Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

Bleary,

Do you have any Vids of your strykers??

Regards

Paul.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Na,no vids,I fly by myself and have enough trouble with the trans,let alone taking video.I think Maineflyer and maybe BigcatFish are also flying birds with Align motors in them,one of them may have some video.To be honest I think you are really limited by your battery and ESC's ability to supply the amps as you prop up.I am using a 60 amp controller with a 20C 2100mh battery in mine,and it pulls @30/32 amps at WOT with a 6x4.The motor runs pretty warm on bench tests,but flying,she comes down cool enough with a mixture of WOT and just cruising.
    I got sick of swapping motors between planes,so I thought the Align was a good option,and it has proved to be so.
    If you want an all out speed demon,I would tend to favour the Mega,as you may be able to push it harder.
    The setups I have now are fast enough for me,while giving me the ability to go harder later on if I want.I also find that the plane gets very small, very quick at WOT.

My 2 cents FWIW.

Bleary.
    BBQ boys against censorship.com.au

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guy5927 - welcome back, long time no see!
    Does your Stryker still look like this? LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81387.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	409194  
    Regards
    KiwiKid

Vids: https://vimeo.com/user350538/videos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kiwikid, you've kept my picture ....? .... and yes , it still pretty much looks that way after nearly one year of flying it ... you know what they say, you only crash the planes that are hard to repair, never the ones that can be fixed in a jiffy .....

Thank you Catfish, gleebs, bleary and all the rest ....this forum is great ...

It's a brushless jungle out there.... so many parameters ....am I correct in assuming that high Kv means faster but less thrust and low Kv the other way around .... ?

It is just that I've ordered a p-51 , 2 9-cells and a 2000 lipo and I only want to buy one brushless + Esc ....

I do not need EXTREEM speeds, unlimited vertical etc etc .... just a tad faster than the stock motor on an IB1200 8-cell ...

The plan is to check stryker's speed ( stock motor) on the nine-cell ( might be heavy though, anyone tried that ? ) and also on the 3s lipo ....( timed flights because there is no lipo-cutoff )

Although I think the motor will degrade faster on these voltages ( how do you know your brushed motor needs replacing anyway ? )

If I get okay speeds on this, I might keep the brushless for the p-51 ....

choices, choices.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guy5927,
    9 cell NiMh works great with the stock motor. But the stock propeller makes it run too hot. Get the 5.3 x 3.3 LiPo propeller that is now offered by Parkzone.
    9 cell is a bit heavy, but you will still get great speed. 3S LiPo is even better due to reduced weight, but only the latest receivers have a jumper selectable LiPo cut-off. Your P51 should have this.

As long as the motor performs it does not need replacement

Hagar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guy 5927,
    Check out this web page for interesting info on Props, KV etc:
    http://www.justgofly.com/techfaq.htm
    Alot of guys use the stock motor mount and it works fine except for two minor problems - it will fall to bits in a high speed prang and the thrust angle is a little off for higher thrust motors.
    The stock mount can be reinforced to help it hold together under stress. Best mods are epoxying the bottom of the mounts as mentioned by BGCatfish1. Just tape the rear end so you form a sort of trough then fill it with epoxy - let set, flip over and do the other side. Putting the zip ties right through the fuse helps hold things together.
    The stock mount tends to make the Stryker want to climb at high speeds as the thrust line is designed for the stock motor whilst a B/L motor might be generating 2 or 3 times as much thrust or more. This can be compensated for by altering the CG or trim, but then the Stryker tends to dive with power off. If you have a computer radio with mixing function, you can set up a throttle
    to elevator mix so that when you increase the throttle the elevator is lowered. I recall a 30% mix was found to be best by Glacier Girl - so as the throttle is advanced the elevator is
    progressively dropped down to 30% of maximum throw. Haven't got around to doing this yet as I just rely on my elvator control skills, sometimes with interesting results!
    I flew a stocky on 9 cells for awhile and it performed quite well. Speed increased about 15/20%, but trade off was that the extra weight adversely affected the glide - conversley it handled the wind better, so worth doing.
    Performance on a Lipo will be better as weight is down and power is up, but only expect to get around 20 flights out of the 480 can as she will be screamin. The motor will let you know when it has had enough - they get rowdy and come down hot, then (if you keep going ) it will let out a nice little smoke trail mid flight and thats it.
    Check out this thread for going brushless on the P51 (ParkZone I presume - they are bringing out a Fw 190 in April) : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388075
    Regards
    KiwiKid

Vids: https://vimeo.com/user350538/videos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: guy5927

The plan is to check stryker's speed ( stock motor) on the nine-cell ( might be heavy though, anyone tried that ? ) and also on the 3s lipo ....( timed flights because there is no lipo-cutoff )

I've been flying the Stryker 27-B with the stock motor and the battery that comes with the PZ Typhoon, a nine-cell 1000 mah battery. It flies great and with plenty of speed for me. I've been using the regular prop, perhaps I should be using the li-po prop, but so far, so good.

Flights last a little over 10 minutes with 1/2 WOT and some gliding from up high.
    Not raining? Not too windy? Guess what I\'\'m doing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A lot of good info being passed around. Good job...

Bleary & Bigcatfish...sorry, mixed up the names.

The stock motor mount will hold up pretty well if you give it some strength mods. I'm just relying on the PVC tube I installed where the stock motor went to strengthen the two rings and the base. So far so good. I'd say the next weakest link would be the base of the mount where the rings are attached. While I haven't had any trouble with it, I did crack one once here because the prop hit something while I was testing the motor on a table. It torqued the mount sideways. I fixed this, and this probably could be prevented, by using a zip tie over the PVC in the middle and going through the body and around the plastic on the bottom of the plane. This will also hug it to the carbon rods as I have them crossing right there under the mount.
    I find in life that if you give people enough rope they often hang themselves, or at least have a mess of knots to undo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thank you all so much ...

Reading the justgofly-link will probably answer a lot of my questions ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently read something disturbing (think it was in the 3D forum) the other day about lipo life. I always thought the lipo would loose capacity due to normal use charging and discharging. It seems some are claiming a lipo will loose capacity just by sitting, and a good bit of it in just one year's time. Anybody care to confirm this or offer opinions? I also read somewhere (this thread I think) that lipos can be kept cool to prevent internal processes that can lead to less capacity or failure. I've got mine sitting on a cool cement floor in the basement (with nothing around them to help prevent fire). I'm guessing this floor is in the 55 to 65 degree range. However, I thought I read that you want to keep them in the refrigerator? A good overview of what state of charge to store lipos at and where to keep them would be helpful if anybody cares to educate us.
    I find in life that if you give people enough rope they often hang themselves, or at least have a mess of knots to undo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all:

Has anyone used the Balsa Products 60 amps ESC ($49.95 ) ? It looks like a good one and has many programable features.

I have been using the 30 AMPS Tower Pro (my first ESC) and it is great. When testing is has gone as high as 41 amps and I just reduce amps and it stays fine. Some other ESC do not seem to have any kind of oevr amp protection.

Thanks, Raymond
    Solo Guitar Professor/Composer
    Guitar Program at the Reitz Union
    University of Florida

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you got value out of the last ESC there guitarrarl,
    Been using similar gear,go for it i thinking,bargain.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Critterhunter,
    I must admit,I have beeen thinking the same thing about lipo storage.I have recently lost a couple of admittdly cheaper 1800 lipos,not to abuse I think,but because they have overheated in storage,where I am keeping them in a metal toolbox in the middle of my shed floor.
    I know it gets hot in there,summer is happenning down here.
    Perhaps they may be happier in with the beer in the fridge...
    Anyone got an opinion on that?

Bleary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Critterhunter,

[/quote]
    The stock motor mount will hold up pretty well if you give it some strength mods. I'm just relying on the PVC tube I installed where the stock motor went to strengthen the two rings and the base. So far so good. I'd say the next weakest link would be the base of the mount where the rings are attached. While I haven't had any trouble with it, I did crack one once here because the prop hit something while I was testing the motor on a table. It torqued the mount sideways. I fixed this, and this probably could be prevented, by using a zip tie over the PVC in the middle and going through the body and around the plastic on the bottom of the plane. This will also hug it to the carbon rods as I have them crossing right there under the mount.
    I know what you are saying about the stock mount,but IMO it is fatally flawed by having only two twin uprights supporting it,in parallel mind you.
    If the mount was supported on two axis,rather than one,it would be a lot easier to brace it.
    As it is,I find that I am adding reinforcing around the sides of an inherently unstable structure.
    No matter really,just trying for an ultrastrong metal mount....sure the torque effect weakens the epoxy.
    Bleary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oops,shouting,sorry not what I meant critter,
    Bleary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where is the best place to order one?

It seems like you all have fun with yours!
    Hows my flying???
    Call 1-800-EAT-(Censored by Moderator)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe one of the US guys can help you there,best bet,if you have a little experience,is to get a bare body,strenghten it with carbon rods,go balsa on your fins and elevons,and strap on a brushless with 3s lipos.
    Course I could be a bit biased

Bleary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope their are NO reported spontaneous combustions of charged lipos just sitting there being kept at room temperature , cause that's how I keep my helicopter lipo's ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No explosion or anything,one just swelled badly,so was disposed of in salty water.
    But can anyone say if it is better to keep them in the fridge or not??

Bleary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gandalfg77

Bleary,

Thanks for the info on the motors. I am leaning towards the Himax 2815-2000 with a jet 30 or 40 amp esc. How well does the align 400 compare with the mega? Do you have any vids of it? I have seen a couple of Himax vids, they are very impressive.

Regards

Paul.
    Gandalf,

I have both mega and himax motors. If it comes down to mega and himax I would recommend mega over himax. Mega, I think, are made better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: guy5927

It's a brushless jungle out there.... so many parameters ....am I correct in assuming that high Kv means faster but less thrust and low Kv the other way around .... ?
    Guy,

Maybe I am being technical. But to clarify this statement change the word thrust to torque. High Kv motors have higher speed but less torque, therefore cannot spin as large of props as those motor with less Kv.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did a little research and the answer was not hard to find. Greg Covey, the electrics moderator says that it is best to store lithium cells in freezing temperatures. You can check out the thread here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21.../anchor/tm.htm

Your welcome,

Glen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sure this information is posted in detail somewhere in of the threads, but could someone tell me the optimum prop for the BP21? Am I correct in thinking it is the APC 7x5E?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many are using a 7x6. You could also use an 8x4, 8x6, or 9x4 if you can clear the rudders.[X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that info on the lipos Gleebs,

Bleary

Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast