Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone NEW FW-190 Butcher Bird

Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone NEW FW-190 Butcher Bird

Alex,
Very nice flying! Great video. I enjoyed it.

If this were in black and white, with some imperfections in the film, it could be footage of Europe in 1945!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:52 PM
jbajor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GREAT video! I just bought my FW-190 today... Film at 11...!

Jordan
Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 AM
Venom_14

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone!

I know what to do know when i film my next vid.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
GSD Guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All, First post here, have been really learning alot on this forum. I was wondering what all your opinion's would be as making the FW-190 my second plane. I have been flying my Hobby Zone Super Cub for a couple of weeks, all flights have been successfull. But am already getting the urge to upgrade. Do you think this plane is too advanced to be my next step? Other than the SC, my only experience is with my G2 version of realfight. It will be at least another month or so before I have the finances for this, so i will get some more stick time in with the SC, but this bird looks good, and is calling my name...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
ginster vr6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GSD Guy

Hi All, First post here, have been really learning alot on this forum. I was wondering what all your opinion's would be as making the FW-190 my second plane. I have been flying my Hobby Zone Super Cub for a couple of weeks, all flights have been successfull. But am already getting the urge to upgrade. Do you think this plane is too advanced to be my next step? Other than the SC, my only experience is with my G2 version of realfight. It will be at least another month or so before I have the finances for this, so i will get some more stick time in with the SC, but this bird looks good, and is calling my name...
I'm in the same boat as you. I have the super cub and love it. I'm trying to decide if I should get the FW-190 or the P-51. I have heard all the short comings about the P-51 and that had me thinking about the 190. But I really love Mustangs so I'm torn. Those that have both let me know what I should do!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 PM
tclaridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GSD Guy,
I would think the FW-190 is a good third plane. Warbirds are a handful, although it seems that this one is well behaved. I flew my Aerobird Extreme over 100 times before my first warbird, and it was a good thing. Warbirds are much faster than trainers, and they go where you point them. If you can fly a warbird in your G2 sim consistently without crashing, then you may be able to do it.

My advice is to wait until you feel like you have done everything you can with your SC. Loops, touch and gos, etc. Then if you have about 30 flights and a few hours of sim time. You are ready. Just fly in a big, big open space to give you room for errors.

Good luck and let us know if you go for it!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
WRXpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maiden shouldn't be too far off for me now, once I get the new wing.

How does the plane fly on the low-rate set up as the manual instructs? Just doing a radio check, the elevator deflection looks terribly small with the clevis in the last hole out on the control horn. Is the plane THAT pitch sensitive, or should I look into moving the clevis up a hole in the control horn if I want to fly on low rates?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
racer-mech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Out the box the plane is pretty tail heavy, so for initial flights clevis settings were fine. You will probably move them in but it will keep the plane tame. Although elevator deflection looks minimal, it's the same answer. I think for the first flight i'd have someone else throw the plane if possible.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Venom_14

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think for the first flight i'd have someone else throw the plane if possible.
i did, which lead to a successful flight as i wanted to have full control with both hands on takeoff, just in case, i could cut the throttle, turn and climb. but once its climbing you'll find it is a very stable plane!

Out the box the plane is pretty tail heavy, so for initial flights clevis settings were fine. You will probably move them in but it will keep the plane tame
My plane is fine, all i have done is add the extra nose weight, maybe i have just been lucky.

Alex
Old 08-23-2006, 11:28 AM
WRXpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright, my replacement wing came, minus the decals, but everything was straight so I put it all together. I have a couple questions beforer I maiden the plane though:

First - how important is it that the front of the wing belly pan slides up under the back of the cowl? Mine just won't go, so the front ~1/8" of the belly pan on my plane is sitting on top of the cowl. I'm just afraid that this might "catch" on something during landing, possibly taering the beely pan off the wing. I'm not sure how to fix this if it is a problem, maybe I can force it under if I re-mount the wing after taking the cowl off, then force the cowl over the belly pan.

Second - what's the average flight time on the stock 1000mah NiMH batteries? They advertise 10-15 minute flights, is that accurate, or should I plan on less?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 PM
PkZn Flyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WRXpilot,
I've had the belly pan outside the cowl for a few months now. With about 20-30 flights nothing has broken off. As long as its not a hard crash your fine. As for the batteries, its pretty much 10 mins. if you fly at WOT than it's more like 8.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:29 PM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the leading edge of the belly pan is a grass catcher...i would recommend just leaving it alone...if you wish, however, you can tuck it inside the cowl...alternatively, you can either tape it to the outside of the cowl or trim it and tape it to the fuse with clear tape...my gripe about the belly pan is the use of double sided tape to secure it to the wing...i added servo screws to ensure the belly pan will not separate from the wing... all in all a minor issue in light of how wonderful the model flys...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the rear edge of the belly pan tuck into or lays flat on the surface of the fuse.?
Good idea about the tape on the front. I was also thinking about removing the plastic cowling and using some reinforced tape on the inside like prepping a new lexan slot car body. It would put some slight weight forward. It would help from a minor bump from cracking it like an egg shell. Same idea with the PZ P51.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the rear of the belly pan lays flat on the outside of the fuse...the cowling on the fw190 is much more resistant to breakage than the cowling of the p51...i believe it's pvc and not plastic...i guess a little reinforcement tape wouldn't hurt though i don't see a need for it...weight gain is a non-issue...i've got over 2 oz of lead in the cowl to get her balanced and flying superbly...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
WRXpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I maidened last night; unfortunately I can't say she was very much fun this first time. Although the plane was balanced right-on according to the instructions, it definitely flew tail-heavy. I was fighting it the whole time to prevent it from going nose-up; I will definitely be adding the additional prop nut for future flights. Additionally, the tail was wagging (yaw instability) all over the place, making the plane even more squirrelly to fly. I think (hope) this was caused by too much antenna hanging off the vertical stabilizer; I've minimized how much hangs off to about 6", hopefully that will solve that issue.

Sadly, on the (rather hard) landing the fuse broke clean in two right behind the wing/pilot; this has happened to at least a couple other people as this thread from another part of the site shows:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4570588/tm.htm

This is a picture from that thread; it isn't my plane, but it could be:

It broke cleanly from the hole in the top of the fuselage for the pilot figure to the back corners of the wing cut-out; obviously the weak point on this plane. IMO ParkZone should consider rethinking the way they mount their pilot figure; cutting an extra hole in the top of the fuselage doesn't seem the best solution for maintaining the strength of the model.

Of course, the advantage of these foam models is that after 20 minutes of work with some gorilla glue and packing tape, I'm ready to fly again since the plane suffered no other damage.

Hopefully I'll have better luck without 10"+ of antenna hanging off the back of the plane and it balanced a little more forward.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:11 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You had to add 2oz of extra weight using the stock system?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2.5 oz to be exact...along with one heavy prop nut...even the esc is in the cowl...i'm running an inrunner bl setup...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
9thLife

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

racer, can you describe your setup? I want to go brushless, but am unsure of how to mount the motor. Are you using a direct drive system or gearing? What motor are you using?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

9th,

inrunner in the stock gearbox...e-flite 6 series 2000kv motor, e-flite 40a esc, robinson racing 12t 32p pinion gear, stock prop...hardest part is getting the motor in the gearbox...look at the pz p51 thread for info on bl motors and set ups others are using...good luck...
Old 08-27-2006, 05:52 AM
drebins2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

we have all this chat about the p51 and the 190 but has any 1 gone brushless yet and if so wot have u got in it and were can i get 1 from????
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Solcat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 08-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Bonefisher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello everyone...

Just finished maidening my redone FW190....

Flying with a brushless 3000KV AON Thrust Motor (awesome)... Thunder Power 3 2100.... stock pinion gear and gear box... Castle 35ESC and a Spectum reciever...

HS81MG Servo in the wing and the Spectrum mini for Elevator....

Well power is no longer an issue... lept from my hand and flew away like a banchee.... Was just getting it trimmed out and turned the plane back around and saw stuff FALLING from the aircraft... well.... guess I did not tighten the front nut and weight enough with the new power and they spun off... lost the prop, spinner, hub, nut, and weight....

Good news is I was high enough that I could glide the plane right back to my feet... no damage at all... found everything but the prop nut and extra weight..... so.... considering what happened... not too bad....

Question for all... I went to Hobbyzone and Horizon... they both sell the prop nut... but not the extra weight... Can ANYONE help on how to locate?

Summary -- the AON motor with stock pinion and prop worked like a champ.... Next time, some locktight on the prop nut and I will be able to give more of a rundown....
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 AM
gunracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bone,

is this what you're looking for?...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1608

did that aon drop right into the gearbox?...what prop and batt are you using?...also, what's your amp draw and input watts?...
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM
WRXpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bonefisher

Question for all... I went to Hobbyzone and Horizon... they both sell the prop nut... but not the extra weight... Can ANYONE help on how to locate?
The extra weight is just a prop nut with a screw put through it. As far as I know, they don't sell the prop nut w/ screw separately, so we're stuck buying a second prop nut and finding a screw for it on our own. It seems that the second prop nut was never really intended w/ the original design.

Sorry, though it shouldn't be too hard to find a screw that will work.

Update on my FW190: I'm now awaiting a new prop shaft after bending mine on the (very short and unsuccessful) 2nd flight. No new airframe damage though, which was nice.

Has anyone had luck straightening these shafts? It bent right where the threaded and smooth parts of the shaft meet. I tried hammering it back true, but this thing is hard and isn't going back to true, even hitting it good and hard w/ a regular hammer. Anything more and I risk damaging the threads I think. Any alternative methods, or should I just wait for the replacement?

Also, as might be predicted, along with bending the motor shaft, the pinion spun off the motor. After a dab of thread-locker and gorilla glue it seems back on there for good again. Am I fooling myself here and just setting myself up for another crash? I did order a new motor and spare pinions, which I'll use if I have to, but if the one I have now is still good, I'm obviously not going to rush to replace it.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Bonefisher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gun Racer / WRX PILOT,

The AON does drop right in... it is very light and powerful... I am using the stock prop and ThunderPower 3C 2100.....

I have not played around with the props as this one is pulling 34 amps WOT static, so about 28-30 or so flying... I have a castle 35esc so I should be fine.

Should be pulling 250 watts or so....

Cool thing is the AON T2815-3000 with the 1/8 shaft drops right in and uses the stock pinion gear....

Thanks for the help on the prop weight... think I am just going to have to fashion one....

Cool thing too with the Spektrum.. NO antenna hanging out of the plane....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service