Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

COX Micro Warbirds

Old 04-28-2006, 05:20 AM
starguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COX Micro Warbirds

Has anyone here flown their Warplanes with only stock parts that Cox supplies? If so, how well did it turn out?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 AM
mdbuehler

Mine have the Cox servos, Cox batteries, an $8 Balsapr ESC and my ancient AM Futaba radio with a .7oz receiver in each (P40 and F4U). They fly pretty good, though both had a tendency to roll left that had to be corrected with a bit of right rudder. Power is OK and they'll climb quite quick, and thats with them weighing in around 5.1 oz each. Probably a bit more now that each have crashed hard at least twice and have lots of tape and glue in the nose When the battery gets low, the controls respond ALOT slower, so remember that on final approach! Its gotten me four times now!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
bribeguy

So,

I've been having an issue with my Cox P-40 over the last few flights.

Seems that past 1/2 throttle, the motor just cuts out.

So I check the ESC manual. The Castle Creations ESC has a safety cut off so if the motor pulls to much power, or if the battery can't keep up with the draw, it shuts off the esc.

Fair enough.

Except I'm using a 7amp ESC, and the motor should only be pulling ~4 amps.

Odd.

So I think, "Well maybe the battery is bunk".

Problem is, of course, the fuselage is sealed, so there in no access to anything.

Easy fix there, though...............a # 11 x-acto knife blade cuts through styrofoam like a hot knife through butter.

He he he.

So I cut the plane in half, take one look at the battery and then run straight outside to the patio with it.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78815.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	453077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59001.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	453078  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
DJ88

Dang- that battery is fried!

I am jumping here off stargaurd's post. --?? I am considering a warbird, and i have an old AM futaba with the receiver/esc in one unit (mcr-4a).
I know i need to run a brushed motor and cannot run more that a 7 cell nimh....What kind of motor should i buy - or will the stock motor run well with a 6 cell 900 mah nimh??? What should i consider??

Another ques: What servos would i run in this bird? The futaba is a 'J' connector.

I am very new to aircraft RC, so if i sound like I'm wet behind the ears, its cause i am!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Here is a link to the other Cox Warbird thread where I posted pictures and step-by-step mods to add ailerons.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#4205514

My P-47 came in right at 5 oz. and flies great with the stock Cox motor. The ailerons solved the 'sluggish' feel and it really rolls nice.

Name:	Xv63306.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	455738  
Old 08-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Cox is sending me another Warbird since my motor burned up on the 4th flight. I am thinking about purchasing the Astro Flight Firefly coreless moter for $69. I do see it's alot less than the stock motor. Do you think the Astro Flight Firefly is worth buying for this plane or would you have bought something different? Any heating issues? I guess that's why the original motor burned out?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Hey Quint -RCU, is the
Astro Flight Firefly 4:1 Coreless w/Speed Control worth getting for the Cox warbirds?? I want to order one ASAP but would like more info before spending $69.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Rusty-Gunn

My nephew and I both got P-51s, both sitting in the boxes still - other projects keeping us busy. We'll most likely go with the original motor, as we don't yet have any suitable brushless motors. 300 mah li-poly batts, 10 amp esc, pico servos, tiny rec fill out the check list. Here's wishing you all the best with your planes.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
franklydude

Successful maiden for my first P-51! well kinda.....

For some reason Cox products don't seem to find their way over to the UK. I picked up my Micro Warbird mustang at a retail stand at a model show, a one off "reduced" from £30 to £20.... that's still a lot more than $20 you guys in the states can buy them for! I don't know who if anyone distributes them in the UK.

I'm an inexperienced pilot & since finally gluing it together, have been too scared to "give it a shove". Tonight, wifey said let's take our doggy for a walk round the village green. it was calm so I grabbed the little bird & my Tx. She said "oh how embarrassing" ie to be seen with my toy plane. Anyway, I gave it a gentle shove into the air! & away it went, quite gracefully, at about 3/4 throttle, a few turns and near misses, then I cut the motor & landed without any damage. second flight I was too slow to react and a tree caught it. Some minor damage, a cracked fuselage and dented wing.

Anyway, am very pleased it flew as well and as stably as it did. Will find a bigger place to practise next time!

My Mustang is almost stock, rudder/elevator & comes out at about 120gm (4.25oz)
Stock Motor & propeller (I have a neat Graupner CAM prop alternative to try)
Kokam 340mAH 2s1p pack ~21gm
2 x Blue Arrow XY-MS-3.7 servos, about 4.4gm when I measure them without any lightening.
"Laishing Model" 35MHz Rx with standard crystal, ~8gm without antenna ($4 cheapo 4ch/fm rx from ebay/china)
Home made mini antenna (10uH choke and about 9" of very thin piano wire glued to inside fuselage) ~1gm
GWS ICS100Li 5A LiPoly ECS ~5gm

The cheapo receiver is reasonably tiny (~23mm x 13mm x 37mm) but a tight fit in the mustang.
My c.of.g came out a little forward of the 1.125"! suggested, because of the weight and shape of the 340 lipo.

Hope I can persuade a few other brits to try 'em!

My hobby costs me wayyyyyyy less than what my wifey costs me!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:15 PM
bluemax
My Feedback: (19)

Question on problem with my warbird. I have a P-47 and when I hand launched it, it immediately rolled over on its back and dove to the ground. Has this happened to anyone else and if so can you tell me what I did wrong before I launch it again. I did have it at full speed with a 7.4v lipo battery. Do I need to cut back on the speed at takeoff? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Definately use full power. I would say that you may have launched it incorrectly. Did you use the built in handle part that is connected to the middle bottom of the trailing edge of the wing. It's the foam square (I call it handel) that is on the belly, but part of the wing. Try it again using that. It may feel like your launching it with the C of G way aft but it should soar right up. Also, don't give it any rudder until you get it up a way.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 PM
packyj

Even though these little planes are so small it still takes my p47 quite a push to get it aloft. I throw it pretty much the same way I had thrown my parkzone firebird freedom... which needless to say is a much larger and heavier airplane.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 PM
gunracer

dial in some up elevator, right rudder and throw her much, much harder than you think you need to...
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
bluemax
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get it repaired. I was using the handle to launch it but I didn't give it a very hard toss. It did surprise me on how fast it flipped over on its back. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
wildjaych

I have a rimfire motor with a BL-8 esc that I need to put in a plane.... would that work good with this plane? what prop?

These look like a bunch of fun...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a corsair with a stock motor, Jetti ESC, and a 750ma 2 cell LiPo. It weights 4.5 oz and flys well. I cut the elevators to achieve maximum rudder and can turn on a dime. I put the rudder on the right stick where the ailerons would be, and it is easy to control. It does loops and hammerdeads well, along with normal type stuff. Does not like inverted.

I have a second one with mods including an outrunner, 3 cell, and ailerons.
ORIGINAL: starguard

Has anyone here flown their Warplanes with only stock parts that Cox supplies? If so, how well did it turn out?

Name:	Wu59888.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	524791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61981.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	524792  
Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Cptn. Krunch

Hey Bribeguy,
Would you like some extra airframes...they're free if you want to pick them up. I have a spare P-40 with the bottom side sheeting and aileron conversion, an ME109 with the same. Both have been flown and are very flyable, just add your gear. I am trying to downsize my collection of models and I dislike throwing good airframes out. Let me know.
Cheers,

Name:	Fc90374.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	531948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16056.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	531949  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Smackz

I just received my Corsair RTF from Cox yesterday and I was pretty impressed when I opened the box. The plane and components look pretty good for the price (especially to a rookie like me). I'm hoping to fly it for the first time this weekend and I've been browsing the forums looking for advice for a successful first time out.

I'm currently flying a Firebird Commander 2 and my experience is limited so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 PM
bribeguy

Cptn., that'd be awsome! I'm more then happy to come pick them up. I'll PM you for details.

Thanx!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
ram3500-RCU

You will be impressed with how well this little plane flys, if you do a slight mod and up the throw on the rudder. I have at least 1/2" on mine. To get this, you need to cut the corners of the elevators off (has no effect on them), so that the rudder can sweep over without hitting the elevators. I also put the rudder control on the aileron channel (both on the right stick). This makes her 'feel' more like a plane with ailerons. Hat tipped to those who don't feel the need, but this gives me back those instinctive reactions that I have worked so hard to develope. Also, I am convinced that the gull wing, and all the dihedral it has, aids in the effectiveness on the rudder of this one. I'm the only one flying the Corsair in our group, and I can out manuver all the others, even without the ailerons I have installed on my other one. Have fun.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:08 PM
mbj

I have a question for any one that can help me out regarding my P-51.

I finally finished it up but havnt weighed it yet.
The maiden flight was today.
I dialed in a little up elevator and gave her a toss.
I thought I had dialed in too much because it was porpoising really bad.
I went ahead and landed succesfully and reset the trim and gave it another toss, it was better but not much better with the trim zeroed out and the elevator perfectly level.
I once again landed it and dialed in down elevator around an 1/8th inch and it was noticably better but still porpoised.
My CG is 1" 1/8th just as it recomends in the manual.
I am using the stock Motor and prop
800mah 2c lipo (very tight fit)
Futaba Micro reciever and 2 3110 servos
Dubro aileron kit.

Should I try too add more weight too the front or keep dialing in down elevator?
I double checked too make sure the tail wing wasnt upside down LOL.
I attatched a pic of the aileron mod I used but now I am wondering if the protective plastic over the servo I used isnt causing the problem, It is transparent plasitic originally designed too strenghten the front of the plane it is kinda hard too see
I reseated the front wing and tried too get a better fit too the bottom of the fusalage...I hope that was the problem!
Kinda scared too throw it back up in the air at this point so any recomendations would help at this point in time. Anyone that has the P-51 have a better CG for this plane or is an 1" 1/8th perfect?

Thank you for your time

Name:	Xv63483.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	536601  
Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
mbj

Ok just made it back in...
I was pleased too find out that the wing not being all the way against the Fusalage was indeed the problem, I didnt notice it on the maiden flight but after that experience, I saw it. The rear clip will not pop in like the front.
Hence the tremendous lift I was experiencing.
It still isnt fitting perfect for some reason but it is flying level now!
One side is not tight and is causing the plane too turn a little one way but with a little sanding on the Fusalage that will be fixed also!
So the problem has been solved!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
ram3500-RCU

I wound up gluing my wings on. With a ground strike to a wing tip, The fuselage cracks very easily over the wing sadle area (weak there). Gluing the wing on strengthens that area. Also, I did my alerons this way with great success.

BTW, this plane, with a 280 outrunner, 3-cell lipo, and the extra servo, weighs in at 5.4 oz all up.

Name:	Nl30863.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	536684  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
mbj

Thank you for the reply ram3500-RCU
I may glue my wings on like you did that is a great tip! I dont need access too anything in thier anyway.
My brother did his ailerons the same way you did just on top of the wing. I am not getting the same travel as him with this setup, so the turns are slower. I havnt really cranked on it too see but I know his stand straight up and his rolls and turns are quick and tight.
My plane is heavy at 5.8oz the electronics were 5.2 unassembled including the plane. So the polycrylic and the paint I added brought the weight up quite a bit.

Ive seen a few brushless combo's on these little warbirds and it is amazing too say the least.

Not making sure the wing was properly secured is almost as funny as me thinking I glued the rear wing on upside down. LOL
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Nightmair

Just got one of each in the RTF version. They look amazing up close and the P-40 flew great. P-47 wouldn't turn right even with full right rudder...so I pinched the adjuster so will try tomorrow to see if the fix took.

I don't have time to build, so I am so happy Cox made these. The included Rx and Tx are 72 range and are very solid linked. I am still amazed thinking back how smooth the Warhawk flew....a little downtrim and it went straight as an arrow. When Cox gets these back in stock, I need more. When I cut the rudder, it just floooooated in...sweet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.