Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

I need some advice, and a little help.

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

I need some advice, and a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:50 AM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice, and a little help.

What do I need to know to get into park flyers? And what would be a good kit to get? I just want something to mess around with. I dont need anything special. I know nothing about planes by the way. How much would a cheap one cost? What would be a good plane?
I saw the Tipsey it's onyl $50 does it come with everything I need?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:57 AM
Peter Y

Hi

Sadly $50 probably just buys you the plane and motor (this is the case for many planes - a bit like the rolling chasis in RC cars).

Most planes require you to add radio gear (servos and receiver) plus the speed controller and battery (plus you need a charger). The advantage of this is that you buy one radio (which comes with receiver, servos etc) and then in theory swap the gear between planes. The down side is the pretty big cost involved in getting started (a five channel transmitter pack is probably $200 US).

There's 2 other options:

1. Buy a simple 2 channel plane that comes with everything you need to get started. Some of these are good flyers and worthwhile - others will tell you they are junk and you will quickly outgrow them, but lots of people started this way. This is a great way to start if you dont know other people who fly, and dont want to join a club and take lessons. Two examples of this route are the Firebird XL and Sky Scooter. Some of these sell for around the $100 US all up.

2. Buy a similar set-up but with a 3 channel radio that can be used for some other planes. The best example of this is the SkyScooter Pro version that comes with a Hitec Focus 3 radio - this radio is ok for other park-flyers that just use rudder and elevator, or use elevons (like a combat wing). This will cost you more than 2 channel, but you then have a small upgrade path.

The third option is to buy a good transmitter like a Hitec Flash 5X and a park flyer like a Tipsy or GWS Tiger Moth, and get some lessons. This is the cheapest option long term, but requires the biggest initial outlay.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 11-04-2002, 07:53 PM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

Can I use a r/c car radio for a Tipsy?
Old 11-04-2002, 08:35 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Radio for Plane

You are required by FCC and AMA requlations to use specifically allocated airplane frequencies for planes and land frequencies for cars and boats. Many transmitters can be converted from one frequency band to the other by changing the crystal. Not sure about converting receivers, contact the maker of your equipment and ask if and how much.

A new 4-channel GWS transmitter on an airplane frequency would cost you $40. A matching GWS single tuned receiver, battery pack and two sub-micro servos would be another $90, A GWS charger would be another $40. A GWS Tiger Moth ( biplane) almost ready to fly with motor/geardrive would be another $60. A spare battery pack would be another $20. You can use the radio gear , charger and even the motor/geardrive out of the plane for other follow-on projects. I highly recommend the GWS Tiger Moth as a first park flyer. Very gentle flyer and fairly easy to epoxy repair. Try to find some other parkflyer people to get advice and help. Look up Aeromicro.com or Balsa Products website to see all the stuff. Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:41 AM
acr1346

Since you live in Lakeland try Orlando, Graves hobbies, or St.Pete, Archie's hobbies. both have free advise and all the stuff
you need to get into the air. There is a new plane soon on the
market, AeroBird. It is the next best thing to $250 worth of plane and is going to be $150. I fly the firebirdII and it is a good starter
for only $89 (complete, everything).
Old 11-10-2002, 03:48 PM
rahtware

I would go with the 3 (or 4) channel radio and simple plane. Of the GWS planes, I like the Slow Stick for beginners because of its sloooow flight, and forgiving nature. Also, because of that BIG wing, it has a very forgiving "Center of Gravity". I have mine on the mark, but have heard of others that had theirs setup too far aft (a big no-no with planes). They still flew, like a dog, but flew.

The only negative when comparing the SS with the FB is in turns you have to add a little up elevator with the SS. Thing is, the SS flies slowly enough that you will have time to react. If you went with a SS, I would set the throws less than suggested and do the first flights in a large (football) field. After you get used to it, you will be able to increase the throws and fly it in the street in front of your house!

The Firebird flies faster and needs a couple of acres to fly in. We flew a friends at a local school and it was a job to keep it within the small school field. OTOH, my SS was able to do figure eight?s in less space, and was easier to fly. Besides, with the FB, "What you see is what you get" It might be cheaper (not by much), but you will never be able to upgrade to another plane with that radio.

The main problem, other than the law, with using your car trans and receiver in a plane is? About the time you are enjoying your first successful flight, Little Freddie down the street will fire up his Nitro buggy and knock you out of the sky! There are many more enjoyable ways to re-kit a plane.

Clear skies to you. Today is my first day off in a week and it is raining frogs out here!!! I guess I can't complain, at least I don't live in Oregon. Up there they get so much rain the frogs drown!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:56 PM
acr1346

......What he said!