Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Releases New F27 Stryker Model!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Releases New F27 Stryker Model!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:38 PM
dribbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Releases New F27 Stryker Model!

ORIGINAL: AeroCat

Dribbe,

Do you know if the Rx/ESC in the Super Decathlon is Lipo compatible? Have you guys done any testing on this? The manual says it has a jumper for 3cell Lipo, but I'm not sure.
I don't think so.... need to review the manual... will try to look into it....
Old 09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

My first F27-B had a deffective TX/RX set. Once it got past about 200 feet the plane went out of control into a spiral and crashed. Tried it a second time and the same thing happened. Unit was easily repaired, but I was afraid to fly it again.

I called Parkzone customer support and they told me to send the entire unit back for replacement right away.

I got my new F27-B yesterday. Got it ready last night for its maiden flight which took place this afternoon. It was a little windy, but the plane performed very well even against the wind. Tried both the A and B settings -- big difference between them. I just tried some loops and rolls and experienced no problems at all. Once the battery started to loose its power, the plane just floated in for a nice landing.

No question about it ... I'll be having some fun with the Stryker!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 PM
redgiki

ORIGINAL: AeroCat
Do you know if the Rx/ESC in the Super Decathlon is Lipo compatible? Have you guys done any testing on this? The manual says it has a jumper for 3cell Lipo, but I'm not sure.
I don't know about the Rx/ESC for the Super Decathlon, but since the motor is a 370-class, I can tell you from experience that an 11.1V 3S LiPo will burn it up at the stock prop size! You need to go to a smaller prop if you want to be able to use a LiPo. This is why on the Stryker they provide a 5.3x3.3 prop vs. the regular 5.9x3 prop for LiPo usage.

You can confirm this by hooking up a LiPo, turning off the lights, and cranking up the throttle. It's a lightning show in there! I had the bad LiPo experiences on my J-3 cub and Slow Stick. You must reduce the size of your prop, or turn your motor into a motor-shaped paperweight in less than a dozen flights.

Now, LiPo compatability on your ESC isn't necessarily required if you invest in a kitchen timer to tape to your transmitter, and verify the ESC can handle the voltage level. A 3S LiPo is roughly equivalent to a 10 or 11-cell NiMH. Put on the prop you want, and use a multimeter to measure the amp draw. Do the math to figure out how long a flight you can get using the mAh rating at wide-open throttle with static thrust measurements. That will be a conservative figure for the maximum flight time you can get from your bird. Set the timer every time you fly.

I do this on my Stryker with LiPos all the time. It does have a low-voltage cutoff, but I have never actually reached it. I set my timer for 16 minutes and go have fun.

Of course, not having a low-voltage cutoff precludes "duration flights", where you fly just to see how long you can fly. The longest I've gotten out of my B-series Stryker is 29 minutes, using slope lift from a tiny slope at my flying field, maybe having caught a few thermals, a lot of very low-throttle putting around, and no aerobatics. It was boring for my kids watching me, but fun for me to see how long I could stay in the air I didn't actually hit the low-voltage cutoff, but I did hit the "has no power and isn't fun to fly anymore" point.

--
Matt B.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:15 AM
AeroCat
My Feedback: (2)

redgiki,

I was actually thinking about putting that Decathlon ESC in my Stryker, but I'm not sure how the amp draw compares for the two motors (370 and 480) and how many amps that ESC can handle. I also have the Lipo prop.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
1LO64

Have another quick question. The port on the transmitter......can it be used with a simulator(s)? If so, which ones?? What will I need to get them to work?

Thanks,
James
Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously doubt you could use a ParkZone Tx with a sim.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: 1LO64

Have another quick question. The port on the transmitter......can it be used with a simulator(s)? If so, which ones?? What will I need to get them to work?

Thanks,
James
The plug is an empty hole, there's nothing there. [&:]
Old 10-02-2005, 07:48 PM
jimeivey

Ladies and Gents,

Running into some major problems with the stock stryker servos. I've pulled two apart and the teath are busting off the first tier gear? Just seams like it's going to be an issue based on replacing one already and having another start skipping today. Just went LiPo on the stock B model, could that have anything to do with servo degregation? I can't stand servo problems.......

Thanks for any insight in replacement options that would be considered an upgrade and still work with the four wire stock servo receiver.

Regards,
Yard Dard
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
jimeivey

Any help on options for servo's? I keep losing the stock servos and nothing seems to be compatible with the stock receiver. I went lipo recently on the B model. Could that contribute to servo degradation? This seem to be an issue with two servos going down [:@]already.

Also, any idea on where how to get the hinges to replace a set of elevons?

Regards,
Yard Dart
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 AM
sjchmura

How is your throw? I had no problems till I maxed out my throw - but still got alsmost 200 flights on the stock servors all with 8 or 9 cell NIMH and alot iwth lipo.

The only "solution" is a complete electronic change or beg parkzone NOT to make gears out of cardboard!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Glacier Girl

ORIGINAL: jimeivey

Any help on options for servo's? I keep losing the stock servos and nothing seems to be compatible with the stock receiver. I went lipo recently on the B model. Could that contribute to servo degradation? This seem to be an issue with two servos going down [:@]already.

Also, any idea on where how to get the hinges to replace a set of elevons?

Regards,
Yard Dart
Yard Dart,
Nothing else will work with the PZ Rx, cheapest way out if you are going to stick with the stock electronics, is to stock up on the gear sets for the servos. They can be bought seperately.
Sjchmura is the man, on stock set up longevity, he's the only one I know that was able to make them last. The rest of us trashed them quite frequently. Not so perfect landings seem to kill them.

Hinges? Most of us using hinges use Dubro pinned hinges.
Part # for servo gear sets PKZ1131
Part # for hinges DUB117
Both from Horizon.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 PM
1LO64

Might as well post this here too......

LHS is out of them and thought I'd ask here before I bought something else online that is overpriced. I'm looking for the 8 cell pack (upgrade) that can be used with the stock charger. I figured since a majority of people upgraded to LIPO's there should be plenty of these available??
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Bullwhip

sjchmura, []
Save one of the damaged PZ servos for me. I would like to perform a teardown and inspection of the gears and associated parts. Bring it next time you are at the house.

Bullwhip [>:]
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Still hoping 1 day that kit version will be availiable..with all parts [except electronics} and painted fuselage...many stryker owners cant get the stk servos to hold up//which is just further proof of my opinion that this is a great flying airframe..packaged with mostly cheapo throaway electronics...and for a price of $169.00 {without shipping/taxes} its not a great bargain..compared to lets say a sky-scooter pro2..that comes with hitec hs55 servos and a 72mhz tx/rec setup..all in a RTF package for $99...LETS GO PARKZONE...give consumers a choice..
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
jimeivey

GG,

I'll be ordering some new gear kits. Perhaps the harder than normal landing are jacking up the servos. Sensitive little fella with the stock servos. Thanks for the Dubro Hinge advise. I guess that means to stay away from the new stock F-27B hinges. On another note, I was told that the B model uses the same Rx as the P-51. So, I bought the P-51 battery and it seems to fly pretty strong with it. Is this bad for the motor, to go with the 9 cell NiMh from the p-57?

Regards,
Yard Dart
Old 10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
jdix42

You shouldnt have any problems because if I'm not mistaken the motors are the same in the 51 and the f27 except the p51 motor has a gear driven prop instead of a direct drive like the f27
Old 10-05-2005, 08:22 AM
critterhunter

I've only gone through two servos on the stock bird. Servo stripping is due mainly to bad crashes, and I've put mine through ALOT. I just stripped a Hitec HS81 on my BP21 Stryker, so it isn't a one sided story. The stock bird will hold up to some very big abuse and I think it's a great bargain for an all in one unit. However, hardly fly it now as the BP21 Stryker is just SO much faster.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
mr.rc-cam

Edit/Update: Found what I needed, so my search for the Stryker R/C parts is over.
I'm looking for the complete radio system (Tx, Rx, servos, motor, etc) for ParkZone Stryker F27B or ParkZone P-51D. I suspect that those of you that have converted the stock model to a brushless motor will have all this stuffed away in a box. If you want to sell or trade it, please PM me. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Hey rc-cam..I guess youll have time to reply to somones p.m to you..if its something you want/need..thats nice..ashame you dont have time to answer other peoples p.m"s when they ask your advice on something or a simple question...knew there had to be a reason you came to this thread and posted...you wanted something..lol..
Old 10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
mr.rc-cam

Music publisher, I am a bit taken back by your comment. Frankly, I respond to ALL private messages and emails I that I get (dozens every single day). If you have sent me a message, then it never made it to my in basket. I am sorry if you feel I have ignored you; that is not my style and not my intentions. Nothing from you is in my RCU in-basket.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

it was from rcgroups...I asked your opinion on lengthening a 27mhz rec. antenna..that was at 15c.m.s stk..and what you felt would be the best amount of length to add to it for best reception/...sent you this p.m about 2 days ago..your article on antennas was for 72mhz systems..mostly parkflyers..this is for a mini 9inch r/c plane on 27 mhz...
Old 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
mr.rc-cam

I asked your opinion on lengthening a 27mhz rec. antenna..that was at 15c.m.s stk..and what you felt would be the best amount of length to add to it for best reception
I never received your PM at rcgroups (it is not in my in-basket). To answer your question: I have found that the antennas on the cheap R/C models can be made 4X their normal length and the range will improve remarkably. However, these are cost constrained products and some receiver designs are so poor that they will become unstable if the antenna length is increased. Just perform careful range tests as you increase the Rx's aerial length and ensure that operation is reliable. And in case you are looking for the idealized 1/4 wavelength for a 27Mhz aerial, that would be approx 104 inches.

I apologize for taking this Stryker thread off topic. Any further discussions from me about the missed PM will be done privately. And I really am interested in the R/C system taken from a ParkZone Stryker or P-51. So, anyone that has one for sale, well I am PayPal ready.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Well,,thank you Mr. rc-cam..and please accept my apologizies..I know you are more expirienced in these things..and thats why your answer was so important to me...thanks again...
Old 10-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Glacier Girl

ORIGINAL: jimeivey

GG,

I'll be ordering some new gear kits. Perhaps the harder than normal landing are jacking up the servos. Sensitive little fella with the stock servos. Thanks for the Dubro Hinge advise. I guess that means to stay away from the new stock F-27B hinges. On another note, I was told that the B model uses the same Rx as the P-51. So, I bought the P-51 battery and it seems to fly pretty strong with it. Is this bad for the motor, to go with the 9 cell NiMh from the p-57?

Regards,
Yard Dart
The new B model uses a different prop then the original version. It keeps the amps down to make the motor last longer. Running the original prop may cause a higher amp drawl, which would reduce the life of the stock motor.
As for the new PZ hinges, I've yet to see them, so I can't really say yea or nay to them.
But on that note, I just last week, ordered 3 fuselages from LHS, they only deal with Horizon.
Received 3 Gen2 fuselages, not the Gen3's. These came from Horizon, were not old stock at the store. Hmmmmm, I thought the 3's replaced the 2's.
Oh well I like the Gen2s better, and at least they weren't the Gen1's.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 PM
AndyL

Mr. Rc-cam, You said a 1/4 wavelength antenna for 27 mHz would be 104 inches. Could you improve reception by making your receiver antenna 104? This would seem easier than lengthening the TX. Is the answer any different for AM vs. FM systems? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.