Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Extreme VS Aerobird Challanger

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird Extreme VS Aerobird Challanger

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
zenwong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Extreme VS Aerobird Challanger

Hello, im going out thursday and purchasing a rc plane!

(lvl2 skill, but looking for something that can bust out some sick tricks with good control and speed when flying into the wind)

*will be flying in large grassy open area 1000ft in all directions.

Just some info please on which one to get..
The ABX has really got my attention as its just what im looking for.. but the large size may not fit into my small 2 seat car and may also be too heavy for my flying taste (read that it tends to want to dive) also i read alot about some major bugs with the ABX, is it really that bugged out? (engine cutoff, fried chips..)

On the other hand the Aerobird Challanger looks like a good step up from the Firebird Commander that i have now.. looks the same but red.. how is it compared to the commander? controls alot better? flight times longer? any bugs?

And batterys.. im going to get the upgrade batt for whichever model i decide to get.. but do they really add some time to the flight times and or power? If anyone has either of these planes with the higher volt batt upgrade please fill me in

Sorry to rammble on, but im excited to get a new rc plane now that i have found a 1000ft field for flight!

Thanks in advance
-Zen Wong
Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Phred
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Aerobird Extreme VS Aerobird Challanger

I did some side by side tach comparisons with batterys for my ABC. The 7.2v would turn about 7000/7200, the 8.4 would do 7400/7600. That does translate into more speed in the air, and also longer flights, if you don't fly at WOT which I do most of the time. I have retired my 7.2v batt, and only use the 8.4 batts now. BTW, 8.4v batterys can be bought at www.cheapbatterypacks.com for $15.00, HALF the price of the factory batterys. They also have 1150MaH, compared to the 900MaH factory packs.
Phred
Old 09-13-2005, 01:33 AM
zenwong

Sounds good, whats your opinion on the ABX vs ABC?

also what flight times you getting with that batt? (trick run and glide run)
Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 AM
netdudeuk

I cannot compare the ABX with the ABC as I have not used the latter. However, I can add a couple of things as we have also been using a couple of FBCs.

Comparing them, I would say that :

the FBC is indeed easy to launch compared with the ABX. But, if you give it some up trim when hand launching you should be ok as long as you also give it a hard push into wind
the ABX is much better in windy conditions. So far, wind has been the cause of all the damage caused to the FBCs. They just cannot handle much.
the ABX is way more responsive plus you get the elevators as well
the FBC looks well weedy in comparison with the ABX but that may be an issue in terms of transport

Personally, I've been very pleased with the ABX so far, despite having to get it swapped for a new one due to radio signal loss problems. They turned it round in the same week. Also, I suspect that the 'tendancy to dive' may be a myth. If it's trimmed ok then it can soar for ages.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
AJ1202

Hi Zenwong
Not trying to butt in but thought I would share a little known secret
FB commander can do wing stalls and loops with minimal mods but it definitly doesn't handle wind well
I have been fly commander for a while and was looking to move to ABX or ABC or even FBC2 but made a couple minor changes to mine one day and took it out and couldn't believe what I was able to make it do ( no wind needed)
All I did was make simple adj to trim on tail and tightened wires at flaps till they were very touchy in responce
Now at full throttle it will climb way to fast at low altitude so you have to adjust how you launch and take it up but once up
you can full throttle and just before loosing pull hard rudder and it will wing stall and from that drop you can full throttle and it move into a nice clean roll, not a snap roll at top from stall but a full roll, and if battery is good you can get a couple in a row
Again sorry to interupt I just know it was a thrill to make my commander do this
tried putting on ABC tail but it kept dropping into spirals (too responsive for rest of bird)
About winds I had mine up about 200ft and high winds came up and all I could do was watch it fly away, tryed to stall it and spiral it back but wind wouldn't let it break plain
It's still MIA
Now flying a SDC cub
Have a good one and happy Flying

Old 09-13-2005, 12:35 PM
zenwong

Thanks alot guys, i think im going to shoot for the Aerobird Challenger.

It has elevation, can perform loops and stalls (not that ill do that much at the start) and never read a post about radio signal.

If i went out and paid 180$ for the ABX i would be really pissed if i lost radio signal, or the engine cut off and on..
I also hear if you crash the ABX just once, its done for.. so far the avg flight time i have seen from post on this site is about 15-20 seconds then it will either cutoff engine or fly out of control and dive, then after that its totaled

I dont know if that would be an issue as im going to be flying in an area which has about.. 3ft tall grass all around in 1000ft only area i would be worried about crashing is the launch area which has about putting grounds sized grass area...

But the reason im gettin a new plane is because i want one that can really fly, started out with some walmart planes def not the better mix as they all crashed and burned within the first 5-10 flights.. i have had the FBC and it flew great.. but i wanted to try something with a little more control, the ABC seems to be the best of the lot, but its also got its problems, as if you do anything it was made to do, such as loops or spins i hear the wing will snap right in half and plane becomes a flying bunnie (and bunnies dont fly well)

Are these hobbyzone planes just bad planes? or are all these people just bad flyiers?
How often does the ABX crash compared to the ABC? and is it true that the ABX does not take crashes as well as the ABC?

sorry for so many questions but ive been saving for awhile to get a nice plane thats not gonna end up like all those walmart type planes lol. from what i hear now with these line of planes is that the more you pay the worst they get

-Zen Wong
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
netdudeuk

I think that you need to stop worrying about things going wrong [8D] Look forward to better flying !

I can't promise you anything but they must have sold loads of them and all those happy with them will not be telling you that. I know that our FBCs have been pretty robust and hopefully the same will be true of the ABC.

Have you considered though that while you made the FBC a better to fly model, adding that shim to make it climb faster may have been the cause of it's demise ?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
AJ1202

Hi Netdudeuk
I thought about that, trim being cause of MIA Commander but truthfully I knew better to have it up that day because wind had been picking up off and on with some high gust. The main reason for lost bird was stupidity on my part. I have to agree about one thing Stop worrying about what might be and go fly and have fun, my bird kept loosing signal or motor kept shutting off caused many unexpected landings and many crashes but as it turned out it was just the terminals in plug of battery stretched by some past accident
Old 09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
netdudeuk

Hi AJ1205

Don't you just hate it when you can't resist giving it a blast even when the wind is too high ??

I just hand launched one of the FBCs to test the glide / trim and the wind flipped it to one side and the canopy 'hinge' broke. What a PITA !!! Not even something that I can just buy and replace.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
AJ1202

Hi netdudeuk
I know sometimes the urge overrides common sence, My canopy broke off durring a crash as well, not the best design, I took a narrow strip of duct tape and put it on inside of canopy and body then used some wide car body pinstripe on the outside and it fixed it with minimal tackiness, I have to say however that my bird took some major beatings before I really got it down. 3 wings 2 tails motor housing caved in front nose split open but she just kept going after each repair. I will very likely buy another but will most likely move on to extreme or chalanger for the real control not mod and slight of hand like I did with commander, but for now I am happy learning to fly my cub

Ace...not to indicate flying ability....YET
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
zenwong

Well guys thanks for the input,

I went out today and picked up my aerobird challenger! Very nice looking bird and im glad its not red as i thought ! Nice bright orange color that i wont miss in the sky..

charged it up about 3 times and ran it dry, didnt get to fly it as of yet but im sure it will fly with ease if its anything like the commander.
Also i noticed that the wing for the commander and the challenger differ.. challenger is a little longer with wing cuts on it, just wondering if i could use a commander wing? and would it be a stronger wing? as i feel the challenger wing isnt as strong.

I love how the challenger comes with the rear wheel for take offs, im going out tomorrow and pickin up the upgrade batt and maybe an extra wing as im sure ill need it.. then its off to the field my buddy has been flying his commander at and his friend has some kinda megatech radio shack plane that he wants us to show him how to get it off the ground as its never been able to fly for more than 1 min LOL.

I may even pick up the j3 cub tomorrow just to stuff under my bed untill im ready for it, very nice plane indeed. Anyone have any input about this cub please let me know about it. Yes im a newcomer but im not gonna try to fly it untill i master the challenger.
Just want something on the side i can move up to when the time is right and be able to move the electonics to another plane when that time comes!

happy flying
-Zen
Old 09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
AJ1202

Hi Zenwong
Look at Shun Da thread and you can find out a lot about J-3 cub
Good choice by the way, they are sweet and the Shun Da is a fine bird
Also I suggest you look at couple other threads on ABC ABX FBC that are current here, there are some good suggestions on how to strengthen your wings before you fly the first time to make them last, I picked up some good info today just looking through them. I especialy like the idea of using cabon rod or ribbed tape on bottom side of wing. I am going to be getting another one soon and I know I will reinforce wing before I put it on
Good luck tomorrow
Ace
Old 09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
zenwong

Yep, i just read some good info for the carbon fiber mod and will be doing that tomorrow before first flight.. also i would like to do the V tail mod with the carbon fiber rod inbetween the V as i hear that the rear wing gets morphed out of plane over time.

can anyone tell me step by step how to do that tail boom mod? so that it always stays in place? something about ribbon ties but i didnt understand it.

Thanks for all your help everyone and suggestions!
I MUST GET THE CUBBY! >8^]

BTW im talking about the parkzone j3 cub, anygood?
-Zen

Old 09-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Phred
My Feedback: (2)

The tailboom mod is best explained with a pic. I've done a couple other mods not seen here. Included is extra venting to cool the motor when making multiple flights on 8.4v packs. Also the washer/vent/motor mount at the rear has been a sucess.
Phred
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59814.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	324321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53469.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	324322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88850.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	324323  
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
zenwong

i see just drill a hole and tie? ill have to do this mod today also while im out at the store.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 PM
camlf

To keep the 45 degree on the rear tail. I took a Guitar string, ask for a size 9 High E string for about a buck at the local music shop. I made a 1/8 in loop in one end and pushed right through the bottom of the tail about 3/4 up center where the decal stops. Then pushed through the same spot on the other "V" tail made a small loop on the bottom and cut the excess off. Put a dob of expoxy on the wire on the top surface. Keeps the V from opening up under "G's" So far so good. I have seen this Mod somewhere on the web once already.

I have had more problems with my wing folding after a loop. to fast I guess. The 18 inch craft ruler trick is to heavy. I tryed a paint stirring stick across the top that worked well. Tonight I custom fabed some thin plastic that should be strog enough and lighter. I have been happy with my two week old Aerobird Challenger. More inputs! keep them coming.