Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slo-V mods & hop-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:26 PM
hollywoodb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slo-V mods & hop-ups?

While I enjoy my Slo-V, I'm fairly new to the hobby and looking for more info on how to get more out of the plane.... what should I be looking for in better motors, longer-lasting batteries, etc etc? Will the stock motor accept 7.4V 2100mah lipo batteries for longer runtimes without damaging it? Any info, links, etc, concerning modifications people have done to the Slo-V are greatly appreciated... I've seen quite a few threads like this for the GWS Slow Stick, but I'm not sure which SS mods would work effectively on the Slo-V, and I'm looking for some new ideas. Right now I'm working on making float/ski assemblies for this winter
Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 PM
slo v rule

Default RE: Slo-V mods & hop-ups?

Hi,
Try the slo-v reveiw abouth this post
Old 09-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

The 2s pack would work well volt wise, but may be a little heavy.
If you want to switch to a better motor, look at the Venom micro fireball, if you want to stay with the stock electronics. www.venom-racing.com
If you want to really boost performance, you'll need to switch out everything.
I run an E-flight rimfire out runner and esc, Kokam 3s1500 pack, Futaba 4channel Rx, Hitec 81 servos, Gws 12x6 prop.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:35 PM
hollywoodb

well, trying not to spend too much, how would run times & performance improve if I were to equip the venom racing micro fireball motor, as well as the venom 1200mah 8.4v flight pack batteries? would this set up warrant a different prop, and if so I could use some recommendations as I'm still in the learning phase of the hobby.

on that topic, once equipped, how would I go about finding the proper positioning of the main wing? also, what is the proper way to trim the v-tail ? it seems that the slo-v's flying characteristics are varying wildly for me from flight to flight, which I assume is do to movement of the main wing. since the pushrods that control the v-tail's surfaces run through the mounts for the main wing, I assume that movement of these mounts would affect the v-tail's trim. notice I use the word assume a lot here, because I'm not really sure... I've been trimming the plane by eye-balling it and the 'feel' in the air, but I'm getting different results every time I fly.

links to the venom stuff:
http://www.venom-racing.com/products...otor/index.htm
http://www.venom-racing.com/products...acks/index.htm
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

The Venom will be like night and day. Switching to a higher pitched prop would help too.
The packs maybe a little too heavy, I belive they are a larger size cell.
Try the Venom on the stock 7 cell pack, if you do not want to go to a lipo.

Being tough to trim is an indication of being tail heavy, the main wing is too far forward.
To get a close CG measurement, you use the 1/3 chord rule. Chord is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the main wing. 1/3 of this distance will give you a good starting point for proper CG. Opps, CG means center of gravity. That is the spot where the bird will balance if supported by a finger tip under each side of the wing, with the battery installed.
For an example, say the chord measurement you get is 9" front to back, 1/3 of that is 3".
So you mark a spot on each wing bottom, 3" back, do this close to the fuselage. Now with everything installed on the bird, try to balance the bird by picking it up with one finger tip on each spot you marked. If the tail drops, you need to move the wing back a notch, and recheck it. If the nose drops , move the wing forward. Keep adjusting until it balances on your finger tips. Now you have the CG set. For begining set it a hair nose heavy, makes it more stable.
Once you get the hang of it , readjust it tail heavy, and it will react to your inputs much quicker.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:53 PM
hollywoodb

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

The Venom will be like night and day. Switching to a higher pitched prop would help too.
The packs maybe a little too heavy, I belive they are a larger size cell.
Try the Venom on the stock 7 cell pack, if you do not want to go to a lipo.
what prop would you recommend? I can't find any info on the pitch of the stock prop...
also, about the weight of the packs, the manual lists the 8.4v 600mah 7-cell as an option, however the venom packs are double the mah rating. are you saying the 7-cell may be to heavy or that the venom pack may weigh more than the listed 7-cell (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=PKZ1021)

also, will the added power warrant any extra wing support or will the plastic adhesive support braces be enough? I was thinking if necessary I could rig strong fishing line from the fuselage to about the 1/2 point of the wing (would look like a shallow 'V' from the front or rear) if I could find a lightweight and secure solution of attaching the line to the wing without causing it to be a structural weak point. weight gain would be minimal and very near the CG. Also, due to the added power of the venom motor, would runtimes be longer or shorter (assuming I wouldn't need to often run it full-power)?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
SparkedFlyer

You don't need any extra support for the wing. If you are going to use a Lipo, use a 2 cell 7.4v 1320mah or 2100mah by thunder power, or kokam 1500 mah. Those weigh less than the stock 7 cell 8.v battery (and less than all other lipos). You may lose a litlle power at first (8.4v vs. 7.4), but those nimh packs seem to lose their high voltage after a couple of minutes any way, so after those two minutes of flight you won't be able to tell the difference and you'll get two or three times the flight times with 1320, 1500, or 2100 mah lipo packs.