Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Futaba Skyport 4 channel radio

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Futaba Skyport 4 channel radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Skyport 4 channel radio

I'm looking for a good first radio. I've heard that this one is cheap, but decent.

I guess all I really want to know is does this radio have V-tail mixing? I plan on slowly making a Stryker ARF while training on my stock Styker.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba Skyport 4 channel radio

That's the radio I have and no, it doesn't have any mixing at all. No adjustments other than trim. You can buy a 'mixer' that plugs in between your Rx and your two servos and the chips on board do the mixing automatically for you, but that will set you back another $15 or so.

Futaba has a 4 channel computer radio that would more likely suit you if you are on a budget. If you have some more cash and know you'll be in the hobby for a while, the step up to a 6 channel computer radio isn't a bad idea.

www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSB5**&P=7
Old 12-27-2005, 04:09 PM
drunkenbushman

Do you need to have mixing with a stryker? Is it a must have or is it just a prefered?Cause i was going to use a Skysport 2 channel for my stryker as well.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
flyingace451

I actually think that you need mixing. There is a little gadget thingy that you can stick between your servos and Rx which does the mixing for you. I've never had experience with one of those before...but that might be the way you and I will have to go.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

I actually think that you need mixing. There is a little gadget thingy that you can stick between your servos and Rx which does the mixing for you. I've never had experience with one of those before...but that might be the way you and I will have to go.
You do need the mixing as you only have two control surfaces that move. The ailerons and the elevators are the same thing. They are called elevons.

As I have the Skysport 4 channel, I had to buy one of those devices to fly my wing (a Great Planes Slinger). It works well, but because of all the extra wires, I was not able to get the canopy on my Slinger.

If you haven't bought the radio yet, I'd seriously look at the prices.

Skysport radio with micro components + elevon mixer (at Tower) = $112
Computer radio with micro compoents = $140

The difference is $28.

One thing that I absolutely do not like on this radio and is almost worth the extra $28 is the lack of a battery meter on the radio. It has two LED's that tell you if the battery is good, but you don't know how good. You only know good (both LEDs on), Better land (flashing LED) and take your chances (Red LED on, Green LED off). Would you want to replace your gas gauge on your car with that kind of a set up? There have been at least two times I've gone to the field only to have to change my plans because I thought the Tx was charged when it wasn't.

I've been flying for two years now and I would like some of the features on a computer radio.

One are the model memories. No more switching switches for servo reversing or trims. Just select model.

Lo/High rates and exponential--you will appreciate this if you get into more high performance planes.

There are other things that a computer radio can do that makes setting up planes easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years time that you could even buy a radio like the Skysport. There will be a time when all radios will be computer radios.

BUT, and this is my last thought, if you really are looking for a radio that will last you for a while, you're going to want at least a 6 channel radio. So if you don't want to put out the cash for that now, you could save your money and upgrade later.