Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Gear on Slowstick

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Need Help with Gear on Slowstick

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 AM
madman4049

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Gear on Slowstick

Hello all I just recently bought a GWS Slowstick with the 300 Motor. I had read that the plane doesn't mind a little extra weight so until I can get smaller servos and reciever I am using 2 Futaba S3004 Servos and my 7 Channel Futaba reciever. My question however is what battery do I need and which ESC do I need? I am looking to stick to GWS brand for now. Please help This is my first electric and I have only run large and medium sized nitro.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help with Gear on Slowstick

This ESC will do you nicely:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUZ0&P=7

As far as batteries go, your servos and RX are already adding 3 oz more than if you used some Hitec 55's and a parkflyer Rx. That's a lot. I'd recommend maximum 7C 650 mah nimh. You could go to smaller batteries, but your flight times will be very low. You'll get about 10 - 12 minutes from a 650 mah cell.

That would weight about 1 oz than my heaviest setup with the 300 motor. Don't expect riveting performance.

Cheap battery packs has a 750 nimh cell that looks good.

You could try a lighter 2S lipo (at least a 1500 mah 8C pack). Don't own Lipos yet, so can't comment on how a SS would fly with them, but you'd save some weight.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
rcboatnut

It would be my advice to stay away from GWS electronics, they make a great plane but I have seen a lot of people with a lot of trouble with some of there electronics. I like castle creations speed controls very much, I have 6 of them and they all work great, I would recommend the Pixie20P and Hitec makes a gread radio for the money and the HS55's are the bee knees for parkflyers, there new 5 channel single conversion receiver is great I have 4 of them and no problems. Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Time Pilot

And you'll hear about many people having no problems with the GWS Electronics.

If you respect the specs of the equipment, you'll likely not have any problems.

Depending on your area, you may have some interference with your Rx. You won't know until you ask around or try it yourself. I originally spent around $70 on a Berg Rx so I wouldn't have to worry about interference. I didn't need it, as the GWS Rx Naro works just as well.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
madman4049

Will I be alright with the standard sized Futaba S3004 servos and the 7 ch standard sized reciever. I understand that this is heavier than desired but I have also heard that the slow stick will actually fly better with a little weight. My primary concern right now is getting the right ESC, and battery. By the way thanks for all of your help so far. This small electric stuff is confusing to a nitro guy. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
rcboatnut

The stuff will work if it will fit, I hope the servos will fit in the supplied holders and the receiver might need to go some where else than the shown location in the manual. I still think you should get a Castle creations pixie 20P they are great and work with Nicd,Nimh and Lipo, since you are not a new pilot you should not need to start with Nimh battires in case you crash alot, they will hold up better, and unless you only have a battery for Nicd, and Nimh than you should go that route, something in the 1000 to 1100 mah range 2\3A cells will give you decent flight times, if you want to step up to Lipo something in the 2000 to 2300 mah range will work and 2 cell that will give you more flight time than you can stand. sorry to keep pushing non GWS electronics but that's what I have and have found to work very well and most people think the same, but you can always find a bad experience in any product.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Time Pilot

I'm still skeptical about putting standard sized servos and Rx on a SS with 1100 mah nimh batteries. That is half a pound of extra weight you are asking this stock bird to haul up.

You might try looking in the Aerial photography forum here and see what people are doing to their slow sticks when they start piling weight on them. Beefing up the landing gear and reinforcing the wing is usually a first priority.

But I'm not sure how many you'll find doing AP with a stock SS and a heavy pack and a camera. They would be the ones to ask though, because they are doing some heavy hauling.

As far as a SS flying better when it is heavier, it depends on whether you are flying it in gusty and variable winds or when it is calm. A heavier SS will fly better in unfavourable wind conditions, but you have to remember that this bird really isn't designed for wind anyway. Don't expect a heavier SS to fly on rails in these conditions. It will still be blown all over the place, but the effect will be dampened somewhat.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 PM
joeman11
My Feedback: (6)

I use the ics400 GWS esc. I thought that was better considering that it went up to 15 amps continuous, where the ics300 GWS esc can only handle 8 amps continuous, which is convieniently where the motor pulls at wot. I have 2 GWS 750 mah aaa battery packs, and each gives me around 6-8 minutes depending on flying characteristics. Another bonus is that those battery packs are only $9.45 on towerhobbies. The esc is only $14.00. Hope this helps, happy flying,

joe.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
joeman11
My Feedback: (6)

I should have been more specific, the battery pack is the GWS 8.4 volt 750 mah nimh battery pack.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:46 PM
lrcacpal

hello. pls help... about Accipiter Badius (AB), my AB two-servos and motor are not functioning properly. aervos and motor is not stable.. i think the term is GLEATCHING.. looks like there's interference happening. What should i do and replace? Thanks.

Louie-Philippines
Old 02-08-2006, 11:59 PM
madman4049

hey all will the gws 7 cell 8.4V 750 MAH pack work alright with the 300 motor? Also what ESC should I get? I am looking to buy GWS electronics. While I am on this let me list what I am going to get. Let me know if all of this will work together?

RECIEVER- GWS Naro 6 reciever with standard futaba pins
ESC- GWS ICS 300 ESC with futaba plugs
BATTERY- GWS 7 cell 8.4V 750 MAH
SERVOS- Hitec HS55 with futaba plug

Thanks for all of your input guys. Like I mentioned earlier this electronic stuff is confusing to a guy who has done nothing but nitro.

Thanks again
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Time Pilot

That combination will work fine on a SS.

The GWS batteries are adequate for the 300 motors.

The only thing to watch out for is the horizontal stab. After a while it seems to sag and you get a lot of binding when deflecting that surface. I think this may have killed one of my HS55's. I don't know what the answer is to that. I'm going to use a bit of carbon fiber on the 3mm thick foam I bought which should take care of much of that problem (I hope!).

I don' t know if this will help you, or not, but think of the battery as the source of power. The voltage of the pack and how many amps (current) it can adequately provide will determine how much power the plane will have. The job is then to find a motor that can handle the amount of power you are going to put through it and then look for a prop/gearbox combination that will give you the thrust/speed you are after.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 PM
superinstaller

Try and checkout gwsexpert.com thay carry everything for the slow boogy and good prices, I went with the newer 400 motor and the ics 480 also using the 8 cell mnhi batts quite happy with the power, of course im still a newb! And remember you can fix anything w/ clear packing tape and cut strips of that clear plastic thay package things in.