Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Extreme - hand launching, gliding and the nicad

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird Extreme - hand launching, gliding and the nicad

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 04:10 PM
netdudeuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Extreme - hand launching, gliding and the nicad

Having done ok with Firebird Commanders we've just bought a Aerobird Extreme. I've done a couple of laps today and noticed a couple of things. First of all, in Pro mode it is way more controllable than the FC. It was also climbing rather quickly as well !

A few questions :

* some have suggested that Pro mode is better, even when starting with this model. Does the Sports mode offer much less control ?

* it took me a while to get the courage to throw it into the air and once I did it hiccupped a little before climbing. This seems to be quite a beast to launch. Any advice please ?

* it's quite possible to hand launch the FC and it will glide nicely to allow for quick trim adjustments. I did the same for the ABX and it came down pretty quickly. Is this just too heavy to be hand launched straight into a glide ?

* the nicad charger showed the steady light before time, several times and the battery was not that warm. Is this normal as suggested on the included note ?

* any other advice ?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Troglotech

Default RE: Aerobird Extreme - hand launching, gliding and the nicad

I did the same leap as you FBC to Extreme......... it was quite exciting to start with that's for sure....

* some have suggested that Pro mode is better, even when starting with this model. Does the Sports mode offer much less control ?

The Extreme can be quite lazy in Sport mode, most people prefer to fly in Pro mode, it certainly offers the best control even for a new flyer.......

* it took me a while to get the courage to throw it into the air and once I did it hiccupped a little before climbing. This seems to be quite a beast to launch. Any advice please ?

Throw it like a Javelin, and always into the wind, a little headwind helps. In needs a damn good throw as the stall speed is much higher than the FBC

* it's quite possible to hand launch the FC and it will glide nicely to allow for quick trim adjustments. I did the same for the ABX and it came down pretty quickly. Is this just too heavy to be hand launched straight into a glide ?

It does everything a lot quicker than the FBC....including coming back down again. It will take a little time to get used to the fact that it is a faster, heavier plane. After a hand-launch you need just about full blast to keep it in the air, it tends to drop quite a bit until above stall speed, this is the period where most things go wrong...torque steer..stalls...etc. It needs a damn good throw for sure.

* the nicad charger showed the steady light before time, several times and the battery was not that warm. Is this normal as suggested on the included note ?

The peak charger supplied with this plane is notorious for false-peaking, it is better to twiddle the little knob below 1A charge rate, this usually allows the battery to be fully charged. The battery will get hot when fully charged (or at least warm), with the weight of the Extreme it is always best to have warm batteries at launch, you have a much better chance of getting it in the air.

Finally, make sure you have done all the normal modifications (you will find them on this Forum with a search) which includes motor tie-wrap, reinforcing the main wing and the tail wing, tie-wrapping the tail boom and taping or banding down the canopy.....I hope it all goes well...the Extreme is a great plane to fly but a lot faster than the FBC
Old 08-12-2005, 11:13 AM
mdelling

Most problems with hand launching the Extreme occur because people THINK they are throwing the plane hard but they really aren't. Let it fly like a Javelin or a football on a long bomb and you won't have any trouble. If it's dipping down toward the ground after you launching you then you aren't throwing it hard enough.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

You may want to add a little up trim for launch and then re-trim once you've gotten up in the air.