post a picture when I figure out how to make clear packing tape show up on camera.

It's not hard when you have the plane in front of you, built. If someone else has a picture, please post, otherwise let me know when you've got it done and I'll have another go at explaining.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:32 PM
sky-pilot

where are the photo?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Sky Pilot,

You might also try using a simulator to help you learn. There is a free one called [link=http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html]FMS[/link] that I use. On the links page of the the FMS web site you can find people who sell cables to interface your transmitter to your computer for like $30 using the trainer port. The planes fly more stable than normal but it will help you with orientation.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Weldman

Sky -pilot,

To keep the tail from breaking, I ran a small 1 inch( 25.5mm) strip of carbon fiber from the circle portion inside the fuselage to the small hole in the bottom of the tail for the Antenna. Tail never broke, the wing will need clear packing tape on the bottom and on top to the mid- section of the wing.

mike
Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Im_a_Kid_who_flyes

I have an E-Starter and have only one thing to tell you...[sm=idea.gif] you need ailerons. I flew mine the first time without ailerons and once it came out of the turn it kept leaning farther and farther even if you give it opposite elavator to counter it. The plane never flew again![sm=crying.gif]
Old 02-05-2006, 04:35 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I taught myself on the E-Starter, after using the FMS simulator for a couple of months. The E-S seemed frighteningly fast during the first few flights...

Mine is built stock with the 350 motor ... Except:

- no landing gear (saves weight, saves landing gear from being ripped off the plane on landings into long grass.
- ailerons/elevator/throttle control (no rudder, that is enough functions to start with)
- 2S1200 LiPo battery (for lighter weight -> lower speeds)
- some clear packing tape for landing protection: a couple of lengthwise strips on fuselage bottom, spanwise strips on wing and stabiliser leading edges.

Power system is 350 motor/C gear/9070 prop/2S 1200 LiPo.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
gottabfordtough

estarter was my 1st plane. never flown before that not even a sim. did ok. took it real easy and didn't crash till my 4th flight that's about when i started getting brave, trying loops. hint if you try a loop... have plenty of altitude. g reat learner very stable even in wind. build as instructed by manual mine had 400 with 2 cell lipo. im into 3d flying now and i miss the estarter sometimes.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Jagzilla

You made a good choice with the plane. It was my second plane, after the Beaver, but in retrospect I probably could have started off with it.
A few suggestions...build it light! Don't go too crazy with extra mods, glue or paint. These things all add weight which is your enemy. Weight means you need more power to fly, which means shorter flight times. Weight also means more inertia. Which means more foam all over the place when it hits the ground. Yes, it will hit the ground many times. Two part expoxy is your best friend here. All is repairable on the Estarter. It won't looks as nice after a while, but it will be doing it's job of learning you how to fly.These things are like timex watches....take's a lickin'

Landing gear is a weak area. The break out of the foam really easy. Be prepared to do some constant repairing here. Stock battery hatch cover is prone to falling apart in mid flight, thus ejecting your battery. You can guess the rest here. Buy some spare props and if you can, prop shafts. You'll learn why. Keep throws on the elevator low when you first fly. Again, you'll learn why.

Good luck with it, you made a great choice with the E-Starter and I'm sure you'll have lotsa fun with it.
J