Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Cheap radio gear to throw into a Stryker?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Cheap radio gear to throw into a Stryker?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap radio gear to throw into a Stryker?

I still do not own a Stryker yet, but the date that I do is coming closer and closer (Xmas most likely). And I have been reading up about it and flying my ABC trying to get as much knowledge and flying experience that I could get. This is going to be my first Aerobatic plane ever. (my 3rd plane that I've owned) I was reading up some stuff and I read that the radio electronics absolutely stink.

When I turn 16 and get a job this summer, what Radio gear do you suggest if I wanted to put my own in and make this my first ARF build? For the Tx, I would like to know one that is around 100 bucks. (or less if possible) But I have been thinking about a 5 or 6 channel Tx if I wanted to try retractable landing gear. And suggestions with servos and esc's and all of that are needed.

If you are ok with this, could you put the price of the radio gear you suggest? Oh yeah, and because it is going into a stryker, V-tail mixing is a must. My budget is unknown because I don't have a job except for mowing a neighbors yard. Let's just say you suggest something that a 16 year old can buy.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Cheap radio gear to throw into a Stryker?

One thing that you may want to look into is a used radio on this site under the buy and sell icon on the top of this page. I just purchased a 6 channel futaba exa with reciever and four standard size servo's for under $100. I am sure that when you get a few bucks saved up this summer, there will be a good deal waiting for you right hear on this site. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
flyingace451

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Ebay is always another option but that is always a last resort for me. I don't want to go there unless I have to.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 AM
critterhunter

You can probably get a non-computer 6 channel radio new for under $100. The two main features you need are dual rates and V-Tail mixing. V tail can be added by plugging in a small board on the plane which will cost around $15 if the radio doesn't feature it. Dual rates isn't a must as long as you don't mind flying the plane in one response mode all the time. Even though I have dual rates on my radio, once I get the plane trimmed to the response I like I tend to not switch to lower rates anyway. I picked up the new JRSX 600 sport radio for about $159. I know it's a bit above $100, but it's a great price for a computer radio, 10 model memory, dual rates, v-tail (& other modes), and numerous other options. It comes with a 6 channel RX, four servos, and a TX charge pack and charger for it. The RX is small and light enough for the Stryker but the servos are too big in the package I got. However, I think you can order the radio with the RX and servos you want. I picked up and even smaller JR Sport 6 channel RX and also a few Hitec HS81 servos for the Stryker. Watch how cheap you go on a RX as many of the cheaper ones don't have the range you'll need. The JR ones are top of the line and will reach as far as you can see the plane and more. For a motor, you just can't beat the BP21 and 30 amp ESC combo deal from them for about $55 total. If you want to go with lipos, the cheapest out there are Dymond Motorsports. 3 cell 2000ma 10C lipo packs are only $35 a piece. The BP21 likes them and they will keep you in the air a LONG time.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
gleebs

I would also recommend the JR Sport line. I just purchased my first radio, the JR8103. In my research, I found fewer complaints about JR than any other. My buddy who has been flying for many years owns multiple JR radios and has used all others and highly recommends them. This newer sport line is an excellent way to get a computer radio at a good price. As critterhunter said, you can't beat a 6 channel computer radio at $160.