Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GWS Slow Stick With Ailerons

Recently I had a couple of rostered days off from work so I decided to have a go at adding ailerons to the Slow Stick. Off I went to the LHS and picked up the following...

2 x Micro Servos $40.00
    1 x 0.38 Pushrod Wire $1.00
    1 x Aileron Y-Harness $11.00
    1 x Set Du-Bro Mini Ezy-Connectors $6.00

...I was ready to go!!

I traced around the servos and cut out two small servo-sized rectangle sections of the wing to accommodate the servos and epoxy'd them in place.

Next I cut the ailerons away from the main wing and hinged them back on with clear packing tape. I cut two small slots in the ailerons and attached the control horns and keepers (Left over from the original Slow Stick build kit) and another dab of epoxy was added to secure them in place.

I cut two pushrods to length and attached then to the control horns with two 90 degree bends to secure them in place. I added the two servo arms and attached the Ezy-Connectors then threaded the pushrods through and tightened the locking screws at roughly where I thought the centre point would be.

I connected the Y-harness to both servos and plugged it into channel two of the RX, fired up the TX and connected the flight battery ensuring that the trims were all centered.

Only a small amount of adjustment was needed on the Ezy-Connectors and it seemed to be spot on!! A control test looked promising and so I went ahead than installed the screws to lock the servo arms in place.

My set-up is: Left Stick=Elevator & Rudder Right Stick=Throttle & Ailerons.

You can view full sized version of these images here... http://www.rchobbyhub.com/modules.ph...bum.php&page=1

There you go.... $58.00 and thirty minutes later I now have a full house 4-channel Slow Stick aileron trainer to play with.

The flight test; I'm pleased to announce that my Slow Stick test flight with added ailerons was a complete success!! I've heard a few people say that this mod is a waste of time but I found that they worked very well indeed.

While the rolls are not super fast it will roll reasonably easy and doesn't lose a lot of airspeed while doing so. I guess a lot of it has to do with my TX which has no dual rates to set. (GWS 4 Ch Dreamstarter) You always have full travel at your disposal which I don't really see as a disadvantage but I guess some people would.

The mod was relatively simple and the servos just epoxy'd into place. I kept the little pieces I cut from the wing in case I need to replace them in the wing after reclaiming the servos.

The pictures above show the underside of the wing and the amount of travel the ailerons have. I have the control horns set in the second hole from the top so there is an option to increase or decrease the amount of movement in the future. At the moment I'm very happy with how they work and I find it a very different experience to turn the plane using ailerons as opposed to the prior rudder-only turns I've been used to.

I also dropped the prop size from 1180 to 1047 which seems to have given it a better bottom end power range. I haven't really noticed too much difference in the top speed but then again I never really clocked it with a radar gun either!!

I would definately recommend this mod to any of you Slow Stick flyers, It opens new doors in the type of aerobatics this little plane is capable of. I guess the only way to totally unlock the Slow Stick is to go brushless. I think that'll be the next big project but I suspect I'll have to wait untill I burn out the current brushed speed 300 can motor I'm using.

Just on another topic, batteries, the seven cell 8.4v 600mah pack(pictured) usually gives me around ten minutes of flying time at what I thought was fairly powerfull for a brushed speed 300/NiMh combination until I made a little adaptor(Mini Tamiya to JST connectors) and tried my old Hobbyzone seven cell 8.4v 900mah ABC packs.

Using these batteries on the Slow Stick really seem to pack a lot of power. On a conservative estimate I'd say they are roughly 50% more powerfull and the plane just seems to have so much more punch in the air, and on average I can get close to twenty minutes out of them.

Is there any reason for this??? Do Hobbyzone use really good quality cells in their packs or is the other one I'm using a bad pack?? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GWS Slow Stick With Ailerons

I think that is very cool indeed. For the price it would be a great aileron trianer. Cool!! Good Job.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try it, you'll love it!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You didn't mention taking out the dihedral? The only other mention of this mod that I found was in the Slow Stick threads and he cut the center wing and made the wing flat. I am very interested in this mod. I was thinking of going to a alieron trainer and realized today I may already have one!!
    Never had an RC crash I couldn\'t walk away from.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyranger

You didn't mention taking out the dihedral? The only other mention of this mod that I found was in the Slow Stick threads and he cut the center wing and made the wing flat. I am very interested in this mod. I was thinking of going to a alieron trainer and realized today I may already have one!!
    Hi, I haven't done anything to the wing other than cut out two recesses for the servos and the control horns and it rolls and turns beautifully now under aileron only control. I've almost forgotten I have a rudder as well!!

I don't know if it would roll quicker by doing that, I suspect that maybe it would but try it this way first before you totally destroy your wing. Personally I don't think you need to flatten the wing but in saying that I haven't tried it either...

It works fine for me in this state and I'm really enjoying fiddling around with a 4 channel aileron trainer!! It certainly does a lot more than it could before the mod and it handles with heaps more response too.

All I can say it give it a go and see what happens...

Good luck and keep us informed!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job on the mods
    It gave me inspiration for mod on one I'm building now
    AJ
    Well I flew it up there... now how am I supposed to get it down

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just modified my GWS Slow Stick to incorporate the following:

1. Two micro servos mounted on 1/16 ply brackets glued to the wing underside.
    2. No dihedral. I replaced the kit supplied bent aluminum tubing with straight stock aluminum
    tubing.
    3. Added 1/16 bamboo struts between the vertical fin and the horizontal stabilizer to strengthen
    the foam structure.
    4. Routed the receiver antenna wire out the underside of the wing and secured with velco to
    keep it away from the aluminum fuselage structure.

See the enclosures for pictures of this mod.

I test flew the model yesterday and it flies great! I did notice the power began sagging after about 3 minutes into the flight.

WARNING! Since then, at home, I wanted to bench run the motor and time it to compare flight duration/power with either an 8 cell NIH 650 and 1150 battery.
    I got about 4 minutes on either one at full throttle, but to my dismay I fried the stock GWS EM300 brushed motor! So, I just ordered a 20 amp brushless ESC and a Eflite 370 motor to replace the defunct brushed motor. The upside of this experience is that hopefully I will get more performance out of the Slow Stick.

November 19 Update

Flew the Slow Stick with the Eflite 370 and noted a significant improvement in performance. Can now do consecutive inside loops, inverted flight and fly in general with lots of authority.
    Although normal flight aileron response is excellent, the model will not do axial rolls. Have now trimmed off the wing tips as recommended by another Aileron Slow Stick flier and next time I fly, will see if there is in fact any improvement. The only other thing that needs to be addressed is to make a steerable tailwheel as the model will not taxi worth a hoot!

November 22 Update

Flew today and still cannot do axial rolls. I did manage a barrel roll, but even that took a lot of coaxing! Otherwise, the model does inside loops, outside loops, flies inverted, vertical figure 8 and hammerhead stalls. When I got home, I reset the aileron horns to next to closest holes and increased the aileron servos travel to 125%. Now the ailerons deflect about 1 inch either way. Will try flying it this way tomorrow and see if this will do the trick.

November 25 Update

I designed and incorporated a steerable tail wheel modification and tested it out today. It works GREAT! The model now will taxi and I can "drive" it from its landing site to the pit area.
    Am adding a few photos of the clipped wing and steerable tail wheel to this update. It was done as follows:

Note: Refer to the photos for visualizing these instructions.

1. Remove the old tail wheel assembly from the fuselage. Remove the tail wheel or you can replace it if desired.
    2. Make up a new tail wheel strut and wrap the upper end with sewing thread. Secure the thread to the strut with thin CYA. Don't omit this step! The thread wrapped wire is essential to obtaining a strong bond to the foam structure.
    3. Modify a mini nylon horn by cutting off the horn end leaving about 1/16 " at the base. Drill a 1/32" hole in the base area to accomodate the wire.
    4. Drill a 1/16 " hole through the stabilizer/elevator hinge area. Position the strut through the hole and locate the spot where the modified mini horn will be installed. Install the wire strut in the hole in the mini horn and glue the mini horn to the rudder with Foam Safe CYA.
    5. Use Foam Safe CYA to glue the sewing thread wrapped wire to the rudder. Saturate the area with Foam Safe CYA to strengthen it making sure you don't get glue in the hinge area. It won't look pretty, but remember this is a Slow Stick and Function is what you are looking for!

December 1 Update

Flew the Slow Stick with the steerable tail wheel today and it's a joy! Set up the model in the pit area and was able to taxi out to the runway. Then I collapsed the transmitter antenna and taxied out to about 100 feet to perform a range check. Extended the antenna and taxied back to take off. After the flight, I taxied back to the pit area and secured the model. What more can you ask of the Slow Stick? This has become my favorite model even though it is an "Ugly Duckling".

Dave Kovensky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70027.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	348235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85447.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	348236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ms42549.jpg 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	348237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13212.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	348238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr93762.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	348239  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ul78395.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	348240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ru34053.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	348241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj33190.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	348242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx72327.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	348243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93092.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	348244  

Name:	Rw57072.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	348245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45401.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	348246  
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of my fellow Slow Stick fliers have advised me that the photos I took of the tailwheel modification didn't show the details too clearly. I therefore made up the attached sketch in the hope it would help out. Please zoom in and magnify the picture as big as you can to make the drawing clearer. If you still have trouble, e-mail me at rcdave_1@hotmail.com

Dave Kovensky

Name:	Ge96904.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	363886  
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

March 25, 2006

First there was the "Slow Stick"(stock). Then there was the "Slow Stick Plus" (ailerons/brushless motor/steerable tailwheel). And now, it's the "Not So Slow Stick"! Although I love this design, it was inevitable that I had to incorporate a fully symetrical wing to improve the so-so roll characteristics of the S.S.P. This version sports a fully built-up wing, 1/8 " sheet balsa tail, modified plastic wing mounts that eliminate the dihedral angle by using 1/16 plywood platforms, and a steerable tailwheel.

Am enclosing 9 attachment photos that illustrate these changes. This version will use the S.S.P. model's E-flite geared brushless motor and a 3 cell LiPo battery pack. The completed built-up wing weighs in at 7 ounces. I made up fabric "X" hinges for all control surfaces. To keep the weight down, I used lightening holes in the ribs and ailerons. Will cover the wing and tail with transparent UltraCote. Last, but not least, I will use the new Spectrum Park Flyer radio system to control this beauty!

Dave Kovensky

Name:	Qo40930.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	433008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69711.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	433009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vb74091.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	433010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At55493.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	433011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nz28689.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	433012  

Name:	Ul80362.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	433013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ln10121.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	433014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki30374.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	433015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23938.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	433016  
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a spare brushless bell type outrunner. What's the white mount shown in the linked photos ?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am a bit confused by your reference to "the white mount" in the photos. Did you mean the aluminum extrusion? If so, it is the fuselage structure that is part of the GWS Slow Stick kit. The photos show my modified version of this model that is still under construction. When completed, it will incorporate an E-flite brushless motor mounted to the GWS plastic geared motor mount that is supplied with the kit. If you intend using an outrunner motor, you will have to make up your own adapter as I don't think there is a
    commercially available mount available. You might contact Hobby Lobby.com as they do stock a large variety of electric motor accessories and may have something you could use. Hope this will be of help!

Dave Kovensky.
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. I was referring to the large pics pointed to by I_Love_My_ABC's URL

Your new variation does look the biz !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

Beautiful job on the wing. Did you design it? Where could I get a copy of the plans? I really enjoy the Slow Stick and making modifications.

Thanks,
    Sparky
    *Sparky*

Gravity - It is not just a good idea, it\'s the law.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a March 30 2006 updated version

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the compliment on my built-up wing. Yes, I did design this structure. Unfortunately, I
    did not draw up a set of plans, but here is how I came up with the design.

1. I measured the span and chord from my Slow Stick Plus (SSP) wing.
    2. I traced out the upper airfoil camber of the SSP wing tip that I previously cut off from that
    model on a piece of cardboard. Then I drew a centerline from the leading edge to the trailing
    edge. Finally, I cut out the cardboard outline and using this "half-airfoil", transferred
    the upper airfoil to a 1/8 inch plywood sheet, flipped over the the cardboard and
    transferred the "lower" airfoil to connect with the leading and trailing edges.
    3. Removed 1 1/2 inches from the trailing edge of the plywood rib template to allow for
    the ailerons. Made up full span ailerons out of 3/16 inch sheet balsa with 1 1/2 inch chord.
    4. Used the plywood template to make up all the ribs and half ribs. Cut out all lightening
    holes.
    5. Used a home made wing jig with two 1/4 inch diameter piano wire rods to assemble
    the wing ribs, leading edge, spars and trailing edge. Spaced out the full ribs at 2 inches
    except for the servo bay which was 1 inch. Added tips and shaped to contour.
    6. Since the wing has no dihedral and a fully symetrical airfoil. I had to modify the plastic
    fuselage mounts by cutting off the platforms, adding 1/16 inch plwood and reglueing them
    to the base with "Gorilla Glue". Also had to cut out half of the wing center section leading
    edge and make a 1/16 inch plywood base to match up with the fuselage wing mounts.
    (The photos in my previous write up show this).
    7. Removed the bottom spar at the center section to allow the wing to seat on
    the plastic fuselage mounts. To allow for proper load transfer, I added a bass sub spar
    to the center section that extends to the 4 inner ribs. Added 1/2 inch Estes rocket tubes
    from center section to the wing rib bay next to where the servos will be installed to allow
    for snaking out the servo leads as well as adding strength to the wing.
    8. After sanding the hell out of the wing, I weighed it and came out at 7 ounces less servos and
    covering. The total ready to fly all up weight came to 18 ounces, as compared to the standard
    kit weight of 14-15.5 ounces. This should be O.K. with the geared brushless motor and 3 cell
    1000 mAh LiPol battery pack. (I am not expecting 3D performance, only conventional
    aerobatic capability.
    9. Had to add a piano wire brace to make the landing gear more rigid as I had to locate the
    battery pack forward of the wing leading edge. In spite of all my efforts to keep the balsa
    structure light, It came out about 3 ounces heavier than the original foam wing and tail
    version.
    10. Added lightening holes to the fin, rudder, stabilizer and elevator. Applied thin CA to the
    circumferences of all the holes and edges of the tail surfaces for strength and warp
    resistance.
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

March 31, 2006

Finally finished the "Not So Slow Stick" and took some photos of it. See the attached pictures. Hope to test fly it next week and see just what it will do.

Dave K

Name:	Ki20388.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	436677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh17257.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	436678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55555.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	436679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv65992.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	436680  
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

What a great looking Slow Stick (or Not so Slow Stick). How does it fly?

Thanks again for the "directions".

I flew my Stock SS last weekend for the first time. The guys at the field were impressed of how little room it took to take off. It has been a few years since I flew and the SS made it easy to remember what a blast this hobby is.

Thanks again. I am looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
    *Sparky*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sparky,

Although the "Not So Slow Stick" is ready to fly, we have been having continuous high winds for the past few days and the forecast for the next few days is for more of the same. I am looking forward to flying it when it calms down and will post the results as soon as I do. By the way, although the stock Slow Stick is a great flying model, adding ailerons to the foam wing and adding a steerable tail wheel makes it even better! Suggest you review my write-up on making this modification to upgrade the stock model to a "Slow Stick Plus". Thanks for your interest and inquiry.

Dave
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

I hear you about the wind. Living just north of you we have been getting much of the same. Though, we have had some kind of calm days.

I have read your SS with ailerons (with the stock wing) and have that in the works (when the wind calms down again. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks again for the wealth of information and guidance.
    *Sparky*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my first slow stick this week. I finished it last night. I put ailerons on it, straighten the wing, extended the wing and added a Himax 2025-5366 brushless motor to it. It's going to be too windy to fly for a least a couple of days. I'll take some pictures tonight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave Kovensky

Hi Sparky,

Although the "Not So Slow Stick" is ready to fly, we have been having continuous high winds for the past few days and the forecast for the next few days is for more of the same. I am looking forward to flying it when it calms down and will post the results as soon as I do. By the way, although the stock Slow Stick is a great flying model, adding ailerons to the foam wing and adding a steerable tail wheel makes it even better! Suggest you review my write-up on making this modification to upgrade the stock model to a "Slow Stick Plus". Thanks for your interest and inquiry.

On Friday, April 21, the wind finally calmed down and I got to test fly the "Not So Slow Stick. On take-off, as soon as I got airborne, the forward modified wing platform failed and the wing separated from the fuselage. (See my March 25 write-up for photos of the original modified wing platform). Amazingly, the model sustained no damage other than a broken prop! It seems that the "Gorilla Glue" I used to secure the modified plastic wing platforms did not have the tensile strength that I anticipated. (The label on the bottle describes the contents to be "the ultimate glue") Well anyway, when I got home, I made up 1/16 inch plywood reinforcements for both forward and rear wing platforms that will carry shear loads and hopefully keep the wing on the fuselage. Took some pictures of this mod and made attachments of them. Next calm day, I will try again and see if I was right.

Dave

Name:	Fd90776.jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	449971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25303.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	449972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55663.jpg 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	449973  
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work Dave nice plane. I like the one that I_Love_My_ABC did, its simple, easy on the pocket book and easy to do.
    Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you flatten out the wing or do you have the full stock dihedral ?

Can you do full 360 degree axial rolls ? How clean are they ?

I bought the SS as a trainer for the kids but I have already done the brushless upgrade. This has been ok as I can just throttle down when it is being used as a trainer. If I add the ailerons and put the rudder on the left stick where it belongs, will the SS turn ok without having to use elevator ?

Given that the horns are on the insides of the ailerons rather than near the centres, is there any slop in them ?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Netdudeuk,
    I'm not sure your questions were meant for me as you did not indicate who you were writing to. However, I'll assume you wrote to me and try to give you my answers.

1. Both my "Slow Stick Plus"(SSP) and the "Not So Slow Stick" (NSSS) have zero dihedral. I rely on my ailerons to control the roll axis.
    2. The SSP has the kit supplied foam wing with the tips removed and will do sloppy axial rolls. The NSSS has a built up fully
    symetrical wing and does very clean axial rolls. The NSSS actually lives up to its name and flies like a pattern model.
    3. Both models (as almost all aileron and rudder controlled airplanes) need a bit up up-elevator during a turn command.
    4. Have not experienced any "slop" in the rudder, elevator or aileron functions. All control horn holes were drilled to size to just
    accomodate the push rod wire diameter without binding. I use 2 servos to drive the ailerons, not one for both.

Hope the foregoing will be of help,

Dave Kovensky
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Test flew the "Not So Slow Stick" today. With an 8 cell NiH 1150 mAh battery pack, it weighed out at 24 ounces which was more than I expected. I used an 11/8 GWS plastic prop. Anyway, it lives up to it's name "Not So Slow Stick"! Flies more like a pattern plane than a park flyer. It is definitely not for a beginner, but an experienced flyer would love it! I will replace the NiH battery with a 3 cell 1500 mAh Lipo and see what the lighter weight will do for it's flying characteristics. Will also try an 11/4.7 prop to see how it affects the flight charactistics.

Dave
    Dave Kovensky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave

Thanks for the reply. My questions were meant for ILMA but thanks anyway :-)

Your custom bird looks pretty cool (and I said so above !) but I could see that the wing had no dihedral. Bet you haven't seen the SS clocked on radar at 80mph !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast