Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

breaking in stryker motor

Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
prizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in stryker motor

I have seen mention in several posts to use water to break in the F27 stryker motor. However I have yet to be able to find how exactly this is done, do i disassemble the motor from the plane and stick it in a glass of water or what?
Also, I have literally killed my fuselage, I see that everyone seems to use CA to repair, but is the CA activator safe to use? I have seen threads saying both yes and no.
THanks
Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: breaking in stryker motor

FOAM SAFE accelerator is ok. But can still do some damage if you use a lot of glue.

Break in: Remove motor from plane, remove prop. drop motor in glass of water, leaving only the 2 leads exposed, hook leads to one or two "D" cell flash light batteries, run it till batteries die. Remove motor, blow out water, add a drop of light weight oil to each bushing, and your ready to go.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
prizm

thanks glacier girl!!
one other question, why do i need to break in the motor? does it have advantages/disadvantages? what happens if i dont break it in ?
Thanks again!!
Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
critterhunter

I reverse timed and broke in my stock Stryker motor after it had already been used. The reverse timing does produce more power but a water break in produced no carbon in the water. Point being that I don't think a water break in on a used motor will do any good, but on a new motor you will notice a lot of black gunk as the brushes seat. I did this to a Zagi Reverse Time 400 motor (put into a Challenger) as the same time I did my used Stryker motor and the Zagi had tons of carbon floating in the water but nothing from the Stryker motor. Reverse time it and break it in in water BEFORE you use it.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
skydivera1

There are no strker motors at the LHS's in my area. What other inexpensive motor can I put in there with the stock electronics?
James
Old 08-04-2005, 02:04 PM
prizm

How does one reverse time a motor?
what does reverse timing do?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I think what Critter ment was advanced the timing. It' easy to do. Makes motor pull harder, but also uses up the pack faster.

Skydivera,
Look for a PZ Mustang motor, it's the same one. Pop off the gear and heat sink and you're good to go.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 PM
prizm

Ok I ran my motor all day connected to a D battery, rinsed it all out and i think i screwed up from here. I bought some singer sewing machine oil (saw in another post to use that) and I wasnt quite sure where to put it... Im am not sure where/what bushings are.
So i dripped some oil in the slots on the sides of the motor, now it runs like crap..
can someone help me? How do i clean this out and where exactly do i put the oil?
or have i messed the motor up and it will need to be replaced?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:12 PM
PHIL I.

[:'(]
Go to an auto parts store and get some BRAKE KLEAN and take the motor apart and SPRAY THROUGHLY. Spray the arm and wipe dry. And yes clean the slots too. Do the brushes too. Check the contact surface of the brushes to make sure the contact all the way across. If not. Put the motor together DRY...NO OIL ANYWHERE. use 1 AAA battery and dunk it in the water and run for 3-4 min. It will NOT hurt it. Take it out , dry and check the brush contact surface to see.....The most I ever had to run my motors was 12 min total. If good...Dry throughly and OIL ONLY the bushings WHERE THE ARMATURE SHAFT COMES OUT OF THE MOTOR or bearings LIGHTLY...It don't take much...DO NOT USE WD 40 FOR ANYTHING...PERIOD....Over time it get VERY thick and gummy. Put a small drop of LITE oil on the bushings every 2 hr.flight time.If you have a gear drive Do it too and use white lithium grease on the gears..NOT MUCH.
The first one is the hardest...

PHIL I.