Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

I need some help with my Ultrafly Cessna 182

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

I need some help with my Ultrafly Cessna 182

Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 AM
wingswest
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help with my Ultrafly Cessna 182

I got the Ultrafly Cessna 182 from my LHS today. I was looking at the directions and it showed that i needed 3~5 servos. I was thinking it would just need 3 but when i saw 3~5 i questioned it and im wondering if the 2 extra servos are for the flaps, and if they are do I really need them? Im new to actually building planes cuz before i had an Aerobird. I really not to sure what i need as far as electronics either. I know serovs,but how many, a reciever,but how many channels and a tx (i have a heli and want to get one that i can use my plane and my heli with and i want something i will not have to upgrade with later when i progress in the hobby). I had looked at the JR 8103 and the Futaba 9c. Any input and help would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks, Cameron
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I need some help........

Cameron
Cannot comment on the JR radio, but the Futaba 9C will do everything you need plus some, maybe a bit over the top for your first radio, but an excellent choise, the 7c will do nerly all that the 9c will except for being able to change the postioining of controls on the swithches and with the 9c you can put hovering trim and high pitch trim on the side sliders, which is of great benifit, personnally I would go for the 9c and would reccomend it if you are computer literate.
I do not know the Cessna in question, but normally you would have 4 servo's on a full axis machine, some use 2 servo's for the ailerons one on each aileron, with either a Y lead into channel 1, or one servo into channel 1 and the other into channel 6 or 7 according to how you set this up in the transmitter, this would be a 5 servo set up with one on throttle, in an electric the throttle is replaced with a speed controller, therefore if one servo on ailerons one on elevator and one on rudder it would be three servo set up with the speed controller on throttle.
If the craft was IC powered with two servo's on the ailerons you would have five servo's in all two on ailerons, one on elevator, one on rudder and one on the throttle.
Hope that is clear.
Mike
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 AM
wingswest

I kind of understand it but im not too sure. Here is the manual if it helps any on the setup. I might end up going by my LHS and let them help me out. Thanks for the info. [link=http://www.ultraflymodel.com/manuals/ufla1000-manual.pdf]>>Ultrafly Cessna 182 Manual<<[/link]
Old 12-28-2005, 01:48 PM
gigelus2k3

I looked at the manual (80MB, yuck) and they talk about 5 channels: throttle, rudder (coupled with the front wheel for taxi), elevator, 2 X aileron and, optionally, flaps.

IMO, if your only experience is with an AB, you can skip the flaps part for the time being and use only 4 channels; you will need 4 servos (the aileron ones tied with a "Y" harness to the same channel).

You can add the flaps later.

As for the radio, the 9C is a very nice one.

Serban
Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 PM
wingswest

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help. I think ill just wait on the flaps like you said and i think im gonna go with the 9C. Thanks again, Cameron.

EDIT: I thought i would only need 3 servos becuase the throttle is just the esc. I didnt think i would need a servo for that.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:58 AM
BaldEagel

Wingswest
you only need a servo for the IC version not for the electric, you are correct that the esc will do that.
The Futaba 9C, as far as I could find out when I owned one the only thing it would not do was allow me to move the butterfly condition in the 4 servo wing sailplane to the side slider, I went to the Zap so that I could move it, as I fly all disciplines.
the dissadvantage of the Zap is its weight. If you are not worried about the butterfly flap condition go for the 9C.
Mike
Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 PM
wingswest

Changed my mind. Im doing the flaps so i will need 5 servos after all and im gonna buy the 9c
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 PM
BaldEagel

Wings
Good choice, go with flapperons combined with the elevator and put the flaps on the side slider, you will then have independant flaps on the slider and combined flaps and elevators on the elevator stick, this gives unbelivable tight loops and control, try up high first, you can switch it in and out, and also you can have three rates on a three postion switch with the last poss having everything switched in i.e. a 3D possition if your into that sort of thing (which I am) If I can be of any further help with programming etc: post me.
Mike

Happy new year to all.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:27 PM
wingswest

Ok, Thanks. Once i get everything ill post or PM you cuz it might be a while. Ive got a money issue
Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 AM
PlaneKrazy214

just charge it! lol ....just kidding