Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

[VID] YAY finally got my ABX :D

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

[VID] YAY finally got my ABX :D

Old 11-20-2005, 08:04 PM
AngryCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [VID] YAY finally got my ABX :D

Ive been visiting these forums for quite awhile, did alot of research on the ABX and the ABC, finally I chose the ABX. I made the decision for the ABX because of its better handling of stronger winds(living in ontario leads to alot of windy days), also for the fact it is basically the same as the challenger except larger. Previously i flew a firebird commander 2, got pretty good with that, and was really starting to see the disadvantages of the 2 channel system. So finally i went out and got the ABX, and i must say that it is a blast.
I have had some not so great landings, mainly because (i think) i was in sportmode and the elevator was not rising the plane fast enough. But once i got use to the controls and learnt that in sports mode it is kinda "sluggish", it was clear sailing. I was amazed that in even a 10km/h wind the plane can glide very well. I even got the nerve to attach my Pencam to the plane

heres the vid

Old 11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
critterhunter

Default RE: [VID] YAY finally got my ABX :D

Yep, great plane. I own a Challenger, Extreme, stock Stryker, and now a BP21 brushless Stryker on lipos. The Extreme is identicle to a Challenger...just bigger with a bigger motor and batteries. Both internal boards are the same. A few weak points...The FET in the Extreme is known to go bad. Gets too hot. You can replace it with a aftermarket FET (search this forum for info). I did this and it worked well. However, after a few hard crashes and two boards going bad (couldn't find the problem) I converted mine over to standard electronics. I loved the way it would handle high winds and LONG flight times with my 6 and 7 cell homemade 3300ma packs. The plane has got some great speed with the 7 cell packs...to the point where I folded the stock wing right where the carbon tube ends. So, stuck a longer carbon tube in it. I also made the tail out of coruplast and used DuBro control horns as the stock ones like to fail. This tail is much more durable as well. I'm now using piano wire to replace the fishing line and rubberband and this takes a lot of slop out of the flaps. This can be done with a stock bird using DuBro mini EZ links at the horns and the servos. Also put a carbon rod from tail tip to tail tip to keep it from flexing or going flat. Putting two big zip ties around the motor via the vent in front of it is a must, as well as a zip tie around the tail boom to keep it from popping out of place. Use a heavy rubberband around the canopy to prevent battery ejections. She'll land soft as a feather if you know how to glide her in INTO the wind. I've got to junk birds that I've ripped the 540 motors out of and will be installing them in a homemade foam build. The plane will carry a ton of extra weight so it's a great aerial platform. The plane will fight wind with no problem, has tons of power, and will do loops and other stunts well. I made my coruplast tail with slightly bigger flaps for some inverted flying and such. You can buy a new body for $20, wing for $20, make a tail, and throw standard electronics in it for an inexpensive but great plane.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:53 AM
foreverNight

Default RE: [VID] YAY finally got my ABX :D

Did you have to mod the camera? Or did you just attach it to the plane?