Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

hot glue

Old 09-29-2005, 09:35 AM
deli_conker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot glue

Anybody else use this stuff?
I am using it in the rebuild of my slow stick and I was wondering how well it stands up to the rigors of flight and the inevitability of, ummm, not so perfect landings...
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
AJ1202

Default RE: hot glue

Personaly I wouldn't trust hot glue for building structure support
I use 5 min 2 part plastic epoxy, seems to work great
Good luck with your decathalon as well
I'd be carefull messing with wiring on the servos, a lot of times electrical components just aren't compatible
Ace
Old 09-29-2005, 02:38 PM
deli_conker

I'm not using the glue to actually hold the plane together, but more as something to affix certain things. Things like the landing gear and the servos (couldn't screw them in, was originally using super glue). I also had to get some new piano wire to use as pushrods. The only wire avialable was a little too slim and had a tendency to bend rather than push. I bought some aluminum tubing and ran them inside of it. It works great. The tubing is hot glued to 2 parts of the frame on either side of the model.

A servo is just a motor connected to gears isn't it? If that's true then it would just be figuring our what wire goes where. I don't know for sure, but I'm going to try some things out. Give it some trial and error and see what I come up with. It's not like there will be an explosion if I mess something up. Worst that will happen is that I burn up some replacable electronics.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I've used hot glue to mount servos in the past... but it is a bit heavy...I use a 2 sided sticky tape and a spot of CA now...

but the hot glue should be fine for servos......
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
trentzyoung

I have actually used hot glue to assemble foamies made of fanfold insulation foam. Of course i used epoxy for mounting motor sticks and LG plates and i even stuck down the servos with it, but i used all hot glue to attach the side stiffeners, wings and horizontal stab. The glue is pretty tough b/c i accidentally switched the throttle reverse switch while the esc was armed and sent my newly completed plane nose first into the dirt. it broke foam, but not at the glue joints
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note: you may be asking for RF interference by running a steel pushrod in aluminum tubing, especially if anywhere near the antenna. Contact between dissimilar metals has been shown to create create glitching. There was further discussion on the issue, but this link might make you re-think the pushrod setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13