Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

it keeps on nose diving

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 PM
the bad pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it keeps on nose diving

i have a Hobby source RTF 4 channel electric patriot, i got it about a month ago and i cant get it up in the air, every time i launch it it flies about 3 feet and then just nose dives into the ground, i figured that the planes is nose heavy and tail light, so i at this point i dont know wat to do with it, can any one help me get this thing in the air, or at least to stop nose diving.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 PM
the bad pilot

Default RE: it keeps on nose diving

here the link, it has a small pic of the plane

http://store.1-nikkoradioremotecontr...a4chelrtf.html
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

if it is nose heavy, try moving the battery back until you get the CG right. if the battery is back as far as it will go but it still wont balance right, add some tail weight, or remove some nose weight. have you checked the CG on the plane? if the CG(center of gravity) is off, it wont fly right, or not at all. dont try and fly it anymore until you get it balanced properly. good luck!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Dr.Watson

i see that it says up to 70 MPH. i think that you need to just get a different plane to learn on, especially if this is your first plane. this is one of those toy grade planes that sucks people into spending money. i suggest getting a GWS Slow Stick to learn on. its cheap, easy to fly and repair, and just fun to fly.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
the bad pilot

the battery is stoored in a pretty tight compartment in the front of the plane so it wont move back any more, i dont really know witch is the correct weay to find the CG, and how would i ad tail weight, paper clips or sumthing?, the plane is already pretty heavy for its size
Old 12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Are you sure it's nose heavy and not an underpower situation.
From your discription it sounds more like the bird has no power.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 PM
the bad pilot

i dont think the plane is under power, when i put it on full throttle, its hard to hold onto it, if u let it go, ill fly right out of ur hand oabout 6 feet and then nose dive
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Glacier Girl

So you are saying the elevator has no affect on it?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 PM
the bad pilot

i seems like it, we put it on full throttle, chuck it as hard as we can and pull up all the way, but the elevator seems useless, i guess its the nose heavy probably, but ther is also a factor that when i try to fly it, ther is no wind.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Dr.Watson

it should say in the manual where the CG placement is. put a mark on each side of the wing where the CG is located(like it says in the manual). if it is nose heavy, ducttape some quarters to the rear of the fuselage until you get the proper CG.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Dr.Watson

there is also a possibility that you are stalling it by giving it full up elevator. check the CG, fix that problem, then try and fly it. give just enough up elevator to make it climb. i would say that the nose should be up at about 30-35Â*°. make small control movements. dont make any turns until you have some altitude.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Also something to consider when you are "chucking it" if your launching with nose up at a good angle it will cause tip stall and drop quick. Are you lauching this pretty level?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 AM
skid_68
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure your elevator isnt reversed, to find out if you are actually making it nose dive.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Glacier Girl

If the CG isn't listed in the manual, use the 1/3 cord rule.
Measure the wing from leading edge to trailing edge, divide by 3. First 1/3 is the CG starting spot. Example 3" from LE to TE, divided by 3 =1. Measure back 1 inch on the wing, this is the starting point to check the CG.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Leo L

Let's go back to basics. What is your level of experience? Have you flown other planes and cann't get this one to fly, or is this your first attempt at flying?

I will assume that you have very little, if any, experience with flying. Since this is an RTF plane, the CG has been set by the factory and should be adequate for at least getting the plane in the air. Try to find a large empty paved area where you can do a ground take-off test. First, check that all of the controls are working properly. Since this is a 4-channel plane, it is essential that the aelerons be properly set so that the plane doesn't try to rotate upon take-off. Accelerate the plane so that it reaches full throttle after about 20 ft. and let it roll on the ground until it starts to take off. If it does not take off on its own, pull back slightly on the control stick. As soon as the wheels leave the ground, return the control stick to neutral and cut the throttle to 60%. Let the plane fly for a few feet and then cut the throttle to allow the plane to set back down.

If the plane starts to turn while taxing on the ground don't try to correct it. Let it just take-off in whatever direction it chooses; if you try to steer it on the ground, you may not realize that the controls are not in neutral steer upon take-off. The plane will then immediately bank, loose altitude, hit the ground and cartwheel. Let the plane accelerate along the ground until it takes off.

If the plane "flew" successfully for a few feet, repeat the procedure but let it get a little more altitude and fly a little longer. Do this several times until you are confident to let it climb high enough for a full flight.

Your problem could be that the plane has too much torque upon full throttle hand launch. A number of planes, particularly ones with a lot of power, have a tendency to "nose over" when hand launched. The PZ P-51 is one of the most notorious. Check out the threads on the P-51 for suggestions on how to overcome this problem.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
AJ1202

Bad Pilot. after reading all these post I think your delima is simple, as GG said make sure your CG is right, don't believe just because it's a RTF it will be right, many planes CG is not right when you get them. It looks like your main problem is your trying too hard to get it airborn, you can't give it full elevator right after launch, you want to set elevator either level or just a tad up, launch the plane and let it lift on it's own. Once it gets going and gains proper air speed it will climb nicely on it's own. Then you can start giving inputs to take it higher, but keep them gentle, Also as Leo said you may want to try launching at 3/4 throttle to cut down the tourqe roll & or nose dive. I have found as a beginner ROG is harder than hand lauch as almost every plane I have will turn while starting off and adjusting for that is difficult, it requires 1 of 2 things, room to just let it turn till it lifts or experience to control it
Also you may want to find and read the thread here on this plane as I have read that it is bad about stripping the servo's out
EDIT: my mistake, it's not the Patriot that has a problem with the servo's
Good Luck with it
Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
the bad pilot

HURRAY, FINALLY GOT IT FLIENG TODAY...........followed shortly by a crash the broke the tail, i got pissed because i tried every thing u guys saids, so i gave it one more try and chucked it as hard as i could at full power, it flew but i saw it was losing altitude as a had the elevator puled up all the way, then out of know were it went into a huge vertical climb, i was shoked, flew around in circles, did sum loops, then i tried hovering it, worked for about 4 seconds, then the prop FLEW OFF THE SHAFT, and the whole plane just crashed back to the ground i CA'd the tail back up, now i just gota find out how to prevent the prop from coming off with out glueing it to the shaft
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Dr.Watson

if i were you, i would get some experience flying before trying extreme aerobatics. the plane is NOT designed to hover and do 3D. again, you did the full up elevator bit. give small easy control movements. as for the prob problem, is it just pressed on the shaft and held on by the spinner like the GWS direct drive motors do? if so, you could buy some GWS spinners from your LHS and try that.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
MAXXHEADROOM
My Feedback: (2)

this plane is giving everyone troubles .Its under powered adn the manual states dont throw it too hard.Also manual states to keep prop on use a little elmers glue.
Just got one and gonna go over it before i fly keep you posted on results
If you go to their website forum there is not one good thing thats said about this plane.