Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Harbor Freight Yellow Bee

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harbor Freight Yellow Bee

There should be a law against $30.00 airplanes that fly this well! Harbor Freight won't win any awards from me where fast shipping is concerned, but my YB showed up recently. Takes longer to get it out of the box than it does to assemble. The 600ma NiMh pack charges with the supplied charger in about an hour or so, NOT 2-3 hours as stated in the instructions. Keep an eye on that!

The 27mhz radio has trims and reversing of all things, and the model uses proportional diff-thrust to control heading.

I just didn't have high expectations, but.....a little adjustment to the V-stab to get the model to climb a little less aggresively under power and the airplane is real hoot to fly!

10 minute flights are no problem (the instructions say 20 mins is possible). There's a bit of a knack to to these types of planes but I was thrilled! Control is better than I'd have thought, and the plane actually flies very well, provided you fly it in very minimal wind. Preferably calm conditions.

I recommend a bit of clear packing tape under the wings and stab to help minimize scrapes and dings when you land it in the soy stubble, but boy this thing made me happy!

Definitely recommended!

'Race

Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harbor Freight Yellow Bee

Race City
Be proud you even got that thing to fly
I had 2 of them and couldn't get either one of them to fly more than from hand launch to ground
ROG would lift then crash, I finally removed all electronics and motors to use at later date
I recently put motors in little SU27 jet I got on ebay for 10.00 + ship and I will say the motors made that thing scream
Had to cut props down to fit room allowed for turning but WOW what a power house, helpfull hint on these things
DO NOT try to use bigger batt electronics can't take it and WILL fry
Glad to hear you had better luck than I did
Good luck and good flying
Ace
Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 AM
RaceCity

I don't suppose my sample of the HFYB was anything unique, so....

It's helpful to spend a few moments test gliding the model before you try to fly it. Don't try to control anything...just gently toss straight ahead and observe. Make small adjustments to the tail incidence to obtain a flat glide without a pronounced stalling tendency. I used a thin paper shim under the leading edge of the stabilizer, and that seemed to be just right.

For flying, a ball field is about as much space as is needed, and allow the model to climb straight ahead before manuevering. It'll get right up there in a hurry.

I knew it....all those years piddling with the "trim" on 10 cent balsa gliders was going to pay off someday! <GGG>

I like my YB.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
AJ1202

Race City
I hear ya
Actually a freind gave them to me because he couldn't get them to fly and I found after making every adj I could try that simple flight was just not going to happen so I gutted them to use parts later
Hey you know how us newbe's are
I was surprised that they wouldn't fly, it is a simple set up even if it is a little on heavy side for plane this size
my FB oulaw weighs almost half as much and it uses 6V batt instead of 4.6
Good day and Good flying
Ace
Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM
RaceCity

Hate to report that I'm still flying the pants off my HFYB......

Yes, the plane that "won't fly" seems to fly just fine in my neighborhood.

Hand launch....fly for 10 minutes then land it back in the palm of your hand...I just did it.

Spend a few minutes to trim it, and it's the bargain of the century.

Lovin' every minute of it....

'Race

(and I think "Loverboy" said the same thing in a top 40 song)

Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
john 8750

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

Hate to report that I'm still flying the pants off my HFYB......

Yes, the plane that "won't fly" seems to fly just fine in my neighborhood.

Hand launch....fly for 10 minutes then land it back in the palm of your hand...I just did it.

Spend a few minutes to trim it, and it's the bargain of the century.

Lovin' every minute of it....

'Race

(and I think "Loverboy" said the same thing in a top 40 song)

I agree, very simple, and a lot of fun.
John Smith
Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 AM
vega2614

I'm about a year late in posting on this forum, but I have to agree with RaceCity; the Harbor Freight Yellow Bee is A-mazing! The only thing stopping me from buying this great plane in bulk is my wife (she'd rather me spend our money on lesser important things, like stuff for the house and food ). The Yellow Bee has a lot of power, cruising at about 20mph and can get higher than 500ft. The controls are also very precise, which is fun when I scare my friends and other observers with some close passes. The Harbor Freight Condor is also a decent plane, but slower and more of a glider. You can check out some videos of it in flight if you YouTube search "Yellow Bee."
Old 10-29-2006, 05:05 PM
FMB42

Does the YB Tx allow you shut both motors down and glide around? The wind around here is making this noob think about cheap motorized gliders and the like.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
fiver

It uses the motors to steer and they are off while gliding. It glides around great in a little wind. To much wind and it will climb on you. I love taking this thing in for landings. A little left or right keeps it going if you need just a little speed.

We have had six between friends. Every one was worth the $24 we paid. I still have one in good shape. Taping the main wing is a good idea. Otherwise if you pull a lawn dart move (usually from high wind) the wing will likely sheer off. It is hard to get the wing straight again. Good news is the wing set is only $10 and in stock!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 AM
vega2614

I haven't felt the need to buy a new wing simply because I know a new one will probably break right away. I'm too antsy and can't wait for <5mph winds, plus I like flying low to the ground and near obstacles. I've been using medical tape and a lightweight aluminum rod to keep the wing set straight, but I think maybe packing tape might serve the purpose better since it is lighter and thinner. I can tell my YB is weighted down a bit when I cut the engines and notice it doesn't glide as well as it used to, but it flies fine probably due to the powerful engines. The wing is pretty straight because of the rod serving as structural support.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 PM
FMB42

Thanks for the info fiver. I'm thinking that I can always use the radio gear on another model if worse comes to worse. I will buy an extra wing for sure. I purchased a HF Cub that I have yet to maiden due to the 7mph winds here. The Cub looks much better then my ugly glow trainer which makes me nervous about destroying it. The cost of the YB is less then the glow engine alone on my trainer. Not to mention the radio gear, electric starter, etc, etc.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
vega2614

Hey FMB482, let us know when you get to use the cub and how it flies. I've been seriously considering getting one. The YB is nice, but it would be cool to do loops and stuff.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 PM
AndyL

Racecity, I agree the yellow bee flies really well once its trimmed. It has lots of power with those little motors and the batteries last a long time.

One thing to watch out for is any damage to the tail. If you get a crease and it folds while airborne you will get an uncontrollable deathspiral. I attached a bamboo skewer as a strut between the tails for reinforcement.

For guys looking at the J3 cub, I think you can get it for less at Raidentech. I think both the Yellow Bee and HF J3 are made by Shun Da which also makes the famous Badius.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM
FMB42

Will do Vega. I am also working on a Lai Shing (GWS clone) Zero and will post info and/or questions on it as well.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 AM
yoster

ORIGINAL: AndyL

Racecity, I agree the yellow bee flies really well once its trimmed. It has lots of power with those little motors and the batteries last a long time.

One thing to watch out for is any damage to the tail. If you get a crease and it folds while airborne you will get an uncontrollable deathspiral. I attached a bamboo skewer as a strut between the tails for reinforcement.

For guys looking at the J3 cub, I think you can get it for less at Raidentech. I think both the Yellow Bee and HF J3 are made by Shun Da which also makes the famous Badius.

That is correct, they're made by Shun Da. I tried to convince my local harbor freight to start stocking parts for the accipiter badius, but unfortunately they were unable to make custom orders. I know my Accipter Badius was a great plane to learn on.. the TX is a little akward at first.. but you get used to it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 PM
heli-kid

there awsome me and my family have like five of them. very durable my cousin flew mine in to the top of a 200 foot water tower and it fell straight down on a bunch of rocks and it still worked fine. ive got 20 min flight times with mine until the batt. went dead (lots of gliding)
Old 12-26-2006, 11:10 PM
heli-kid

my yb will do loops on command with out any mods