Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM
roushd1r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Thanks for all the responses. I have to get one, so I can get some inflight video. I am so jealous when I see them posted. I can probably get high enough to get good shots of Mt, Rainer. That would be sweet. I also would like to try some dusk/night shots.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Greg and Welcome!
It is great to see that the info everyone here contributes is used and helpful to new flyers!
On your Cub’s mods…Very nice job![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] I’m curious which ESC you went with.

Also the Cubs CG is 2 ¼†This is generated as a result of the plane’s characteristics. Like wing span, length and tail width etc… Changing the internal equipment (motor, ESC, batt. Rx or servos) does not give reason to establish a new CG location…. It appears you caught on to this and that is great to see!
If I recall correctly, the stock Cub prop is 6â€â€¦ I choose to increase from the stock prop by only 1†(7†x 6 pitch) even though my 400XT is rated for a 8x4 and will do more…
As Iseguy mentioned about the prop clearance from the ground, I too felt this was a issue to avoid and thought it looks better as well.

If it flies well don’t adjust your thrust angle… a well flying plane is what we all strive for…now, if you have problems then an adjustment may be in order!

Again, Very Nice Job!

Sray, made it back from the coast and am now at home unwinding from the week! Thanks again for the Walmart Special! Keep in touch and we will give the lipo comparison a try if needed…
Old 06-04-2006, 11:46 PM
greghol
My Feedback: (2)

Wingnut,

Thanks.

I picked up a Ultrafly motor and ESC combo that includes a Frio-10/10 motor and the Apollo 12 Amp ESC. $85 at the LHS. ~$65 (I think at Tower) + $8 shipping. But I wanted it now and the 400XT was out of stock. The LHS had the Coolrunning 12 Amp ESC for the same price as the online price.

[link=http://www.ultraflymodel.com/escs/uflm1300.html]http://www.ultraflymodel.com/escs/uflm1300.html[/link]

[link=http://www.ultraflymodel.com/motors/uflg1430.html]http://www.ultraflymodel.com/motors/uflg1430.html[/link]

My stock Cub prop measures 7" I have an 8"x6 APC slow flight on it now. I think this might be too agressive but Ill see what I have in the box and play with it. The chart on the package shows for 600-900g, highwing model with 3S cell; Up to a 9x6 prop. can be used.

Greg

Old 06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Stingray69

Hi carl,

I have a egrand cub arriving Friday to have around for parts. You may have the fuse from it if you would like. You can replace it back to me when ever you place an order. Also did you corner the market on those emi props. If not , maybe I can swing by there if you can elaborate where on the wall they are hanging. They'll be difficult to get soon. I split one of my 2s lipos and combined them with 2 other 2s packs. So I made two 3s 1300 packs. I still have one 2s pack left after that, but after flying the 3's, it'll be getting plenty of rest. Let's get some air time soon.

Ray
Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
lseguy

Just saw this link...apparently this site has just a few of the same camera I have...

http://www.tufflight.com/5n1vidcam.html
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Stingray69

While your on the subject, I had a descent outing today with some new scenery from the CubCam. A few ball fields, but no stadium. LOL..... I still can't believe my eyes lse!

http://media.putfile.com/WinterSpgPrk1

Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
carlf

SRay.... Awesome flight video....[8D] Now that you've logged a few 3cell brushless flights... tell me what you really think!
Every time I put that cub in the air it is just a thrill... and now seeing others doing the same and having fun... Wow, i gotta tell you, this is an awesome hobby!

BTW: SRay, Thanks on the fuse offer... I ordered the ARF on Monday night and it should be here soon... but thanks! I did stop a get the rest of the props[sm=thumbup.gif] I asked them to try and get some more so I'lll check back with them...
I know yours are holding up well...you may be surprised just how long those 4 props last you....they are tough, and perform too!!!

Catch ya later
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Stingray69

Carl you know how I feel. Can you picture me outside with a fire extenguisher and a soldering iron ripping apart my 2cells. Those props are almost pitched 70 degrees to the hub. I think that's the secret to their strength. Thanks for knabbing them.

Ray

Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 AM
lseguy

Ray:
NICE video. Great scenery. Since my stadium video/crash, I've gotten lazy..haven't flown since, but getting itchy. Ordered more props, another brushless for my next plane (PC9)...a low wing ARF that I've been diddling with for 2 weeks now, and one or two other small items. I have an entire egrandbuy $33 cub sitting in my basement, but I can easily put back together my cub from the stadium crash. I guess I will fly the repaired cub and practice my landing lineups over in the grass field for awhile, push it to its limits, then when the inevitable happens, go ahead and transfer everything to the new cub fuse/body and start regularly taking off and landing on the wheels/from the concrete. In fact, I think I will come home a bit early and finish the cub/go flying this evening.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Stingray69

Here's a vid shot 3 or 4 days ago from the cvs cam set to 448x336.

It's in 3 parts to preserve the divx format. Since the resolution is larger choose 800 size (below putfile screen). ROG takeoff. Inverted 15 sec in part 2. Bouncy dirt landing and no nose over in part3.

Enjoy!

Part1 http://media.putfile.com/CubCam061006

Part2 http://media.putfile.com/CubCam061006b

Part3 http://media.putfile.com/CubCam061006c

Sray
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM
that-guy-steve

Sray - fantastic videos. You're doing what I want to do when I finally get off the ground.

So, here I am with my new powerplant, controller and 3-cell Lipo pack installed in my Cub. I'm ready to go but I can't get the ESC to store the program and arm the motor. When you guys have a little time to kill, please read my post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4388869]HERE[/link]. Maybe you've had experience/success with this and you can help - My new hobby seems to be R/C aircraft mods and repair instead of flying. Wife is rolling her eyes a little too much. Don't get me wrong, I love a good challenge but it should be reasonable (whine).
Old 06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Stingray69

Steve, Roush was having an arming problem too and it had to do with the throttle lever not traveling back enough for the esc to sense 0% throttle on the stock tx. COuld that have something to do with your problem? If so you might read back on page 50 of this forum if you hadn't already. The mod solved his esc problem. If I think of something else I'll post and maybe someone else will have an idea too. Good luck. Don't give up getting that cub flying. This hobby is full of minor setbacks, but once airborne it'll all be worth it.

Ray
Old 06-14-2006, 09:39 AM
that-guy-steve

It's stock (AM) do you think that may be the problem?

I'll be getting a new Tx/Rx in a couple of weeks but in the mean time I was hoping to be sit up otherwise before then.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Stingray69

Steve, I edited my above post. I forgot you explained your giving the stock tx a chance earlier in the forum.

Ray
Old 06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Stingray69

Steve.

I'm married to an eye-roller too. [sm=rolleyes.gif] hahahhaha

Carl, AJ and myself are planning to have a fly day or 2 here in Orlando area 1st part of July, No set days as of yet. Maybe you could think about joining us. We'll help you get the bird up! Four cubs flying at once!!!!!! We'll need an air traffic controller and plenty of Epoxy

Ray
Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 AM
that-guy-steve

Thanks Ray. I do remember that post about the throttle travel-mod on the stock radio (of course after you reminded me). I'll check that out tonight. I have a feeling that may be the prob.

I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
carlf

Hi Steve,

I took a sec and looked over your post.

Your brushless motor & ESC and Lipo are a good upgrade. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] The stock SD Rx and Tx should be compatible. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I believe the SD Tx is the culprit. I would suggest that you focus first on the issue of ARMING the motor. (try the modification to the throttle)

I do believe doing this will allow you to arm the motor. Once over that hurdle I believe the programing sequence will fall in place for you..

as an FYI: right out of the box the ESC should work (given all connection are correct) even if the programming differs from what you would desire it to be.

so Get it to arm first then do the programming...

Give it a try, ask some follow ups if needed!

SRay,, I got my Egrand order in on Monday so I can get my Cub's fuse replaced now... I should be ready to re-maiden it soon! How are those props holding up? I bet you are still on the first one... I stopped by Graves and they have restocked them (I had picked up the last 6 that they had).

I plan on having my fleet all airborne again soon... I ordered a replacement fuse for my Badius and when it came in, it was damaged in shippment.. now I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive.

So I have my Slow Stick, I will be getting my Rocket Cub and Badius rebuilt soon. and I am slowly getting the Formosa ready.... I will be doing some flying in July!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Stingray69

Carl, I was going to ask if your parts came in and offer my fuse to you again. Egrand came through! Their reseller rating is terrible because of slow shipping and unshipped items. Glad they've improved. I got my cub in aout 4 days. We are part heavy now with props and all. Should be set for a while. Glad graves restocked. I'll still take some of those props you bought if your sitting on 2 many. I can also pick up some myself. Either way. And yes, still on the first prop and it hasn't distorted a bit.

BTW, have you thought about painting the new cub? I have but haven't made up my mind. I think I need a darker color for altitude. Something easier to spot when it's way up there.

If you maiden the new Rcub this weekend let me know. Maybe I can meet you at your field for a few hours if it's a morning. My wife works in the pm so I have kid duty the rest of the day.

Sray
Old 06-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Stingray69

For you guys interested in aerial movies and don't want to do the extensive mod on a hard to find 3.4 version cvs cam like mine Target is now selling the newer and better camcorder made by Pure Digital (maker of the cvs one time use model I modded) It's is designed for multi use and no hacking needed unless you want to shed some of the case to lose some weight.

Target.com has the Pure Digital Point and Shoot Video Camcorder 225 for $130 - 10% code TCDEBEVT [Exp 6/14] - $20 rebate [Exp 7/15] = $97 + shipping. One-touch recording, Zoom in and zoom out, Instant playback and delete. Holds up to 30 minutes, USB arm connects to PC, Watch videos instantly on TV.

I know it's kinda of pricey, but it has improved 640x480 res with more memmory + zoom. The CVS I have is 320x240 and only 128mb of memory and has to be hacked and soldered on and is going for around $60-$80 + shipping on EBay now. So for just a few more bucks and less headaches it's worthy of consideration,

Link to the item at Target http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000FD8MJS

Sray
Old 06-15-2006, 06:15 PM
greghol

Sray:

Thanks for the heads up on the Pure Digital camcorder. I dug around and found out that Costco (www.costco.com) also carries the unit but at $99.99! With the $20 off from Pure Digital it would be about $80 plus tax on $100. I check my local Costcos in Sacramento but they didnt have them and didnt know if and when they would. They checked for the closest store that had them and they where in Reno (2hrs) and in Modesto (1.5 hrs). I would call your local Costco and see if they have it. The item number is #100155.

I may go the online target route.

Greg
Old 06-17-2006, 03:33 PM
saberplane

Hey guys

I haven't posted in a while. I had to take a break, but am getting back into it and am having a problem. I am trying to go brushless.

This is my setup: gws ICS-300L Speed Controller, Hitec 72mhz HFS-04mG FM Receiver, Hitec Flash 5 transmitter, 2 cell Lipo and a NEW brushless Motor (Similar to what Ise bought) Bm2408-21

Note: Carl is very familiar with these items (except for the motor) and helped me a lot.

I can't get this new motor to run. The New motor has a Red wire, Black wire and a white wire- the stock motor only had a black and red. Where does the white wire go? I did experiment with turning the transmitter on, plugging in the Lipo and having the throttle on and off in different combinations. The most I can get is a pulse or surge from the motor.

Thanks in advance for any clues.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:29 PM
greghol

Hello Saberplane,

It looks like you need to pick up a brushless motor controller for your new brushless motor. The GWS ISC-300L is for Brushed motors and thus only has 2 wires for the motor. Brushless motors controllers have 3 wires to mate with the motor.

Greg
Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
carlf

Hi Saber!

Greghol is right on the money! You need a brushless ESC... Beware of the amps your new motor can draw... because the brushless ESC you pick up must be capable of exceeding the amperage demand of the motor....

I think it helps to figure out the output capacity of the lipo you have first.
then Know the amperage range of your brushless motor (this varies depending on the prop size and pitch)

If you overload the Lipo is can be very dangerous

Then do a motor and prop combination that works with your lipo!
Ask away!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Stingray69

Hi guys. Bad news. The cub did a fly away on me yesterday. I had it up to a usual soaring height. 5-600ft or so. In the part of my circuit when I was facing the sun. I guess the sun burned my retina long enough for it to disappear on me. I had constant eye contact with it until it just went invisible on me. I kept gazing where it should have been. Cut the throttle, gave down elevator and left rudder to hopefully keep it spinning nearby but never saw it again. After about 5 min of no show I hit the road in the car with the tx trying to throttle and listen for the motor. After a 3 hours I gave up, but went out again later with no luck. I scanned the area on bike today looking at every treetop thoroughly. Still no sign. [] Oh well. I have my phone number written large on the bottom of the fuse with a sharpie so hopefully a neighbor with good intentions will find it and phone me one day.

I guess my new egrand cub will go into service sooner than I thought. Was saving it for parts. Went to LHS today and picked up 2 9g servos, a rx/crystal and a prop adapter. Raidentech has the 400xt for $29 so it's been ordered and a esc from gwsexpert.com. I have a 400xt also on back order from hobbly lobby at $17 but I can't count on them to have it soon. Hopefully I'll have it ready to maiden by next weekend. Thinking about getting a lost plane alarm http://www.californiasailplanes.com/...l%20alarm.html for the next go around.

Now that my rc budget is shot to heck for the next few months. I'll have to be extra carefull for a while. Those fly aways sure are depressing. I didn't start to feel normal until I was mounting the new servos this evening. I cut a crossbar off an old cub servo mount and epoxy'd into position. The right servo arm (not attached for the picture) will have to be trimmed just a hair for side clearance.

Sray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72833.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	479028  
Old 06-17-2006, 09:13 PM
carlf

Ray, That is terrible news!!! Hopefully it will be found and returned to you! The Egrand kit is quite nice...I just got mine set back up by switching everything over from my old Cub. Still have to check the CG balance and then it should be ready... I still have many spare parts (including a 400XT and ESC) if you need any! Good luck! Good luck with the rebuild. Bud!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.