Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
drunken pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER, WAY PAST THE LIMITS! PART 4...

maybe it is the fact that winter is cold here (quebec, canada). I saw somebody say that lipos dont like cold and i didnt knew that... i thougt it was good as it could prevent overheat. I have some huge hole right in the middle of the nose for cooling... maybe thats too much []. i can go at about 3/4 throttle, just like bgcatfish(the red-blue-white guy). i think our problem is really similar

by the way i doubt those pictures represent people that really got hurt by plastik props.... groce but unreal! seems more like a guy that tryed to learn to use a katana[X(]...
Old 01-24-2006, 07:06 PM
KiwiKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drunken pilot
by the way i doubt those pictures represent people that really got hurt by plastik props.... groce but unreal!
Yes, I think most of those injuries were caused by IC engines, but as I said a brushless motor spinning a prop at 12,000 rpms or whatever can do the same damage - plastic props can be just as vicious as wood or nylon. Another pusher delta I have is a large beastie turning a 12 inch prop, this one still scares the pants off me at launch (which is kinda fun) and I get a huge prop wash in the face every time she blasts off. Pic below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Go41512.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	394665  
Old 01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
drunken pilot

and why cant i put a picture below my name on the left side... i go in my profile and change the foto but it still doesnt appears here [&:]
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
KiwiKid

Are you clicking on the OK button at the bottom of the profile page.
Check that the picture you are trying to load is not too big.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:58 AM
gleebs

Drunken pilot

Everything checks out ok, except you may not get much of a cycle life out of your batts. Those two batts in parallel will allow a safe continuous amp draw of 25.2A. Now by safe that does not mean your batteries will survive the high amp draw. It just means that your batts are designed not to explode. Both thunder power and kokam suggest no more than 80%C draw. For max cycle life more like 70%C. I have the same motor/speed control/prop combo and have not had problems. So just as you suggest as was posted earlier, gets your batts. warm first. Let me know if you still have problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 AM
XH2OMANN

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Looks like all the questions have been answered for now except "Which lipo to use with a BP21". Many of us less gifted humans don't have big money to blow. So, I prefer cheap as the main selling point. Many people don't realize that most of the lipos sold in the US are made in China by a handful of companies. When they get to the US they are wrapped and a brand name put on them. In other words, in many instances you are just paying for the name. Perhaps a bit of testing and quality control before it's shipped out. Many of us are using the Dymond Motorsports 10C 2000ma 3 cell packs ($30) with the BP21 and 7x6 with no problems. If 10C is the constant amp raiting that's a 20 amp constant ability. Since the BP21 is pulling around 16 amps my packs are only getting warm at a full WOT flight. Dymond also sells 12C and 15C packs now at low prices. You'll probably want 1200 to 2500ma packs. My 2000ma packs give some really long flight times...about all the time I want before I'm in need of a break between flights. Now there's a company called "World Hobbies" or something similar (look back a page or two on this thread) that is selling Lipos even cheaper than Dymond on Ebay and I may try these next. Whatever you buy, you need to consider a few things. MA, pack size and configuration (is it going to fit?), weight (the 2000ma Dymond pack weighs exactly the same as a 7 cell 1100ma nimh pack. Look back a few pages for weights I listed. Same weight or lighter is good), C raiting (Can it handle the amp draw? CxMA=Amp Ability. 10Cx2000ma=20 amps). I prefer the "3 cell sandwhich" design of these Dymond packs as it fits nice and easy into the F27 battery compartment.

Hunter
Where do buy your Dymond Batts. The price is right!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
critterhunter

Hey, like the looks of that big delta wing. Any free plans for it on the net and what size motor and batteries are in it?

Dymond lipos can be found on the Diamond Motorsports website. They sell a lot of RC stuff and I hear they have good prices. Never really looked anywhere other than the lipo section. They now have 10C, 12C, and 15C packs at REALLY low prices...about half the price of a "brand" name. You might also check out Ebay for a company called "World Hobbies" or something similar. Look in the E-Flite Powersources forum for a thread called "Where do you buy your lipo packs?" or something similar for the proper link. This guy's prices are even lower than Dymonds and I will probably buy from him next. This brings up an interesting question for everybody...What's the biggest capacity pack anybody on here has flown in a Stryker? Most of us are in the 2000 to 2200ma range, with other guys flying 1200 to 1800ma packs. Wonder if anybody is using something in the 2800ma or higher range and if the pack is heavier than a 2000ma pack?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 AM
mrfixit54016

[/quote]

everybody...What's the biggest capacity pack anybody on here has flown in a Stryker? Most of us are in the 2000 to 2200ma range, with other guys flying 1200 to 1800ma packs. Wonder if anybody is using something in the 2800ma or higher range and if the pack is heavier than a 2000ma pack?

[/quote]

I fly my stryker exclusively with PolyQuest 11.1V 3100mah Lipos. Love em'
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
flyingace451

How much do those 3100 mAh packs weigh compared to others?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
XH2OMANN

Hey, like the looks of that big delta wing. Any free plans for it on the net and what size motor and batteries are in it?

Dymond lipos can be found on the Diamond Motorsports website. They sell a lot of RC stuff and I hear they have good prices. Never really looked anywhere other than the lipo section. They now have 10C, 12C, and 15C packs at REALLY low prices...about half the price of a "brand" name. You might also check out Ebay for a company called "World Hobbies" or something similar. Look in the E-Flite Powersources forum for a thread called "Where do you buy your lipo packs?" or something similar for the proper link. This guy's prices are even lower than Dymonds and I will probably buy from him next. This brings up an interesting question for everybody...What's the biggest capacity pack anybody on here has flown in a Stryker? Most of us are in the 2000 to 2200ma range, with other guys flying 1200 to 1800ma packs. Wonder if anybody is using something in the 2800ma or higher range and if the pack is heavier than a 2000ma pack?

Do the Dymond Batts come with the connectors or do they have to be purchased as well?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
critterhunter

Dymond sells them with wire (very good quality wire, by the way) already attached or for (I think) $5 more they'll put whatever plug you want on it. I just bought them without the plugs as it's a simple matter to solder some Deans Ultras to the end and not worth paying $5 for them to do.

MrFixit, I'd also be interested in hearing the weight of those 3100ma packs to compare to my 2000s. 3100ma....Wow, can't imagine flying that long with a BP21. I'd really need a good long cigarette break after that. I can hardly get through a full flight with my 2000s without starting to wonder when the heck the pack is going to die.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
mrfixit54016

Dymond sells them with wire (very good quality wire, by the way) already attached or for (I think) $5 more they'll put whatever plug you want on it. I just bought them without the plugs as it's a simple matter to solder some Deans Ultras to the end and not worth paying $5 for them to do.

MrFixit, I'd also be interested in hearing the weight of those 3100ma packs to compare to my 2000s. 3100ma....Wow, can't imagine flying that long with a BP21. I'd really need a good long cigarette break after that. I can hardly get through a full flight with my 2000s without starting to wonder when the heck the pack is going to die.

215 grams
Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
drunken pilot

thanks gleebs.. u may be tru for my batts cycle life... ive been hard on them (they were my first lipos so.... time for experiences ) there's even one of them that balooned a little. I'll try to keep them warm, that could help. I think a 20C would be a safer buy next time []
Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
gleebs

ORIGINAL: KiwiKid

Yes, I think most of those injuries were caused by IC engines, but as I said a brushless motor spinning a prop at 12,000 rpms or whatever can do the same damage - plastic props can be just as vicious as wood or nylon. Another pusher delta I have is a large beastie turning a 12 inch prop, this one still scares the pants off me at launch (which is kinda fun) and I get a huge prop wash in the face every time she blasts off. Pic below.

What are IC engines?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
flyingace451

Cadetman, I think you need to get that "How to dispose of Lipos properly" post out here sometime soon. I'm going to lipo hopefully this summer once school gets out.[>:]

Your guess is as good as mine on IC, gleebs. My guess is a gas/glow engine.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:42 PM
five-string

flyingace451, I noticed in the recommendations for transmitters you suggested a Hitec laser 4 radio.

I am trying to decide on a good 4 channel tx for the future when I get a Stryker and was wondering about elevon mixing. DOes teh Laser have it? I am a little overwhelmed at what to get.

I don't want to spend big bucks on something I don't need but want a good reliable radio that will fly three channel planes, including the Stryker.

Help me decipher what I would need without over spending.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 AM
guitarrarl

Hi: When I first got my Stryker I got two very bad cuts and the motor was only a 400 with MNH batt! Imagine a brushless.

Raymond

maybe it is the fact that winter is cold here (quebec, canada). I saw somebody say that lipos dont like cold and i didnt knew that... i thougt it was good as it could prevent overheat. I have some huge hole right in the middle of the nose for cooling... maybe thats too much []. i can go at about 3/4 throttle, just like bgcatfish(the red-blue-white guy). i think our problem is really similar

by the way i doubt those pictures represent people that really got hurt by plastik props.... groce but unreal! seems more like a guy that tryed to learn to use a katana[X(]...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
guitarrarl

Hi: Ohh I love that plane and would like to make one. Do you have the plans on PDF ?Raymond
ORIGINAL: KiwiKid

by the way i doubt those pictures represent people that really got hurt by plastik props.... groce but unreal!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:25 AM
KiwiKid

Critterhunter & guitarrarl - the delta pusher (I call it the Mirage) is a one off scratch build - unfortunately no plans are available. It started life as a ridge soaring glider and I bought the body about fourth hand at our clubs annual bring and buy sale for $30. It then cost me around $450 to power it up with a 3000kv motor and 4:1 gearbox swinging a 12x8 prop, with a 40 amp ESC. I am currently using a TP 2300 lipo as this hit the sweet spot for the CG without having to add any weight. I had to dig a grave in the nose coming up under the cockpit from below to fit
the battery in. Electrical wiring therefore runs the whole length of the fuse which is blue foam covered in fibreglass so I had some interesting electrical engineering work to do and had some scary flights getting the CG right. Wings and tail are standard built up balsa and film. When I got it, it was just plain with white wings and a yellow fuse. I thought it looked a bit like some of the early Mirages so did it up in French livery. Flys brilliantly and is still an excellent ridge soarer. I just have to remember that it is not a Stryker! Couple more pics for your info.

Gleebs and Flyingace - yes IC is gas/glow. Sorry, must be some local jargon I picked up - IC is internal combustion!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26381.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	395633   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43261.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	395634  
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 AM
dschmid37

Hi all,
I am a bit of a newbie with the electric stuff, and I've had my Stryker for about 8 months. I am ready for a speed upgrade so I just purchased two 8 cell NiMH pack from "Batteryspace" for my stock stryker and thought that would satisfy me for now. However the more I read the posts on this form (yes I've read all 4 parts!), the more I want to spend. I'm concidering the BP21 and BP30 amp esc with the APC 7x6 combo that seems to be working with you guys, but am still a little nervous about lipos. My question is, can I use the NiMH pack with this set-up? I e-mailed Balsa Products and asked them. They said as long as my packs could handle an 11 amp discharge. I read here that you guys are drawing 20 amps with this set-up.

The packs I bought had this listed as features...

"9.6V, 1100mAh battery pack is made of 8 pcs matched 2/3A NiMH cells with High drain rate
10 C discharging rate ( 11A) for hi power application"

Should I attempt this or wait untill I am comfortable with the Lipos? I have the Hobbico MKII field charger which can charge Lipos but I believe this is an entry level charger when it comes to charging Lipos. EEEEKS those Lipo fire pics! What to do, what to do.........

Thanks in advance for your replys!
Dan
Old 01-26-2006, 06:41 AM
critterhunter

Kiwikid...nice build. That thing must look like a UFO in the air. What's it's top speed?

The 2000ma Dymonds are 145 grams (exact same weight as the stock 7 cell 1100ma nimh packs) and your 3100ma packs are 215. I guess that's the price you pay for going up in capacity. Still, since the BP21 weighs much less than a brushed 480 you can save some weight there, not to mention a small RX. I take it you're mounting the battery pack right in the battery chamber and not forward at all?

Five String, I would highly recommend you check into the new JR Sport line of radios. I ended up picking up a JRsx600 6 channel this past summer for $159. They also have a 4 channel if you really want that for (I think) $99. As others told me I would buy a radio with the most number of channels you can afford. 6 is about the magic spot where you have enough channels to fly planes with various flight controls, as well as have room for future upgrades (such as retracts, air breaks, etc). I'd also try to get a computer radio as they off more features that you won't outgrow. Mainly, in a Stryker you'll want V-tail or Delta control, dual rates, and expotential is a plus but not really needed. The RX that came with my JR sx600 will work fine in a Stryker. It's small and light enough and I flew one in it for a while. However, I ended up buying an even smaller JR Sport RX for that plane, and sticking the other into my Extreme.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:56 AM
critterhunter

Dschmid37, the problem with nimh packs is you gain a lot of weight to push the voltage (add cells) up near where the BP21 is wanting to run at it's best. That's the beauty of lipos. They offer about twice the capacity of a nimh pack for about the same weight, not to mention a much higher voltage that it will "hold" through much of the flight. Although, Cademan and a few others have ran nimh packs on the BP21 for a while. He can clue you in on the best prop size for how many cell packs you are using. As for your charger being an "entry level", there isn't much room to wiggle between one lipo charge and another so I wouldn't worry about it. Amp draw depends on voltage. As voltage goes up so do the amps. I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the BP21 with 7x6 and 3 cell lipo is pulling around 16 amps at WOT on the watt meter. Got to get me one of those.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 AM
five-string

Thanks Critter. I haven't considered the JR line of radios yet. I was mainly focused on Futaba and Hitec. I will check into the JR's as well.

When looking at servos, am I right in thinking mini or micro servos are what park flyers use?

Appreciate the help.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 AM
mrfixit54016

Dschmid37, the problem with nimh packs is you gain a lot of weight to push the voltage (add cells) up near where the BP21 is wanting to run at it's best. That's the beauty of lipos. They offer about twice the capacity of a nimh pack for about the same weight, not to mention a much higher voltage that it will "hold" through much of the flight. Although, Cademan and a few others have ran nimh packs on the BP21 for a while. He can clue you in on the best prop size for how many cell packs you are using. As for your charger being an "entry level", there isn't much room to wiggle between one lipo charge and another so I wouldn't worry about it. Amp draw depends on voltage. As voltage goes up so do the amps. I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the BP21 with 7x6 and 3 cell lipo is pulling around 16 amps at WOT on the watt meter. Got to get me one of those.

I will also add that I started out with NiMh packs from Battery space and they are good buys for the money. I eventually even opened up the packs and made some 10 cell packs for more power. They will power the BP21, but I agree with Critter, you will not realize the true potential of the BP21 until you go Lipo. Don't worry about your charger. I am still using an inexpensive $30 Lipo charger for my Polyquest Lipos, and as long as you place the Lipo in a steel box during charging, and your charger has been designed to charge the Lipo batterys, then you are taking all the necessary precautions. I see it this way, look at how many people are using Lipo power today.... and you only hear an occasional story of something going wrong. Be smart and be safe about it. You will never go back once you have tried Lipo power!

Also, make sure to secure your packs into the plane with velcro straps to avoid ejecting them during flight, or during a hard landing. As was stated by Cadetman, if the Lipo hits the concrete hard, it could do damage to the pack and cause you to dispose of it. Make sure if you ever had to dispose of a lipo, that you follow the proper instructions. Don't ever bring a suspicious Lipo into the house.

Again, just be smart and be safe and most of all, have fun!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 AM
mrfixit54016

Regarding the Hitec Laser 4.

Nice radio, I have the Laser 6. They both have the elevon mixing you need for the Stryker. BUT I agree with the others, if you can wait a while and get a newer radio, especially a computer radio ( Look at the Optic 6) you will be much happier in a few months. If you can program your VCR, you can use the new computer radios. Don't shy away from them if you can afford it.

If you can't afford it, PM me with an offer on my Laser 6, and then I will go buy an Optic. [&:]

-Eric

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.