Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

beginner choosing.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Menthol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner choosing.....

I Just flew a friends parkzone j3 cub today...
And I'm hooked!

Been messing around rc cars and boats a while now and I want up in the air..

I have been reading the forums for a few hours and searching in info.
But being as many posts as there it's very hard.

Now this question has been asked a thousand times and will most likely be asked again.

My choises are the EasyStar ARF and the GWS SlowStick 400 ARF.
I try to stay to stay away from V-tails.. Buddy of mine has one and the 3ch cub ws way easier to fly.

What I want to do is that once I have learned to fly either of the planes I can just buy newer cooler parkflyer bodies fomies and maybe even 3D foamies.

I have the transmitter a futaba skysport 4 on channel 54 and the reciever for it.. including crystals.

I realize that I will need a mini/micro/naro reciever and servos.

In light of where I want to go what should I choose.
I would like to go to a LHS to buy the stuff so I don't have to wait.. but i guess I can do that too.

The Mountain Models Magpie was mentioned in the forums... but I can't find it locally.

Any handholding would be greatly appreciated.
-M
Old 08-28-2005, 02:51 AM
hargravebl

Default RE: beginner choosing.....

Just my opinion but I would go with the SlowStick....

...I taught myself on a GWS Pico Stick "F" and have had great success ever since. I've worked my way up to a Tigermoth 400 and now just bought a GWS Zero. Best of all I've moved all my electronics from one bird to another as I've gone up.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
shauntot

Menthol, this is just my opinion. i have absolutely no experience from flying rc planes except for the syma supersonic i bought about a couple of weeks ago which i flew only once. i'm also a bit like you, has experience in rc cars but none in planes.

the syma was ok, except it wasn't very realistic because it was only 2ch and flew and an up-and-down wave motion, because it had no elevators and just relied on the motors to climb. and i also crashed it about 8 times (hard crashes) so i wasn't really good obviously

lo and behold, my fiance decides to buy me a shun da piper cub(very, very similar to the parkzone cub) yesterday, i assembled the kit, charged the batt, and flew my first ever "realistic" flight using rc planes. i know i'm not a great flyer, because honestly, it's only my 2nd time to fly a rc plane in my life (syma 1st, piper 2nd) and boy was i hooked. it was really easy to fly, it practically flew on its own until you give it the command to go left/right, up/down. just give it power and away it goes. LITERALLY.

nothing could be easier, and because of this..i am now a solid fan of rc planes. so i say, go with the cub you were planning on, i would recommend it. honest. slow but sure flier.

here's the maiden flight of my cub, sorry if the quality is not that good as i only used a cellphone cam and it was already dusk (why did i even fly??) ... you be the judge of my first ever "real" flight in rc planes hope it helps you decide..

2nd movie is a 3gp/mp4 file so you may need any 3gp/mp4 player such as quicktime..

RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE LINK AS"

1st movie - handlaunch and a bit of a daring 5-10 in. swoop with the wing close to the ground right after launching..then a bit of circling (3mb .mpg file)

[link]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/403547cf_634b/bc/rc_planes/Piper1st+flyt.mpg?bfJKeEDBGkPHffqg[/link]

2nd movie - more circling and overhead passes (731kb mp4 file)

[link]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/403547cf_634b/bc/rc_planes/Piper+1st+flyt2.3gp?bfJKeEDBTIZEuBS9[/link]

shaun
Old 08-28-2005, 11:03 AM
shauntot

Hi Menthol, this is just my opinion...

i have absolutely no experience from flying rc planes except for the syma supersonic i bought about a couple of weeks ago which i flew only once. i'm also a bit like you, has experience in rc cars but none in planes.

the syma was ok, except it wasn't very realistic because it was only 2ch and flew and an up-and-down wave motion, because it had no elevators and just relied on the motors to climb. and i also crashed it about 8 times (hard crashes) so i wasn't really good obviously

lo and behold, my fiance decides to buy me a shun da piper cub yesteday(very, very similar to the parkzone cub), i assembled the kit, charged the batt, and flew my first ever "realistic" flight using rc planes today.

i know i'm not a great flyer, because honestly, it's only my 2nd time to fly a rc plane in my life (syma 1st, piper 2nd) and boy was i hooked. it was really easy to fly, it practically flew on its own until you give it the command to go left/right, up/down. just give it power and away it goes. LITERALLY.

nothing could be easier, and because of this..i am now a solid fan of rc planes. so i say, go with the cub you were planning on, i would recommend it. honest. slow but sure flier.

here's the maiden flight of my cub, sorry if the quality is not that good as i only used a cellphone cam and it was already dusk (why did i even fly??) ... you be the judge of my first ever "real" flight in rc planes hope it helps you decide..

2nd movie is a 3gp/mp4 file so you may need any 3gp/mp4 player such as quicktime..

RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE LINK AS"

1st movie - handlaunch and a bit of a daring 5-10 in. low-pass with the wing close to the ground right after launching..then a bit of circling at around 50-80 ft high (3mb .mpg file)

[link]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/403547cf_634b/bc/rc_planes/Piper1st+flyt.mpg?bfJKeEDBGkPHffqg[/link]

2nd movie - more circling and overhead passes (731kb mp4 file)

[link]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/403547cf_634b/bc/rc_planes/Piper+1st+flyt2.3gp?bfJKeEDBTIZEuBS9[/link]

shaun
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I do not think you can buy Mountain Models planes locally. I have always bought mine from their website.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 AM
slo v rule

Hi,
If the slo stick isn't for you try the slo v This is my first plane and I love it, [8D] the only problem being you can't fly it in winds more than 7mph for a beginner[:-] But is realy a good choice for a beginner (i think) like me!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:57 PM
goflyakite

Hey, I flew the cub but it didn't do so well. I'm thinking of trying the badius from hobby-estore. Anyone flown that one?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Tommyr

"Can't find the server".....