Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

I Stuffed My PZ P-51 last night...

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

I Stuffed My PZ P-51 last night...

Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Stuffed My PZ P-51 last night...

Yep, it's totaled! I was doing a low pass followed by a pull up to turn, but when the plane was about vertical on the pull up the LVC kicked in and the plane stopped and then fell like a brick. It came straight down, very quickly I might add.....It seemed to be falling fast enough to respond to my inputs....But Nah, it just smashed into the ground with the nose and the left wind making contact first. Damage report- Broken wing, Broken gear box, broken cowl, broken prop, broken spinner, crunched fuse. The only part not damaged is the tail. Frankie ejected on contact with the ground. I think this is the point where I say "It's been real, it's been fun" and pitch it in the garbage. I was flying with a TP 3S 2100 pack, and when those packs get down to 9V in the P-51 its still flying fine. It still seems to have plenty of power. So I was a little surprised when the LVC dumped me on the ground. Anyhow, I may extract the electronics and put them in a Slow Stick to use for dog fighting.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 AM
SBR_RV

Default RE: I Stuffed My PZ P-51 last night...

bad luck, isnt if funny how the tail always survives, no matter how they hit
Old 08-27-2005, 10:59 AM
flyingace451

Ouch...do you plan on getting another P-51? Or are you getting something else (you said the Slo V...so I'm just curious)
Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Safety Hawk

I'm probably not gonna get another one..unless they sell an ARF version that I can use my 7CAP with, and I already have several other planes. I was just thinking that the electronics from that plane would work in a GWS Slow Stick as a good bash around plane. Something to tie a streamer to and use for combat. I have a couple of other friends that want to partake in this. It would be the most slow paced combat you've ever seen! I was thinking I might set up the Slow Stick like the P-51...fixed rudder and working ailerons.

SBR_RV...You are very right when it comes to the tail on the P-51. I guess it's due to that built in crumple zone....however that Aerobird Xtreme..I can break the tail on that thing just putting it in the car.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
kuzikood
My Feedback: (2)

lol my first real crash in a slow stick the tail was the only thing that broke lol it flew thrue a small cypress tree on landing the wing was fine the fuse was fine but the tailfeathers were shredded and floping around in my yard like red confettie lol ...im always one for firsts

-kuzi-
Old 09-15-2005, 06:16 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

how can you crash a slow stick?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:52 PM
kuzikood

very easily when the location you live in has unpredictable wind gusts that come out of no where and can gust to30mph and then go back to dead calm......i live in the north georgia mountains...even the wind is drunk up here
Old 09-15-2005, 07:30 PM
dribbe

Just curious,
Have you seen the PKZ1570?
Note: Complete painted and decaled aiframe ONLY, with motor, and prop. NO Rx, Tx, Servos, Batteries, or Charger.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...g&SubCategory=

Have Fun, David

ORIGINAL: Safety Hawk

I'm probably not gonna get another one..unless they sell an ARF version that I can use my 7CAP with, and I already have several other planes. I was just thinking that the electronics from that plane would work in a GWS Slow Stick as a good bash around plane. Something to tie a streamer to and use for combat. I have a couple of other friends that want to partake in this. It would be the most slow paced combat you've ever seen! I was thinking I might set up the Slow Stick like the P-51...fixed rudder and working ailerons.

SBR_RV...You are very right when it comes to the tail on the P-51. I guess it's due to that built in crumple zone....however that Aerobird Xtreme..I can break the tail on that thing just putting it in the car.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 PM
timothy thompson

ya its not made for windy weather i took the gear out of m ine and put it into a e-flite electrajet
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 PM
kuzikood

the guy next door gave me a electra jet crashed it a couple times got it fixed flying great full throttle sweeping turns rolss etc...till one day i was doing i high speed pass pulled back on the stick and the control horn on the left elevon broke and it rolled and went straight into the ground at full speed.....it only broke into 4 big peices .....problem is the fuse had shrunk in length by 6 inches now thats what i call compression ...so it still sits in my closet...man i loved that plane i want another one wish they still made them

- kuzi-
Old 09-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Safety Hawk

Have you seen the PKZ1570?
I just read the other day about that being available. I first saw that available on the Australian site and so I searched for that part number on Horizons site for awhile. I'm glad they finally put that out, since I really do like the plane, but don't much care for the electronics.

I'll tell ya how. Stick a Park 400 Brushless on it geared 6.6:1 with a 12x6 prop and a TP 3s 2100 pack and then have the tail feathers rip off because you were going too fast. It doesn't take long with this setup to see where the weak spots are.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

Easy. Ever try an outside loop from level flight?[X(]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 PM
kuzikood

yea i actually succeded it once.............but i was like 300 foot up and pulled back level about ten foot off the ground......ive also got it to fly inverted for a while on a 8 cell nimh and 12 6 prop only managed to fly that setup about 3 times till the motor literally died and went up in smoke lol it looked like a nitro engine lol the smoke was pouring off the motor even melted the gearbox a lil lol ...oh well no guts no glory
Old 09-18-2005, 03:33 PM
timothy thompson

ya no problem no power on downside when at bottom off loop go to full power keep full up elev then begin to ease off towards the top. want to try this woth batt fully cherged for max power.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

man o man! sorry about that crash..hope that doesnt happen here as I just bought one at the neat fair today..I was going to ask about li po batteries.it says 3 cell compatible but the guy from northeast sail advised against it saying a 2s is fine but a 3s will fry the motor. so if thats true why in heck do they advertise it as 3 s compatible???I looked at the voltage of the current battery at 10.8 volts..a 3 cell li-po is 11.1 v ..so is he right.its a 480 motor gea
Old 09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
kuzikood

motor life is mostly determined by the load put on it and the heat it is subjected to rather than the voltageyou cn put 14 volts into a "8" volt motor but keep it cool emough and dont put too much strain on the motor i.e. load.... and it will be fine but if you put 4 volts to the "8" volt motor and try to swing a big prop and guesse what ....it goes poof!

-kuzi-
Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Safety Hawk

I don't think a 2S at 7.4 volts in nearly enough. I think the 3S is fine as long as you don't ride around at full throttle the whole time.