Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS funny park

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:17 AM
clovus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS funny park

Does anybody own one of these? What are your experiences? I've only had fun with mine, but encountered negative vibes from everybody else. Why?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 PM
geo8498

Default RE: GWS funny park

I could never get mine to fly right. I gave up on it. Those ailerons aren't very responsive at slow speed.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:52 PM
clovus

I agree they are not very aerobatic, but I foudn it went where I wanted to, and was really stable. I found weight was the critical issue for slow flight, especially as it is so tail heavy. I just bought another one and shaved as much foam as I dared from the tail. Now it balances without any clayat all.

I had a real blast with my first one, especially as it was my first aileron plane. I'm just suprised there isn't more activity on the forums about them.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Good for you Clovus that you mastered the Funny Park. I think many have tried and failed. Someone even put a suicide video on the forums.

The FP was my second plane. This plane is not for beginners and it does not fly slow contrary to the way it is marketed. It was underpowered and tail heavy and I had a lot of trouble with it at first. Learned a lot about electric power systems though. I ended up moving the battery into the wing to try to help its roll rate. I finally could fly it well after many crashes - it is a very tuff plane. It is not a very acrobatic plane, simple things like rolls and loops are a challange for it. With a lot of power this plane might be OK. I did feel proud that I finally was able fly it with success and it does look very cool on take off and landings.

After this plane I bought a Dandy Sport from Mountain Models and never looked back. The DS was what I was really looking for in the FP, and the GT wing was a great enhancement for it. I still have my FP and it is in flying condition but I have removed all the gear from it and use it for different planes.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
clovus

I'm suprised you didn't break the fuse..... I ended up puting a balsa strip down the side to strengthen it on my original FP. I figured with the dihedral and thick wing it would be good for my mini video camera. My initial test flight was good, so just have to hook up some video recording stuff now.

Where did you put the battery?? In the wing? Huh... could you give me some more info?

Oh, and I'm using a Kokam 1500 mAh 3 cell lipo.... with the 350BB motor.... I don't expect a long motor life .....but there is plenty of power... he he..
Old 09-05-2005, 10:32 AM
baddawg1976

The FP was my 2nd plane and it was a little weird at first but after getting trimmed, she was awesome very aerobatic. Could do just about anything with it and it landed very slow and stable. Nevr had any problems with balance. Good from the get go.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
clovus

I just put in a Ultrafly "d" series brushless to go with the 1500 mAh lipos. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but 3/4 throttle in my hand had absolute masses of pull.

The maiden flight shoud be...... interesting.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:50 PM
clovus

I had my maiden flight with the new powerplant in this morning. In the words of Rolls Royce power was....adequate, to say the least. After the ROG I had less then 1/2 throttle the whole time to keep things nice while I trimmed it out. At around 3/4 it was quite quick and had a very good climb rate. I'm going to need to keep on top of the plane now as it certainly covers some ground now.

The only thing I noticed with the throttle 'off' the prop would just stop suddenly and with very low throttle applications the prop was stopping then starting again. With the GWS motor the prop seemed to 'free wheel' even when the power was cut. Any ideas as to why this is occurring?