Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

typhone 3d

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 AM
kekmin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typhone 3d

is this a good durable plane
Old 01-17-2006, 09:12 AM
netdudeuk

Default RE: typhone 3d

While those with this model will no doubt respond, I'll just say that, at last, it seems to be here in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sussex Model Centre (http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/Typhoon-5718.htm) seems to have it in stock now and the plug and play version is less than £90 ! I suspect that they also have the full setup at less than list price (£143.99). I'd _definitely_ have had one myself but I've just spent a small fortune on something more expensive as I got tired of waiting for it to land here. And just a week ago too. Bummer !
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 AM
netdudeuk

BTW, it may be helpful if people knew what flying experience you already have.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 PM
kekmin

been building and flying on and off 25 years own 9 gas planes

never did electric
Old 01-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Iturnright

As far as I know there really isn't anything that radically different flying an engine vs motor, so I'm fairly sure you are fine. As far as durability goes, it is most likely more durable than most of the flat foam planes out there, which still means it won't take too much, but I wouldn't expect anything but a serious crash to destroy the plane. Fortunatley foam is more likely to break off in chunks rather than explode in a million pieces, so durability should be decent.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
netdudeuk

If you go to www.parkzone.com and select the Typhoon you can see the parts listing on the right hand side. You can also download the manual and see a parts and price listing in there. My point being that if something does get broken, it shouldn't be too hard or too expensive to replace it. With your experiences though surely you aren't going to be breaking it anyway ? I suspect that this is going to fly way slower than your gas models do !

If you do a search across the other forums you will see that some people have complained about servos stripping but I really cannot comment on whether it is a real issue or not. I've seen some people say it's been a problem and then others say it's not. You'll need to decide that for yourself.

FYI, there are a couple of vaguely similar models from Parkflyers - www.parkflyers.com, the Edge 540T and the Gee Bee. There's a long thread about the former in this forum but little has been reported back about the latter.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

There have been a couple guys at my club who have recently purchased these Typhoons and they also fly nitro ect... The Typhoon proved to be a new challenge for them. I have had one myself for several months now and it has been just a blast to fly 3D or sport. I fly with LiPo's , Spektrum radio and Hitech servos. Some of the tricks i can do are pretty much impossible with gas or nitro planes. I am using stock electrics for power which are a proven combo with LiPo for excellent power and flight time.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 PM
maxwellmark

How's this...
On full throttle take off got about 10 feet up and lost control (new pilot training). Plane rolled left and nose down. Hit pavement hard. Prop was fine, cowl had some cracking (fixed with packing tape on inside, bent prop shaft but able to straighten it with 2 crescent wrenches, fuselage broke from leading edge to center cockpit I used xtra thick ca to bond it and held tight with strips of clear packing tape. Made all repairs before the battery was charged all of about 30 minutes down time. Back in the air for 2 more battery cycles flew perfect. Fuselage repair is almost unnoticeable. Following day, I replaced cowl $2.50 and prop shaft/w/gear $2.30.... not bad.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Im not new to flying but when i got this plane it was a new experience. Im not a havy 3-d guy so i put the seed prop on and shifted the battery to the back of it's respectable compartmnt. Lets just say the nitro planes might have to take a break cause his thing is a ball!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:04 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this plane and I have crashed it 3 times. No real major damage except the bigger prop shattered on the 3rd nose dive into a parking lot a 1/2 mile away. Also have had to CA the firewall backinto place twice. Needless to say, be carefull if there is ANY wind. A small breeze is fine, but a gust of wind can carry this thing a decent ways away before you get get it turned around.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:32 AM
muddy udders

Flex the elevator and rudder hinges really good before hooking up the servos. These servos strip easily they dont like to be moved by hand or by a hard landing. I swapped mine out after a few gear changes to some Jr 331's. Another weak point is the tail wheel mount on the fuse I have seen a few torn off on harsh ground slaps but some ca and packing tape fixes them right up.